• 1 Post By Taranteacher

Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Muppets Most Wanted (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

While on a grand world tour, The Muppets find themselves wrapped up in a European jewel-heist caper headed by a Kermit the Frog look-alike and his dastardly sidekick.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Disney - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 107/117 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 High Resolution, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell, Tina Fey, Steve Whitmore, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Bill Baretta, David Rudman, Matt Vogel, Peter Linz
Directed by: James Bobin
Music by: Christophe Beck
Written by: James Bobin & Nicholas Stoller
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 12, 2014

"Taking the world by farce"

My Take:

Two Frogs! One Pig! Intrigue! Music! Mayhem! Muppets! There’s plenty of fun for the whole family as Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Animal and the entire Muppets gang head out on a world tour. But mayhem follows the Muppets, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper. Now Kermit is behind bars at the mercy of prison warden Nadya (Tina Fey), and the World’s Number One Criminal, Constantine—a dead ringer for Kermit—has taken his place.

As Constantine and his dastardly sidekick Dominic (Ricky Gervais) plot the robbery of the century, they are pursued by Sam Eagle and Interpol agent Jean Pierre Napoleon (Ty Burrell). Will Constantine get away with his nefarious scheme? Will Kermit escape in time to save the day?

Muppets Most Wanted picks up immediately following the events of 2011’s “The Muppets,” and takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour, selling out grand theaters in some of Europe's most exciting destinations, including Berlin, Madrid, Dublin and London. But trouble soon follows the Muppets overseas, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime spree headed by Constantine-the World's Number One Criminal and a dead ringer for Kermit the Frog, who just made his escape from a Russian Gulag and his dastardly sidekick Dominic (Ricky Gervais), aka Number Two, who has signed on to be the Muppets tour manager. In addition to Ricky Gervais the film stars Tina Fey as Nadya, a feisty Gulag prison guard, and Ty Burrell as the investigating Interpol agent Jean Pierre Napoleonas.

While there is little contained in Muppets Most Wanted that feels original the tried and true formula that makes them entertaining and perfect family fun remains. The two stage plot surrounding the caper by the dastardly duo of the impersonating Constantine and Dominic Badguy and Kermit’s capture (mistaken for Constantine) and transfer to the Gulag where he encounters a musically inclined band of inmates and a quirky female commandant is done well. As you would expect the typical Muppet charm and song/dance numbers are chuckle inducing while the plethora of celebrity cameos which include the likes of Tony Bennett, Sean Combs, Rob Corddry, Celine Dion, Josh Groban, Salma Hayek, Ray Liotta, Ross Lynch, Chloe Grace Moretz, Christoph Waltz, and Tom Hiddleston are fun to watch out for. It feels a little overloaded at times but there is plenty for Muppet fans to sink their teeth into.

There are three versions of the film included by Disney in this Unnecessarily Extended Edition, the original theatrical cut, the extended edition and a Statler & Waldorf cut. With plenty of sight gags, slapstick, Muppet infused banter and celebrity guests Muppets Most Wanted proves that the gang still has the chops to keep us laughing, humming and toe tapping along.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Muppets Most Wanted comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossy DTS-HD 7.1 High Resolution sound that has a bitrate of 2 Mbps.

This is a great looking Blu-ray offering from Disney. The video is crisp and features detail perception that is nearly flawless while exhibiting lucid visual acuity and fine rendering. Colors are rich with deeply saturated primaries and warm tonality that make them visually pleasing. Flesh tones are on the golden side with fair delineation among the varied cast. Stable contrast and engaging black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is good enough that I could make out plenty of discernible texture in the low lit sequences. The CGI based/green screen photography softened some backgrounds but its effects are innate and fidelity remained unaffected.

The lossy DTS-HD 7.1 channel HR soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds and discretely placed effects within the acoustic environment. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects are frequently applied or earth shaking but the subwoofer effectively works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film’s recorded elements. I am not crazy about the use of a lossy soundtrack however I didn’t find its application when combined with this source material to be deleterious.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) The longer longest blooper reel in Muppets history – 9 minutes
  • (HD) Rizzo’s biggest fan – 3 minute feature
  • (HD) “I’ll get you what you want” music video by Bret McKenzie
  • Extended and Statler & Waldorf versions of the film
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Muppets Most wanted is the follow up to 2011’s well-regarded The Muppets. It’s not quite as entertaining as its predecessor however it’s funny bone tickling fun and proves that the gang still has the chops to keep us laughing, humming and toe tapping along. It comes to Blu-ray from Disney in this Unnecessarily Extended Edition that features three versions of the film, excellent high definition video, crystal clear sound quality and a lackluster supplemental offering that fans may find disappointing. If you’re a Muppet fan Muppets Most Wanted offers the type of traditional family fun entertainment that we’ve come to expect from them and deserves a spot in your Blu-ray collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 08-14-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
...who has signed on to be the Muppets touch manager.
I think you mean tour manager
Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
I think you mean tour manager
Greetings,

Absolutely! Thanks skullboy0 it reads correctly now.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Will throw in the queue for the kids! Great review!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
Old 08-14-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I think this is the first DTS-HD-Hi Res track I've ever seen in a review. Why go with the HR over the MA track?
AaronMK likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
On tap for the weekend!.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I think this is the first DTS-HD-Hi Res track I've ever seen in a review. Why go with the HR over the MA track?
Normally Disney uses the DTS-HD High Resolution codec for certain dubbed audio tracks (e.g. European French and German dubs will be DTS-HD HR) but something very strange has happened with this disc. The US versions have the "three" cuts of the film, so this could be a branching issue, but the DTS-HD HR track is apparently also on the UK/Australian/German (and others) disc, which has only the theatrical cut. On the other hand, a BDInfo scan has already shown that the Asian BD from Disney has the theatrical cut (only) with a full DTS-HD MA 7.1 track at 5063 kbps.

And it gets stranger. According to some, the UK/AU BD also has extras (like a Mickey Mouse cartoon) which are not on the US or Asian BDs.

If anyone can do a BDInfo scan of the US disc, with all three versions, I would sure like to see that.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
that right,On the other hand, a BDInfo scan has already shown that the Asian BD from Disney has the theatrical cut (only) with a full DTS-HD MA 7.1 track at 5063 kbps.thanks for your [IMG]http://*******/prvoPz[/IMG]sharing
Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Nice, Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good muppets movie but lacked the heart of the previous. Kids enjoyed it a lot!

Tags
frontpage