• 1 Post By cinema13

post #1 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Fading Gigolo (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Check out our review of John Turturro's comedy about the worlds oldest profession. You know the one that gets you paid to sleep with Sharon Stone and Sofía Vergara. Count me in.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Millennium Media - 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Comedy, Drama

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: John Turturro, Woody Allen, Sharon Stone, Vanessa Paradis, Liev Schreiber, Sofía Vergara
Directed by: John Turturro
Music by: Abraham Laboriel, Bill Maxwell
Written by: John Turturro
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 19, 2014

"The oldest profession just got older"

My Take:

Fading Gigolo tells the story of Fioravante (Tutorro) and Murray (Allen), two best friends who together share many mid life crisis'. Murray's bookstore is closing, it was owned by generations of his family and times are tight. He is told a secret by his doctor (Stone) that she would pay to have a threesome with her friend played by Sofía Vergara. Murray has the audacity to ask Fioravante to do the deed, he reluctantly goes for it and the two start a little prostitution business. One must suspend reality a little here. When on Earth does a 50 something man get asked by a 70 something man to become a prostitute and have a threesome with smokin' hotties like Stone and Vergaga?? umm..never.

The story does take a more poignant turn for the second half when Fiovaorante ends up seeing the widow of a Rabbi played by Vanessa Paradis. He learns more about the human condition being paid for companionship then he ever did before. He sees how some are neglected physically and how some are neglected emotionally as he ends up falling in love with the widow. Of course there is an antagonist played by Leiv Schrieber. He is the head of a Jewish neighborhood watch who suspects something is up with Murray as he is seen loitering around quite often.

Fading Gigolo is a small film with a big heart and has an interesting take on a the worlds oldest profession. The film isn't overly funny or overly dramatic, striking a real world balance in a hugely unlikely tale. This is as close to a Woody Allen film as you get not Written and Directed by the man himself. Fans of this style of film will enjoy but given all its credentials its a bit underwhelming.

Parental Guide:

This film contains some sexual content, language and brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Fading Gigolo comes to Blu-ray Disc from Millennium Media featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24.6 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 Mbps.

Fading Gigolo looks great on Blu-ray even if its aesthetics are not your cup of tea. It pushes heavily to the warmer side of things but still retains passable color and flesh-tone. Shot in 35mm, there isn't much grain to indicate film over digital but there are never any visible digital anomalies or noticeable compression in the transfer.

The film has an upbeat soundtrack that sounds great here. Stereo spread is wide and dialogue is prioritized will in the center channel. This is not one for heavy bass and dynamics as it is all talk and music. Surrounds are lit up when needed but never pushed too hot for effect. Its a classy and well done mix that did all it was asked to do.

Bonus Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Writer/Director/Actor John Turturro and his Assistant Cameron Bossert
  • (HD) Deleted Scenes
  • (HD) Previews

Final Thoughts:

Fading Gigolo is cute. The interplay between Woody Allen and John Turturro is quite enjoyable as is the films quirky tale. Millennium's Media's transfer looks great and the sound is well done. I did go back to a few scenes to listen to Turturro's commentary and it was thoughtful and engaging. This one is worth a rental.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Gamma Maestro 4K 138" 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen
Da-Lite Pro Imager Projector Screen Masking Syste
Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo A51 & A21 7x250
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad Gold LCR's
Triad Silver Surrounds x4
Triad Bronze Subwoofers x4
Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens
AudioQuest Wires

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 3D 1080p Plasma
Anthem MRX-310-AV Receiver
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
Triad Bronze Subwoofer
jhughy2010 likes this.

Last edited by Lee Weber; 08-16-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Y'know, I'm so damn tired of having to have other actors stand-in for Woody, hearing his inflections coming out of the mouths of younger actors within Allen's own movies. So I'm really looking forward to seeing him back in front of the camera and I can overlook a lot because of that. Just wish it happened more often.
jhughy2010 likes this.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post
The interplay between Woody Allen and John Turturro is quite enjoyable as is the films quirky tale. Millennium's Media's transfer looks great and the sound is well done. I did go back to a few scenes to listen to Turturro's commentary and it was thoughtful and engaging. This one is worth a rental.
Great review!

I was surprised to see a film that Allen didn't direct yet starred in. I added this to the queue as I'm interested now to see the interplay between the two. Sounds enjoyable.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Great review!

I was surprised to see a film that Allen didn't direct yet starred in. I added this to the queue as I'm interested now to see the interplay between the two. Sounds enjoyable.
He's been in numerous films he didn't direct...PICKING UP THE PIECES and THE FRONT (recently out on Blu-Ray from Twilight Time) are two that immediately come to mind.

post #5 of 5 Old 09-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thanks! for sharing Lee!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page