• 1 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 20 Old 08-18-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The Railway Man (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Check out our review of The Railway man, the story of a former British Army officer, who was tormented as a prisoner of war at a Japanese labor camp during World War II. Later in life he discovers that the man responsible for much of his treatment is still alive and sets out to confront him.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Anchor Bay - 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 108 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 HD Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgård
Directed by: Jonathan Teplitzky
Music by: David Hirschfelder
Written by: Frank Cottrell Boyce and Andy Paterson (screenplay), Eric Lomax (Book)
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 12, 2014

"Based on the best selling book by Eric Lomax"

My Take:

When reading the description on its packaging, The Railway Man sounds a bit like The Bridge Over The River Kwai, but an extension where we see the post traumatic stress of the POW's many years later. It is the true story of Eric Lomax (Colin Firth) and is based on his book. Lomax was an Allied prisoner of war who was forced to work on the construction of the Thai/Burma railway during World War 2. We meet Lomax later in life as he falls in love with Patti (Nicole Kidman). As Patti starts to see that Eric is still mentally tormented by his experience, she vows to help him rid his demons. When she learns that the Japanese officer who abused and tormented her Husband 40 years earlier is still alive, she faces a life changing decision-- Tell him and stand by him no matter what he does, or keep this to herself?

This is heavy stuff that plays out natural because of great performance by Firth and Kidman. Never once did I squawk at the weight of melodrama here as the films pacing between real time and flashbacks of the prison camp flowed so well. I was engaged with this mans mental fight, hoping him well and being frustrated and wanting revenge on the Japanese officer myself. What really struck me was how this film about torment, torture and revenge was really about love, hope and ultimately a great exercise in humanity. Coupled with striking cinematography and a great score from David Hirschfelder (Australia, Elizabeth) this a film not to be missed.

Parental Guide:

This film contains disturbing prisoner of war violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Railway Man comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26.8 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

The Railway Man is a filmic and gorgeous transfer that is a must see for film aficionados. Besides a few shots that were a tad soft most every frame was striking with fine details on everything in the back and foreground. Colors pop and help the onscreen dimension dig even deeper. Black levels are spot on as are its shadow details. This is one not to miss.

The films Lossless audio track is of equal caliber with its impressive soundtrack playing with dynamics and bombast when needed and creating a chilling feeling at proper times. Dialogue is always discernible and the environments natural atmosphere plays precise out of effect channels. Dynamic range matches the onscreen dimension as the LFE rumbles when needed and high end is crisp and their differential is apparent. Thick sounding is a quick and dirty description.

Bonus Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Director Jonathan Teplitzky and Co-Writer/Producer Andy Paterson
  • (HD) The Making of The Railway Man
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Railway Man is a remarkable film and it is a crime that this has gone under the radar. Colin Firth is as strong as ever, the direction and cinematography are great as is the films script. This is not to be missed and is a relic of a time when films and drama were much more appreciated. Anchor Bays transfer is fantastic and I highly recommend this one!

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Gamma Maestro 4K 138" 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen
Da-Lite Pro Imager Projector Screen Masking Syste
Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo A51 & A21 7x250
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad Gold LCR's
Triad Silver Surrounds x4
Triad Bronze Subwoofers x4
Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens
AudioQuest Wires

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 3D 1080p Plasma
Anthem MRX-310-AV Receiver
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
Triad Bronze Subwoofer

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lee Weber; 08-18-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Lee,

I agree, this is a terrific film.

Do you know why the BD running time is 108 but IMDB and the UK release state 116 minutes?.

I can't imagine that 8 minutes are missing on the US BD.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 08-19-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: No need to quote the entire review
post #3 of 20 Old 08-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Based on your review I'll have to give this one a view. Should be a nice break from all the summer blockbusters

Thanks Lee,
Ish
Lee Weber likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-19-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
Based on your review I'll have to give this one a view. Should be a nice break from all the summer blockbusters

Thanks Lee,
Ish
me too, thanks for the review!
Lee Weber likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Exclamation

I saw this with my family the other night and we all enjoyed it.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #6 of 20 Old 08-19-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Very good movie...it starts out a little strange but really picks up steam in the second and third act. Well acted all around and quite enjoyable. Great review Lee.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #7 of 20 Old 08-20-2014, 02:18 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Greetings,

Count me in for wanting to see this one as well. Nice job Lee..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #8 of 20 Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Count me in for wanting to see this one as well. Nice job Lee..!

Regards,
Lee,

Great review. I had read about this one coming out, and appreciate your review.
When I read the advance article, it brought back memories of watching the Bridge over River Kwai with my Dad (a veteran) many-many years ago when I was a kid.

Your review has turned this into a Must-See for me - Thank You !!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #9 of 20 Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM

Liked: 37
We watched it 4 weeks ago. Excellent movie, well worth having.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-21-2014, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
This seems like an interesting movie and one that I would like. Definitely giving this one a view.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-22-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post
Lee,

I agree, this is a terrific film.

Do you know why the BD running time is 108 but IMDB and the UK release state 116 minutes?.

I can't imagine that 8 minutes are missing on the US BD.

Tom
I found the answer over on blu-ray.com

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #12 of 20 Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 102
Quote:
I found the answer over on blu-ray.com
Care to share

Lee

post #13 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about that.

The Weinstein's edited the film for the US release. The rest of the world got the uncut original. I enjoy the US cut but will import the UK to see what is missing.

I guess the Weinsteins are known to do this.

Tom

post #14 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Sorry about that.

The Weinstein's edited the film for the US release. The rest of the world got the uncut original. I enjoy the US cut but will import the UK to see what is missing.

Tom
They are the anti-christs of film mangling.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #15 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, I'm glad I didn't miss this one (thanks Lee!). My sister and I watched this film last weekend and enjoyed it very much. It's hard to imagine the struggle a POW goes through dealing with such a traumatic experience for the rest of their life and I think this movie portrayed several men's situations, and ultimate resolutions, very well and from both sides of the fence.

It was very easy to "step into the shoes" of the various rolls due to the great acting by everyone involved. Very smooth, natural, and believable. I'm a big fan of Hiroyuki Sanada (Helix, Extant, 47 Ronin and a ton of others) and I don't think they could have picked a better actor to play the after-war Nagase.

Overall it is an excellent drama of the best kind, based on a true story and real people.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
Well, I'm glad I didn't miss this one (thanks Lee!). My sister and I watched this film last weekend and enjoyed it very much. It's hard to imagine the struggle a POW goes through dealing with such a traumatic experience for the rest of their life and I think this movie portrayed several men's situations, and ultimate resolutions, very well and from both sides of the fence.

It was very easy to "step into the shoes" of the various rolls due to the great acting by everyone involved. Very smooth, natural, and believable. I'm a big fan of Hiroyuki Sanada (Helix, Extant, 47 Ronin and a ton of others) and I don't think they could have picked a better actor to play the after-war Nagase.

Overall it is an excellent drama of the best kind, based on a true story and real people.
Greetings,

I totally agree. We watched this the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #17 of 20 Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

One of the best movies I've seen all year. Loved how multidimensional the film turned out to be; very hard to catalog and refreshingly human.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry about that.

Tom
If you ever do get around to seeing the uncut one, please share your thoughts on whether it was worth it. I also dislike when they do that - they did something similar during the first season of downton abbey.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
One of the best movies I've seen all year. Loved how multidimensional the film turned out to be; very hard to catalog and refreshingly human.
Greetings,

Agreed..!

Regards,
mo949 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #20 of 20 Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Data-Bass.com has measured the bass content in The Railway Man. Check out the results and vote on how well you think its bass was executed.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page