• 1 Post By RoyGBiv

post #1 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 516
AVSForum (Blu-ray) Spotlight: The Full Monty

Check out our Blu-ray Spotlight coverage of this classic and hilarious British comedy that took the world by storm in 1997 in its telling of the story of six down on their luck blokes who come up with a revealing way of making some much needed quick cash.

My Thoughts:

Six unemployed men, inspired by a touring group of male strippers, decide they can make a small fortune by putting on a striptease show of their own, but with one big difference. They intend to go “the full monty” and bare it all in front of the world!

The Full Monty needs little introduction and is a British comedy-drama directed by Peter Cattaneo, that tells the story of six unemployed men, four being former steel workers, who decide to band together and form a male striptease act. Each has their reasons for needing some quick cash and for Gaz, the man with the plan, his inspiration is to be able to afford to fight for shared custody of his son. Gaz declares that their show will be better than the typical “Chippendales” dancers because they will go "the full monty" — stripping all the way! The film stars Robert Carlyle, Mark Addy, William Snape, Steve Huison, Tom Wilkinson, Paul Barber, and Hugo Speer and was written by Simon Beaufoy.

The story is set in Sheffield, England and while most definitely a comedy it incorporates elements of drama that include subject matter that touches upon unemployment, broken family, depression, obesity, and impotence. The Full Monty is laugh out loud funny with a heartwarming essence that is expertly played out both in the writing and the sterling performances by the cast ensemble. I find it to be one of those wonderfully entertaining comedies that easily withstands the tests of time which makes it perfect for repeat viewings. I am thrilled that it has finally made its way to Blu-ray.

Release Date: August 5, 2014

The Full Monty comes to Blu-ray containing the following legacy Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary by Director Peter Cattaneo and Actor Mark Addy
  • Audio Commentary by Producer Uberto Pasolini
  • 10 Deleted scenes with Optional Commentary by Director Peter Cattaneo and Actor Mark Addy
  • Original Cast Interviews
  • The Music Machine
  • Developing The Script Featurette
  • Finding The Director Featurette
  • Focus On Sheffield Featurette
  • Anatomy Of A Score Featurette
  • Stocksbridge Brass Band Blues Featurette
  • Song & Dance Featurette
  • Editing Featurette
  • Translating English To English Featurette
  • The Success And Its Aftermath Featurette
  • A Bigger Picture - A Look at the British Film Industry in the '90s
  • TV Spots and More!

The Full Monty comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 Mbps.

This high definition presentation delivered fair overall image quality that appeared faithful to the film’s original elements. Its high definition video offered an appreciable level of detail during close ups and certain wide angle camera shots. The exterior shots of the urban areas featured in the story appeared vivid with naturally rendered color and stable resolution. The majority of the time the visuals didn’t have a high level of image penetration. Sharpness was good but occasionally inconsistent as the image softened at times. The variety of period colors and brighter secondary hues were pleasing reproduced well. Blacks were punchy which increased depth perception in low lit sequences. Overall this was a gratifying rendering that complimented the source quite nicely.

Video: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The DTS-HD MA surround mix won’t knock your socks off but I found it rendered the components of the original recording quite well. The auditory is clean, with excellent dialogue intelligibility this is never lost amidst the other sounds emanating from the front soundstage. There is little call for low end support as things appropriately remain in the limited dynamic spectrum provided by the soundtrack. The end result is a satisfying and appropriate audio presentation.

Audio: 78
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

The Full Monty is a classic British comedy that is justly deserving of the accolades it has received. I am a fan and highly recommend this long awaited Blu-ray release from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Phrehdd and jhughy2010 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
The Full Monty is a classic British comedy that is justly deserving of the accolades it has received. I am a fan and highly recommend this long awaited Blu-ray release from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.
Great review! I'm glad this one made its way to BD... will add to the queue.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #3 of 7 Old 08-24-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Great to hear! Will certainly purchase this when available in my area.

Definitely in my top ten list along with "Saving Ned Devine".

The island does produce some clever, smart writing for screen plays......something Hollywood should take note!
Dave Vaughn likes this.

My Build Threads

post #4 of 7 Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks for the review.
I grew up about 40 miles from Sheffield so can relate to the characters very well.
I love the scene in the dole queue, cracks me up every time.
A must buy for my collection.
Thanks again.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Haven't seen this, but will Vudu it!

Thanks, Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post
Haven't seen this, but will Vudu it!

Thanks, Ralph!
Greetings,

Sure thing Taranteacher. Post back afterward as I would be interested in your impressions.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 7 Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My wife and I watched "The Full Monty" again a few months ago. The DVD is terrible, so I'm glad to see there is now a BD version, but that's not the point of this post.

We started watching The Musketeers on BBC-A, and Captain Treville looked very familiar. Even his name Hugo Speer was familiar, but I couldn't figure out who he was. So, I went to imdb.com, and saw that Hugo Speer played Guy on TFM. My wife and I, even knowing who he is, still find it hard to believe it's the same person.

SMK
Ralph Potts likes this.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page