Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 109Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Real nice review Ralph

Im really excited to pick this up in 3D! Loved it in theaters and though it was a great sequel. The audio sounded fantastic in theaters and it looks like it translated well to BD from the score!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
Reddig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
Definitely will pick this up on 3D first day here in Canada.

Very positive review and everyone agree.
NorthSky is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Definitely will pick this up on 3D first day here in Canada.

Very positive review and everyone agree.
Can Scarlett Johanson please go away?

Looking forward to seeing this in 3D.

Thanks for the review.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Woobieizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Good Ole' Copper Fan
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Be careful what you ask for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
Can Scarlett Johanson please go away?

I see Danny Trejo is not quite booked for life and is willing to dress up in alt attire.
Woobieizer is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
DeadEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Good review, thanks Ralph. I agree all around and I did not think Redford did a good job in his roll. I've always liked him but this was just... not good. Rest of the movie rocked and I would have given it 4.5 stars.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
DeadEd is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonzalc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Nice review Ralph! Watched it las night! Lots of demoworthy scenes.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Marantz AV8802, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D, PS Audio Power Plant Premier
HT-Being re-designed and re-built.
gonzalc3 is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This was one of my favorite movies of 2014. Glad to hear that the video and audio is reference quality on this one, since this is a definite buy for me.
Ralph Potts likes this.
phisch is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
esappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Poulsbo, Washington
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post
This was one of my favorite movies of 2014. Glad to hear that the video and audio is reference quality on this one, since this is a definite buy for me.
I agree 100%. Between this movie and Guardians of the Galaxy, I feel Marvel and Disney have really delivered this year. Thoroughly enjoyed both movies. Between 'The Winter Soldier' and the original CA, personally I have to give the nod to this one. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first Captain America but to me TWS just delivered more of everything I wanted. My .02

Another great review Ralph. I'm really enjoying them. Thank you.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
esappy is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Loved the review Ralph! I will be looking forward to putting this one in the player.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
discone is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 10,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
I agree 100%. Between this movie and Guardians of the Galaxy, I feel Marvel and Disney have really delivered this year. Thoroughly enjoyed both movies. Between 'The Winter Soldier' and the original CA, personally I have to give the nod to this one. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first Captain America but to me TWS just delivered more of everything I wanted. My .02

Another great review Ralph. I'm really enjoying them. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Loved the review Ralph! I will be looking forward to putting this one in the player.

Greetings,

You're welcome.

Thanks for chiming in and be sure to post back once you've seen The Winter Soldier on Blu-ray...


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Looking forward to viewing this disc in the next couple of weeks.

Also look forward to next year - Chris Evans slinging the shield as Steve Rogers in "The Avengers: Age of Ultron".
Orbitron is offline  
Old 08-24-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 4,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Totally agree with your review Ralph. This one definitely is a keeper!
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Dave Vaughn is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 10,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Totally agree with your review Ralph. This one definitely is a keeper!

Greetings,


Great to hear you enjoyed this one also buddy. Thanks for chiming in..


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I find it strange that Amazon is not listing this movie yet, a few weeks before sales.
No, I don't want to pre-order this version "Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier English & Mandarin Language / Chinese subtitled", just the basic USA bluray.
mtbdudex is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
agnathra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I find it strange that Amazon is not listing this movie yet, a few weeks before sales.
No, I don't want to pre-order this version "Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier English & Mandarin Language / Chinese subtitled", just the basic USA bluray.
amazon and disney are in "negotiations" and amazon has pulled the preorder button. similar to what they did with the publisher hatchette.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/29460.html

- Chris
agnathra is offline  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post
amazon and disney are in "negotiations" and amazon has pulled the preorder button. similar to what they did with the publisher hatchette.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/29460.html
Never knew that, thx.
I just used W to pre-order http://www.walmart.com/ip/Captain-Am...creen/37232841
Quote:
Online $24.96
List Price: $32.99
You Save: $8.03 (24%)
Preorder this item today and it should ship on 09/09/2014
Will be able to watch in 3 weeks - free shipping , "Ships Standard / Arrives by Fri., Sep. 12"

Last edited by mtbdudex; 08-25-2014 at 09:22 AM.
mtbdudex is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 69
T had special pricing and their version had extra content. I think they are going after Big River on this one.

Matt
turls is offline  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Never knew that, thx.
I just used W to pre-order http://www.walmart.com/ip/Captain-Am...creen/37232841

Will be able to watch in 3 weeks - free shipping , "Ships Standard / Arrives by Fri., Sep. 12"
I've been holding out hope that the two sides would come to an agreement before the release date. As it is, it now looks ike I will have to drive down to Best Buy on release day to get the movie there if I really want it on the street date. Usually I don't mind waiting a day or two for a title to arrive at my home, but I think my household might revolt if it isn't here on the 9th. That's one of the things I liked about Amazon Prime pre-order, the movie was always on my doorstep before noon on the street date.
Aryn Ravenlocke is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dfergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South of First Contact Site
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Waiting on the UK 3D version to arrive ... hopefully soon.
dfergie is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
I've been holding out hope that the two sides would come to an agreement before the release date. As it is, it now looks ike I will have to drive down to Best Buy on release day to get the movie there if I really want it on the street date. Usually I don't mind waiting a day or two for a title to arrive at my home, but I think my household might revolt if it isn't here on the 9th. That's one of the things I liked about Amazon Prime pre-order, the movie was always on my doorstep before noon on the street date.
There is extra content on the Target version. Price: $22.99 (an additional 5% off if you have a Target card.)

http://www.target.com/p/captain-amer...lot=medium_1_3
cinema13 is offline  
Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
There is extra content on the Target version. Price: $22.99 (an additional 5% off if you have a Target card.)

http://www.target.com/p/captain-amer...lot=medium_1_3
W is just Bluray, T is 3D bluray + bluray + digital download, and $2 cheaper also!
mtbdudex is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
filecat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
There is extra content on the Target version. Price: $22.99 (an additional 5% off if you have a Target card.)

http://www.target.com/p/captain-amer...lot=medium_1_3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
W is just Bluray, T is 3D bluray + bluray + digital download, and $2 cheaper also!
Thanks! Ordered with Red Card!

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
filecat13 is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I'll pick this up at one of Amazon's sale in the future they always alert me about. I'm sure it won't happen for a awhile though.
Yeah, I'm cheap!

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Woobieizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Good Ole' Copper Fan
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 82
^^^ OOK / CWK: On-Off Keying / Continuous Wave Keying

Spoiler!


Spoiler!
Woobieizer is offline  
Old 08-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Anthony Cler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Lindsay, TX
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
There is extra content on the Target version. Price: $22.99 (an additional 5% off if you have a Target card.)

http://www.target.com/p/captain-amer...lot=medium_1_3
Awesome, thanks!
Anthony Cler is offline  
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I wonder how the 3D is? marvel films are hit and miss but they seem to be more "hit" lately. Thor 2 was just a notch above the "ok" level. But Guardians was "very good". I wouldn't put them anywhere near Jurassic Park or Avatar. But "very good" 3D is enough to be worth watching to enhance the movie.

I look forward to watching this movie now that my sound system is complete. Great movie and great sound and visual demo? Alright baby! Thanks for the fine work you do again Ralph. Will continue to check in your reviews.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Main room (3D bluray, PS4, WiiU) LG 70LB7100: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Downstairs (PS3, Xbox 360) Panny L55ET5: Demon 1712, Polk CS10, R300 x2, t15 x2, PSW10
Teremei is online now  
Old 08-28-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I was just curious Ralph, did you see it in 3D? (sorry if you mentioned I skimmed to the audio/video part).

if so, would you suggest a 2D viewing over a 3D viewing due to your report the the 2D version? I have passive so it does take away a bit of the resolution. For great 3D I don't mind the sacrifice.

Main room (3D bluray, PS4, WiiU) LG 70LB7100: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Downstairs (PS3, Xbox 360) Panny L55ET5: Demon 1712, Polk CS10, R300 x2, t15 x2, PSW10
Teremei is online now  
Old 08-28-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 10,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
I wonder how the 3D is? marvel films are hit and miss but they seem to be more "hit" lately. Thor 2 was just a notch above the "ok" level. But Guardians was "very good". I wouldn't put them anywhere near Jurassic Park or Avatar. But "very good" 3D is enough to be worth watching to enhance the movie.

I look forward to watching this movie now that my sound system is complete. Great movie and great sound and visual demo? Alright baby! Thanks for the fine work you do again Ralph. Will continue to check in your reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
I was just curious Ralph, did you see it in 3D? (sorry if you mentioned I skimmed to the audio/video part).

if so, would you suggest a 2D viewing over a 3D viewing due to your report the the 2D version? I have passive so it does take away a bit of the resolution. For great 3D I don't mind the sacrifice.
Greetings,

Thanks Teremei.


I didn't see the 3D version and Marvel/Disney is no longer supplying 3D Blu-ray for review. I would imagine that you couldn't go wrong with either so if you have an interest in 3D go for it..!


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
Old 08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Yes no doubt I always buy the 3D version. I am a bit of a blu ray 3D collector myself. Always value your opinion though. Disney is weird these days with 3D. I hope they don't stop releasing 3D blu rays as I enjoy having a bunch of them on my shelf. But after Frozen I don't know what to expect.

Main room (3D bluray, PS4, WiiU) LG 70LB7100: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Downstairs (PS3, Xbox 360) Panny L55ET5: Demon 1712, Polk CS10, R300 x2, t15 x2, PSW10
Teremei is online now  
Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Yes no doubt I always buy the 3D version. I am a bit of a blu ray 3D collector myself. Always value your opinion though. Disney is weird these days with 3D. I hope they don't stop releasing 3D blu rays as I enjoy having a bunch of them on my shelf. But after Frozen I don't know what to expect.
And NEED FOR SPEED. And MALEFICENT. And RATATOUILLE. And... (Frell or Frack Disney!)

As for the 3D in Cap, I can only go by what I saw theatrically...but I felt it had the most non-existent use of 3D of any movie I've seen. It's obvious that the moviemakers didn't even TRY to keep 3D in mind when shooting. I did see a YouTube clip in which the 3D looked better than what I saw in theaters. But don't look for anything more than a little depth on this one. (And yes, I'll be getting the 3D edition regardless.) The non-native SPIDER-MAN 2, while not as good a flick, had MUCH better use of 3D...even better than the first ASM which was even shot in 3D!)
cinema13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
frontpage
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off