Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #31 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Great take KBMAN, but I would have figured all the Star Trek captains look great in your killer new theater.
Thanks MOGRUB!!!! I also have great fondness for Sir Patrick as the captain of the Enterprise....It was great to see him and Shatner together in 'Generations'....(actuaully, that is a pretty good ST film!)
Dave Vaughn and tenthplanet like this.

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does this "compendium" mean that there won't be any future Star Trek movies? If so, I would be willing to get this set. Otherwise, I'll wait for the "Complete" boxed set.
BTW, I thought the first Star Trek was good, but the second was fantastic.
post #33 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Thanks MOGRUB!!!! I also have great fondness for Sir Patrick as the captain of the Enterprise....It was great to see him and Shatner together in 'Generations'....(actuaully, that is a pretty good ST film!)
Amen to that. It's one of the many Blu-Rays I had to buy once we started projecting. DVD did the job fine up to 65", but it took the Blu and the Darblet to deliver extra resolution and clarity for the bigger projected image.
post #34 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
Does this "compendium" mean there won't be any future Star Trek movies?

BTW, I thought the first Star Trek was good, but the second was fantastic!
On the first point, I'll bet a million strips of Quark's ill-gotten Latinum there will be more Star Trek features produced.

On the second point, we loved 'em both.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #35 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
LOVED the first one.

Into Darkness? Not without a court order. It would have been loads of fun - if Star Trek II hadn't ever been made and been arguably the best of all of them. Unfortunately for Abrams, I saw Star Trek II, which made Into Darkness an abomination IMO. It could be a 3D 4k release with an Atmos soundtrack offered to me for free with popcorn and beer and I still couldn't bring myself to watch it ever again.

Those who love it, enjoy the new release.
post #36 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
JJ has been quoted as not really liking Star Trek and that certainly shows for how badly he screwed up the reboot IMO. Star Wars is next! The reboot franchise is all Hollywood does now - bigger, louder, more boring, and really, really stupid!
post #37 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Pass for me. If they wanted a double dip from me on this one they would have had to at least converted the first one to 3D
post #38 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
JJ has been quoted as not really liking Star Trek and that certainly shows for how badly he screwed up the reboot IMO. Star Wars is next! The reboot franchise is all Hollywood does now - bigger, louder, more boring, and really, really stupid!
Can he really screw up star wars anymore than its been for the last 3 releases?
Dave Vaughn and Hagenstein like this.
post #39 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The first one was tolerable, the second was just plain stupid from the opening scene (why is the Enterprise under water? Seriously, where does that make sense? ), to Spock objecting to being rescued due to regs violation when the reason he was there was a result of a regs violation, to Klingon wearing helmets (lol), to Khan beaming from one planet to another (why have starships?), to the superfluous Carol Marcus (nice eye candy though), to Spock yelling Kahn (laughable) to the magic blood, etc., etc., etc. The only good thing about the movie was production values and the actors. Too bad. It really could have been glorious (to quote Kor).

At least JJ is a fan of Star Wars so I am sure more respect will be given to that franchise.
kheiden and fredxr2d2 like this.
post #40 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, since watching this IMAX version would be horrendous with my Front Projector, I will keep the copy I have.
While the're at it, it would be great to release The Dark Knight in a non-imax format so it can be watched on projector
post #41 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Does this "compendium" mean that there won't be any future Star Trek movies? If so, I would be willing to get this set.
There likely will be more Star Trek movies, but these two movies feel like two chapters of a longer story about how the Enterprise got her crew and how Kirk was not just given the captain's chair but ended up earning it, before they all headed out on their 5-year mission. It is the compendium, not the first movie, that is the real prequel to the original TV show.

Same director and crew for both movies, so it really does have the look and feel of one continuous story. Which is why I think these two movies make for a good boxed set. Felt the same way about the old Star Trek 2, 3 and 4, since they're also one continuous story.
Quote:
Otherwise, I'll wait for the "Complete" boxed set.
I'm doing the same with the Bond movies.
Woobieizer likes this.

Sanjay
post #42 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
... I'm doing the same with the Bond movies.
But Bond will keep going forever; they'll never be an ultimate/complete boxset of agent double 007.
He's/will always/be on a mission, with a licence to kill, and with extreme prejudice. ...Or without.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
This is when the first movie was in production. Abrams said he watch TREK growing up but that NOW he was a fan.

Nick Meyer said the same thing when doing WRATH OF KHAN.

Both films have multiple easter eggs for fans of the shows & earlier movies.

If you don't like the films why are you threadcrapping here since you're obviously not interested in the set? Just to spread misinformation and hate?
dodo/lurker likes this.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #44 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 75
^^^Yay^^^

all others need a real space hobby
Spoiler!
tenthplanet likes this.
post #45 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
On the first point, I'll bet a million strips of Quark's ill-gotten Latinum there will be more Star Trek features produced.

On the second point, we loved 'em both.
So you're the one who has been hoarding Latinum There is talk of a another ST feature coming.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #46 of 65 Old 08-29-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have every bit of Trek on VHS, DVD and what is available on BD. I have watched both JJ movies several times but as much as I try I just can't get behind these movies.
Same here, except no DS9. Never liked DS9. Didn't care for the Mirror universe episode in DS9.
I have been watching the various YouTube versions. Such as Fairest of them All , set in the Mirror universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Like many others, not a fan of these. Star Trek ended after Enterprise. I've seen the first one twice and the second one once, that will probably be the only times I watch them ever. Really wishing CBS would get a good TV series going at this point and have nothing to do with the JJ universe.
Yes.
Actually Enterprise had its flaws when it broke the canon timeline due to the network saying "We want phasers an transporters."
The last season, arc'd by the husband and wife team Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens (authors of book Federation (1994)), was the most sci-fi ish of the series.
"The Forge", "Awakening" and "Kir'Shara" were a nice explanation/fix of the Vulcan muck they'd created in the first two seasons; "Bound" has one eye opening scene, and of course "In A Mirror Darkly" was very good and it was nice to see the Defiant.
Enterprise was much better watched back to back on BluRay, all seasons all episodes, than it was watching it on first-air-television where they kept making it worse; perhaps because being 'in the can' they couldn't ruin it more than I already new so I could enjoy it the second time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
I can't either. The problem isn't cast and crew (not one I don't like) its the freakin story. Every one Abrams did ended back at earth!!! "Too boldy go to where we have been before and back to earth" is really the motto. Does the bridge of the Enterprise have to be lit up like a science lab???
I agree. The first couple of seasons of Star Trek Next Gen were dull for a variety of reasons including limitations set by Rodenberry, but Abrams abandoned everything that makes Trek and Navy sense.

I won't be getting the BluRay mentioned in this thread. I already have these two movies, and although I usually watch commentaries, there's nothing Abrams does with Trek that I want to see.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #47 of 65 Old 08-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have every bit of Trek on VHS, DVD and what is available on BD. I have watched both JJ movies several times but as much as I try I just can't get behind these movies. I want to so badly.....

I watched 2009 again last night, it is alright, of the 2 it is the best. I don't hate it, the other one is a stink bomb, for me. But the first one has some cool scenes and bones is great.

James Reid:D
post #48 of 65 Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post
I have been watching the various YouTube versions. Such as Fairest of them All , set in the Mirror universe.
That was the best (so far) of the three STAR TREK CONTINUES episodes. FAIREST OF THEM ALL was more entertaining than ST:ID...by a long shot. I really got a kick out of seeing Michael Forest return to the role of Apollo in the first episode. ST CONTINUES is the best of the YouTube iterations. Any ST fan who hasn't seen these should do so. It's like having Season 4 of the original series. James Doohan's son nails it as Scotty. And the guy who plays Kirk has it down almost to perfection...the mannerisms, body language, inflections...if they could just deepen his voice a bit, you'd swear it was Shatner at first look. They really need to recast Spock and McCoy, but otherwise I look forward to the fourth episode.

post #49 of 65 Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
So you're the one who has been hoarding Latinum There is talk of a another ST feature coming.
More than talk...the script has been completed. Should start shooting next year.

post #50 of 65 Old 08-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
More than talk...the script has been completed. Should start shooting next year.
Hopefully Michael Bay will direct it as the King of Crap!
post #51 of 65 Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
And the guy who plays Kirk has it down almost to perfection...the mannerisms, body language, inflections...if they could just deepen his voice a bit, you'd swear it was Shatner at first look.
If they all could just deepen their voices a bit, including Spock and Scotty. The cast of metros all sound so nasal-y, like they're wearing pinch clamps on their testicles. What is it with modern men? Where did the bass go?

Other than that, Star Trek Continues is awesome. Can't believe those production values for a web series.
cardoski likes this.

Sanjay
post #52 of 65 Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
That was the best (so far) of the three STAR TREK CONTINUES episodes. FAIREST OF THEM ALL was more entertaining than ST:ID...by a long shot.

The "acting" is painful to watch and the set production values might have worked in the '60s. But today it's cheesier than a giant bowl of Kraft Dinner.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #53 of 65 Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
So you're the one who has been hoarding Latinum
Nope, I just keep losing it back at that crooked joint. ♥️♠️♦️♣️
post #54 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Nope, I just keep losing it back at that crooked joint. ♥️♠️♦️♣️
Watch out for that Londo guy from Babylon 5, if he shows up at your game you know he cheats.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #55 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Watch out for that Londo guy from Babylon 5, if he shows up at your game you know he cheats.
Great point, but I'm way more worried about the Narcolene Feeder.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #56 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 AM

Sitting with the better half this morning, and since Ralph's review has triggered varied opinions about the two JJA Star Trek movies, I asked her what she thought. She says of the two, her preference was STID. Why, I asked? She enjoyed the return of the Khan storyline, likes the freshness of the reboots generally, and thinks Benedict Cumberbatch is excellent.

Said she has no interest in seeing the IMAX version at home. No surprise, since she always tells me she doesn't care about aspect ratio or resolution at home. I don't even think she's kidding. Must be a Mars / Venus thing.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #57 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

The "acting" is painful to watch and the set production values might have worked in the '60s. But today it's cheesier than a giant bowl of Kraft Dinner.
But that's the whole point...it recreates the 60s show, cheese, hammy acting and all. We've already seen all the "contemporary" official takes on TREK. It's fun to go back to how it all began. The CONTINUES team do it better than any of the other, similar attempts.

post #58 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Thanks ... The IMAX segments are used during key points in the film to enhance the visual experience as well as underscore the elements contained in the story line ... and I found its effects to be complimentary.
Quote:
Thanks Ralph ... I've only spun the disc once, but I think the second Hunger Games movie (Catching Fire) is another that shifts from a wide screen to a full 16x9 screen presentation at various points, and I enjoyed the impact of that a bunch.
So with more time on a Saturday morning Ralph, I went back and dug up your excellent review of Catching Fire, and found your comments on the aspect ratio shift used in that Blu-Ray presentation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

... It should be noted that the film’s original aspect ratio of 2.40:1 opens up to 1.78:1 during the IMAX sequences which take place during in arena (right at the start of chapter 11) and last into chapter 16 during the finale (There is no switching back and forth like in The Dark Knight).
So that's interesting. I hadn't previously realized that IMAX-captured content had been incorporated into THGCF. (Maybe I should start looking at the packaging more closely, and maybe even read some of the stuff that comes with a movie purchase.) All I noticed was the mid-movie, screen-filling aspect ratio change, which we enjoyed. And with your reference to The Dark Knight, it sounds like this is being done more frequently as time goes on. I hope so, since It definitely works for me.

I haven't really thought it through yet, but doesn't a mid-movie shift in aspect ratio have the potential to screw up viewers that use certain types of projector lenses, and/or screen formats and/or device-based aspect ratio settings? It works perfectly for us though, since our screen is 16 x 9 (1.78 to 1), we use no external lens, and almost always leave format setting on native.

Cheers!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by mogrub; 08-30-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo
post #59 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Ralph,

Outstanding review as always.

I love Star Trek from all era's, especially these 2 most recent as I think they stand on their own quite well.

I bought both blurays individually so I'll pass on the double-dip here, but I was tempted.

Cheers!

Jon
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #60 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Liked: 15
Re-boot is fancy terminology to replace re-hash.

Kind of like how middle-aged plasticly-enhanced females are called cougars. (My sympathy to real cougars.)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page