Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #61 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
But that's the whole point...it recreates the 60s show, cheese, hammy acting and all. We've already seen all the "contemporary" official takes on TREK. It's fun to go back to how it all began. The CONTINUES team do it better than any of the other, similar attempts.
If I want to see how it all began I'll pull the 3 seasons of TOS off the shelf. Even Roddenberry was eager to change, update, and shake things up when they were planning the actual Phase II series. He wanted to keep TREK state of the art, not revel in the past.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
If I want to see how it all began I'll pull the 3 seasons of TOS off the shelf. Even Roddenberry was eager to change, update, and shake things up when they were planning the actual Phase II series. He wanted to keep TREK state of the art, not revel in the past.
But when "state-of-the-art" seems dull or moribund, the past is often better. Especially when free of future "canon." And Roddenberry's rules/limits are what made TNG so dull during the first few years.

I'll go seen the next TREK movie, but I'll also enjoy this more entertaining "fourth season" of TOS as well.

Last edited by cinema13; 08-30-2014 at 02:41 PM.
post #63 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
Hopefully Michael Bay will direct it as the King of Crap!
Close! Director is Robert Orci, who co-wrote the previous 2 Trek movies...and TRANFORMERS as well. So maybe Bay will co-direct? lol

post #64 of 65 Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
Now with even more LENS FLARE! Ha ha.

Thanks for the review Ralph. Keep up the good work.

Personally I think J.J. Abrams is an incompetent Director. He writes incoherent stories and his camera work is shoddy at best.
The new Star Trek series is the perfect example of this.
In Star Trek: Into Darkness, J.J. Abrams he had to go back and digitally remove lens flare from the film, there was just too much of it in the film. This is a perfect example of his incompetence.
The dialogue and story of both new Star Trek movies was abysmal, and a ten year old could have written a more coherent story, if not written then outlined it in crayons.

Having said this the CGI in the movies is absolutely amazing, and my hat goes off to the CGI teams that poured their sweat and blood into this movie.
They've titled his Star Wars movie:

Star Wars Episode 7: Attack of the Lens Flare.

I truly hate his complete overuse of lens flare.

Even with that I think Super 8 is genius and Star Trek is very, very, good. STID falls flat for me though. The story is a plot hole filled mess, the nods to movies past are just tacky, and it's just plain LOUD. I was tired after watching is from the ridiculous amount of noise throughout.

Looky here!
post #65 of 65 Old 09-10-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If this had more special features I would double dip, but I think I'll pass for now.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page