45Likes

post #1 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Director J.J. Abrams’ global sensations Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness set a course for the ultimate comprehensive home entertainment package in Star Trek: The Compendium. Packed with previously released Bonus Material and additional Never-Before-Seen Footage, this collection is the definitive resource for the Star Trek aficionado.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount – 2009/2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 126/131 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1, 2.40:1, 1.78:1 (STID: IMAX)
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): (ST) English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, (STID) English Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Bruce Greenwood, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, Alice Eve, Benedict Cumberbatch, Peter Weller, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Bana
Directed by: J.J. Abrams
Music by: Michael Giancchino
Written by: Robert Orci & Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 9, 2014

"To Boldly Go…further"

My Take:

Both Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness have been previously released on Blu-ray. Star Trek: The Compendium brings both films together for the first time in a single package. This set includes four Blu-ray discs featuring each film, the previously released supplemental material, and Digital HD copies. Additionally, this set includes the high definition IMAX version of Star Trek Into Darkness plus the STID director’s commentary (previously only available on iTunes), and three previously unreleased features that include a gag reel, and two featurettes. Missing is the 3D version of Star Trek Into Darkness which would have made this a fully comprehensive release.

Whether or not to purchase this release if you already have the others will depend on how much stock you put in owning the IMAX version of STID. The additional bonus material is nice but in my opinion the real reason to consider this is the IMAX option along with the convenience of having both films in a single package. The set comes in an attractive keep case that securely houses each of the four discs in an offset overlay style with snap in center pushbuttons.

I didn’t originally see STID in IMAX and must admit that revisiting it here added an entertaining element. The aspect ratio switches between 2.40:1 and 1.78:1 are handled in typical fashion. I don’t find that to be distracting and felt that where they were inserted (meaning the 1.78:1 framing) fit nicely with the context of the storyline. Those with constant image height setups may find this problematic though. I have decided to add Star Trek: The Compendium to my collection. I will hang onto my 3D Blu-ray version of STID which provides me with a comprehensive Star Trek (re-imagined) Blu-ray set.

Below you will find my comments on both of these films from my original reviews in addition to the audio/video ratings which remain the same (including the IMAX version of STID which still rates the same). I will combine the film/audio/video ratings and provide a new rating (if warranted) for the bonus material.

Star Trek:

The greatest adventure of all time begins with Star Trek, the incredible story of a young crew’s maiden voyage onboard the most advanced starship ever created: the U.S.S. Enterprise. On a journey filled with action, comedy and cosmic peril, the new recruits must find a way to stop an evil being whose mission of vengeance threatens all of mankind. The fate of the galaxy rests in the hands of bitter rivals. One, James Kirk (Chris Pine), is a delinquent, thrill-seeking Iowa farm boy. The other, Spock (Zachary Quinto), was raised in a logic-based society that rejects all emotion. As fiery instinct clashes with calm reason, their unlikely but powerful partnership is the only thing capable of leading their crew through unimaginable danger, boldly going where no one has gone before.

I don’t think I would necessarily qualify as a tried and true Trekkie since I am not the type to visit conventions and so forth. However I have been watching Star Trek in its various incarnations beginning with the original series since I was little and have been hooked ever since. The original series is nearest and dearest to my heart. Seeing the cast of the original show in their own series of films was rewarding because it gave us a chance to see them in a sort of continuance of their adventures that ended after the TV show went off the air. Harkening back to the original series, I always found it fun but also somewhat necessary to look past its cheap sets and low budget effects. I mean it wasn’t THAT big of a deal but watching today you can’t help but wonder what the creative minds and cast from back then could have done with a budget similar to shows of today. Well we will never know however Paramount and director/producer J.J. Abrams have given us the next best thing.

Star Trek 2009 takes us back to the story’s beginning, taking place before the original series, and details the assemblage of the crew that would become the heart of the Enterprise. Don’t expect this film to resemble the TV series in execution or theme but it captures its essence and reinvigorates the fun, adventure, and excitement that the series conveyed. The story revolves around a rogue Romulan Captain named Nemo (Bana) that is seeking retribution against the Federation and ambassador Spock for the death of his family and the destruction of his world. The problem is that this event occurred in another time and he is using advanced technology and black holes in space to move through time in order to seek his vengeance. The film opens with his appearance on the date of James T. Kirk’s birth, where he savagely attacks and destroys the Federation Starship Kelvin, killing Kirks father but not before he manages to save the lives of over 800 of its crew (including newborn Jim). Years later Jim reluctantly joins the Federation after being reminded by Federation Captain Christopher Pike of his father’s heroism as Pike challenges him to “do better”. Once in the Academy Jim’s innate knack for getting the job done, damn the cost, along with his cocky arrogance puts him at odds with his superiors, including a half human half Vulcan Federation Commander named Spock. When Nemo once again surfaces and attacks Vulcan, with earth as his next target, Jim finds himself facing the same destructive force that killed his father years earlier. He will have to rely on more than just confidence and luck. He will need the help of those who will ultimately become the most trusted people in his life for years to come.

I saw this theatrically and really liked it. I thought the screenplay was extremely well written and appreciated the references to the original series and the enhanced use of action style elements to ignite the story. The characters were sort of brought up to date and drawn well. The Uhura/Spock spin was interesting and added something new. I thought that the cast, especially Zachary Quinto (Spock), Chris Pine (Kirk), and Simon Pegg (Scotty) were well matched to their respective characters. If I had to pick one “bone” it would be with Karl Urban’s McCoy. I think he tried too hard to sound like Deforest Kelly which at times I found distracting. Be that as it may it certainly didn’t detract from the enjoyment of this grand scale production that resurrects one of the most beloved TV series/characters to ever grace both the big and little screen. Seeing it for a second time I found that I enjoyed it even more. I suspect that part of the reason for that is attributable to its awesome high definition presentation on Blu-ray Disc (see below). I look forward to the next installment as I can’t wait to see what lies ahead for the crew of the NCC-1701.

Star Trek Into Darkness:

The crew of the Enterprise is called back home and discovers an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has targeted the fleet and poses a threat to destroy everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a distant and volatile world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Star Trek into darkness picks up where the first film left off, bringing back the cast members in reprisal of their roles as the Kirk and his crew faced their first real challenge that comes in the form of a nemesis resurrected from Trek lore whose name is synonymous with death/destruction. I saw it opening weekend and came away feeling slightly disappointed in that I felt that the script came up a bit short in terms of story development especially when compared to the first film. What I liked about it then and found even more entertaining this second time around is the interaction among the characters and the mildly interjected references/spins on elements from past Trek works be it the TV or film series.

This isn’t an action film per se but there are ample thrills and suspense to coincide with the rewarding levels of drama, and levity which feel decidedly old school Star Trek. As with the first film I find the cast especially Zachary Quinto (Spock), Chris Pine (Kirk), and Simon Pegg (Scotty) to be excellent and appreciate the solid chemistry they share as well as their ability to make these iconic characters their own. I enjoy watching Anton Yelchin, Zoe Saldana, and John Cho who each add an enriching element to Chekov, Uhura and Sulu. I like Karl Urban’s “Bones” but still feel like he is playing the character more like Deforest Kelly rather than interjecting more of himself into the role. I am a Bruce Greenwood fan and his take on Christopher Pike makes for some of the film’s best moments. Benedict Cumberbatch’s performance shouldn’t be overlooked as he made a noteworthy contribution to the film as a whole. Alice Eve is a welcomed addition that also adds some eye candy to the cast.

While I can’t say that Star Trek into darkness is as conceptually strong as the first film I still found it to be every bit as entertaining and superbly executed. It grows on me a little more with each viewing and like the original it effectively compliments the Star Trek franchise and aptly reinvigorates what makes it special to fans. I can’t help but look forward to the next installment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

** Both films share similar production elements, visual design and soundtrack performance hence there are correlating comments in each review. Regardless I opted to include both despite how close they were.

Star Trek:

Audio: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Star Trek comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

This is a high bitrate and stunning reference quality audio/video presentation from Paramount. Images onscreen exhibit high level detail, razor sharpness and resolute definition that bring out the lifelike textures captured by the camera. At times dimensional perspective has an infinite appeal that is captivating. Primary colors are deeply saturated and vivid with wide variable textures and eye catching quality that are accentuated by the video’s higher contrast which made them stand out among the remaining spectrum colors used. Whites are dynamic but maintain definable delineation so that details aren’t lost during brightly lit scenes. There are a variety of dark segments in the film and its ability to clearly render its elements under those conditions is essential to getting the most out of it. Well you can rest assured that this Blu-ray disc delivers some of the richest, deepest and velvety textured blacks that I have seen.

Shadow detail and visibility in low lighting is quite convincing. I was able to clearly make out the metallic and grimy surfaces within the interior backgrounds aboard the Romulan Narada and the uneven and rocky texture of the walls in the darkened cave on Vulcan. Grain is noticeable and appears in fine, even layers that I never found to be intrusive. I never saw any overtly ill effects from mixing CGI content with real people/objects other than a few instances where I noticed that the picture appeared less definitively resolved. This wasn’t to a point where I would say it softened as the effect was more than likely inherent and not encoding related. Lastly, I detected what could have been the presence of faint digital noise in one or two backgrounds. This was primarily aboard the Romulan ship which had a sort of smoky haze that when mixed with the low lighting and light grainy texture may have exacerbated it making it more prominent. It is far from problematic and unless you go looking for it you probably won’t notice. Bottom line is that this is a superlative video presentation that appears to faithfully mimic the film’s theatrical elements.

The high resolution Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is one of the most technically proficient that I have heard and sounds terrific. This is a supremely articulated and commanding presentation that will reward those with systems capable of thoroughly reproducing its elements. This is not an ostentatious or boisterous presentation but it definitively produces powerful dynamics and deep infrasonic bass transients that occasionally could be best described as skin tingling. This soundtrack produces smooth, ultra low and refined bass that can be felt more than heard as it pressurizes the room with incredible tactility that may extend beyond the limits capable of subwoofers not up to the task. This is an extremely engaging and purposeful sound design. It transforms the room into a three dimensional soundstage that creates an immersive 360 degree web of sound capable of bombarding the aural senses by encapsulating the sweet spot (s) with its plethora of sounds and effects that seem to emanate from every direction during the films active moments.

Superb imaging and channel separation draw out both large and small sounds and allow their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable within the room’s acoustic boundaries. Michael Giancchino’s music score drives the story and helps set the stage with its perfect blend of evocative instrumentation and rousing orchestration. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or tonal inflection of voices. Don’t be fooled by the fact that this is not a loud, overtly aggressive action style sound mix. It is an involving, dynamically energized and superlative audio presentation that features high level sonic detail, superb dimensional interrelation, and sublime bass extension that makes for one of the best home theater presentations to date. Star Trek as presented on Blu-ray Disc is an end to end experience that delivers on the potential and promise of the Blu-ray format. Turn it up, sit back and enjoy the ride!

Star Trek Into Darkness:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Star Trek Into Darkness comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is a gorgeous and stunning reference quality video presentation from Paramount. Images onscreen exhibit high level detail, razor sharpness and resolute definition that bring out the lifelike textures captured by the camera. At times dimensional perspective has an infinite appeal. Primary colors, particularly blue are deeply saturated and vivid with wide variable textures and eye catching quality that are accentuated by the video’s higher contrast which made them stand out among the remaining spectrum colors used. Whites are on the hot side but maintain definable delineation so that details aren’t lost during brightly lit scenes. Flesh tones are mildly affected by this, especially those with lighter complexions, but overall tonal balance isn’t compromised. There are a variety of dark segments in the film and its ability to clearly render its elements under those conditions is essential to getting the most out of it. Blacks are rich and velvety with excellent dynamic range that enhances depth while shadow detail reveals plenty of subtle delineation in low level sequences such as the one that takes place on Kronos.

I never saw any distracting effects from mixing CGI content with real people/objects other than some very minor innate softening which never rose to deleterious levels. Those that found the lens flares used for effect in the original film to be annoying will find more of the same here. Personally I am not bothered by it but it is something worth mentioning. It is far from problematic and unless you go looking for it you may or may not even notice. The integrated IMAX segments beginning with the opening sequence and shifting back and forth between 1.78:1 and 2.40:1 aspects look terrific. In examining several segments of each I honestly saw little difference in perceivable resolution although the IMAX segments appeared to be slightly sharper with more depth. I didn’t notice any issues with fidelity and didn’t find it interfered with the visual flow of the film in any way. Bottom line is that this is a superlative video presentation that looks great on my big screen.

Films like this are tailor made for lossless audio’s higher fidelity and Paramount’s 7.1 Dolby TrueHD surround mix doesn’t disappoint. This reference quality soundtrack bristles with active surround sound, extended dynamic range, and punctuated, room energizing bass that makes for an involving home theater experience. Whether it’s the supple texture of dialogue in the background or the weight of a starship suddenly being thrust from warp speed to a stop the auditory is richly basked in sonic clarity and potent dynamic energy. This is an engaging and purposeful sound design that transforms the room into a three dimensional soundstage that creates an immersive listening experience that encapsulates the sweet spot with sounds/effects that seem to emanate from every direction during the films active moments. Excellent balance between the front and rear soundstages enables seamless transference of sounds that pass between the speakers going in either direction.

Superb imaging and channel separation draw out both large and small sounds and allow their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. Michael Giancchino’s music score drives the story and helps set the stage with its perfect blend of evocative instrumentation and rousing orchestration. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or tonal inflection of voices. Low frequencies are rendered cleanly with tactile richness, appropriate extension and on occasion room shaking potential (referencing the aforementioned sequence when the Enterprise is suddenly pulled out of warp on the way to Kronos) that bass fans are sure to appreciate. This is a sterling lossless audio soundtrack that makes for a perfect companion to the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Star Trek - Disc 1:
  • Commentary with J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, Robert Orci
    Disc 2:
  • (HD)To boldly go – 16 minute featurette (plus 4 branching pod segments)
  • (HD)Casting – 29 minute featurette
  • A new vision – 19 minute featurette (plus Savage pressure branching pod)
  • (HD) Starships – 24 minute featurette (plus 7 branching pod segments)
  • (HD) Aliens – 16 minute featurette (plus 5 branching pod segments)
  • (HD) Planets – 16 minute featurette (plus 2 branching pod segments)
  • (HD) Props and costumes – 9 minute featurette (plus Klingon wardrobe branching pod segment)
  • (HD)Ben Burtt and the sounds of Star Trek – 11 minute featurette
  • (HD) Score – 6 minute featurette
  • (HD) Gene Roddenberry’s vision – 8 minute featurette
  • (HD) 9 deleted scenes with optional commentary
  • (HD) Star Fleet vessel simulation – interactive feature that includes The Enterprise and the Romulan Narada
  • (HD) Gag reel – 6 minutes
  • (HD) 4 trailers
  • Digital Copy

Star Trek Into Darkness – Disc 1:
  • Star Trek Into Darkness IMAX version
  • Enhanced commentary
    Disc 2:
  • (HD) Creating the red planet – 8 minute featurette
  • (HD) Attack on Star Fleet – 5 minute featurette
  • (HD) The Klingon home world – 7 minute featurette
  • (HD) The enemy of my enemy – 7 minute featurette
  • (HD) Ship to ship – 6 minute featurette
  • (HD) Brawl by the bay – 5 minute featurette
  • (HD) Continuing the mission – 2 minute featurette
  • The mission continues – 1 minute public service announcement for returning war veterans
  • (HD) National Ignition facility: Home of the core – Production featurette
  • (HD) Aliens encountered – Production featurette
  • (HD) Vengeance is coming – Production featurette
  • (HD) Mr. Spock and Mr. Spock featurette
  • (HD) Down with the ship – FX featurette
  • (HD) Kirk and Spock featurette
  • (HD) Unlocking the cut featurette
  • (HD) The sounds of music (and FX) featurette
  • (HD) Visual affection – FX featurette
  • (HD) Safety first feature
  • (HD)*NEW Gag Reel
  • (HD)*NEW Fitting the future – Production featurette
  • (HD)*NEW Property of Starfleet – Production featurette
  • (HD) Deleted scenes
  • (HD) Theatrical trailers
  • Digital Copy]

Final Thoughts:

J.J Abrams re-imagined Star Trek presents Trek fans as well as unfamiliar genre fans with a superbly crafted sci-fi adventure experience that capably reinvigorates one of the most beloved TV shows and sets of characters in entertainment history. Star Trek: The Compendium brings Star Trek/Star Trek Into Darkness together in an inclusive package that, with the exclusion of the 3D Blu-ray version of STID, includes the previously released films/supplements. As a bonus the IMAX version of Star Trek Into Darkness makes its high definition debut here along with several previously unreleased STID supplemental features.

Star Trek: The Compendium comes to Blu-ray featuring the same superlative high definition audio/video quality that has made them popular among enthusiasts since their release on the format. The comprehensive supplemental package is well worth the time it takes to explore. For those that already own both films on Blu-ray the primary attraction to this set will depend largely on how important the IMAX version of STID is to you. I enjoyed the IMAX presentation (and the inclusive supplement/film option) enough that I have added Star Trek: The Compendium to my collection. As a fan I would be remiss if I didn’t suggest that this release deserves your consideration.

Star Trek Trailer:

Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer:

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
mogrub, Phrehdd, REDdawn6 and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I love these movies!
post #3 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Although I'm not a big fan of rapidly changing aspect ratios, the audio commentary and new bonus materials may sweeten the deal for me,seems best to hang on to my 3D bd of STITD, as always awesome review.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #4 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Nice work Ralph, thanks.

I've never watched an IMAX presentation outside of an IMAX theater. For me, the primary advantage of a dedicated, classic IMAX theater is the immersive boost you get from sitting so close to the bigger, higher resolution image.

Since buying the IMAX format can't bring the entire IMAX audio / visual experience home, if you get a chance, maybe you can talk a little about your specific impressions with STID -- which parts of the IMAX experience did you feel were brought home? Which stayed behind at the IMAX theater?

Also, did the additional data captured in an IMAX shoot translate to a noticeably sharper image at home? Any impressions welcomed.

Thanks again. Cheers!
Ralph Potts and Tim Glover like this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #5 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Now with even more LENS FLARE! Ha ha.

Thanks for the review Ralph. Keep up the good work.

Personally I think J.J. Abrams is an incompetent Director. He writes incoherent stories and his camera work is shoddy at best.
The new Star Trek series is the perfect example of this.
In Star Trek: Into Darkness, J.J. Abrams he had to go back and digitally remove lens flare from the film, there was just too much of it in the film. This is a perfect example of his incompetence.
The dialogue and story of both new Star Trek movies was abysmal, and a ten year old could have written a more coherent story, if not written then outlined it in crayons.

Having said this the CGI in the movies is absolutely amazing, and my hat goes off to the CGI teams that poured their sweat and blood into this movie.
slimm, bulls, cardoski and 1 others like this.

post #6 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Grr... Another double-dip decision. Since I already have the 3D Blu of STID, and the first film in the reboot as well I'll have to base decision on the merits of the extras. Maybe for the Christmas list lol...
post #7 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I have every bit of Trek on VHS, DVD and what is available on BD. I have watched both JJ movies several times but as much as I try I just can't get behind these movies. I want to so badly.....
Exist_To_Resist and peschiNL like this.

James Reid:D
post #8 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Nice work Ralph, thanks.

I've never watched an IMAX presentation outside of an IMAX theater. For me, the primary advantage of a dedicated, classic IMAX theater is the immersive boost you get from sitting so close to the bigger, higher resolution image.

Since buying the IMAX format can't bring the entire IMAX audio / visual experience home, if you get a chance, maybe you can talk a little about your specific impressions with STID -- which parts of the IMAX experience did you feel were brought home? Which stayed behind at the IMAX theater?

Also, did the additional data captured in an IMAX shoot translate to a noticeably sharper image at home? Any impressions welcomed.

Thanks again. Cheers!
Greetings,

Thanks for your post mogrub.

The IMAX segments are used during key points in the film to enhance the visual experience as well as underscore the elements contained in the story line. The chase and subsequent battle on Kronos is one such example. Beginning as the away team descends from the Enterprise headed toward Kronos the expanse of outer space, the switch from scope to IMAX in conveying the breadth of the starship and the streaming shuttle headed toward the dark planet had a striking and immersive quality.

This continued as they encountered the Klingon Warbirds as the framing switched back and forth, scope while viewing the interior of the shuttle and IMAX when viewed from the exterior as they attempted to elude their pursuers. The ground battle afterward was in the IMAX format entirely. This was done throughout (the opening sequence is another good example) and I found its effects to be complimentary.

As I mentioned in the review I found there to be a minimal increase in sharpness with the IMAX footage but nothing drastic.

Regards,
mogrub and fredxr2d2 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #9 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You just can't replace Shatner and I remember in '09 when this was coming out (Star Trek). I had little hope for the franchise because of Nemesis (what a horrible movie). HOWEVER, I fell in love with the reboot for what it was, and really liking the chemistry between the new charactors. I saw Star Trek twice in the theater. H O W E V E R.....Star Trek Into Darkness (even though I bought it...didn't see it in the theaters) is, IMO, a very sad follow-thru to the 2009 film. It is soooo forgettable! There was hardly any scenes with REST...Remember the conversation at Kirk's apartment/house between Kirk and Bones in Wrath of Khan??? It was like you were there, and the conversation was actually a full scene....Unfortunately, we really don't see/experience that in most movies nowadays.....ANYWAY....END OF RANT!
bulls and mogrub like this.

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #10 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I was never into Star Trek much but found the 2009 movie very enjoyable. Into Darkness, however, has a script so dumb it competes with the script for Prometheus for the Dumbest Script for a High-Profile Sci-Fi Movie Award. And that's quite an accomplishment.

Edit: I own both STID and Prometheus. They're still sci-fi and hey, even bad sci-fi is better than no sci-fi.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Oppo 103D
post #11 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Like many others, not a fan of these. Star Trek ended after Enterprise. I've seen the first one twice and the second one once, that will probably be the only times I watch them ever. Really wishing CBS would get a good TV series going at this point and have nothing to do with the JJ universe.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #12 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I watch the first movie on AMC with story lines &behind the scenes footage, it showed the director using a flashlight to add more lens flare, go figure! It doesn't bother me except in the 2009 one.loved both movies
post #13 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I'm the guy at work who organized 70 people going to sci-fi movie night when Star Trek then next generation movie came out, I'm also the guy who was late for a friends wedding because a "new episode" of ST:TNG was being aired....

2009 re-boot was A+, STID well a B is best I can give that.
These space movies are a natural to be re-released in Dolby Atmos, so while love these time to wait for that, 4k + Dolby Atmos that will be when I purchase this set.

Maybe 2016/17 that will be released??
post #14 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have every bit of Trek on VHS, DVD and what is available on BD. I have watched both JJ movies several times but as much as I try I just can't get behind these movies. I want to so badly.....

I can't either. The problem isn't cast and crew (not one I don't like) its the freakin story. Every one Abrams did ended back at earth!!! "Too boldy go to where we have been before and back to earth" is really the motto. Does the bridge of the Enterprise have to be lit up like a science lab???

Into the Darkness had me excited at the beginning because here is this NEW world, different people, and different environment. "Now this is what I was waiting for!" I thought. Then as quickly as I got excited, were back on earth. James loses being the Captain, blah blah didn't care. You didn't boldly go where no man has been before. Matter a fact you just keep rehashing crap. To me this Star Trek leaned more towards Battlefield Earth. I like JJ, but this last Star Trek was not Star Trek at all. The ending was best because they actually took off for deep space. Shouldn't have taken 2 movies to do that.

I really wish they would make a new Star Trek every 2 years. I am getting MARVEL COMICS burned out and need a good space movie. The whole genre seems dry.

Cool Beans.
post #15 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
You just can't replace Shatner

In my eyes, I thought Picard was better out of all of them. lol That's IMO though.
Dave Vaughn and slimm like this.

Cool Beans.
post #16 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Thanks for your post mogrub. The IMAX segments are used during key points in the film to enhance the visual experience as well as underscore the elements contained in the story line ... and I found its effects to be complimentary ... I found there to be a minimal increase in sharpness with the IMAX footage but nothing drastic.
Thanks Ralph! That's a great update, except you just cost me a few bucks, since now we have to see the IMAX version at home.

I've only spun the disc once, but I think the second Hunger Games movie (Catching Fire) is another that shifts from a wide screen to a full 16x9 screen presentation at various points, and I enjoyed the impact of that a bunch.

Cheers!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #17 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
You just can't replace Shatner and I remember in '09 when this was coming out (Star Trek). I had little hope for the franchise ... HOWEVER, I fell in love with the reboot for what it was, and really liking the chemistry between the new characters ... Remember the conversation at Kirk's place between Kirk and Bones in Wrath of Khan??? It was like you were there, and the conversation was actually a full scene ... we really don't see/experience that in most movies nowadays.
Great take KBMAN, but I would have figured all the Star Trek captains look great in your killer new theater.

I didn't warm to him for a while either, but I finally came to appreciate Patrick Stewart as a gifted actor. And I like what Chris Pine brings to the reboots too. Even so, it was hard to say goodbye to the old cast, and their powerful connections on the screen.

I'm one of the outliers that enjoyed Nemesis. Still do, once a year or so. "She's a predator." I know the script has been widely criticized as implausible, but I have no trouble with all the head-scratching scripts and story lines over the years. Implausibility doesn't bug me much in this genre -- as long as the acting and special effects are up to snuff.

Sorry Ralph, veering slightly off topic, but at least worked Chris Pine and the reboots into it.
KBMAN likes this.

Last edited by mogrub; 08-27-2014 at 09:58 PM.
post #18 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ralph - where did you get that particular pic of the Enterprise? Isn’t that one of the fan concepts?

As a 52 year old TOS fan I have to say I do enjoy these versions immensely and will be doing the double dip for mostly the IMAX scenes and to have all the extras in one place.

I know there is a vocal minority opposed to Bad Robot’s take on Star Trek, but they are doing exactly what the studio asked of them - and that was to make Star Trek popular to mainstream audiences, and of course to make some money as well.

Oh, and I believe Paramount is offering a $5.00 rebate for a limited time for those who one or both of the other movies.

Great review as always...
post #19 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post

Personally I think J.J. Abrams is an incompetent Director. He writes incoherent stories and his camera work is shoddy at best.
In Star Trek: Into Darkness, J.J. Abrams he had to go back and digitally remove lens flare from the film, there was just too much of it in the film. This is a perfect example of his incompetence.
The dialogue and story of both new Star Trek movies was abysmal, and a ten year old could have written a more coherent story, if not written then outlined it in crayons.

Having said this the CGI in the movies is absolutely amazing, and my hat goes off to the CGI teams that poured their sweat and blood into this movie.
I have to agree on the camera work.
And let's hope he never attempts to "reboot" 2001 A Space Odyssey:
"My God... It's full of lens-flare!"

But I did rather enjoy Super 8 (love cranking up that train wreck), and, after curbing my expectations his take on Star Trek as well. Better than some of the other "reboots" I've seen of late (and I'm really starting to hate that word lol).
post #20 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 33
While this looks too good to pass up I'm holding out for the HDR graded version/ Atmos remix if they do that... hopefully with 3D
post #21 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
As Ralph says, sit back and enjoy the ride. Can't go wrong with STiD but the question is which ride. If you're upgrading to Atmos I would wait. If not, jump in and buckle up.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #22 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I fall in the camp that like those new movies.
I would like like someone to confirm this is not a new movie, but basicaly a combo set!?

Thanks

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #23 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It is a combo set.
darthray likes this.
post #24 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

You made a lens flare reference. How original. That's not played out at all.

So, you found the stories incoherent? You do know that means confusing and hard to follow, right? You may not have liked them but those movies were anything but hard to follow. If you were confused by such straight forward story telling, well, that says more about your compression skills (or lack there of) than it does about Abrams work.

Also, you are aware that he didn't write either of these movies or operate the cameras, yes? Maybe you're talking about when he worked on TV and did such things but I'm not sure how that's relevant here.

Either way, Abrams is anything but incompetent.

Your "review" makes you sound like a fool.
post #25 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

There is no dislike button so...

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #26 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I got this on Monday and had to leave town on business. Can't wait to watch it this weekend to see the IMAX scenes! Great review Ralph!!!
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #27 of 65 Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Damn, after all that time I spent journeying to those different Target stores to find the damn thing ! I was sure they wouldn't double-dip on it simply because they usually didn't. Sold my DVD of the first Abrams movie though, so I'm glad I didn't snap up the Blu for that. I'll hold my nose and get this, maybe now that they've bled the Abrams movies dry, they'll do some damn proper remasters of the first ten, especially the DCs.

As far as Abrams, though I by no means think he's "incompetent," I've never been able to think he can shake his TV roots, relying more on the rhythm of his scripts and bombarding the audience with dialogue and laser lights rather than concrete visual ideas or suspense. Most of what I've seen of his has felt like a glorified TV pilot and done too much Spielberg-aping for my taste. That said, though he likely does it for hipster reasons and digitally processes the hell out of it, I admire him for shooting 35mm and standing up for the format, though I don't foresee him as being one of those in it for the long haul.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-27-2014 at 11:40 PM.
post #28 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Great take KBMAN, but I would have figured all the Star Trek captains look great in your killer new theater.

I didn't warm to him for a while either, but I finally came to appreciate Patrick Stewart as a gifted actor. And I like what Chris Pine brings to the reboots too. Even so, it was hard to say goodbye to the old cast, and their powerful connections on the screen.

I'm one of the outliers that enjoyed Nemesis. Still do, once a year or so. "She's a predator." I know the script has been widely criticized as implausible, but I have no trouble with all the head-scratching scripts and story lines over the years. Implausibility doesn't bug me much in this genre -- as long as the acting and special effects are up to snuff.

Sorry Ralph, veering slightly off topic, but at least worked Chris Pine and the reboots into it.
Actually, I have great fondness to Packard....I was in 7th grade when TNG first appeard. Call me racist or not, but I found it strange to see a Klingon on the bridge I have since loved Roddenbery's approche to his never-endend forward thinking....Patcherik (sp) is one of the best Captains ever.....................

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #29 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Hold the applause folks... But "K" is never wrong.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	So True.jpg
Views:	1095
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	233002  
post #30 of 65 Old 08-28-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
I can't either. The problem isn't cast and crew (not one I don't like) its the freakin story. Every one Abrams did ended back at earth!!! "Too boldy go to where we have been before and back to earth" is really the motto.

The majority of VOYAGE HOME and FIRST CONTACT took place on Earth. Very popular films too.
Part of II, III, V, VI, and NEMESIS took place on Earth.

It's not a valid complaint IMO.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page