AVS Forum banner

Guardians of the Galaxy (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Tags
frontpage
15K views 163 replies 73 participants last post by  Philnick 
#1 ·

Check out our review of this action-packed space adventure that expands the Marvel Cinematic universe into the cosmos as a group of space criminals must work together to stop the fanatical villain Ronan the Accuser from destroying the galaxy.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Marvel - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time:
Genre:

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect:
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s):
Subtitles:
Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Lee Pace, Bradley Cooper (voice), Vin Diesel (voice), Michael Rooker, Glenn Close, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Benicio Del Toro, Karen Gillan,
Directed by: James Gunn
Music by: Tyler Bates
Written by: James Dunn & Nicole Perlman
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 9, 2014

"When things get bad, they’ll do their worst"

My Take:

An action-packed, epic space adventure, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits—Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot, a tree-like humanoid, the deadly and enigmatic Gamora and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last desperate stand—with the galaxy's fate in the balance.

Created by Arnold Drake and Gene Colan, the Guardians of the Galaxy were introduced in 1969 as a team of heroes in the 31st century—each member the last of his kind. The idea of creating a cinematic project from that concept had much going for it—not only a remarkable group of characters operating within an amazing universe, but also an opportunity to explore another side of the Marvel Universe, contemporaneous with The Avengers, maintaining the scope, action and humor, as well as a sense of the high stakes at its core, which made that film such a success.

As a kid I read Marvel Comics almost exclusively (a little DC too) but never really heard of Guardians of the Galaxy. Seeing the trailer was the first I’d heard or seen it. That made me chuckle aloud and definitely left me eager for more. The whole family when to see it opening weekend and the reaction across the board was a resounding thumbs up. Guardians of the Galaxy is a perfect blend of tongue-in-cheek humor, engaging action, endearing characters and inventive energy. The script expertly balances character development with thematic touchstones, clever dialogue, spot on pacing and a blend of period music that sets the mood.

As you might expect from a Marvel Studios film the production elements from the special effects to the costumes/make-up are top notch. The cast is the final and defining element that brings it all together. Chris Pratt was a perfect choice for Peter Quill and combines just the right amount of charisma with excellent comedic timing and rewarding chemistry with every other member of the ensemble. Speaking of which I found essentially every choice made to be the right one in support of the narrative’s various plot points and thematic tone. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Dave Bautista’s always literal “Drax”. Zoe Saldana always has it going on and Lee Pace nailed Ronan. I think that the combination of Bradley Cooper’s “Rocket” and Vin Diesel’s “I am Groot” (along with the superlative CG work to create them) probably made for some of the film’s best moments. Honorable mention has to go out to my man Michael Rooker as the scene stealing “Yondu”.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a success in that it has the right ingredients to appeal not only to genre fans but a broader audience base that can revel in its entertaining fusion. I enjoyed it even more this second time around and look forward to seeing what lies in store for the next installment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi action/violence and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Guardians of the Galaxy comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 Mbps.

This film essentially utilizes two distinct visual styles to convey its thematic content. One makes use of darker/monochromatic color schemes while the other features starker contrast and vibrant colors emboldened by warm accents. Each provides the look that the filmmakers strove for to drive the narrative components. Close ups reveal crisp definition and perceptible detail that reveals the presence of pores, stubble, peach fuzzy hair and the minutia visible in the costumes and make-up worn by the members of the cast. The texture on the surfaces of objects is just as defining which give them visibly apparent structure and lifelike quality. Black levels are deep and contrast is spot on which delivers bright punchy whites and appreciable dimension when mixed light/dark elements are present onscreen. The video has a noticeably clean and pristine quality that appears devoid of video related anomalies and artifacts.

I had high expectations for this soundtrack on Blu-ray and this 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio presentation didn’t disappoint and bested what I heard in the theater. This lossless soundtrack is reference quality and is dynamically enriched which accents the active nature of the sound design. Dialogue has excellent presence with clear, defining vocal character and noteworthy room penetration. The mix makes involving use of the surround channels as multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that they coincide with the events transpiring onscreen. The escape sequence at the Kiln and the assault on Zandor in the finale showcases the enveloping nature of the mix and are lots of fun as various objects swirl around the soundstage.

The active sound design utilizes the subwoofer to accentuate its already extended dynamic range. Again, the action based sequences referenced above sound great and there is a particularly nice low level rumble during an explosion inside the Collector’s lair in sequence that takes place in “Nowhere”. Essentially throughout the presentation the quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency detail. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with this terrific soundtrack. Guardians of the Galaxy on Blu-ray is demonstrative worthy and makes for a great home theater experience.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Guide to the Galaxy with James Gunn – 21 minute featurette
  • (HD) The intergalactic visual effects of Guardians of the Galaxy – 7 minute featurette
  • (HD) Exclusive look at Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron – 2 minutes
  • (HD) 5 deleted scenes with optional director commentary
  • (HD) Gag reel – 4 minutes
  • Director Audio Commentary

Final Thoughts:

Guardians of the Galaxy is another successful comic to big screen adaptation from Marvel Studios and makes for an entertaining installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring top notch high definition audio/video mated with a fair supplemental package that looks behind the scenes and includes an exclusive look at the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron due out in the spring of 2015. I am a fan and can’t recommend Guardians of the Galaxy on Blu-ray enough. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 16
#2 ·
Thank you as always Ralph!

This ended up being my favorite film of the year by a good margin and am glad the BD doesn't disapoint.

#7 ·
I'm actually holding off on all new purchases right now, as I don't want to double dip on a lot of movies when the Atmos version comes out six months later.
Of course that goes extra for Marvel movies, I waited for the Phase 1 box set and was not dissapointed (it exceeded my expectations by far actually) so I will hold out for the Phase 2 set. By then, 4k bluray will be here so hopefully they include that too. (I'm also waiting on 4k BD before I purchase the Hobbit EE trilogy. I waited a decade before I boought LOTR trilogy because I refused to buy it until the EE blurays released and I can wait for the Hobbit as well.)

#11 ·
A+ movie I'm glad the blu-ray held up to the Cinema experience.
Well, I hope to at least hear some content around 20hz....
Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

I went "cheap" on Amazon for free shipping, so will watch it in 2 weeks ...
Pre-ordered: Expected delivery: Monday, December 15, 2014 - Friday, December 19, 2014 by 8pm

Guardians of the Galaxy (3D Blu-ray + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Chris Pratt: Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
Release date: Tuesday, December 9, 2014

#12 ·
Avoided seeing this flick in commercial theaters, because the trailers for it didn't peak my interest.
However, after reading reviews at imdb.com and now Ralph's glowing review, I'm going to blind buy it next Tuesday.

Also, it helps that the 3D Blu-ray is priced at only $19.99. :D

#13 ·
man one of those movies that I was really really hoping would be released in ATMOS... I have been watching the early digital release but it certainly is no where near the quality I was hoping for, so I have a pre-order set for the 3d bluray :)

Reactions: robert816
#20 ·
Thanks for the review, Ralph - it looks like a great film! :)

I ordered this one (2D/3D version) the day it became available for pre-order - so really looking forward to seeing it. Will report back after watching... :cool:

Reactions: Ralph Potts
#24 ·
Damn, no 3d? I'm real curious how it is on blu-ray. First time I had been to that particular theater but this had about the best 3d I've ever seen in a theater.

Weird how Disney is releasing their non-animated films on blu-ray in 3d but not the animated ones (in the U.S. at least). I just really don't get that.

Great to hear about the sound.

#28 ·
Thanks Ralph for another great review:D

This is the kind of movie that I cannot wait to see, right in my alley as a fun ride:)
Bummer we have to wait another week to see it.
But the new planet of the ape is out, so we have something to watch this Sunday.

I see lots of member looking forward to Atmos.
I told my wife that I was done with up-grade when I bought the AV8801.
If I ever go that route I am looking at $7000 or so more.
The new AV8802 + the Outlaw 7500 for power amps and 4 more Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers and of course speaker wire and XLR cable.

So decision, decision.
A new projector? one step up from my JVC X30/RS45 to the next level, or Atmos?:eek:

Ray

#34 ·
Thanks Ralph for another great review:D

This is the kind of movie that I cannot wait to see, right in my alley as a fun ride:)
Bummer we have to wait another week to see it.
But the new planet of the ape is out, so we have something to watch this Sunday.

I see lots of member looking forward to Atmos.
I told my wife that I was done with up-grade when I bought the AV8801.
If I ever go that route I am looking at $7000 or so more.
The new AV8802 + the Outlaw 7500 for power amps and 4 more Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers and of course speaker wire and XLR cable.

So decision, decision.
A new projector? one step up from my JVC X30/RS45 to the next level, or Atmos?:eek:

Ray

In the end it's about how much discretionary $$ you allocate to your hobby , without getting divorced of course :)

Knowing that Atmos in home theatre is in its infancy, there are other object sound formats also (Auro and soon DTS-UHD), You may want to wait till 2016 for upgrade then.

Video side same, Laser 4k PJ's are on the horizon.....with Rec2020/Dolby HDR etc improvements I'd also say wait till 2016.
My 0.02.

Heck spend your $$ and help fund the R&D cycle if you really must.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

#30 ·
3D

Anyone see the 3D version of this? If so, can you add to Ralph's (already excellent) review?

#88 ·
Anyone see the 3D version of this? If so, can you add to Ralph's (already excellent) review?
I just got my copy in today & skipped around to the eye candy scenes. The 3D is indeed fantastic! One of the best 3D discs in my collection now :)
I saw it in IMAX 3D when it was in theaters... this looked just as good to my eyes... just not as big obviously since I'm on a 64" set.

#33 ·
Nice Review Ralph. Im excited to see that the presentation is excellent. It defintly was when I seen it this summer in 3D at IMAX with my wife and I literally fell in love with this movie. My favorite of the year. Had some great homur too. Really looking forward to picking this up in the 3D version.

#37 ·
Caught this in the theater myself, and that was honestly two hours of pain, and I think I blocked most of it out.

I might becoming a bit of a AV tech-snob, but as far as the experience went for me then they might as well have replaced the entire theater surround system with a single large mono speaker driven to it's outmost limits.
I honestly saw people thumbing their ears during loud sections..

Anyhoo, that doesn't mean I'm not stoked to finally be able too see and enjoy this movie as it just landed in my mailbox today :D

#41 ·
They re-release BD movies all the time. If the Atmos track exists, why not add it? Studios love extra income, I think we will see more of what Gravity is doing, I just have no idea on what scale.

Back on track, I did like this movie. I thought it was a tad overhyped (I saw after it had been out for a while) but I can understand the hype due to the low expectations so many had going in. It is funny how expectation impacts one’s experience. :)

D-Box is going to be fun on this title too!

#43 ·
For those interested, the 3D Blu Ray incorporates mixed aspect ratios, opening up the matte for the big action / IMAX sequences etc. Haven't seen this version yet but have heard it's spectacular and helps the 3D for those scenes to be that much more immersive. Really looking forward to it. Those with CIH setups may not feel the same.

#49 ·
This was easily my favorite movie of the year too. I have a dedicated Atmos Home Theater that causes the local nuclear power plant to engage when I Fire up the system. Although I too wish the upcoming BD release had an Atmos mix, the DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer for non-Atmos material) has been nothing short of amazing for my other lossless titles. I expect nothing less than that for GOTG!

I don't like getting double dipped either, but this movie was so good I'll buy an Atmos version when/if it comes out next year.

Thanks for the review!

#53 ·
This was easily my favorite movie of the year too. I have a dedicated Atmos Home Theater that causes the local nuclear power plant to engage when I Fire up the system. Although I too wish the upcoming BD release had an Atmos mix, the DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer for non-Atmos material) has been nothing short of amazing for my other lossless titles. I expect nothing less than that for GOTG!
Very close to sounding like GotG (Gotgilla - Godzilla). ;)

I agree with your review Ralph watched it the other night on blu ray and it was awesome. Will watch agin this Saturday night with the kids.

Tonight "Lucy" on blu
That, I just can't wait! ...So Frank, tell us all about it ASAP.

* Start a brand new thread. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.