AVS Forum banner

Lucy (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Tags
frontpage
14K views 117 replies 58 participants last post by  artsci2 
#1 ·

Check out our review of this sci-fi action thriller about a woman, accidentally caught in a dark deal, who turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior with abilities evolved beyond human understanding.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal – 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1, Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Choi Min-Sik, Amr Waked
Written & Directed by: Luc Besson
Music by: Eric Serra
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 20, 2015

"She has the power…"

My Take:

From the visionary director of La Femme Nikita and The Professional and starring Scarlett Johansson and Academy Award® winner Morgan Freeman comes an action-thriller about a woman accidentally caught in a dark deal who turns the tables on her captors. Accidentally exposed to a dangerous new drug Lucy’s body is altered and undergoes a metamorphosis that slowly begins to unlock her brain’s potential. The average person uses just 10% of their brain’s capacity. At 20% Lucy became capable of telekinesis, pain suppression and a seemingly infinite level of knowledge gleaned in mere seconds from the internet. As her evolution continues her powers grow with each increase toward her ability to use more of her brain’s capacity. Approaching 100% of using her brain’s capacity Lucy has evolved beyond human comprehension. You don’t want to stand in her way…

Written and directed by Luc Besson this is a fun sci-fi action thriller built around a strong female character, territory not unfamiliar to Besson. As with most of Besson’s films there are engaging visual elements blended within the narrative framework. The storyline is simple in tone while incorporating complex ideas that combine fact and fiction in a sort of mind bending mix that proves pretty entertaining. Lucy isn’t up to the level of Luc Besson’s best efforts but his signature style and flair for exuberance carry it through. When you combine that with a charismatic and complimentary performance by Scarlett Johansson (with an honorable mention nod going to the always reliable Morgan Freeman) genre fans are in for a treat. I saw it earlier this year in the theater with my wife and we both enjoyed it. This revisit proved no less entertaining and perhaps even a bit more fun thanks to a great presentation on Blu-ray.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, disturbing images, and sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Lucy comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

This is a reference quality Blu-ray offering from Universal that looks terrific in high definition. The video is razor sharp with a pristine quality that is visually pleasing. Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen. Colors are rich and delineated with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pop nicely. The extensive palette of secondary hues featured in the story appear vivid and warm. Flesh tones are natural with varying degrees of complexional separation among the cast. Boldly applied contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is strong which brings out plenty of discernible texture in low/uneven lighting and dark backgrounds. The CGI based and green screen photography softened some shots but its effects are innate and fidelity remained unaffected.

This Lossless DTS-HD MA surround mix accents the video presentation and makes regular use of the entire system to drive the film’s elements. This is a well-balanced and fairly active soundtrack that augments the dynamic impact associated with the films action and music score. The surround channels are appropriately engaged with a blend of discretely placed sounds and spatial ambience. Dynamic range is extended and accents the high level of sonic detail present in the recording. I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds that were contained in the background. The mix facilitates natural integration of the front and rear channels which creates a stable and well-proportioned listening experience that is complimented by rich bass that has excellent palpability and room energizing extension.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) *Exclusive* The evolution of Lucy – 16 minute featurette
  • (HD) Cerebral capacity – 10 minute featurette
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Lucy is a fast paced and entertaining sci-fi action thriller that comes from the mind of writer/director Luc Besson. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring reference quality high definition audio/video and a middling supplemental package that includes insights from the cast and writer/director Besson. Lucy may not be up to the level of Besson’s best work but it proves lots of fun nonetheless and is worth checking out on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 17
#3 ·
Yup, I've been waiting for this one also, although I do wish they would have given us a 7.1 master mix, but I'll probably buy it again once I can find a copy with the Auro mix anyway.

#10 ·
Good review.

Every Besson movie is a must have for us. I am a Besson fan since 'Subway'. As you've said, strong female protagonists are a signature for his movies. We saw this one also sometime in the summer and liked it. Great to see that the video and sound are very good on BD.

Cheers
Thanks for the great review Ralph! I have been looking forward to this one and I enjoyed your breakdown.
Greetings,

You're welcome! Be sure to post back once you've seen it at home. I would like to hear your impressions.. ;)

Regards,

#9 ·
Greetings,

Full run through is only once unless there are circumstances that require otherwise. My default viewing in most cases will be using Dolby Surround (using all of the speakers in my system). After that I will watch select scenes using straight audio decode in order to check out the soundtrack in its pure form.

Regards,

#16 ·
This could have been a stinker if it drug itself out. Luckily it didn't. Fast pace, to the point, and done. No over-thinking it, to the point. ScarJo going from human to almost robot like was (whether some want to admit it for this movie) good acting. No emotion whatsoever. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 4/5 And thanks for keeping it short.

#20 · (Edited)
Cool.special effects sprinkled over a script written in dog excrement and acting so god awful, I had to double check if I was actually watching Sweet Home Alabama by mistake. I wasn't. Stay away. Or go ahead and watch it. I'll be the guy waiting to say, "I told you so."

Reactions: bulls
#25 ·
This looks like a rental for me for sure. Ralph I'm curious to know how you feel the pure dts track measures up to the upscaled version you listened to as well.

#27 · (Edited)
I'm buying this Blu-ray already, ...Tuesday.
/// Just no way that I'm going to pass on a Luc Besson's flick, and not adding up to my Luc Besson Blu-ray movie collection.

* Some things in life you just owe to live by; and this, is only one of them.
The next one is Dolby Atmos and dts:x and Auro-3D.

Another one is to be true to yourself, always and forever. :)

________

Thx Ralph for a good review. :cool:

#35 ·
How the heck, I miss this one:eek:

Look like a fun ride to me, so I will buy-it.
If "this and Godzilla turned out to be the two biggest disappointments of 2014" for a certain member.

It is for me, since I really enjoy Godzilla as a couple of hours of pure entertainment.

We all have different taste for movies.
Some like solid story, others like accurate.
Me and some other, is just entertainment and a few hours to escape the daily life:)

I'm in, it will be add to the pile of movies to watch (about a dozen , now).

Ray

#42 ·
How the heck, I miss this one:eek:

Look like a fun ride to me, so I will buy-it.
If "this and Godzilla turned out to be the two biggest disappointments of 2014" for a certain member.

It is for me, since I really enjoy Godzilla as a couple of hours of pure entertainment.

We all have different taste for movies.
Some like solid story, others like accurate.
Me and some other, is just entertainment and a few hours to escape the daily life:)

I'm in, it will be add to the pile of movies to watch (about a dozen , now).

Ray

Sorry to go OT, but I could not see anything from Godzilla. It was so dark. I have an 82 inch screen and was always trying to figure out what was happening.

#38 ·
This movie polarized critics. The 10% brain use is an urban myth. Each portion of the brain has an important purpose. Neuroscientists say it is hard to quantify exactly what portion of the brain is in use, but it is a lot more than 10%.

Even if we did buy into the myth, does being smarter enable you to be telekinetic, to change the laws of physics? No. Being smarter would enable you to learn a language more quickly, of course. But you would still have to first hear the language and then learn. You can't create info of the blue. This is only one of many examples of Besson playing fast and lose with chemistry/physics.

Having said that, if you can get past the implausibility, then this movie was very entertaining. Johanson just keeps growing and improving s an actress (Under the Skin another example of her growth).

She was very solid here.

The visuals from this movie were outstanding.

If you check your logic at the door of your HT, this movie was fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.