Check out our review of Season Five of this compelling, well-written and popular English serial set in early 1900’s England that follows the familial drama surrounding an aristocratic family that resides/owns a palatial estate known as Downton Abbey.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: PBS - 2014
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 525
Genre: TV Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: > Hugh Bonneville, Elizabeth McGovern, Jim Carter, Brendan Coyle, Penelope Wilton, Joanne Froggatt, Maggie Smith, Rob James-Collier, Allen Leech, Phyllis Logan, Sophie McShera, Cara Theobold, Lesley Nichol, Lily James, Kevin Doyle, Michelle Dockery, Ed Speleers
Directed by: Catherine Morshead, Minkie Spiro, Philip John, Michael Engler
Written by: Julian Fellows
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 27, 2015
"The plot thickens"
My Take:

One of the recurring themes of “Downton Abbey” is change, from the wrenching consequences of the Titanic disaster in Season 1 to a notorious automobile accident at the end of Season 3 – plus World War I, women’s rights, and the new morals, inventions, and fashions of the 1920s.

Which is where Season 5 kicks off. It’s 1924. The United Kingdom has its first Labor Party prime minister. The radio is the latest miracle of the age. And Downton’s traditional ways are besieged on all fronts. Robert, Mary, and Branson must navigate these shifting sands together to ensure the future of the estate for generations to come. Downstairs, all of the servants must consider what effect social changes may have on their working lives. No one, from Mr. Carson to Daisy, will be left unaffected. The Crawley family and the servants who work for them remain inseparably intertwined as they rise to meet the new challenges of the day.

Viewers can expect to follow plot threads left dangling from last season, including Lady Mary’s courtship contest, Lady Edith’s trials as a secret single mom, Thomas’ scheming against Bates, Robert’s battles against modernity, Tom’s quest to be true to his ideals, Violet’s one-line zingers, and much, much more.

This is now my third season as a devoted fan of Downton Abbey. Prior to season three I hadn’t watched the series but heard nothing but positives things from those that had. I initially had some reservations based solely on the subject matter and genre as it just sounded like it would be a slow melodrama set in a location/period specific setting that might be difficult to connect with. After watching season three my wife and I were instantly hooked and thoroughly enjoy the show
. After the heartwarming season four finale we eagerly awaited season five which we began watching this month on PBS. As luck would have it the season five Blu-ray arrived between the airing of episodes two and three which allowed us to plow through the remaining seven episodes. As with the prior two seasons we found ourselves completely engrossed in this well written serial set in early 1900’s England that follows the familial drama surrounding an aristocratic family that resides/owns a palatial estate known as Downton Abbey. Along with the aristocratic affairs, trials and tribulations of the family is the intertwined subtext associated with their servants who reside in the downstairs or on the grounds of Downton.

Writer/creator Julian Fellows paints a vivid picture of the snobbery, traditional devotion, elitist ways and compromising interpersonal relationships that thematically underscore the show. The plethora of characters aren’t all complex but are superbly drawn with a distinctive role that ebbs and flows with the melodramatic proceedings. This allows them to be likeable at times unlikable at others but always definably pertinent to the show’s shifting axis. There is a bit of a soap opera feel however it never descends to that level of ostentatious envelope pushing. Instead it humanizes them all, exposing their strengths, weaknesses but above all the implicitness found in their devotion to their way of life, one another and their genuine and shared struggle to co-exist amidst the ever changing world around them.

There is much going on this season as the continuing variety of subplots engagingly plays out. The cast is simply marvelous and all equally worthy of praise. Joanne Froggatt was recently recognized with a Golden Globe win but as an ensemble the group is excellent. Those that follow the series should prepare themselves as this season has several noteworthy storylines in store.

Season 5 features returning stars Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery, Elizabeth McGovern, Jim Carter, Laura Carmichael, Joanne Froggatt, Allen Leech, Robert James-Collier, Penelope Wilton, Phyllis Logan, Lily James, Brendan Coyle, Lesley Nicol, Sophie McShera, Samantha Bond, Ed Speleers, Kevin Doyle, Raquel Cassidy, David Robb, Tom Cullen, Julian Ovenden, Daisy Lewis, Douglas Reith, Jeremy Swift, and Andrew Scarborough.

This acclaimed ensemble is joined by guest stars Harriet Walter (“Atonement”), reprising her role as Lady Shackleton, and Peter Egan (“Death at a Funeral”), who returns as Lord Flintshire, together with completely new characters played by Richard E. Grant (“Girls”), Anna Chancellor (“The Hour”), and Rade Sherbedgia (“24”).

Downton Abbey Season Five comes to Blu-ray in this three disc edition with the series 8 episodes and season finale spread over three BD-50 dual layered discs with the bonus content located on Disc 3. We really enjoy the show and at the conclusion of the final episode were both disappointed at the prospect that it was over and that we would have to wait for season six. Season Five is currently airing on PBS here in the U.S. so check your local listings. This set will be available on January 27th for those that don’t want to wait to see what happens.

Parental Guide:

The series contains thematic material and brief sensuality that would be inappropriate for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE= 92-100/EXCELLENT= 83-91/GOOD= 74-82/AVERAGE= 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE= under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA
Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:
Downton Abbey Season Five comes to Blu-ray Disc from PBS featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo sound that has an average bitrate of 1.7 Mbps.

This is a reference quality high definition transfer that looks spectacular. Images are crisp with subtle refinement, resolute sharpness and exquisite dimensional perspective. Contrast is well balanced and dynamic which energizes colors and empowers whites/grays. Blacks are deep and noise free while lacking refining gradational emphasis that occasionally borders on crush. I wouldn’t describe the effects as deleterious but it’s worth mentioning. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveals discerning shapes and structure in backgrounds/objects. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among those within the varied range used. Fleshtones are natural with subtle description and where appropriate warm complexional highlights. I found this to be a pristine high definition video presentation from PBS that easily bests the broadcast version.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio stereo sound is quite good. Dynamics are robust and defining without being strident or edgy. Dialogue is rendered with appreciable tonal expression and excellent room penetration through the center channel speaker. The front soundstage is diffused with notable separation and articulated detail. The series is dialogue driven and as such doesn’t necessarily require use of the surround platform although a broader mix would have been acceptable. Regardless I never felt this presentation was lacking in any way and sounded excellent.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Behind the scenes: Day 100 – 10 minute featurette
  • (HD) The Roaring Twenties – 26 minute featurette
  • (HD) A day with Lady Rose – 7 minute featurette
  • (HD) Visit Britain - Promo
Final Thoughts:

Downton Abbey Season Fiverepresents my third foray into the popular English TV series and I continue to find it to be an engaging and wonderfully written show that might just surprise genre fans that have never bothered to give it a look. For those that never miss it I guarantee that this season has lots to offer including several interesting twists, a few turns and one or two eye openers that reinforce why it is one of top rated shows on the air. Season Five comes to Blu-ray in this three Disc release from PBS Home Entertainment featuring sparkling reference quality high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a light but worthwhile supplemental package that fans will appreciate. My wife and I are hooked and eagerly await Season Six. For those that enjoy Downton Abbey and like to own it on home video this Blu-ray release comes highly recommended. Enjoy!

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package