AVS Forum banner

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

Tags
frontpage
10K views 147 replies 60 participants last post by  Aetherhole 
#1 · (Edited)

Check out our review of the third installment in the popular film series based on the novels by Suzanne Collins. Katniss Everdeen is in District 13 after she shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta and a nation moved by her courage.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 123 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): ] English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS Headphone:X Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Donald Sutherland, Julianne Moore, Mahershala Ali , Stanley Tucci, Jeffrey Wright, Philip Seymour Hoffman
Directed by: Francis Lawrence
Music by: James Newton Howard
Written by: Peter Craig & Danny Strong based on the novel by Suzanne Collins
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 6, 2015

"Fire burns brighter in the darkness"

My Take:

Based on the best-selling third novel of Suzanne Collins’ award-winning trilogy, with a screenplay by Peter Craig (The Town) and Danny Strong (Lee Daniels’ The Butler) and directed by Francis Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire), The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 reveals that the rebellion is growing. Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived and is recovering from the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell deep inside the bunkered catacombs of District 13. Separated from some of her closest allies and fearing for their safety in the Capitol, Katniss finally agrees to be the Mockingjay, the symbolic leader of the rebellion. Still uncertain as to whom she can trust, Katniss must help District 13 rise from the shadows, all the while knowing that President Snow has focused his hatred into a personal vendetta against her—and her loved ones.

The first film based on the The Hunger Games the first in a trilogy of books published by Scholastic which has already become a literary phenomenon with over 36.5 million copies in circulation was very good, knocking it out of the park both in the theater and at home. Set in the future, it told the story of how one male and one female from each of the twelve districts of the nation is forced to participate in the annual competition called The Hunger Games, which is broadcast live throughout the country for the entertainment of the Capitol’s wealthy residents. The primary plot revolves around Katniss Everdeen, who lives in the post-apocalyptic nation of Panem, where the countries of North America once existed. The Capitol, a highly advanced metropolis, holds hegemony over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are purported by the governing body to be a form of tribute in remembrance of the cost of freedom. In reality it is more of a punishment wrapped in a repressive societal sock meant to slap the faces of those that might seek to rise up again.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 picks up where The Hunger Games: Catching fire left off and finds Katniss reeling from the events that closed out the previous film. Now in District 13 and reunited with Gale and her family, Katniss is being touted by the District 13 leadership as the symbol of the rebel cause. Meanwhile Peeta, in the clutches of the Capitol is being used via Capitol state broadcast to try and quell the rebellion via coerced interview with Caesar Flickerman. Initially reluctant to become the “Mockingjay” symbol of inspiration it isn’t long before Katniss accepts after witnessing the brutal devastation inflicted by President Snow’s minions on the innocent populations in the Districts, especially her home of District 12. Using footage of Katniss District 13 rally’s the others under one banner against the Capitol. Not to be outdone President Snow pushes back hard saving Peeta’s life as his ace in the hole. There can be no ultimate victory for Katniss only the hope of redemption.

From a conceptual standpoint The Hunger Games doesn’t break new ground as we have seen this premise in films before. This isn’t necessarily a problem provided that the narrative supports the formulaic base. Luckily there is excellent foundation to be found in the story’s characters specifically the primary heroine Katniss Everdeen. She is well drawn and the type of character that a series like this can be built around. Coming through several iterations of the games she has known loss and learned from bitter experience the hatred that the leadership of the Capitol has for her, her people and the lengths they are willing to go to squash their hopes of liberty. Self-reliance has kept her sharp and capable of handling herself but her personal relationships threaten to decouple her from the true task at hand.

I enjoyed Mockingjay Part 1. I would have preferred a bit less melodrama and more action/adventure especially at this point but there was enough depth to the plot to keep it interesting. As seen primarily from Katniss’ perspective I continue to find the character driven nature of her personal journey of discovery, humanity, and compassion to be the film’s most defining and ultimately rewarding aspect. Jennifer Lawrence continues to excel in the role of Katniss. Her portrayal is edgy, with a quietly cool demeanor that is accentuated by an understated allure that favors the character. The returning members of the core cast, Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Hemsworth, and Donald Sutherland are spot on. I liked the additions of Julianne Moore and Mahershala Ali, and thought that larger contributions of Jeffrey Wright and the late Philip Seymour Hoffman complimented things nicely.

This film is clearly more of a setup/segue into the second narrative part. Quite frankly there is no real reason why the final installment needed to be split into two parts. Regardless the film is well enacted with top notch production elements and a gratifying flow into what is to come.

Mockingjay – Part 1 became the highest-grossing domestic release of 2014 when it reached nearly $333.2 million at the domestic box office yesterday. The last two installments of The Hunger Games franchise (Catching Fire and Mockingjay – Part 1) have become the highest-grossing releases at the domestic box office each of the past two years, the first time in decades that a studio has scored back-to-back #1 films of the year and the first time ever for back-to-back sequels. Mockingjay – Part 1, which opened in China on February 8, has already grossed more than $700 million worldwide, bringing global box office for the franchise to over $2.2 billion.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 is packed with five hours of extensive, must-see bonus materials including the two-hour behind-the-scenes documentary “The Mockingjay Lives: The Making of Mockingjay – Part 1.” Featuring never-before-seen interviews and on-set footage of the cast and crew, the documentary takes an in-depth look at the making of the film including the script adaptation, location scouting, set design – including physically creating the hovercraft – casting the new characters, and bringing District 13 to life.

Additional special features include “Straight from the Heart: A Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman,” deleted scenes, an audio commentary with director Francis Lawrence and producer Nina Jacobson, as well as the “Songs of Rebellion: Lorde on Curating the Soundtrack” featurette, the music video for the Golden Globe®-nominated song “Yellow Flicker Beat” and a brand new sneak peek at The Divergent Series: Insurgent.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense violent thematic material and disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 90

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 6.4 Mbps.

Mockingjay Part 1 looks solid on Blu-ray and features rewarding high definition video quality that exhibits discerning levels of detail, and excellent rendering that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective can vary a bit especially during special effects shots however when it looks good there is an a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. The film teeters back and forth between reserved/cooler color schemes and bolder, vivid tonality that represent the storylines accompanying themes. Where appropriate, colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and empowers whites without washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel surround mix is equally impressive and sounds great. The soundtrack runs the gamut between subtle passages of spoken dialogue and soft music to dynamically charged sequences that deliver involving surround sound. Dialogue rendering is terrific as it holds sway over the front soundstage. Detail is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. Dynamic range is noteworthy as the active elements within the surround mix resound with superior authority and deep bass transients. Examples of this can be found in the District 8 aerial attack and District 13 bombing sequences.

James Newton Howard’s music score is carefully integrated into the sound design and is wonderfully detailed, acoustically transparent and three dimensional. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciable. From the gentle sounds of singing birds in the distance or reverberant distant echoes to the familiar and enveloping effects of hovering ships, sounds are seamlessly blended to create a stable and detail rich sound field. This is an impressive audio/video presentation that makes for a great home theater experience.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics and discrete effects. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. At about the 00:11:00 minute mark a hover craft drops Katniss and company off and departs. The effects is quite cool as the aircraft ascends and flies off screen to the left fading from overhead toward the left. Shortly before that they enter an elevator and descend toward an underground habitat. The various creaks and rumbles as heard from within the enclosed space were quite realistic. If you listen carefully during the scene near the river, you’ll hear the Mockingjay that lands near the group, take off and fly over your left shoulder. Everything really comes together during the third act beginning in Chapter 11 and into chapter 12 as the Capitol conducts a bombing run on the underground Habitat/bunker. This sequence places you inside the action as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. While this isn’t what I would regard as an aggressive Atmos mix I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and integration of discrete object placement. I think that it complimented the source material and made for an entertaining listening experience.

Bonus Features:
  • “The Mockingjay Lives: The Making of Mockingjay – Part 1”: 8-part feature-length documentary
  • “Straight From the Heart: A Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman” featurette
  • “Songs of Rebellion: Lorde on Curating the Soundtrack” featurette
  • “Yellow Flicker Beat” – Lorde music video
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Audio Commentary with Director Francis Lawrence and Producer Nina Jacobson
  • Sneak Peek of The Divergent Series: Insurgent
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the best-selling book series from writer Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, is a formulaic, well executed multi-genre film that benefits from solid casting/performances and excellent production elements. It makes its debut on Blu-ray in superb fashion and features top notch audio/video quality along with a gratifying assortment of bonus material that looks behind the scenes at the making of the film while providing insights from the cast and crew. As with its predecessors I found The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 to be an enjoyable film experience and look forward to the final installment in the series. If you’re a fan this Blu-ray offering from Lionsgate Home Entertainment is highly recommended. For those that might be on the fence give it a rent prior to purchase.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 21
#2 ·
Looking forward to it! Nice review!
A bit worried about a 4/5 on bass. This type of blockbuster you'd think they make that bass grack hot and overwhelming!!

#3 ·
I had pre-ordered this from Amazon. It should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I'm sure we'll watch it over the weekend. :)

#4 ·
Glad to see your still reviewing the 7.1 tracks for the rest of us as well as the atmos version. I'll make the jump eventually, hopefully a 7.2.2 system is in the cards for me. But I'll wait until DTS:X is out and receivers aren't over the top money wise.

Nice review Ralph.

#26 ·
Same here, best buy is 5 minutes from my house so Ill picked it up after work. Im excited for the 2nd one to see how they visual the traps in the capital. Reading the books I got the impression there was a certain innocence in how things were made in the capital, like I mean I felt it was written in a 1940s or 1950s frame of mind with how the traps were, before we had the technology now. Basically trying to compare sci fi from decades ago to scifi now. I know the movies dont give that feeling, but I am interested in how they do it anyway.

Crappy thing is after the final movie is it, they will release a super box limited edition box set

#15 ·
Looking forward to seeing this one! Thanks Ralph.

#16 ·
Easily the worst entry of the series, much like Harry Potter DH part 1. It's just a set up for the grand finale.
Wait, what? That was actually my favourite of all the films. The acting was phenomenal and the drama and tension between the three main characters carried the film without the need for overcooked action. Different strokes, I guess.

#29 ·
I'm not talking about action, I'm talking about pacing and carrying forward the story. Because of the melodrama the story just came to a crawl. The same thing happened here.There really wasn't any reason to create two films for both franchises, not from the storytelling POV.But yeah different strokes indeed.;)

#20 ·
We really enjoyed this one. Jennifer Lawrence's singing "The Hanging Tree" and the way in which the song was expanded out with orchestration and a chorus into a full blown anthem for the rebels was very well done. This episode seemed to follow number two in it's increased focus on character development and a bit less on pure action . Lawrence remains the shining star of the piece and, to us, can do no wrong as Katniss. It was good to see the late and great Phillip Seymour Hoffman one more time. Since we have the first two films on BR, we'll add this to the collection and then wait for the finale to come out.

#137 ·
We really enjoyed this one. Jennifer Lawrence's singing "The Hanging Tree" and the way in which the song was expanded out with orchestration and a chorus into a full blown anthem for the rebels was very well done.
This is the scene my wife and I couldn't stop talking about. That scene(and the one where they climb the trees to ambush) make the film. So well done.

Brent

#22 ·
If you enjoy good audio, don't rent it. You have to buy it. Lionsgate, to the frustration of many, only includes a DD soundtrack on rentals that are 7.1. There is a very significant difference between the 5.1 DD soundtrack and the 7.1 TrueHD or DTS-MA soundtracks on the earlier movies in the series.

#35 · (Edited)
I would like to add to this comment. I have been seeing pictures of this BD from Walmart and noticed the Dolby Atmos isn't on the slipcover. But from other retailers the Dolby Atmos is on the slip, so it seems like Walmart is selling the lossy/rental audio of this movie. I just wanted to fyi guys because I would be kinda ticked if I bought that version.

I included a picture I found off of Blu-Ray.com showing the back of the BD movie. The right image is the one with Dolby Atmos included.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

#23 ·
Thanks Ralph I always enjoy your rewiews I will be getting my copy Friday look forward to seeing and hearing it.

#75 ·
Everyone has their own selection criteria.

Apparently I'm a nimrod!!

I loved both movies (and Ralph's review). But, then again, I'm easily entertained. There is no one any more taken by high action flicks with bombs, fights, car chases/crashes and a great story line (or sometimes by a less than great story line). But I also love a great story that keeps my attention OR is just plane fun with less than a great story line (e.g. Sweet Home Alabama.) Bu then again, I live in the south and my wife is from Alabama!!

In all of my years of watching film (started in the 50's) I have maybe seen a dozen or that I found just pure unadulterated garbage. And the majority of those were given great kudos by the traditional Hollywood reviewer types who seem to give the highest marks, in many cases, to those films that most further their agenda. Siskel and Ebert were my favorites and even they didn't always agree.

All that to say I suspect there will be as many who agree with Mr Morbid Corpse as those who don't.

Thanks Ralph for the good work you do.

#34 ·
Greetings,

Yes it does. I added that to the review.

I just bought the blu ray of this...haven't gotten home yet to check it out butnon the back it says dts ma 7.1....this seems to contradict other information on the packaging and it isn't mentioned here.

does is have dts ma or just the 7.1 dolby true hd 'core' of the atmos sound.
Dolby TrueHD Atmos Mix which includes the 7.1 TrueHD Core.

Regards,

#32 ·
The Australian release seems to have a few additional features but are for a limited time only. (At least at JB-HiFi where I got my copy). The additional featurettes are as follows:

Rubble and Ashes (9:11) Looks at the construction of the sets for District 13.

Utilitarian Chec (6:21) Explores the costuming and make up within District 13.

The Propos Team (11:55) Looks at the costumes and motivations of the Propos Team that film Katniss as she visits the other Districts.

The Combat Zone (11:46) Looks at some of the special effects etc of the battles in the film.

Overall whilst none of these are really of critical importance it was nice the have them. I would image that some US retailers might have them as a store exclusive and if so I'd recommended hunting them down if you're a fan of the series.

Cheers
Fizman01.

#33 ·
I just bought the blu ray of this...haven't gotten home yet to check it out butnon the back it says dts ma 7.1....this seems to contradict other information on the packaging and it isn't mentioned here.

does is have dts ma or just the 7.1 dolby true hd 'core' of the atmos sound.

#43 ·
Great review (as usual) Ralph. I'll be buying this tomorrow as I really did enjoy the second installment of this series. And I agree with you that the final installment doesn't need to be split over 2 films but you know if there's an opportunity for more money...Hollywood will take it.

Reactions: Ralph Potts
#44 · (Edited)
Wait until Part 2 comes out and buy the combined Pack. Then there's no wait between Part 1 and 2.
Why I love buying the Total Series after the show is no longer on TV. (And buy cheaper during an `Amazon Special of the Day'.)
#1 - NO COMMERCIALS! #2 - `To Be Continued' is no issue, just pop in the next disc.

#47 ·
Well we have redbox and I was going to rent this Saturday 3/7...then saw "Lionsgate Home Entertainment " in Ralph's review and you posted my thoughts exactly....except I cancelled my netflix disc subscription years ago...hopefully this is 1 Lionsgate that is lossless

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...ter-audio-dd-5-1-instead-36.html#post32316113
If memory serves, and we're talking about Lions Gate, they release to NF / RB on the same day as retail .. there is no delayed release, IOW .. that's one of the concessions in trade for no Master audio .. and all Lions Gate NF / RB BD's are not stripped audio ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.