AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Review Database - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #151 of 155 Unread 07-10-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5021 Post(s)
Liked: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I'm running 7.1 LPCM over HDMI (to avoid ever having to deal with dropouts from disk-authoring issues) from my Oppo BDP-93 into my Yamaha RX-A1030.
1. I assume that on 5.1 disks the Oppo is duplicating the side signals on the back channels. (In my Oppo's setup, the "Downmix" mode is set to 7.1.)

2. Would changing the sound mode on the Yamaha from "Straight" to DTS Neo:6 or Dolby Pro LogicIIx invoke rear surround derivation even with the player set to send LPCM? Would I need to tell the Oppo not to send 7.1 but only 5.1? I don't want to have to manually go in to Setup on both machines to switch things back and forth - particularly since having the rears simply duplicate the sides is fine with me on 5.1 films.
1.Your Oppo BR player "Downmix" feature selection is ONLY for its multichannel ANALOG output, not for he digital HDMI out...that, it's the domain of your Yamaha receiver...from the audio mode you select in your receiver.

2. And yes, it would. It don't matter what you select in your Oppo between 5.1 and 7.1.
* If a Blu-ray is encoded with a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio soundtrack your Yamaha will decode it as is.
If it is a 5.1-channel audio soundtrack, simply select Dolby PLIIx or DTS Neo:6 ... to have those two additional back surround speakers activated.

► And simply set (select) the HDMI Audio Out of your Oppo BR player menu to "Bitstream".
Your Yamaha receiver is doing all the decoding from what your BR player send to it as it is encoded on the disc.
If you select LPCM in your Oppo, then your Oppo is doing the decoding internally, and your Yamaha is reproducing it....but in your case there is no need to select LPCM. It is more for legacy receivers without Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sound decoders, and the odd problematic Blu-ray disc improperly encoded by some studios (very rare).

But if you prefer LPCM it's fine too; just use your Yamaha receiver's audio modes (Listening Mode) with 5.1 audio soundtracks ... DPLIIx or dts Neo:6 on top of multichannel PCM.

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-10-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 155 Unread Yesterday, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
1.Your Oppo BR player "Downmix" feature selection is ONLY for its multichannel ANALOG output, not for he digital HDMI out...that, it's the domain of your Yamaha receiver...from the audio mode you select in your receiver.

2. And yes, it would. It don't matter what you select in your Oppo between 5.1 and 7.1.
* If a Blu-ray is encoded with a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio soundtrack your Yamaha will decode it as is.
If it is a 5.1-channel audio soundtrack, simply select Dolby PLIIx or DTS Neo:6 ... to have those two additional back surround speakers activated.

► And simply set (select) the HDMI Audio Out of your Oppo BR player menu to "Bitstream".
Your Yamaha receiver is doing all the decoding from what your BR player send to it as it is encoded on the disc.
If you select LPCM in your Oppo, then your Oppo is doing the decoding internally, and your Yamaha is reproducing it....but in your case there is no need to select LPCM. It is more for legacy receivers without Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sound decoders, and the odd problematic Blu-ray disc improperly encoded by some studios (very rare).

But if you prefer LPCM it's fine too; just use your Yamaha receiver's audio modes (Listening Mode) with 5.1 audio soundtracks ... DPLIIx or dts Neo:6 on top of multichannel PCM.
With LPCM selected in my Oppo, and with its downmix setting at "7.1", 5.1 disks automatically play the side surround signals out the rears as well with the AVR set to "Straight" (no PLIIx or Neo:6 matrix decoding).

With Bitstream selected in the Oppo, the rears are silent on a 5.1 disk unless I activate PLIIx or Neo:6 matrix decoding. As soon as I play a 7.1 disk. the AVR reverts to "Straight" - and stays there even when I play a 5.1 disk until I once again manually select surround decoding.

Bitstream thus requires more work just to keep the rears playing. And in any case I'm not a fan of DSP soundfield generation, which tends to sound false to me - just like artificial 3D - which is what's used in most films - looks like animated "pop-up books" to me. If it was shot with one lens, show it in 2D.

At least having the rears play the same thing as the sides on 5.1 disks mimics what I would hear in a movie theater, with pairs of surround speakers - all playing the same thing - arrayed down the side walls.

I'll stick with LPCM and my 7.1 downmix setting.

post #153 of 155 Unread Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
I see; it works for the HDMI Audio Out too...LPCM down-mixed to 7.1 channels. >>> I am going to try that too, and see if it sounds as good or even better than Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

Thanks.
post #154 of 155 Unread Today, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I see; it works for the HDMI Audio Out too...LPCM down-mixed to 7.1 channels. >>> I am going to try that too, and see if it sounds as good or even better than Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

Thanks.
Ok, time for me to backtrack. I just went down to my theater to verify that I had set my multichannel speaker setup to 7.1 downmix and found it set to 5.1 - and my rears were silent. So much for my theory.

I found that the only way to get surround sound from the rears on 5.1 material is inside my AVR, as you had said. It's a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 (two models back - which I just got new from Amazon, almost half price because of that fact).

Go to Sound Program, Surround Decode, press the up arrow to configure it, and while on the line for surround decoder press the Options button on the remote. This brings up a new menu, one of the entries being Extended Surround. Click on that and change it from Off to PLIIx Movie. This applies to all inputs.

Then, to keep pressing the Blu-ray Scene shortcut button from defeating that, go to that Scene, press up to configure it, and then click Save. Once you've saved it, it won't defeat the surround decoding.

Now, even in Bitstream, putting in a 5.1 or 7.1 disk will give you sound out of the rears, and it automatically shifts between the two modes.

I may have heard slightly better sound from Bitstream than from LPCM in switching back and forth, but there were so many steps in between. and there's expectation bias, so I'm not sure.

It makes sense to me to leave the audio in its original format as long as possible, so I'm now leaving the Oppo set to Bitstream except when and if a disk has authoring problems, in which case I'll switch to LPCM output.

post #155 of 155 Unread Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Reply Official AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Hustler Blu Ray Book , The Adventures Of Tintin Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition , 3d Hdtv , The Green Hornet Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd , John Carter Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , National Lampoons Animal House Blu Ray , Battle Royale The Complete Collection Blu Ray , The Big Lebowski Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Tora Tora Tora Blu Ray Book
Gear in this thread - National by PriceGrabber.com