What Happens In Vegas (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-15-2008, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
attachment.php?attachmentid=116040&d=1216991315
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 101 Minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Korean, Cantonese, Mandarin
Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Cameron Diaz, Rob Corddry, Treat Williams
Directed by: Tom Vaughn
Music by: Christopher Beck
Written by: Dana Fox
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 26, 2008

"It's a battle of the sexes and their playing dirty"

Film Synopsis:

After the wildest party night of their lives, two mismatched strangers, Jack (Ashton Kutcher) and Joy (Cameron Diaz), wake up in Vegas to discover they not only got lucky -- they got married! The road to annulment takes a hilarious turn after Jack wins a three million dollar jackpot while playing Joy's quarter and a no-nonsense judge (Dennis Miller) sentences them to six months "hard marriage." What follows is an all-out war of the sexes as Jack and Joy go to outrageous lengths to try and cheat each other out of the money. But in the end, they may just learn that when you gamble on love, you win against all odds.

My Take:

I don't mind romantic comedies as long as they have likeable characters and are indeed funny. There are literally dozens of films that use a theme similar to that of What happens in Vegas. The unlikely couple, the battle for money, the one upping back and forth, the one event that causes a rift just after the two begin to realize what they mean to one another, and then the ending (we all know what happens next). It was pretty easy to see what is coming right from the beginning but I don't necessarily have a problem with that provided that there are some laughs along the way. For me it is important that the main characters be likeable and that there be some onscreen chemistry between the two actors who are carrying the ball. In this case I didn't sense that Diaz and Kutcher gelled and their performances together felt forced. I liked the two supporting players in Bell and Corddry and thought that they helped to make the film a more entertaining experience. There are some outrageous moments and clever dialogue that help to propel the story along. Unfortunately this is not a memorable movie among the many others in its genre that do a better job.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some sexual and crude content, language, and a drug reference.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 70

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

What happens in Vegas comes to Blu-ray Disc featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

The quality of the video was disappointing. High contrast levels resulted in distorted and blown out whites that lacked detail. The color palette contained lots of bright hues and various shades that had an exaggerated look which made them unnatural. Greens were too yellow and neon looking and primaries were too hot. Flesh tones looked orangey and burnt (especially Diaz and Farina) and gave the appearance of an over abundance of sun exposure. Blacks were plenty deep but crushed and shadow detail was just average. Resolution was adequate however fine detail within the image was inconsistent which resulted in some scenes appearing flat and lacking in visible surface structure. Close ups didn't have the definitive texture and nuance that is usually present in quality high definition video. Dimensional perspective in distant and panning shots was very good at times and just average at others.

The audio presentation was good as it delivered the elements present in the soundtrack very well. Dialogue was rendered wit h aplomb and sound excellent throughout. Dynamics were potent enough to give the music and busier scenes plenty of depth and punch. Surround sound use was not constant but was certainly apropos and at times engaging. One such example occurs at 9:20 in the end of chapter four when both Joy and Jack separately realize that they are going to Vegas to forget their troubles. There is a really cool surround effect that passes through the room going from left to right, then around the back and bounces back and forth between the surrounds. Low bass comes in the form of the pulse pounding beat of the film's music and it sounds great.

Bonus Features:

The bonus supplements don't really dive into the production side of the film at all. The audio commentary touches on it a bit as does the DVD Extra Time piece. The remainder consists of more fluff than anything else. Ashton and Cameron fans will appreciate the Sitting down with them segment but it is strange and disjointed in my opinion. The deleted and extended scenes ended where they belonged and the Rob Corddry Law Firm of Stephen J. Hader was sort of bizarre. Fox has included a standard definition Digital Copy Disc which will the film to be downloaded to a portable playback device from a PC or MAC. I was happy to see that the bonus features were all in high definition (Woo Hoo!)

• Audio commentary track with Director Tom Vaughn and Editor Matt Friedman

• Bottoms up!: Interactive drinking game that is played during the film.

• (HD) Gag reel

• (HD) 6 Deleted/Extended scenes

• (HD) From the Law Firm of Stephan J. Hader Esq. - Spoof featuring Rob Corddry

• (HD) DVD Extra Time with Zack Galifiankis: Featuring Director Tom Vaughn

• (HD) Sitting down with Ashton & Cameron

• (HD) Fox's Inside Look at upcoming projects: Marley & Me

• SD Digital Copy bonus disc

Final Thoughts:

What happens in Vegas is a run of the mill romantic comedy that is not a stand out in its genre but is somewhat entertaining none the less. The stars didn't have great onscreen chemistry which made their characters less likeable. The co-stars were the ones that provided the film's entertainment. I enjoyed the DTS-HD Master Audio lossless sound quality and thought that the video presentation could have been better. The bonus features were more fluff than substance but I suspect that fans of the film will be happy with them. I would recommend this one as a rental only.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Ralph!
I won't even bother with a so so movie like this one that gets such a low rate in the video area! Thanks for saving me the time!
I saw P.S. I Love You with my wife last night and what a great movie. Since it was only the second movie Bluray we saw, i still don't know how to rate its video! I got the first Narnia, which you gave a high rate on video, i will watch it this weekend!
post #3 of 16 Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

WetLight, you're in for a visual treat w/Narnia compared to P.S. I Love You. Enjoy!
post #4 of 16 Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
That is a very low score for video. Its amazing how a new movie with the technology they have today can get a video score of a 70. FOX could have gave a better effort toward this film if there is this many problems with it. Its unacceptable in many ways. There are older films that came out in the 80's that tend to look better than some of the movies that were just filmed within the past 1 or 2 years.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-16-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny75 View Post

WetLight, you're in for a visual treat w/Narnia compared to P.S. I Love You. Enjoy!

Thanks, i am looking forward to seeing it!!
Now, we saw 27 Dresses last night and the video looked so poor, i thought it was a bad transfer. The movie was okay overall!
post #6 of 16 Old 08-24-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Ralph,

How in the world do you give this a 70 for video and a 78 to one of the worst ever blu releases Gangs of New York? I'm viewing on a 45"x108" screen from a 10' viewing distance and Vegas looks filmlike where as GONY looks like garbage with it's horrific EE. No EE on Vegas alone makes it a much better transfer than Gangs. I mostly agree with your pq reviews but on this one I have to agree with Kris Deering who gave it a 4/5 for video.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #7 of 16 Old 08-24-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Ralph,

How in the world do you give this a 70 for video and a 78 to one of the worst ever blu releases Gangs of New York? I'm viewing on a 45"x108" screen from a 10' viewing distance and Vegas looks filmlike where as GONY looks like garbage with it's horrific EE. No EE on Vegas alone makes it a much better transfer than Gangs. I mostly agree with your pq reviews but on this one I have to agree with Kris Deering who gave it a 4/5 for video.

Greetings,

Tom, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Gangs has nothing to do with this so I won't address that..

I am glad that you were happy with the picture quality though.

Best,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 16 Old 08-24-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What is the purpose of your scoring system if this score has nothing to do with the rating you gave Gangs? Why even have a scoring system then in the first place.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #9 of 16 Old 08-24-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

What is the purpose of your scoring system if this score has nothing to do with the rating you gave Gangs? Why even have a scoring system then in the first place.

Greetings,

Tom, I didn't say the score had nothing to do with it. I meant that they are two different films...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 16 Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The color palette contained lots of bright hues and various shades that had an exaggerated look which made them unnatural. Greens were too yellow and neon looking and primaries were too hot. Flesh tones looked orangey and burnt (especially Diaz and Farina) and gave the appearance of an over abundance of sun exposure

Is this a result of the source or your display? The RS1 is known to have these issues.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffY View Post

Is this a result of the source or your display? The RS1 is known to have these issues.

Greetings,

This is not related to the projector. Thanks for the inquiry though Jeff..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #12 of 16 Old 09-16-2008, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

This is not related to the projector. Thanks for the inquiry though Jeff..

Regards,

OK, I couldn't see anything in your hardware list that can do the necessary colour correction for the RS1. How do you know if the source is an issue without an accurate display?
post #13 of 16 Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffY View Post

OK, I couldn't see anything in your hardware list that can do the necessary colour correction for the RS1. How do you know if the source is an issue without an accurate display?

Greetings,

Jeff, the colors on my RS1x are not exaggerated to this point and I am familiar with what colors should look like on a properly calibrated display. Run against the multitude of discs that I look at each week this stood out. I also ran scenes from this disc on my calibrated Sharp 1080p LCD and saw the same thing.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no wonder my first BR movie was disappointing.

this was the first one I got from netflix for my first experience, not a good one.

Transformers is next.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 AM

Liked: 12
I actually enjoyed this movie in the theater. Then again I watched it in the middle of the week and I was the only one in the theater. So maybe I enjoyed the fact that I had the theater to myself rather than sitting with 50 or 60 other people. I guess I will add this one to the netflix account and see if I still have the same fondness for the movie.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-24-2009, 05:24 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 613
I loved this film, I thought it was really good.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page