Iron Man (Blu-ray) Ultimate Edition Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@the Kahuna, have you actually watched the blu ray in its entirety? The roadside attack is at the very beginning of the film, not after they show off the Jericho. They show the attack and when tony gets blown up, it cuts to the magazine award ceremony and sets up how he got there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

@ndabunka: I might agree if there was wasted space, but they maximized the audio and video as well as including a number of HD special features. And while I can sympathize with upgrading to the newest gadgets, you could have bought a blu-ray player with analog out if you didn t want to buy a new receiver.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

I can't be the only one wary of this title and it's solitary use of True HD as the ONLY english output format, can I? There are a LOT of us with systems that are not capable of decoding "this latest (and supposedly greatest?) version" of the surround sound experience? I do see that others are getting only 2-channel sound through their receivers. I pretty much expect this would occur in mine as well and therefore I am VERY cautious about this product. Blu Ray has PLENTY of space for multiple audio channels, why did they not include them so that the majority of the public can have a better experience. I have an older Yamaha Rx-v2400 receiver (no HDMI) and have ABSOLUTELY no plans to upgrade at this time. I guess I'll either have to pass on this one or simply settle for the standard non-BlewRay version.

ndabunka, I'm with you on this. I was so excited to watch Iron Man in BR on my PS3 that I bought it the first day it came out. I just got a chance to watch it tonight and to my dismay I am forced to listen to it in Dolby Pro Logic

Even my wife noticed how bad the sound is compared to Dolby Digital. I have FIOS and almost every HD channel is in Dolby Digital, other BR movies I have watched are in DD, why would they not include it on Iron Man????

They have French in DD if you want to watch that

I'm livid about this - my Onkyo is cranked up and the sound is terrible. I have it on 60 now when usually I watch BR movies on 45.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post

ndabunka, I'm with you on this. I was so excited to watch Iron Man in BR on my PS3 that I bought it the first day it came out. I just got a chance to watch it tonight and to my dismay I am forced to listen to it in Dolby Pro Logic

Even my wife noticed how bad the sound is compared to Dolby Digital. I have FIOS and almost every HD channel is in Dolby Digital, other BR movies I have watched are in DD, why would they not include it on Iron Man????

They have French in DD if you want to watch that

I'm livid about this - my Onkyo is cranked up and the sound is terrible. I have it on 60 now when usually I watch BR movies on 45.

Greetings,

Gentlemen, the Dolby Digital 5.1 lossy core is imbedded in the TrueHD data stream. For those with receivers/processors not capable of decoding the the True HD signal they will still get the english Dolby Digital 5.1 track. I verifired this during my evaluation by connecting an optical digital cable from my player to my processor.

As far as the PS3 goes it internally decodes Dolby TrueHD. You WILL need to go into the BD settings and turn OFF the Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) function. Be default the PS3 sets it to AUTO.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Ralph
Another winner, I received disc from Amazon yesterday and watched immediately and again was mind-boggled. The intricacy of the suit install etc was as you said.
Good Job Ralph

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:00 AM

It would seem I'm a bit of an ass and I apologize for wasting every ones time and thread space. I am right now punching myself in the face. The scene is right in the beginning of the disc and I am an idiot,
Old 10-05-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Even without the DRC issues, I still found the soundtrack a bit low in overall output... I'd say by about 5 db... Usually, I watch films at -3 from reference, but was closer to +2 on this one. FilmMixer did comment that the Dialnorm was about 4 db off off typical (which is the likely explanation for the lower output levels).

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Even without the DRC issues, I still found the soundtrack a bit low in overall output... I'd say by about 5 db... Usually, I watch films at -3 from reference, but was closer to +2 on this one. FilmMixer did comment that the Dialnorm was about 4 db off off typical (which is the likely explanation for the lower output levels).

Greetings,

Yes I noticed this as well but adjusting the volume brought things in line. I have noticed this with other discs as well but don't see it as a negative.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

I have to say that I didn't feel it deserves such a high picture quality rating. I felt the image was a little too soft in some scenes, and in particular, one camera shot on the balcony was clearly out of focus!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:

I usualy watch at -4 or -5 from ref and was at -2 for this one. No biggie though, just need to up the volume a few notches and all is good. Fantastic audio track.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM

As we know, the wider the dynamic range, the higher a person will have to set the gain in order to get the kind of midrange volume we expect. Since most movies have different dynamic ranges (with the range for "Iron Man" being very wide, indeed), a person needs to adjust the volume setting on a per-movie basis.

I do notice, though, that there is a 4-5 db difference between letting my Panasonic BD50 decode the TrueHD and letting my Onkyo 705 decode it (with the Panny producing the lower output of the two). Since I don't want to deal with the issue of the "Night Listening" DNR again, I'm letting the player do the decoding (and, thus, bypassing the "Night Listening" mode altogether). Consequently, I live with the Panny's lower audio output (although I also use the Onkyo's "IntelliVolume" setting to adjust the audio inputs from various components to about the same volume).

John
Old 10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Yes I noticed this as well but adjusting the volume brought things in line. I have noticed this with other discs as well but don't see it as a negative.

Regards,

Ralph, I have posted earleir that I disagreed with your audio assessment on this particular disc (I was less enthusiastic about the overall AQ)... But let me also say that among all the on-line reviewers, I hold your reviews in the highest regard.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 10-05-2008, 10:46 AM

I have to agree. That audio was okay, but I guess I was expecting more. I was thinking this would be atleast on par with Transformers.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Greetings,

Gentlemen, the Dolby Digital 5.1 lossy core is imbedded in the TrueHD data stream. For those with receivers/processors not capable of decoding the the True HD signal they will still get the english Dolby Digital 5.1 track. I verifired this during my evaluation by connecting an optical digital cable from my player to my processor.

As far as the PS3 goes it internally decodes Dolby TrueHD. You WILL need to go into the BD settings and turn OFF the Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) function. Be default the PS3 sets it to AUTO.

Cheers,

Ralph,

Thanks for that info. I have an older (non HDMI) Onkyo so I did not think that the DRC would be a factor. I did not occur to me that the PS3 was decoding it.

When my Onkyo pics up DD it indicates it by a DD indicator. Will turning off the PS3s automatic decoding stream it in such a way that it will recognize it? From reading this thread it does not seem that it would. And if it doesn't, how can it be DD?

I'm studing for my first MBA test now so I will give this a try later.

Thanks for the information!
Old 10-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby View Post

@ndabunka: I might agree if there was wasted space, but they maximized the audio and video as well as including a number of HD special features. And while I can sympathize with upgrading to the newest gadgets, you could have bought a blu-ray player with analog out if you didn t want to buy a new receiver.

Ah, I DO have a Bly Ray with analog out. In fact, it is a HTPC with S/PDIF but what I am reading is that unless I have TrueHD support, I will get only 2-channel output from the Blu Ray version of the Movie. 2-channel is NOT acceptable. Are you trying to say that my standard analog outputs to my 7.1 receiver will work like other analog outs do (i.e. includes the 5.1 sound track)? Other post in here indicate that is not what they experienced. Note I have not yet bought this DVD yet but had been (until this review) planning too. Just wanting to make certain that I can get (at least) the same audio out of the blu ray version as I would get out of the 'non-Blu Ray" version. I understand the others in this thread who may have had 2-channel audio issues may have something wrong with their system rather than any problem with the DVD itself so I will give it a try.

Luckily, I do understand french but unfortunately it's not my native language so my listening mode would be significantly delayed..hear it...process it..starts to translate and by then they will be two scenes away (LOL)....

From time to time, the Gene Pool could use a little chlorine ...
Old 10-05-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Ralph, I have posted earleir that I disagreed with your audio assessment on this particular disc (I was less enthusiastic about the overall AQ)... But let me also say that among all the on-line reviewers, I hold your reviews in the highest regard.

Greetings,

Thanks very much. I have no problem with differing opinions and always enjoy your posts.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I watched this movie tonight and it is very similar to what I saw in theaters a couple of months ago.. The video is quite good but there is something missing that doesn't make it reference... In some areas is grainy and it other is very sharp....I agree that the overall sound level is in the low side... What I found sometimes distracting was the dialogue reproduction.. sometimes it was low relative to the rest of the mix... Other than that the lfe is quite impresive...It is a fun movie to have in my collection

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in ceiling speakers, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Marantz AV8802, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23), Oppo BDP 103D, PS Audio Power Plant Premier
HT-Being re-designed and re-built.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J. Puccio View Post

As we know, the wider the dynamic range, the higher a person will have to set the gain in order to get the kind of midrange volume we expect. Since most movies have different dynamic ranges (with the range for "Iron Man" being very wide, indeed), a person needs to adjust the volume setting on a per-movie basis.

I do notice, though, that there is a 4-5 db difference between letting my Panasonic BD50 decode the TrueHD and letting my Onkyo 705 decode it (with the Panny producing the lower output of the two). Since I don't want to deal with the issue of the "Night Listening" DNR again, I'm letting the player do the decoding (and, thus, bypassing the "Night Listening" mode altogether). Consequently, I live with the Panny's lower audio output (although I also use the Onkyo's "IntelliVolume" setting to adjust the audio inputs from various components to about the same volume).

John

I am sure you know this, but just make sure DRC is turned off in your Panny as well if you will be doing the decoding there as it can have an affect there as well.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks, Toe. Yes, checking the dynamic-range setting in the Panny was the first thing I did when I noticed the problem, although the first day I wrote about the audio issue in my review, I was perplexed about its cause. It was the next day that David Vaughn and Eddie Feng, two other reviewers, e-mailed me suggesting the problem might be in the Onkyo. Then Ralph confirmed it as well.

And I checked the Panny's dynamic-range setting again after adjusting its output to decode both TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. (The DTS MA 7.1 was also giving the Onkyo fits from a couple of New Line discs, causing a small pop after every return from "Pause." Letting the Panny decode the 7.1 solved that problem, too. Seems the Onkyos have several of these minor glitches, at least the early 605s, 705s, 805s, etc.)

John
Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks, Toe. Yes, checking the dynamic-range setting in the Panny was the first thing I did when I noticed the problem, although the first day I wrote about the audio issue in my review, I was perplexed about its cause. It was the next day that David Vaughn and Eddie Feng, two other reviewers, e-mailed me suggesting the problem might be in the Onkyo. Then Ralph confirmed it as well.

And I checked the Panny's dynamic-range setting again after adjusting its output to decode both TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. (The DTS MA 7.1 was also giving the Onkyo fits from a couple of New Line discs, causing a small pop after every return from "Pause." Letting the Panny decode the 7.1 solved that problem, too. Seems the Onkyos have several of these minor glitches, at least the early 605s, 705s, 805s, etc.)

John

Actually the problem with Iron Man is the encoding/flagging on the disc related to dynamic range compression. It shouldnt turn it to "on" -- but it does. I don't think the problem there is with the Onkyo.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Greetings,

Cheers,

Thanks for the information, Ralph. Unfortunately, I watched the movie before I read your review, and I was disappointed with the audio. I knew something wasn't right, so I came here looking for an explanation. The PS3 has so many settings, like every other Blu-ray player I suppose, and I learn something new each day. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:36 PM

Caesar,

You're right, of course. The problem is the disc is probably encoded improperly (although the Paramount transfer engineers have not acknowledged this). But as I see it, it's also a problem with the Onkyo's not defaulting the Night-Listening mode to "Off" instead of "Automatic." The receiver is just asking for trouble.

John
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:

The receiver is just asking for trouble.

John

You can say that again John!

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookhouseboy View Post

Thanks for the information, Ralph. Unfortunately, I watched the movie before I read your review, and I was disappointed with the audio. I knew something wasn't right, so I came here looking for an explanation. The PS3 has so many settings, like every other Blu-ray player I suppose, and I learn something new each day. Thanks.

Greetings,

Your more than welcome. Now watch it again..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-09-2008, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Caesar,

You're right, of course. The problem is the disc is probably encoded improperly (although the Paramount transfer engineers have not acknowledged this). But as I see it, it's also a problem with the Onkyo's not defaulting the Night-Listening mode to "Off" instead of "Automatic." The receiver is just asking for trouble.

John

I'm not sure, but I think the default of "auto" is based on a dolby true HD standard/specs. However, once turned to "off" manually, perhaps it should stay that way -- regardless of the dolby specs.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I'm not sure, but I think the default of "auto" is based on a dolby true HD standard/specs. However, once turned to "off" manually, perhaps it should stay that way -- regardless of the dolby specs.

Greetings,

That is the crux of the matter with the Onkyos. Once the option is turned off it should remain that way unless changed manually. Technically there is an "issue" with how the disc was authored because it is flagged in shuch a way that it is tripping the DRC function and applying it when it really shouldn't be.

The decison to have the DRC setting at Auto by default was something that was added to the TrueHD specification. The need for it to be set that way seems unnecessary in my opinion.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 AM

If the TrueHD spec requires the dynamic-range mode be set to "Auto," shouldn't this apply to all new receivers that use dynamic-range compression, not just Onkyos and Denons? And since it would not make any sense (nor probably possible) for a receiver to remain "Off" for a particular disc once the user turned it off, wouldn't that mean that ALL new receivers with dynamic-range compression options would necessarily reset themselves to "Auto" with each start-up and be tripped every time by the "Iron Man" BD?

So, is this issue more widespread than I imagine? (Unless the players are doing the decoding.)

John
Old 10-10-2008, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

If the TrueHD spec requires the dynamic-range mode be set to "Auto," shouldn't this apply to all new receivers that use dynamic-range compression, not just Onkyos and Denons? And since it would not make any sense (nor probably possible) for a receiver to remain "Off" for a particular disc once the user turned it off, wouldn't that mean that ALL new receivers with dynamic-range compression options would necessarily reset themselves to "Auto" with each start-up and be tripped every time by the "Iron Man" BD?

So, is this issue more widespread than I imagine? (Unless the players are doing the decoding.)

John

Greetings,

John, as far as I know it does apply to all receivers that internally decode Dolby TrueHD. In my case the option remains off no matter what TrueHD disc is playing. I think this may come down to a lack of direction within the specification regarding implementation. Onkyo set it up so that the option will revert back to the default setting upon a power cycle where Denon (handles it the correct way in my opinion) doesn't and leaves it off.

There are lots of users who are internally decoding in the player and/or using a PS3. I will check the thread in the BD Software forum to see if Pioneer/Yamaha/Sony receiver owners had DRC related issues.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So I have the Samsung HT-AS720 HTiB, which does TrueHD passthrough (with help from the PS3). Are you saying the only this can be "enabled" is if I have my DRC settings on my PS3 set to Auto?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

So I have the Samsung HT-AS720 HTiB, which does TrueHD passthrough (with help from the PS3). Are you saying the only this can be "enabled" is if I have my DRC settings on my PS3 set to Auto?

Greetings,

Yes. You probably should turn the setting to off regardless.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater

Tags
Iron Man Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies