Monsters vs. Aliens (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
attachment.php?attachmentid=154159&d=1254421445
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount/DreamWorks - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 94 minutes
Genre: Animated/Action/Sci-fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: The vocal talents of : Reese Witherspoon, Seth Rogan, Kiefer Sutherland, Hugh Laurie, Will Arnett, Rainn Wilson, Paul Rudd, John Krasinski, Amy Poehler, Stephen Colbert
Directed by: Rob Letterman & Conrad Vernon
Music by: Henry Jackman
Written by: Maya Forbes, Rob Letterman & Wally Wolodarsky
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 29, 2009

"Alien problem? Monster solution"

Film Synopsis:

The world's most unlikely heroes are on a mission to save Earth in DreamWorks Animation's Monsters Vs. Aliens. Ginormica, Dr. Cockroach Ph.D., The Missing Link, Insectosaurous and B.O.B. join forces to fight back when aliens attack.

My Take:

I am a fan of animated films like Monsters vs. Aliens and always look forward to the chance to review one that I haven’t seen. I missed this during its theatrical run but had seen the trailer on another DreamWorks Blu-ray disc I had in for review. This film definitely has its roots based in the sci-fi genre and as a matter of fact borrows from some classic sci-fi films from bygone eras. To be specific it throws back to movies such as Attack of the 50 foot woman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Blob, and the Fly, to name a few. The story begins with Susan, voiced with plenty of personality by Reese Witherspoon, who is a gushing bride to be that is accidentally struck on her wedding day by a meteor. Unfortunately for Susan she immediately begins growing (during the ceremony!) and finds herself as tall as a building, with bleached white hair. The U.S Military were monitoring the meteor and suddenly appear and capture Susan. She awakens to find herself incarcerated in what appears to be a large, secure, military run facility. She soon learns that she is not the only one being held there. She is led into a huge common area where she meets Dr. Cockroach, (Laurie) a scientist who inadvertently turned himself into a man sized cockroach, B.O.B (Rogan) a bluish colored Blob created by accident in a civilian lab, the Missing Link (Arnett) of unknown origin, and Insectosaurus, a huge, non-speaking, furry insect that looms significantly larger than even Susan. Susan is visited by General W.R. Monger (Sutherland) who advises her that she is now in military custody and can no longer return to her old life. He also explains who the other “Monsters” are and background is later provided on how they came to be there. Meanwhile in a galaxy not too far away an alien by the name of Galaxhar (Rainn Wilson) has his computer scanning the galaxy for a substance called Quantonium which he needs to power his world conquering machine. As it turns out Quantonium was being carried by the meteor that recently landed on earth and on top of Susan, who the military has now codenamed Ginormica. Galaxhar’s computer discovers the presence of Quantonium on earth and he dispatches a giant robot drone to earth in order to retrieve it. Upon the drone’s arrival on earth and of course in all places, the United States, it is peacefully greeted by the U.S. President (Stephen Colbert) and military. The drone reacts violently and when all military efforts to stop it fail, Gen. Monger comes up with a plan to use earth’s monsters to quell the threat.

Of course there is more to the story as Susan and her new comrades learn to work together and form a mutual bond that leads to friendship. This comes in handy when the evil Galaxhar comes to earth in order to personally retrieve the Quantonium and enslave any humans that survive the onslaught. Susan’s character (my favorite) is probably fleshed out the best while B.O.B’s flighty yet lovable demeanor helps keep things light. This is a cute, family oriented film that has enough substance to keep interest high for adults while providing a good balance of action and humor that everyone should find enjoyable. Its characters aren’t black hole deep but each is likeable along with their all star voiced counterparts as they contribute their share of value to the storyline and film as a whole. The script and direction covers the bases necessary to make for a well rounded and entertaining animated film that you can sit and enjoy with your kids.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi action, some crude humor, and mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Monsters vs. Aliens comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount/DreamWorks featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2.7 mbps.

This is a reference quality audio/video presentation that looks and sounds superb. Images are painted with a near infinite level of depth and dimensional perspective that at times is visually arresting. Intricate details such as the supple flow and separation of individual strands of hair or the interwoven texture of Susan’s sneakers and jumpsuit are incredibly lifelike. I was able to fully appreciate the attention to detail that went into the look of each of the animated characters. This included things like the subtle but discernible shades in Dr. Cockroach’s hazel colored eyes or the varying shapes and sizes of the tiny air bubbles inside of B.O.B.’s translucent body. Colors are tonally rich with a beautiful and diverse palette that looks succulent in high definition. Contrast and brightness are stable and strike a wonderful balance that highlighted the multi-layered grays and delineated whites within the video. The wide angle shots of the daytime sky look impeccable as the varying gradational structure of the light and dark segments within the clouds and blue shading of the sky are realistically depicted. The fight sequence that takes place on the bridge makes excellent use of contrast to delineate the skyline against the chromatic elements within the frame as Susan battles the giant robot drone. The shots of the dark interior of Galaxhar’s ship and the cavernous complex where the monsters are housed has superb depth of field and resolvable shadow delineation. Blacks have excellent depth and dynamic range but don’t quite achieve the ink like levels of the best discs available in high definition. This is a minor quibble from an otherwise superlative presentation that simply looked stunning.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is just as strong as the video and is a real treat. This is an engaging mix that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated so that sound effects seem to traverse the room. Surround activity is frequent and immersive as both directional and spatial information mixed to the rear channels weaves an enveloping pattern of sound. Dynamics are energetic and forceful which lends weight to the plethora of impact felt moments during the movie. This is a fairly aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its already powerful dynamic range. The result is impressive low frequency effects that have authoritative depth and response that occasionally contains infrasonic bass that is downright room shaking. Dialogue is rendered with aplomb and sonic details are refined and clearly articulated regardless of their position with the soundfield. This is an active and sophisticated surround mix that made for a fun, involving and demonstration level home theater experience.

Bonus Features:

• Filmmaker’s commentary with Rob Letterman, Lisa Stewart & Conrad Vernon

• Animator’s corner – PiP interactive BonusView featuring commentary/behind the scenes footage

• Trivia Track – Interactive pop-up feature

• Monstrous 3D and more (four pairs of 3D glasses are included) – B.O.B.s Big Break 3D game & 3D Paddleball

• Out of this world 2D fun – B.O.B.’s Big Break Game & (HD) Karaoke music party

• (HD) 3 deleted scenes

• (HD) Modern monster movie-making featurette – 17 minutes

• (HD) Tech of Monsters vs. aliens – featurette – 6 minutes

• (HD) DreamWorks animation video jukebox

Final Thoughts:

Monsters vs. aliens makes for great animated entertainment as it harkens back to bygone era monster based sci-fi classics while cleverly integrating a few modern themes, likeable characters, and plenty of fun for the whole family. Paramount/DreamWorks has done a magnificent job with its high definition presentation on Blu-ray Disc. Its audio/video presentation is of reference quality and is sure to please those who like to show off their home theater systems. The bonus material contains interactive games, Blu-ray friendly features, audio commentary tracks and several bland featurettes that examine the production from the perspective of the filmmakers. I suspect that younger audience members will appreciate the extra features more so than adults but perhaps that was the intention. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed Monsters vs. aliens and its exemplary high def presentation only made it better. I recommend you take it for a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review, Ralph. It is on my list to check it out and I'll do so asap.
post #3 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great review Ralph! Loved this in theaters so i'll need to get it on Blu-ray!

Verum postulo res.
post #4 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Watching it this weekend, can't wait.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #5 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just watched this last night with my son. This was a rare blind buy for me, as I am in the same boat as you, Ralph: I have a soft spot for CGI animated films. My son loved it for the comedy and action, and I loved picking out all of the mile-a-minute sci-fi references. All in all, a worthy purchase...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #6 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I loved this movie watched it with my 7 year old son, I got A good few Laughs out of this film And could'nt agree more with Ralph's Review as always...

Cheers....
post #7 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 08:36 AM

Liked: 14
I decided to buy this on blu-ray since I always seem to buy the CGI movies after renting since my son (and I) love them for their beautiful HD quality and humor.
However, we had guests over and I reluctantly relinquished my favorite viewing seat, and had the left over seat to the side of the room. I still had a great view, but the surround wasn't as good; even sitting where I was though, I could still hear the great surround and look forward to watching this on my own again from "my" seat.
This was a great movie, and as everyone always points out, great review Ralph. But I agree, the other DreamWorks film was a notch better in all aspects.

Josh
post #8 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This is a great movie and has some demo worthy scenes.. In particular, the final scene and the one in the Bridge....

Great review Ralph!

Cheers,

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Marantz AV8802, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23), Oppo BDP 103D, PS Audio Power Plant Premier
HT-Being re-designed and re-built.
post #9 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Great review, thanks Ralph. I really enjoyed this one and had fun watching it. Will Arnette just cracks me up and it was a nice surprise to hear Jack Bauer in there too

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Surprised this BR only received a score of 95 (even though 95 is a high score) when other animated films such as Panda received a perfect score of 100.

Cheers
post #11 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Surprised this BR only received a score of 95 (even though 95 is a high score) when other animated films such as Panda received a perfect score of 100.

Cheers

I love me some Panda.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #12 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Right on. Great review. 95 is a good score and I would agree KFP is just a bit better in pq than this. Nothing to be ashamed of though as KFP and Ratatouille are the two best movies I have seen for best video and audio. I will watch the whole thing Saturday night when we have our official viewing party with friends. Should be a blast!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #13 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 AM

Yup, rented this the other night.I thought the audio in this movie was insane! Like Ralph said great surround use and LFE.Crank it up!
post #14 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 01:22 PM

I truly enjoyed this movie, i agree with the score, there were a few scenes i felt werent as good as others, and that inconsistency is worth the drop from 100
post #15 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

I truly enjoyed this movie, i agree with the score, there were a few scenes i felt werent as good as others, and that inconsistency is worth the drop from 100

+1. Watched my BD rental last night, cute movie, very family friendly in spite of PG (?) rating. Don't know if I enjoyed enough to buy, perhaps someday when the price comes. Nice review.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #16 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 PM

I just watched this movie the other night and I must say the image quality is fantastic. It's funny, because almost all animated movies can look good, even a poor quality TV. However, I have seen a lot animated type films and this one stood out to me in particular. It had exceptional shadow detail, which made the movie seem more real.

I think it is worthy of a demo.

When you see the Hamburger you'll know you have a winner.
post #17 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 PM

Liked: 13
What is the encode and aspect ratio? They were left blank at the top of the review.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 55"
Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray
Toshiba A30 HD DVD
Onkyo TX-SR608 Reciever
Klipsch Ref RC500 Center (RC52)

Klipsch Ref RB600 Fronts (RB61)

Klipsch Ref RS400 Surrounds (RS42)
Klipsch Synergy SW10 Sub Woofer
SA Explorer 8300HD HD DVR
Harmony 650 Remote

Mac Mini/PS3/Wii

post #18 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1967 View Post

What is the encode and aspect ratio? They were left blank at the top of the review.

Greetings,

Whoops! Info added...sorry about that.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #19 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I still find it interesting that, more and more, the better animated movies are going 2.4 aspect

post #20 of 42 Old 10-03-2009, 06:51 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I still find it interesting that, more and more, the better animated movies are going 2.4 aspect

Frank
post #21 of 42 Old 10-03-2009, 06:54 AM
CIH USER

Watched this again (Daughter wanted second viewing) enjoyed it more. Great Pq and Aq

Frank
post #22 of 42 Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

i was in walmart on tuesday and this title was 24.96.went on friday and they dropped it to 19.96!
post #23 of 42 Old 10-03-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone demo the 3D bonus track?

post #24 of 42 Old 10-03-2009, 07:07 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Anyone demo the 3D bonus track?

Bobs big break, me and my daughter did. Wasnt too bad. But the 3D wasnt anything special you spending more time noticing what the 3d is doing.

Frank
post #25 of 42 Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Up's 3D was much better IMHO....
post #26 of 42 Old 10-05-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A short bonus film in 3 D kept going better and better in this package.
post #27 of 42 Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Watched this on Sat and thought this was a FUN film Fantastic PQ/AQ as well!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #28 of 42 Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Bobs big break, me and my daughter did. Wasnt too bad. But the 3D wasnt anything special you spending more time noticing what the 3d is doing.

We watched it Saturday night. Room full of kids. They all loved the movie but the 3d was fairly lame. Hardly any 3d hijinks where something comes at you from the screen for the kids to freak out about.

post #29 of 42 Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

We watched it Saturday night. Room full of kids. They all loved the movie but the 3d was fairly lame. Hardly any 3d hijinks where something comes at you from the screen for the kids to freak out about.

I agree the 3D was very lame. I certainly don't know what the big hype about 3D is.

Frank
post #30 of 42 Old 10-06-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree the 3D was very lame. I certainly don't know what the big hype about 3D is.

I assume the 3d movie presentation is better than the cheezy red blue glass deal. My 4 year old wanted nothing to do with the 3d glasses though. She wears sunglasses everywhere else but not touching the 3d in the home theater. That is why we have not tried out the 3d feature in the actual movie theater yet.

Reply Official AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Monsters by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page