Michael Jackson's This is it (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 02-02-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

Saw it last weekend and absolutely loved it!. I just wanted to see MJ in his element, aside from all the tabloid/news stories and I was totally blown away. I had to be reminded he was 50 yrs old as his moves and energy was that of a twenty year old.
The productions for each song were tremendous and the music gave my house a good thumping!
I was not a big fan of Michael Jackson before it started, but this movie has a place in my collection and I have a greater appreciation for the amazing talent that he was.

It would be great if more people would see the "real Michael Jackson" instead of worrying with the news and tv. I think everyone super fan "ME" or not "YOU" have had confusing thoughts over the years about the rumors. But what it comes down to is this...WE simply dont know what happened. Money can make people say anything at all. Especially the type of money MJ had. I have come to the conclusion a long time ago that I feel MJ was innocent.

I have been a fan since I was at least 10 if not earlier. I have seen rehearsal footage before so the movie wasnt anything new to me. BUT seeing the KING OF ENTERTAINMENT moments before he died was a blessing to me. Thanks for giving him a chance and now you can at least give his wonderful work a listen to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

Saw it last weekend and absolutely loved it!. I just wanted to see MJ in his element, aside from all the tabloid/news stories and I was totally blown away. I had to be reminded he was 50 yrs old as his moves and energy was that of a twenty year old.
The productions for each song were tremendous and the music gave my house a good thumping!
I was not a big fan of Michael Jackson before it started, but this movie has a place in my collection and I have a greater appreciation for the amazing talent that he was.

Nobody ends up beating the clock - including Michael. Starving himself to look slim and using chemicals to keep things working can only do so much with an old body.

Like showbiz in general, his appearance and energy were all part of the act.

Wish we would allow our entertainment heros to age naturally and gracefully.
post #33 of 54 Old 02-02-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Pounding bass track. A hell of a lot of fun. Big, low end.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #34 of 54 Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice Audio. Listening to rehersals was actually more interesting than I expected.

The extra features really enhance the value of the BD as well.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #35 of 54 Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After watching This Is It you are left wondering what the show would have been like with an arena full of people and all of the effects worked out.

It was like watching the making of Avatar with all of the technology used.

That being said, some of the best moments were just watching MJ alone on the stage with his music.

The sound shocked me at how great it was.

The movie also reminded me how much MJ was into the environment and peace before it became P.C. and part of the Hollywood mainstream.

I watched all of the extras on this Blu Ray, I can't remember the last time I did that.

I would love to see the final show put on with artists like Usher, Justin Timberlake and Chris "Punch you Out" Brown playing MJ.
post #36 of 54 Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post

I would love to see the final show put on with artists like Usher, Justin Timberlake and Chris "Punch you Out" Brown playing MJ.

I couldn't agree more! They've got the whole production queued up and ready to go. It wouldn't take long for the top artists to learn the choreography. It would take longer to work out the legal agreements and schedueling, but WOW, would it be awesome! Lets get this done in 2010 and get the Blu-ray out, "This Is It, The Tribute Concert".

How do you go low? A SVS PB10-isd and a Cerwin Vega LW-15, that's how I go
Sony 60GB PS3 for Blu-ray Movies
post #37 of 54 Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked it up for my wife. But I am looking forward to watching it. I an not into music movies I can say for 50 year old he is amazing. I think one person who get lost in entertaining is Tina Turner. I saw a few wwwks ago on one of the music channels and she can still bring it.

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #38 of 54 Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM

I watched it for a third time last night. I wonder if a future addition will have even more songs.
post #39 of 54 Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 AM

I must say that this is probably the best audio from any source my ears have ever heard. I am not a huge MJ fan but dang this was good. Absolutely stunning.
post #40 of 54 Old 02-14-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

I saw a few wwwks ago on one of the music channels and she can still bring it.

Yeah, not bad for a 70 year old.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #41 of 54 Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This is probably the best concert video I have viewed. On blu ray, it has bass for days coming from the DTS-HD soundtrack. I have reviewed it about five times since owning it, and I never tire from listening to it. I enjoyed it so much, I purchased the CD. This really is it.
post #42 of 54 Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

i agree with NouDont. After watching with my wife all i can say was WOW. From the start of the production to the design of his clothes. i did not realize how much thought and work is put into a concert. i really hope they do a tribute concert with some one like JT and Usher. to make this concert happen. it looks like it would have been a amazing concert. I was very impressed by how hands on he was. He was a true artist in every fashion.

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #43 of 54 Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

i agree with NouDont. After watching with my wife all i can say was WOW. From the start of the production to the design of his clothes. i did not realize how much thought and work is put into a concert. i really hope they do a tribute concert with some one like JT and Usher. to make this concert happen. it looks like it would have been a amazing concert. I was very impressed by how hands on he was. He was a true artist in every fashion.

This is what surprises everyone. I have seen plenty of his rehearsals and seen how in depth he was with the production, so it was no surprise to me. BUT its nice to see it again in HD BR..

Its too bad that millions of people have judged him as a freak and child molester for the last 20 years. It is partly to do with his death I feel and for his music dropping off the charts and losing popularity.

NOBODY knows what he was really like OR what really happened except him and what ever GOD he believed in. I choose to believe he is the "CHOSEN ONE" that was here for the common good, love and well being and to spread the word of LOVE around to everyone. AND like every great person in history, he was judged, ridiculed, and was killed in the process.

Sorry, its my feelings towards this wonderful human...Glad you enjoyed it and hope it opens you up to more of his works/arts that you might have never experienced before..
post #44 of 54 Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson View Post

This is what surprises everyone. I have seen plenty of his rehearsals and seen how in depth he was with the production, so it was no surprise to me. BUT its nice to see it again in HD BR..

Its too bad that millions of people have judged him as a freak and child molester for the last 20 years. It is partly to do with his death I feel and for his music dropping off the charts and losing popularity.

NOBODY knows what he was really like OR what really happened except him and what ever GOD he believed in. I choose to believe he is the "CHOSEN ONE" that was here for the common good, love and well being and to spread the word of LOVE around to everyone. AND like every great person in history, he was judged, ridiculed, and was killed in the process.

Sorry, its my feelings towards this wonderful human...Glad you enjoyed it and hope it opens you up to more of his works/arts that you might have never experienced before..

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Yours seems a bit over the top to me.

MJ was a pop singer and dancer. Probably more famous for his dancing than his voice.

He did spread the love as his court records clearly show.

MJ was an active participant in his own demise. Seems he played various doctors for medications and ultimately found one that would give him anything he wanted. Sometimes it's not good to get everything you want.

Time has a way of remembering the good. This concert rehersal disc reminds us all of his talent. It would have been great if he had been able to perform these live shows and retired as the undefeated pop champion of the world.
post #45 of 54 Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:

Honestly for me, the jury is still out on MJ as a human being outside of music and the beautiful message portrayed in a lot of his music. He obviously (from my perspective) had some serious mental issues and he was flawed just like any human being..........to what degree is all speculation.

Having said that, the great thing about "This Is It" IMO is it seperates all that BS and focuses on the talent that is MJ, and what a talent he was. His passion for what he did and his attention to detail is incredibly impressive.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #46 of 54 Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Yours seems a bit over the top to me.

MJ was a pop singer and dancer. Probably more famous for his dancing than his voice.

He did spread the love as his court records clearly show.

MJ was an active participant in his own demise. Seems he played various doctors for medications and ultimately found one that would give him anything he wanted. Sometimes it's not good to get everything you want.

Time has a way of remembering the good. This concert rehersal disc reminds us all of his talent. It would have been great if he had been able to perform these live shows and retired as the undefeated pop champion of the world.

MJ was known for having the voice of an angle. When we went to see it at the theaters, my youngest son said "he sounds like an angle". He has OR had one of the very best voices ever in the industry. Very distinctive, very strong and so much soul and passion it brought tears to your eyes. If you are a lover of music like we are in this house you truly understand the greatness that was / IS ...MJ

AND honestly losing the voice of music and dance the KING OF POP im far from over the top. When someone has influenced everyone from A-Z in music and theater, and video production you cant be "over the top" really..Even people who arent fans can see the importance if they would stop judging and open their eyes and ears for once. "not saying thats you".
post #47 of 54 Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MJ was known for having the voice of an angle. When we went to see it at the theaters, my youngest son said "he sounds like an angle". He has OR had one of the very best voices ever in the industry. Very distinctive, very strong and so much soul and passion it brought tears to your eyes. If you are a lover of music like we are in this house you truly understand the greatness that was / IS ...MJ

AND honestly losing the voice of music and dance the KING OF POP im far from over the top. When someone has influenced everyone from A-Z in music and theater, and video production you cant be "over the top" really..Even people who arent fans can see the importance if they would stop judging and open their eyes and ears for once. "not saying thats you".

Now we are in agreement. MJ's voice did have a certain angle to it, especially when he grabbed his crotch and did one of those high "he-he" type sounds. I think it was the angle that actually made him distinct.

I thought initially that you saw him as some sort of heavenly being. Glad you cleared that up.
post #48 of 54 Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now we are in agreement. MJ's voice did have a certain angle to it, especially when he grabbed his crotch and did one of those high "he-he" type sounds. I think it was the angle that actually made him distinct.

I thought initially that you saw him as some sort of heavenly being. Glad you cleared that up.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistakes and thanks for sarcasm it is sorely missed if I dont receive some thoughout my day.
post #49 of 54 Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It seems their have been and will be musicians and actors/actresses that will have dealings with drugs and personal traumas that get splashed across the globe for us to see, but for what they may give to us/me, in song, dance or film performances, that give my emotions a charge, I'll say thanks for that...
post #50 of 54 Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistakes and thanks for sarcasm it is sorely missed if I dont receive some thoughout my day.

All meant with a gentle spirit.
post #51 of 54 Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All meant with a gentle spirit.

I know..its all good my friend..
post #52 of 54 Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was hoping for something more than just footage of the preconcert material. A narrative to the video, setting up the scenes, would have helped a lot.

The audio on this Blu-ray is amazing, and worth renting just for that reason. I don't think I've ever heard my system sound so clear and dynamic. Beautiful stuff.

Besides that, this Blu-ray didn't provide much of anything with regards to who Michael was. It's just pieced together footage. The man was amazingly talented though, and that is proven in this Blu-ray.

PQ: 3.5 out of 5, SQ: 5 out of 5, Film 3 out of 5

Dan
post #53 of 54 Old 02-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post

After watching This Is It you are left wondering what the show would have been like with an arena full of people and all of the effects worked out.

I have never seen one of his DVDs until this, and I can't help but imagine how incredible the BD would have been had the concerts happened.

Quote:

Nobody ends up beating the clock

I was at a Springsteen concert, and he must be around 60, but he certainly didn't look it. He was sliding from one side of the stage to the other on his knees, spinning around on the microphone stand, whipping the guitar around his shoulders for what seemed like a whole minute, and just when I thought a song was over, he would extend it. It was almost like he didn't want to leave the stage. Must be nice to be fit!
post #54 of 54 Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
This is an enjoyable movie. I was glued to the screen. The audio is really fantastic, and I'm no die hard Michael Jackson fan. I'd recommend this title just to see how much work goes into putting a production on like this. You can tell it is incredibly tiresome for all parties involved. It's also interesting to see his head talent is reverent to him to the point of being eerie! --- almost as if they are apologetic in every response to him... He definately seems eccentric...

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Michael Jackson This Is It Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Michael by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page