Clash of the Titans (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
attachment.php?attachmentid=180810&d=1279654333
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 106 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton, Mads Mikkelsen, Alexa Davalos
Directed by: Louis Leterrier
Music by: Ramin Djawadi
Written by: Travis Beachman, Phil Hay, and Matt Manfredi
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 27, 2010

"Between gods and men"

Film Synopsis:

In Clash of the Titans, the ultimate struggle for power pits men against kings and kings against gods. But the war between the gods themselves could destroy the world. Born of a god but raised as a man, Perseus (Sam Worthington) is helpless to save his family from Hades (Ralph Fiennes), vengeful god of the underworld. With nothing to lose, Perseus volunteers to lead a dangerous mission to defeat Hades before he can seize power from Zeus (Liam Neeson) and unleash hell on earth. Battling unholy demons and fearsome beasts, Perseus and his warriors will only survive if Perseus accepts his power as a god, defies fate and creates his own destiny.

My Take:

When I saw that Warner was remaking Clash of the titans my interest was piqued. In the early eighties I watched the original on cable TV every chance I got. I loved the story, the Greek Mythology/mythical characters and of course Ray Harryhausen's wonderful stop motion animation. In this remake the premise remains intact and revolves around Perseus, the demigod son of Zeus, and his quest to thwart the impending destruction of the city of Argos from the monstrous Kraken. There are some changes in this version which diminish the depth of the story and in my opinion make it less appealing than the original. In the original Perseus' quest was for his love of Andromeda, who was to be sacrificed to the Kraken as vengeance for the goddess Thetis and her outcast son Calibos. Perseus was carefully watched over by Zeus and provided help that came in the form of weapons from the gods, a robotic owl named Bubo, and of course the mighty winged white horse Pegasus. The development of the characters both primary and secondary as well as their placement in the simple but multi-layered narrative made for a rewarding tale of heroism that has a timeless appeal.

The story here is a bit darker in theme as Hades is essentially the sole antagonist whose actions are responsible for Perseus' plight. Perseus seeks revenge against Hades for the deaths of his adopted family. He agrees to go on the quest to save Andromeda/Argos for the sole purpose of having a shot a killing Hades. Meanwhile Hades plots against Zeus and hopes that the destruction of Argos will give him the power to overthrow him. The script moves quickly with brief introductions, a shallow back story, and little connection to the characters most of whom wind up dead before we even know their names. It becomes apparent that the goal is to get to the action. As a genre fan I can live with that and appreciated the frenetic pace of the screenplay once things got going.

This is a special effect laden extravaganza that's story relies too much on it in the hopes of drawing the audience in. Speaking of which I felt that some of the CGI wasn't a good fit within the context of the story (I guess as compared to the original). Medusa's face was modeled after Russian supermodel Natalia Vodianova. She looked way to hot to be intimidating as a bow/arrow wielding, serpent headed monster whose gaze turned living things to stone. The Kraken was just too massive and beastlike which made it having any interest in the sacrifice of a human woman seem ridiculous. I didn't like the diminished role of Pegasus and felt as though the comradery/devotion between him and Perseus was an important element in the original film. Lastly I felt that the reference to Bubo (the golden robotic owl) was poorly integrated and a bit of a slap in the face to those of us that appreciated his contribution to the original story.

Having said all of that and taking this film strictly on face value I found it to be entertaining. I think that Sam Worthington is a proven talent and has the chops to pull off these types of roles. The remaining cast headed by Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Mads Mikkelsen did well although I couldn't help but feel that the majority of the talented actors present were underused. This included Alexa Davalos, Jason Flemyng, Pete Postlethwaite, Alexander Siddig, and Danny Huston. I liked the finale although the ending was a little corny. There is an alternate ending included which doesn't improve things so the original was probably the better choice. The question remains, is Clash of the titans worth seeing? I think so. It may not be great cinema but as action flicks go it has enough going for it to make it fun to watch. For those of us who love the original we can probably enjoy this one while acknowledging the fact that it doesn't quite measure up.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for fantasy action/violence, some frightening images and brief sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Clash of the titans comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This film's limited chromatic visual style doesn't lend itself to overly vibrant colors and high gloss video quality. There are instances where brighter elements/deeper color extension are utilized and the punchy contrast allows them to pop nicely. Otherwise onscreen images predominantly lean toward darker color schemes, and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers use to drive the story's components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is quite good and revealing of subtle details within dark backgrounds and low lighting which enhances visual depth. Strong contrast and stable black levels allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dark dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are predominantly characterized by well resolved detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is the case in all but a few instances where definition softens and doesn't retain the same level of lucidity. This appears innate and attributable to the use of CGI. Grain is visible and rendered in fine even layers that provides texture while never appearing obtrusive.

A movie like Clash of the titans this lives or dies by its soundtrack and Warner's active DTS-HD Master Audio mix gets it right. This is a captivating surround sound mix that features an immersive array of well placed sound effects that at times prays upon your aural senses. I appreciated the attention to detail that went into creating the surround mix as it effectively replicates the environments featured in the film. Near field sounds are accurately placed within the sound field which gives them multi-dimensional perspective that places you right in the middle of the action. During the extended battle with the giant scorpioch and the Krakens arrival in Argos the entire room is illuminated with an array of sounds that are both directional and ambient in nature. Bass is rich, and room pressurizing as it accentuates the audio's excellent dynamic range with gun punching impact. Dialogue intelligibility is never a problem even during the film's active moments. This is a great surround sound experience that certainly made this film more enjoyable.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Maximum Movie Mode - An in-depth look at the film/production via an interactive viewer that includes enhanced scene breakdowns, on-spot vignettes, dissection of visual FX, cast/crew interviews and more. For those without Bonusview capable players each of the segments can be viewed independently as focus points as indicated below.

• (HD) Focus points ( totaling 27 minutes):

1. Sam Worthington is Perseus
    2. Zeus: Father of the gods and men
    3. Enter the world of Hades
    4. Calibos: The man behind the monster
    5. Tenerife: A continent on an island
    6. Scorpioch
    7. Actors and their stunts
    8. Wales: A beautiful scarred landscape
    9. Bringing Medusa to life

• (HD) Sam Worthington: An action her for the ages - 8 minute featurette

• (HD) Alternate ending

• (HD) Deleted scenes

• WB BD-Live enabled

• Digital Copy/DVD Bonus Disc of Clash of the titans
attachment.php?attachmentid=180811&d=1279654333

Final Thoughts:

Taken on face value Clash of the titans is an entertaining, special effect laden extravaganza that doesn't live up to the original 1981 film but makes for a decent watch when you have a craving for action. Warner's big ticket flicks coming to Blu-ray have yielded some impressive results and Clash of the titans is no different. It offers excellent high definition video and room shaking lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound that is sure to make the demonstration material lists of high resolution audio enthusiasts. The comprehensive list of bonus features includes Warner's Blu-ray friendly Maximum Movie Mode which looks inside the production from an interactive view while the movie plays, Deleted scenes, an alternate ending, and a bonus disc which contains a DVD version and digital copy of the film. This is a solid package that comes recommended for fans. If you haven't seen it I would recommend a rental prior to purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In the theater where I watched COTT the Kraken wrath scene was insane with bass. Would you say this scene is a LFE demo worthy sscene on the BR,Ralph?
post #3 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pretty good movie, i'll be picking it up on tuesday.

post #4 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

In the theater where I watched COTT the Kraken wrath scene was insane with bass. Would you say this scene is a LFE demo worthy sscene on the BR,Ralph?

Greetings,

It absolutely rocks..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Liked: 12
Release the Cracken!

~Dan
-----------
Cleveland, OH
post #6 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thx, I'll have to wait on viewing this one since BB has an exclusive on the BR over NF. Oh well.

My wife, shockingly enjoyed this movie. Both of us enjoyed this one more than the RIDICULOUSLY overrated/overhyped Avatar. Guess we are alone in that view. LOL.
post #7 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

Both of us enjoyed this one more than the RIDICULOUSLY overrated/overhyped Avatar. Guess we are alone in that view. LOL.

I haven't seen Clash yet, but I can tell you that there's a damn good chance I'll be right there with you.

Thanks for the review, Ralph.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #8 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Thanks for the review; I'm inclined to wait for the inevitable S3D release, shoddy 3D effects notwithstanding.

One question: I was reading that the BluRay would include a featurette on next year's live action Green Lantern movie; was any such featurette on your review copy?

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
post #9 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM

Having just seen The Lighting Thief (which is an enjoyable mix of COTT and Harry Potter) I might have to wait awhile to see this one. Like The Karate Kid, the 80's version is so burned into my brain it is hard to conceive of a modern remake. I'm sure I'll get around to it.
post #10 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Liked: 31
Well...we've been getting stinkies lately... guess I'll pick this one up...

I need some LFE material anyway.

Thanks for the great review King Potts ~
post #11 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 PM

Liked: 17
As a fan of the original, I fully expected to have a singularly "meh" experience with the remake (especially after the beating it took by the critics). But surprise surprise, it was actually a lot of fun! Personally, I loved Medusa's upgrade and the Bubo reference, and even though they changed up the dynamics of Perseus' conflict (and love interest) we had a great time with it and appreciated the effort. PQ and audio are top drawer (Warners, whadya expect?) and could easily serve well as reference quality. Add an excellent soundtrack and you've got a fun, rousing afternoon at the home theatre and a solid 2D triumph.

post #12 of 44 Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 230
LIke Ralph, I used to watch this every time it came on cable back in the 80s. I still remember how much of a crush I had on that princess, how funny the little mechanical owl was, and how intense the final showdown with Madussa was in the end. I had big expectations for this remake, and while I have yet to see the film, the reviews and feedback has been less than encouraging. Oh well, at least people like Ralph and I still have the nostalgia and memories of seeing the original as kids
post #13 of 44 Old 07-22-2010, 02:10 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Thank you for the review Ralph I cannot wait to purchase this.

Frank
post #14 of 44 Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Even though this film was a remake it didn't feel like it. I guess it's becauase some of the characters were a bit more modern. Still prefer the old classic.

Overall i thought this was a decent movie. Great special effects but that's about it. Great score so i'll be collecting this.

Cheers
post #15 of 44 Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Tragic results, based on greek myths, distorted as much they could...
I saw it and I pitty they money I spent... Really...
post #16 of 44 Old 07-23-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can't wait to see this on blu-ray as it should look and sound spectacular!
Without getting to the whole re-make vs the original movie controversy this should be a film that showcases the blu-ray experience.
Big special effects, epic battle scenes, plus big sound.
Thanks Ralph for the review.
post #17 of 44 Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
As always, King Potts nails it .. Harryhausen's legacy lives on ... he turned 90 this year and it's my understanding he's still pretty active. Should we all be so lucky.

BTW.. they should have asked him to do a cameo ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #18 of 44 Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Looking forward to this one. It was a blind buy for me.

Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Denon AVR-4100X - Oppo BDP-103 - Panasonic 60GT30 - Definitive Technology BP-8060ST
Definitive Technology CS-8060HD - Definitive Technology SR-8040BP -
Definitive Technology PM800 (4) ceiling mounted - SVS PC12-NSD (2)

2 Channel - Marantz PM8004 - Oppo BDP-105D - Music Hall MMF-5.1 - iFi Phono - Pioneer SP-BS22LR
post #19 of 44 Old 07-24-2010, 06:35 PM

all flash; no substance. i cant think of a movie with worse character development...
post #20 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

all flash; no substance. i cant think of a movie with worse character development...

All About Steve, Basic Instinct 2, Battlefield Earth, Gigli ... to name a few ..

Clash sits in my truck for tonights feature film.. the effects alone have got to be worth a watch .. flash vs substance is not always bad ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #21 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. It isn't great cinema, but a lot of fun with loads of action.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #22 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM

10/10 awesome movie!
post #23 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. It isn't great cinema, but a lot of fun with loads of action.

Greetings,

Told ya..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 08:06 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak2010 View Post

10/10 awesome movie!

Just saw the trailer last night on blu ray I'm definitely looking forward to it this weekend. No lack of bass on the trailer either.

Frank
post #25 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM

2.40 to 1 They can keep it!! When are they going to ever learn! Who gives a dang what the director wants to see.!! Some many more copies would be bought . (well at least 1 more)
post #26 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 09:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 View Post

2.40 to 1 They can keep it!! When are they going to ever learn! Who gives a dang what the director wants to see.!! Some many more copies would be bought . (well at least 1 more)

I'm assuming this was a joke.
post #27 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

I'm assuming this was a joke.

I'm sure it is

Frank
post #28 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just watched this tonight and really enjoyed this movie.
It really looked awesome on blu-ray with great picture and sound.
I found the story and characters compelling and not just some flash with no substance.
The action and battle sequences were intense and the audio track superb.
Pick up a copy and release the Kraken.
post #29 of 44 Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

I found the story and characters compelling and not just some flash with no substance.

If you want a fun game, have a bottle of Tequila next to you and any time the Kraken is mentioned take a shot. I bet you won't see the end of the movie before you pass out!

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #30 of 44 Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions JJHXBR. Glad you enjoyed it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Clash by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page