Avatar Extended Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 121 Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moork View Post

Just finished watching the extended version: quite a visceral experience.

The LFE during the tree falling scene was abrupt, but hardly a detraction from the overall audio showcase. This movie easily deserves the ratings Ralph, and just about every other critic, has given it for video and audio performance. Truly an achievement in cinematic technology.

I definitely agree. The video image was perfect I felt I could jump into the screen. Audio was also perfect.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Slightly O.T., I just think it's too bad this film doesn't have something more to offer than technological marvels. Story is severely lacking, derivative, poorly written and frankly pretty insulting to the audience. So what's new.............
It doesn't cost any more to offer original stories with intelligent writing, Cameron could do much, much better.

+ 1

Could not agree more. E.E.Doc Smith, R A. Heinlein, J W. Campbell and numerous others were pioneering (Actually creating - from scratch) better stories long before Lucas/Cameron pilfered many of their ideas and tarted them up for the screen for mass consumption.

Its popcorn rubbish, albeit very expensive popcorn

Blade
post #93 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post

Of all things, the item that drew my attention to this extended release was the "family-friendly soundtrack".

I truely wish that they would consider the inclusion of these in more movies. I think it would serve to help format in multiple ways. It doesn't have to be a lossless track so it doesn't encroach on disc space....

Is this an optional feature soundtrack or are you required to listen to it if you watch the extended release???

bignorm is my bulldog!!
post #94 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignorm View Post

Is this an optional feature soundtrack or are you required to listen to it if you watch the extended release???

Optional.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #95 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 AM

While watching Avatar this weekend, the scrub bar kept popping up at the beginning of a new chapter (Panasonic DMP-BD50, up-to-date firmware). It did this for all cuts of the movie. I saw no menu option to activate/deactivate it, so I'm guessing this is a player problem. Haven't had an opportunity to try the disc elsewhere.

Anyone else experience this? Most annoying.

Tom...
post #96 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_k35 View Post

While watching Avatar this weekend, the scrub bar kept popping up at the beginning of a new chapter (Panasonic DMP-BD50, up-to-date firmware). It did this for all cuts of the movie. I saw no menu option to activate/deactivate it, so I'm guessing this is a player problem. Haven't had an opportunity to try the disc elsewhere.

Anyone else experience this? Most annoying.

Tom...

This actually happened to me as well, but only once (the scene with all the military ships heading to Home Tree).

I have the Sony BDP-S5000ES. I backtracked to before the scene and let it play, and it didn't occur again.
post #97 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRnR View Post

+ 1

Could not agree more. E.E.Doc Smith, R A. Heinlein, J W. Campbell and numerous others were pioneering (Actually creating - from scratch) better stories long before Lucas/Cameron pilfered many of their ideas and tarted them up for the screen for mass consumption.

Its popcorn rubbish, albeit very expensive popcorn

Blade

Why do people insist on coming into threads for films they don't like, just to tell others that like the film, how bad it is?

Before someone replies about having a right to an opinion, of course you do. But to search out a thread of which you have no interest, except to deride what most others like, seems a waste of time.

Art
post #98 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Why do people insist on coming into threads for films they don't like, just to tell others that like the film, how bad it is?

Before someone replies about having a right to an opinion, of course you do. But to search out a thread of which you have no interest, except to deride what most others like, seems a waste of time.

Art

I agree Art. If I don't like a particular film I don't visit the thread at all. Why they do it? Who knows.

Frank
post #99 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM

My avatar extended edition seems to skip at certain points in the movie. I have LG BD-570 player. My player is on the latest firmware. Is this a problem with the player and need to wait for a new firmware or do I need to exchange the disc?
post #100 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by kholdstares View Post

My avatar extended edition seems to skip at certain points in the movie. I have LG BD-570 player. My player is on the latest firmware. Is this a problem with the player and need to wait for a new firmware or do I need to exchange the disc?

Greetings,

I have an LG BD-590 on hand can you provide a few time frames where the problem manifests itself?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #101 of 121 Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 PM

Well I exchanged my copy of avatar, that had the video issues, at best buy and I just got through watching my new copy and no problems

post #102 of 121 Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can't wait to get this... Hopefully it will work with my Sony BDP-S360

Denon 2809CI
C: Def Tech - CLR2002
F: Def Tech - BP2002TL
S: Def Tech - BP1.2X
SB: Def Tech - PM400
Sub: Plan to get the SVS-SB1000
post #103 of 121 Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree Art. If I don't like a particular film I don't visit the thread at all. Why they do it? Who knows.

It's a discussion board, all opinions should be welcome- not just positive ones. What about the thread for The Last Airbender? Should everyone in that thread only post if they liked the movie?

I found Avatar to be fairly boring. It was all very safe, which is why it's flaws were so overlooked by the majority- it hit all the right notes to make it an easily digestable blockbuster film, and when you add to that-

1) the best FX ever seen

2) 3D theater experience buzz

3) the James Cameron name

-you have one of the biggest films ever.

I never 'lost' myself in the film, which is a crime for a fantastic sci fi adventure film of this magnitude, from one of the great visionaries. For a James Cameron film, it should have been much better than it is- a movie about high production values.
post #104 of 121 Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonist View Post

It's a discussion board, all opinions should be welcome- not just positive ones. What about the thread for The Last Airbender? Should everyone in that thread only post if they liked the movie?

Yes. There is other threads where you can whinge on how much you hate the movie. This thread is about the Blu ray review. The people who are interested in buying the extended edition will be interested can still make positive reviews or negative review wether they agree with Ralphs score or not.

Frank
post #105 of 121 Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Yes. There is other threads where you can whinge on how much you hate the movie. This thread is about the Blu ray review. The people who are interested in buying the extended edition will be interested can still make positive reviews or negative review wether they agree with Ralphs score or not.

Frankly, your take is confusing, bordering on nonsense.

How do you know I'm not still interested in buying this for the HT? Just because I'm disappointed in the film (I don't hate it, nor do I 'whinge' about it) doesn't mean I won't have it in the collection.

Is it a good film? Yes. Is it one of the best Blu-rays ever? Again, yes- but for me, it's for reasons other than the quality of the movie.
post #106 of 121 Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonist View Post

Frankly, your take is confusing, bordering on nonsense.

How do you know I'm not still interested in buying this for the HT? Just because I'm disappointed in the film (I don't hate it, nor do I 'whinge' about it) doesn't mean I won't have it in the collection.

Is it a good film? Yes. Is it one of the best Blu-rays ever? Again, yes- but for me, it's for reasons other than the quality of the movie.

Like I said there other threads for it.

Frank
post #107 of 121 Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Like I said there other threads for it.

Like I said, your post was borderline nonsense. Do you even know what you were saying? Maybe you should clarify, I'm sincerely curious.
post #108 of 121 Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I have an LG BD-590 on hand can you provide a few time frames where the problem manifests itself?

Regards,

These are some of the time when it skips running the extended version.

31:01 skips to 32:27
58:32 skips to 1:03:13
1:09:57 skips to 1:15:54
1:48:48 skips to 2:32:40

I think there might be a couple more but not listed. Seems like those time slots could be where some of the deleted scenes could fit in. It skips right at the scene no matter what versions of the movie I play. I can fast forward that part or time skip a second after the time slot and the movie plays fine.
post #109 of 121 Old 11-24-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

These are some of the time when it skips running the extended version.

31:01 skips to 32:27
58:32 skips to 1:03:13
1:09:57 skips to 1:15:54
1:48:48 skips to 2:32:40

Apparently, there are some known defective discs floating around.
I would exchange your copy ASAP.
post #110 of 121 Old 11-24-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular
Apparently, there are some known defective discs floating around.
I would exchange your copy ASAP.
Yup I had a defective disc as well.

post #111 of 121 Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post

Yup I had a defective disc as well.

I was able to fix my samsung bluray player and the movie plays fine on it. So in conclusion, its the player that is causing the skipping not the disc. So LG BD570 you might experience skipping of movie until it is fixed in another upgrade.
post #112 of 121 Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:

I was able to fix my samsung bluray player and the movie plays fine on it. So in conclusion, its the player that is causing the skipping not the disc. So LG BD570 you might experience skipping of movie until it is fixed in another upgrade.

I had video interference/pixelating problems on my pioneer 320 and I returned that disc and there is no problems on my new copy. "knock on wood"

post #113 of 121 Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What kind of "cinematic achievement" are we talking about? When you watch Avatar does it not look like CGI? Don't we have in our collections shelves and shelves of movies that attempt to blend live action and CGI seamlessly and hasn't every one of them failed to cover the seams? Add Avatar to that long list. You no more believed Sigourney Weaver was interacting with tall blue people than you believed Ewan McGregor was having a heart-to-heart with an actual, real live Gungan.

So what is this "cinematic achievement" that many claim Avatar has achieved that countless other films have not?

And great review BTW.
post #114 of 121 Old 11-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

What kind of "cinematic achievement" are we talking about? When you watch Avatar does it not look like CGI? Don't we have in our collections shelves and shelves of movies that attempt to blend live action and CGI seamlessly and hasn't every one of them failed to cover the seams? Add Avatar to that long list. You no more believed Sigourney Weaver was interacting with tall blue people than you believed Ewan McGregor was having a heart-to-heart with an actual, real live Gungan.

So what is this "cinematic achievement" that many claim Avatar has achieved that countless other films have not?

And great review BTW.

Agree 100%. No one has ever been able to answer that question and no one has even been able to answer why this 3D looks any different from any other 3D movie made. There is still depth of field fuzziness, motion blur problems and the darkened images. Speedracer was just as visually impressive as a 2d movie.
post #115 of 121 Old 11-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Hi all,

Purchased the Extended Edition a week or so with plans to watch it today after the football games. The problem I'm having is with the Top Menu and selecting the DTS-HD soundtrack instead of the the various Dolby soundtracks. When I get to audio, all it lets me do is go through all the Dolby alternatives rather then moving to DTS-HD regardless of what button I press... getting pretty frustrated, as I didn't have this problem on the earlier BD I rented from Netflix. FYI, using an OPPO BDP-80 feeding into an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver [that all goes to a Samsung 61S750 DLP HDTV and Klipsch speakers (Heresys and an Academy center)] so I'm anxious to hear it using the preferred methodology.

Any advice you all can provide will be appreciated... I don't have that much hair to pull out!

Also as a sidenote, this has to be the best packaged BD/DVD combo I've seen so far... very little, if any, plastic used.

And BTW, you're both wrong, it's Giovanni Ribisi

P.S. Edit from stupid on 11/26/2010... Nevermind...

Thanks,

Wipster

"Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?"
post #116 of 121 Old 11-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn't get the first release-glad I waited and got this version. It was awesome-btw-never saw it at the theature so it was a surprise how good it was. The movie is filled with cliches-but what isn't these days?
post #117 of 121 Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM

I've read about the 3-D featurette on disc 3 and I can't access it. I've scrolled to the far right to "live extras" then I hit the right arrow again and it just takes me back to "scene deconstruction". I've also tried the up and down arrows to no avail. I have the Samsung BD-6900 and a Samsung C8000 3D LED TV and would like to watch this hidden feature.

post #118 of 121 Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if you have a problem with the disc or your player. It certainly seems odd you cannot access it.
post #119 of 121 Old 12-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey Ralph,

I was just wondering, when reviewing blu ray discs in your screening room/home theater, do you or have you ever done so in 3D? I was wondering what the difference would be in video quality for those of us that don't have 3-D set-ups as far as your reviews go?

For example, since a movie like this was shot with 3-D in mind, (not sure if it was shot in 2-D and then converted to 3-D or shot in 3-D) was it the directors' intention for the consumer to view this presentation in 2-D or 3-D?

I can't recall reading any post that you've written with a review of how well the 3-D aspect of the performance of the blu-ray has faired.

Not sure if it's relevant or not but if you do plan to go the route of reviewing a 3-D movie in 3-D, would you then reveal how well it would fair in regards to your normal benchmark of video excellence?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback.

I wish you and the family (also everyone else) a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
post #120 of 121 Old 12-20-2010, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

Hey Ralph,

I was just wondering, when reviewing blu ray discs in your screening room/home theater, do you or have you ever done so in 3D? I was wondering what the difference would be in video quality for those of us that don't have 3-D set-ups as far as your reviews go?

For example, since a movie like this was shot with 3-D in mind, (not sure if it was shot in 2-D and then converted to 3-D or shot in 3-D) was it the directors' intention for the consumer to view this presentation in 2-D or 3-D?

I can't recall reading any post that you've written with a review of how well the 3-D aspect of the performance of the blu-ray has faired.

Not sure if it's relevant or not but if you do plan to go the route of reviewing a 3-D movie in 3-D, would you then reveal how well it would fair in regards to your normal benchmark of video excellence?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback.

I wish you and the family (also everyone else) a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Greetings,

Great post. Both Lee and I have moved to 3D capable displays and are planning to begin reviewing 3D content when it comes our way. My ratings/system will be revised to accomodate it although I am still working on how it will be implemented. Once I have it worked out I will post in the main review section.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Avatar by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page