Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 704 Old 12-18-2014, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Received my copy yesterday and I concur that it's far easier to use than both Avia and DVE.

I'd copied my settings from those posted by someone else with the same projector and they were close to spot-on. So not much in the way of change other than the chroma needing a boost.

Didn't look at anything other than the samples on the disc yet. The POTC scene looked very grainy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optoma HD131xe on 106" Accuscreens 16:9 pull-down screen
Marantz SR7008 AVR / Sony PS3 Fat / Sony BDP-5200 / Mac Mini / Synology 212j NAS
Polk Monitor65T Series II LR / Polk CS1 centre / Polk Monitor30 Series II heights / Monoprice in-wall 5-1/4 Inch surrounds / SVS SB12-NSD sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 704 Old 12-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
There is a thread on AVS about pro calibrators. It costs $300+, but totally worth it unless you TV was only $500. I had my Panny plasma calibrated a few years ago and it still looks fantastic. Thanks Lee Gallagher!
My pleasure, Rick!

Lee Gallagher
Imaging Science Professional
THX Certified Professional

Advanced Audio Visual
www.advancedaudiovisual.tv
post #693 of 704 Old 12-26-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am going to be using the WOW blu to calibrate my tv using my PS3. Any suggestions on settings I should set on the PS3? I read in earlier posts some users had to turn on the Super White setting...
post #694 of 704 Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BViz View Post
I am going to be using the WOW blu to calibrate my tv using my PS3. Any suggestions on settings I should set on the PS3? I read in earlier posts some users had to turn on the Super White setting...
Make sure you are set to RGB "Limited" and NOT "Full". I also use Super White.
post #695 of 704 Old 01-13-2015, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why not "full"?
post #696 of 704 Old 01-13-2015, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post
Why not "full"?
Depending on the display the extreme contrast can crush dark details into nothingness.

PC monitors should get the full range, while TVs generally should not.
post #697 of 704 Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

The simple answer is that your system is not wired correctly.

This is what that test is designed to show you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantWinston View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by pjp 

Hello, Just tried Disney WOW and everything worked great except for the test tones. In the 5.1 audio test tone menu, the Front/Center/right were fine, but the rear left tone comes out the front left channel and rear right comes out the front right. Also, there is no subwoofer tone on the LFE tone. My setup is Sony PS3 feeding Sunfire TGIV via optical digital input, so I am not getting audio from the Bluray through HDMI. As anybody encountered this issue and is there a solution?

Thanks,
Peter

Have you found a solution for this?  I started a thread about this a few weeks ago, but I still haven't found a solution.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507975/fl...#post_24210452

However I am using a PS3 connected to my TV through my AV receiver with HDMI cables (no optical) and I do have sound through my LFE input.  The thing that I can't figure out is I have a 7.1 system.  When I select 5.1 for the speaker calibration it works perfectly.  It's when I select 7.1 when I get the issue of having sound in the FL and SL channels at the same time.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #698 of 704 Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

System, Speaker & Subwoofer Setup

Hi,

Ideally, you want ALL speakers the exact same distance from your listening position ... using the position of your head as a reference point.

Basically, if you were to draw a circle around your listening portion, you want all speakers on this circle at the exact same distance for you including your subwoofer.

Here is an almost ideal scenario to start with.

* Turn off Audyssey.

* Take any Equalizers or Processing Enhancements out of the system.

* Set all your speakers up on the circle of the arc around your listening position. Get them all within 1" or less equal distance from your ears at the listening position. I use a Bosch laser measuring device accurate to 1/16". However, anything accurate to within 1/4" will work. If you have a helper, you can use a tape measure as well. Just watch out for slack in the measuring tape to assure accuracy.

* The measurements must be accurate enough to the CENTER of each driver to assure a tolerance of less than 1". To be honest, once I am dialed in, I can hear a difference when I move the Sub out of position by even 1/2". Sounds crazy, but it is true. The entire image as well as note accuracy, transient response, and synchronicity simply falls apart if I move my sub from its ideal position.

* Make sure your Sub is as close to 90 degrees as possible. See images attached as well as pictures showing how I have my Subwoofer in my Stereo system setup in my office. The pictures show the Subwoofer at 90 Degrees to the listening position. This is important so you can minimize direct radiated sound from the subwoofer at the upper range of its frequency response affecting what you hear at the listening position.

(See attached image. Your subwoofer can go anywhere on the arc ... front / back / side ... it does not usually matter much. However, there can be a different interaction with the room in certain positions.)

* in my 7.1 System, I measure my Left Front, Left Surround, and Left Rear from my Left Ear to the front center of each driver.

* in my 7.1 System, I measure my Right Front, Right Surround, and Right Rear from my Right Ear to the front center of each driver.

* Since the Sub is facing 90 degrees to the side, I place a small flat object at the very front top center of the subwoofer cabinet. I use this to represent the position of the front & center position of the Sub Driver, You can use a flat object that will stand on its own in this position and measure from that point. I do not smoke, but an example might be a pack of cigarettes placed in this position broadside to your listening position.

* Set your AVR so all distances are now equal and match the actual distances of your speaker to you listening position.

* Calibrate your system to 83db reference level as per the SMPTE 200 standard.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Richard Casey
Digital Reference Standard ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
Mr Casey:
when you say "... the front center of the driver is within 1" (one inch) or LESS of your listening position."
please explain a little more of this.
My SW is already next (beside my legs) to my TV viewing couch. Is this near enough?

last weekend did all the calibration and SPL metering, but am I correct?

Im a little confused in this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7DEEA739-A0C9-4455-86F8-0F2E908266B9@hvc.rr.com.gif
Views:	147
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	479834   Click image for larger version

Name:	063E9C54-0685-4906-88BA-8069E5C631ED@hvc.rr.com.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	479842   Click image for larger version

Name:	52BA90BF-94A6-4AA2-82B6-D924D41B83BC@hvc.rr.com.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	479850  

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #699 of 704 Old 01-15-2015, 08:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post
Hi,

The simple answer is that your system is not wired correctly.

This is what that test is designed to show you.
If that were the case, why would it work correctly during the 5.1 test? In 5.1, all speakers play the test tone exactly as they should. Its when I perform the 7.1 test things get funny. That's when the FL and SL play together. If they were wired together they would play together even in 5.1 mode. It seems like the PS3 or receiver is making some kind of matrix between the FL and SL (like an Audyssey front wide speaker, although my system doesn't support it).

I worked around this by setting the FL, FR, C, SL, and SR in 5.1, then switching over to 7.1 for SBL and SBR only.
post #700 of 704 Old 01-16-2015, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
System, Speaker and SW setup

Mr Casey
Thank you so much for your explanation.
Some time ago, I moved my HT to a different room. In the new one I have a much more controled parameters.
Used some sound diffusers and absorbers and the results were very pleasant.
Thanks again.
Aracguate
post #701 of 704 Old 02-17-2015, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
This morning I woke up at 4AM (), so I decided to calibrate my LN52A650 with the Disney WOW Blu-Ray. I set the Advanced Brightness and Advanced Contrast, then checked the White-Black Clipping scene. The latter showed the checkerboard patterns fading into the background well before the ideal settings in the middle, so I adjusted the settings until it looked good. I went back to the Advanced controls and they were off. Which is the correct one to use?
post #702 of 704 Old 05-20-2015, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
Is there a known issue with the subwoofer calibration in this disc? I first calibrated my speakers using an SPL meter with my receiver's native pink noises (HK AVR-3600). I then fired up my WoW disc and ran the subwoofer calibration (SPL meter required) and I got strange results. When running my receiver's test noises, I calibrated all speakers to 75db and subwoofer to 78db. When running WoW all my speakers would show 75db but the subwoofer would jump all the way to 89db.

Sadly WoW is the only calibration disc I own, so I only have my receiver's native pink noises and this disc's to take as a reference.

This is my meter:

http://www.amazon.com/MASTECH-MS6700...ch+sound+meter
post #703 of 704 Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

I think the sub signal (LFE?) is boosted by 10db over the other channels. . That's how I've set levels with the disc, and it seems right to me.
Coxis likes this.
post #704 of 704 Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post
I think the sub signal (LFE?) is boosted by 10db over the other channels. . That's how I've set levels with the disc, and it seems right to me.
Well that would certainly make sense considering my own calibration numbers. Thanks!
Reply Official AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disney by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page