Mirror Mirror (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 106 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Julia Roberts, Lily Collins, Armie Hammer, Nathan Lane, Mare Winningham, Michael Lerner, Danny Woodburn, Michael Klebba, Sean Bean
Directed by: Tarsem Singh Dhandwar
Music by: Alan Menken
Written by: Marc Klein & Jason Keller
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 26, 2012

"One bad apple"

Film Synopsis:

A scheming queen wants to marry a handsome prince, but he’s in love with Snow White, which triggers an epic battle of good vs. evil in re-imaging of one of the world’s most beloved fairytales.

My Take:

MIRROR MIRROR re-tells the classic fairytale of Snow White. After a beloved King vanishes, his ruthless wife seizes control of the kingdom and keeps her beautiful 18-year-old stepdaughter, Snow White, hidden away in the palace. But when the princess attracts the attention of a charming and wealthy visiting prince, the Queen, seeking to have him for herself devises a dastardly plot which leaves Snow white stranded in the dark forest. Taken in by a band of renegade dwarfs, Snow White blossoms into a brave young woman determined to reclaim her birthright, win her Prince and restore tranquility to the land.

Anyone familiar with Tarsem’s penchant for visual storytelling will appreciate its integration in the context of this re-imaging. As far as the story itself goes there truly isn’t anything here that we haven’t seen before. The script is written using a conjunctive comedic narrative that sort of works but can at times come off as distractingly campy. I never really found myself drawn in by queen’s evil, the love between Snow white and Prince Alcott or the bond between Snow White and her seven protectors. There isn’t any real suspense or sense of dread which leaves the characters, especially the queen, in the lurch. On the flip side the story is light, the dwarfs are interestingly different and likeable and there isn’t anything overtly bad about the film.

Julia Roberts’ take on the evil queen is fiendishly on target as is the always entertaining Nathan Lane in the role of her minion/lackey “Brighton”. Lily Collins is cute and charming but the jury is still out on her ability to handle the lead and Armie Hammer clearly doesn’t have the dashing charisma or comedic chops necessary to bring a character like this to life. Mirror Mirror will probably appeal more to younger viewers while leaving their parents nodding off. It fails to provide a conceptually fresh take on the classic fairytale which is a shame because in the hands of Tarsem it had lots more potential.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some fantasy action and mild rude humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Mirror Mirror comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.9 Mbps.

This high definition video presentation offers quality that is consistent with other newer release films that have been released on Blu-ray Disc. Blacks are strong, with deep gradations and dynamic highlights that look great when onscreen with mixed content. This is a dark film both thematically and aesthetically that contains a variety of sequences shot in low lit environs and uneven light. Shadow detail is excellent. Contrast and brightness aren’t overdriven which provides punch while preserving detail in dark and light elements onscreen. The color palette is limited and primarily makes use of reserved neutral tones and varying shades of gray and sepia that are rarely eye catching. When applied, primary colors stand out in stark contrast. Flesh tones follow suit with limited complexional variety that is consistent with the film’s visual aesthetic. Images are delineated and revealing of good textural nuance that enhances close ups. Long range shots aren’t resolved quite as well but appear dimensional. Resolution is excellent however the video isn’t always definitively resolved. Softer definition that appears innate to the photography is obvious but I wouldn’t define it as deleterious. A light veil of grain imparts a film like texture that is never intrusive. This is a solid high definition offering that mates well with the source material.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA soundtrack delivers smooth, sibilant free treble, tonally rich, crystalline dialogue, and diffused, room filling ambience. The front channels are seamlessly integrated with the surrounds tightly infused to create an immersive soundstage. This mix generates an enriching sound field that comes alive during active sequences as the sounds of galloping horses, surrounding forest attackers, and a room traversing dark beast invigorate the listening area while being augmented by palpably rich low frequency extension. It made for a fun surround sound experience that mated perfectly with the tone of the film.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Looking through the mirror – 13 minute featurette

• (HD) Prince and puppies – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) “I believe I can dance” Dance-Along – 11 minutes

• (HD) Mirror Mirror interactive storybook

• (HD) 5 deleted scenes

• (HD) Theatrical Tralier

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Mirror Mirror re-tells the classic fairytale of Snow White. In the hands of visionary director Tarsem it looks beautiful. Unfortunately its conventionally bland script and oddly infused comedy fails to capture the defining essence of the good vs. evil concept. It has merit but will probably appeal more to younger viewers than their older siblings and parents. In the end my reaction to it would best be described as lukewarm. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video quality and a fair supplemental offering that includes Blu-ray exclusives. This is a decent rental for the kids when they have friends over.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
"Snow way!" Nuff said.

biggrin.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Ralph,

I'm a little disappointed with your take on the movie. I was told to blind buy for the wife. She is a huge fan of Tarsem. However, I will sit through it and see if the visuals can overcome a bland script.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Ralph,
I'm a little disappointed with your take on the movie. I was told to blind buy for the wife. She is a huge fan of Tarsem. However, I will sit through it and see if the visuals can overcome a bland script.

Greetings,

I am also a Tarsem fan but this one came up short for me. I will be curious to hear your thoughts after you've seen it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I didn't think it was that bad. There were some things to enjoy and some to roll your eyes at. I agree with Ralph's AV grades and though I'll never own it or see it again, it was the technical side plus the fun few minutes throughout that made the mindless escape..ok! tongue.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

I didn't think it was that bad. There were some things to enjoy and some to roll your eyes at. I agree with Ralph's AV grades and though I'll never own it or see it again, it was the technical side plus the fun few minutes throughout that made the mindless escape..ok! tongue.gif

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Chewbacco. Glad you enjoyed Mirror Mirror..smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
After watching with the wife this weekend, I found it better than Immortals but still falling short of The Fall. The story is somewhat bland but as usually the visuals are breathtaking...sort of the story of Tarsem.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Liked: 16
had to watch this with the family,
it's made for kids for sure and the truth I thought it was a bit boring. I will not buy it or watch it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Mirror Mirror Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page