The Last Exorcism part II (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373637

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373637

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2013
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Feature running time: 89 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Ashley Bell, Julia Garner, Spencer Treat Clark, Louis Herthum
Directed by: Ed Gass-Donnelly
Music by: Michael Wandmacher
Written by: Ed Gass-Donnelly & Damien Chazelle
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 18, 2013

"The second coming…."

Film Synopsis:

Nell Sweetzer (Ashley Bell) is back in the relative safety of civilization and sent to live in a group home where she’s encouraged to leave her past behind and start a new life. Just as Nell settles in, she is tormented by the seductive demonic presence that once possessed her. She realizes that the evil force is back with unimaginably horrific plans which could only mean that her last exorcism was just the beginning.

My Take:

Picking up where the first film left The last exorcism part II finds young Nell trying to pick up the pieces after the harrowing events that had previously befallen her. Hoping to settle in at a group home for girls she is encouraged by the staffer in charge to put her fears behind her, which she initially struggles with but finally does. With that she takes on a job as a maid at a local motel and even begins a romance with a young co-worker. Nell’s peace is short lived as she begins to have visions and feels the evil presence that once stalked and possessed her now trying to resume its hold. Here only hope lies in a local and secret society known as The Order of the right hand that has monitored her and is prepared to rid her of the demon forever. The questions is can Nell be saved?

I saw the first film in the theater and wasn’t crazy about it but found that it had a decent storyline and several viable elements of horror. The last exorcism part II is a poor follow up that leads with an uneven script that attempts to play more like a psychological horror/thriller but in reality comes off as dull and far from scary. I like Ashley Bell and similar to the first film think she gives a solid performance. The premise here of a demonic presence that has fallen in love with Nell and seeks to have its way with her sexually is just plain stupid. An hour into to the film I had check the time probably three times coming to realize that there was 30 minutes or so remaining and for all intent and purposes nothing had really happened yet. Once things get going in the last act the outcome is ridiculously predictable as we are left with an opening for yet another installment in a series called the LAST exorcism.

If you happened to like the first film and were hoping for a rewarding extension of that you are more than likely going to be disappointed with this pallid sequel follow up. I couldn’t help but feel that I just wasted 90 minutes that could have been better spent.

Parental Guide:

The film contains frightening images, brief language and thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

The last exorcism part II comes to Blu-ray disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This is a good looking high definition video presentation that is indicative of most new release films coming to Blu-ray. Images are resolved with appreciable detail that reveals plenty of visible texture during close up camera shots. The exterior pans of the rural locations featured in the story, offer lucid long range visuals and discernible levels of refinement. The film doesn’t utilize an extensive chromatic palette but tonal balance is on the money which leaves colors looking quite natural and pleasing. Fleshtones are on the pallid side but appear lifelike in depiction. White and black levels are appropriately balanced which provides punchy whites and stable blacks. I didn’t observe any deleterious video anomalies or artifacts.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack offers detail rich clarity while making use of the entire surround platform to support the film’s thematic elements. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. Dynamic range is robust which enriches the authority of low frequency effects contained in the mix. There isn’t perpetual use of the rear channels and subwoofer however when applied the effects are involving enough to elevate suspense. I had hoped for a more aggressive surround sound mix but it would be unfair to say that I was disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• *Exclusive* Audio commentary with director/co-writer Ed Gass-Donnelly & producer Eli Roth

• (HD) *Exclusive* Nell’s Story – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Shooting in New Orleans – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Hair salon scare (prank) – The last exorcism goes viral – 2 minutes

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Compared to 2010’s “The last exorcism” The last exorcism part II is a poor follow up that leads with an uneven script that attempts to play more like a psychological horror/thriller but in reality comes off as dull and far from scary. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring a solid high definition audio/video presentation but a noticeably lacking supplemental set although I must admit to finding the Hair Salon prank captured on video to be more entertaining than the film itself. Unless you’re already a fan this one is a pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I should have read your review before I reserved it..I thought the first one was kind of lame, but if this one was equal to it then I could live with it.
I'll just go in with even lower expectations.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Be sure to post back after you have seen it Warren. I'd love to get your take.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 06-22-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

SMH mad.gif..how do these movies get funded. They're worst than the original, filled with cheap scares, blatant predictability, and shallow characters. Part 3 is inevitable. Next time I'll look before I leap.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

SMH mad.gif..how do these movies get funded. They're worst than the original, filled with cheap scares, blatant predictability, and shallow characters. Part 3 is inevitable. Next time I'll look before I leap.

Greetings,

Sorry Warren. I feel your pain...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Sorry Warren. I feel your pain...

Regards,
And I feel yours Ralph...
Old 06-24-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm surprised the audio score isn't higher. There was an almost constant low frequency rumble that shook my room. It was barely audible, but clearly felt.
(Your sub should be more capable than mine, although I have small dedicated room.)

I agree totally with the movie review, however. The audio was the only saving grace for me.

Tags
The Last Exorcism Part Ii Blu Ray