AVS Forum banner

Chef (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Tags
frontpage
4K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  Ralph Potts 
#1 · (Edited)

Check out our review of this charming comedy about a chef who loses his restaurant job and starts up a food truck business in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 115 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Jon Favreau, John Leguizamo, Sofia Vergara, Scarlett Johansson, Dustin Hoffman, Bobby Cannavale, OliverPlatt, Amy Sedaris, Emjay Anthony, Robert Downey Jr.
Written & Directed by: Jon Favreau
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 30, 2014

"Starting from scratch never tasted so good"

My Take:

Gifted chef Carl Casper works at a trendy LA restaurant where he runs a tight ship with his team while sharing a frustrating relationship with the restaurant’s owner who finds it necessary to dictate decisions regarding the menu. Work keeps Carl busy which doesn’t leave much time for his son Percy, who lives with Carl’s ex-wife Inez, with whom he shares an amicable relationship. Percy longs for quality time with his dad but the time they spend together either revolves around Carl’s work or is cut short by it. When Carl suddenly quits his job after a blow out with his boss he finds himself on his own to pick up the pieces of his career. After accepting the offer to travel with Inez and Percy to Miami, Inez requests that Carl “help” her out my watching Percy while she works. Meanwhile Inez has requested a favor from her previous ex-husband that he assist Carl by hooking him up with a no frills food truck that he can use to start up a business. Carl and Percy obtain the broken down truck and along with the help pf Carl’s best friend Martin get it fixed up and ready for service. Taking to the road, Carl reignites his passion for the kitchen and, along the way, makes a few discoveries that renew his zest for life.

I am a Jon Favreau fan and have enjoyed many of his films especially those that have found him behind the camera. You can add Chef to the list. This is a well-balanced dramedy with a charming flavor that revolves around the relationship between Carl and Percy. The drama never gets too heavy and flows naturally as it correlates to the narrative’s theme over the course of the film. There is a relevant essence to the story as we get an endearing perspective of a father and son who discover a kinship that blossoms over the course of a few weeks on the road. The laughs are equally appropriate, never rising to levels that transcend the scope of the subject matter but are sharp, witty and agreeable.

The cast is filled with notables and writer/director Favreau gives each of them a moment or two to shine. While there is little here that feels original that doesn’t prevent Chef from being a refreshing and feel good film that warms the heart, tickles the funny bone and makes for an entertaining way to spend an evening.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, including some suggestive references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Chef comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This is a great looking presentation that looks solid throughout. High definition detail is notable as images are firmly resolute with crisp edges, defining sharpness, and two dimensional perspective that enhances depth and dimension. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation and tonal warmth. Fleshtones appear descriptive with variable depth that enhances the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are stable and exhibit good dynamic range with discernable gradational highlights during darker scenes. This is a pleasing high definition transfer that looked great on my big screen.

The lossless audio presentation was quite good and easily rendered the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. The surrounds are active at times and were used to good effect for panning sound effects and reproducing music related ambience. The mix isn’t very aggressive but does create an enjoyable surround sound experience that perfect matched the tone of the film. Dialogue and front channel audio is delivered with excellent tonal variation and crystal clear sonics. I thought that this soundtrack sounded great

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) 7 deleted scenes
  • Feature commentary by writer/director Jon Favreau and producer Roy Choi
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

I thoroughly enjoyed Chef! It’s a small film with a refreshing and feel good essence that is made all the better by writer/director Jon Favreau’s penchant for good-natured and heartwarming comedies. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring gratifying high definition audio/video and a barebones supplemental package that consists of a handful of deleted scenes and a decent filmmaker commentary. Chef comes highly recommended and deserves a place at the top of your rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 15
#11 ·
Last June I went to Chicago to see my daughter get her MA in Multicultural Communication from DePaul. Lo and behold, Jon Favreau was the graduation speaker. "Chef" was mentioned many times during the ceremony, and TBH, I'd never heard of it.

Back in LA, I quickly forgot about it until I saw it listed locally. I was surprised it was still playing.

The Ms. and I went to see it, figuring fate had conspired to keep putting it in front of us. We thoroughly enjoyed it as did the 20 or so other folks on the cinema. Everyone clapped at the end. I can't remember that happening before in an LA movie house when I've been there.

Definitely worth seeing!

(...and we discussed buying a food truck...)

#12 · (Edited)
Check out our review of this charming comedy about a chef who loses his restaurant job and starts up a food truck business in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.
My wife and I have over 25 years combined in the culinary industry, I can't stomach most fictional food movies. But in this case, big props to Jon Favreau for working with Roy Choi and learning about the dynamics of a real kitchen, getting some decent knife skills, and some real culinary knowledg.. The insults, foul language, camaraderie, ego, fragility, and tension of kitchens I've worked in were all there. A bit toned down at times ;) , but still there. The food truck scenes did a wonderful job of showing three people working in and around each other in a tight space, I was reminded instantly of a small kitchen I worked in a long time ago where there was barely enough room to turn around.

Good stuff, you could tell he really got it. One of my favorite food movies.

I enjoyed the natural rhythm of the conversations, rarely did anything seem forced. The food pr0n was great, it was real food cooked on set and eaten by the crew. Even the pig was used as completely as possible.

Fantastic soundtrack, just loved the vibe it gives everything in the film.

Strangely I was pleased that they almost completely avoided some of the obvious "dramatic twists to add tension" that could have happened, and just kept the mostly happy mood.

Finally, the cornstarch thing... Been there, works great, but Gold Bond Medicated is better. :p

#14 ·
I watched this last night and REALLY enjoyed it, my kind of movie.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I'll be watching it again soon!

Reactions: Ralph Potts
#21 ·
What a great movie! Usually you see an all star cast like this and cringe because its almost always a flop, but this one surely isn't. So touching. Every scene is relevant and yet so casual and effortlessly executed (great directing) and filled with perfect natural acting (except for vergara in some instances, but we can easily forgive her ;)). The only thing you could nitpick (and my wife did) is maybe the casting choice of both of the chef's girl interests since they seem impossibly out of his league, but they manage to add to the 'warmth' :D

#27 ·
Thanks again Ralph. I really enjoyed the movie, but man, did it make me hungry. I watch it later in the evening, was a touch hungry when I started the movie, and didn't have a lot of food - big mistake. I've since made some Cuban sandwiches on a panini press.

#31 ·
Watched this Chef last night... wonderful! Thought the sound was great with all the slicing and dicing and sizzling and sandwich crunching. Some good tunes throughout. And agreed on the Chefs love interestet. However, I always enjoy a feast for the eyes and Sofia Vergara is certainly satisfying in that regard. Now, I need El Cubano Sandwich!

#32 ·
Watched it over this past weekend – it was just a good movie that the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed. I put it in the NF queue so long ago that I forgot who all was in it. When Scarlett, Dustin and Robert came on screen I said, “wow, forgot that they were in this…” Coincidentally, a buddy of mine happened to watch it this past weekend too and had the same thoughts as I did.

The ending was a little hokey, but all in all, just an overall good movie to watch.

#33 ·
Just watched this movie and it was very good...glad I added it to my que. However, it made me very hungry....all the food in the movie was very tasty looking.

#34 ·
Enjoyed it. Good watch. Decent soundtrack and video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.