AVS Forum banner

Deliver Us From Evil (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  thehun 
#1 ·

Check out our review of this horror/thriller about a New York police officer that investigates a series of bizarre crimes. He joins forces with an unconventional priest, schooled in the rites of exorcism, to combat the possessions that are terrorizing their city.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 118 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Eric Bana, Olivia Munn, Edgar Martinez, Sean Harris, Joel McHale
Directed by: Scott Derrickson
Music by: Christopher Young
Written by:Scott Derrickson & Paul Harris Boardman
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 28, 2014

"You haven’t seen true evil"

My Take:

Deliver Us From Evil tells the story of a New York police officer (Eric Bana) and unconventional priest Mendoza (Edgar Ramírez) who join forces to investigate a series of disturbing & inexplicable crimes. Together they must combat the possessions that are terrorizing their city before it’s too late.

Deliver us from evil[/i] is inspired by former NYPD Police Sergeant Ralph Sarchie and his memoir “Beware the night” where he discloses his investigation into incredible true crimes an inhuman evil that were never explained, solved, or understood except by Sarchie and his partner. The film is essentially a fictional account that revolves around Sarchie as it depicts a series of paranormal events that he encounters as part of his undercover anti-crime assignment in the 46th Precinct of the South Bronx. Initially unconvinced that there is any validity to the assertions of paranormal activity, Sarchie soon comes to face to face with the portending events which have begun to affect his personal life/family.

I was having a good time with Deliver us from evil during the first and early parts of the second act. There was plenty of spooky atmosphere and I liked the integration of the criminal investigations combined with elements of mystery/horror. Unfortunately the last half of the film comes off of the rails and descends into a series of conventional horror clichés that raise too many questions with respect to the credibility of Sgt. Sarchie’s experiences. Several plot points are left hanging and the wrap up doesn’t really make much sense (way too neat).

I thought the cast was fine although Eric Bana’s New York accent needs some work. I really liked Joel McHale and got a kick out his quips and rather excellent take on his character. I am an Olivia Munn fan so any excuse to see her is fine by me. Deliver us from evil is a bland yet serviceable horror film that has an interesting concept and lead character but fails to capitalize on its potential.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for bloody violence, grisly images, terror throughout, and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Deliver us from evil comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.2 Mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized design that is meant to create a visual aesthetic that supports its thematic elements. The predominating palette is limited with reserved chromatic saturation. Blacks are deep, with appreciable gradations and dynamic highlights that surface when onscreen with mixed light/dark content. This is a predominantly dark film that contains many sequences shot in low lit environs and natural lighting. While there is some loss of visibility in dark backgrounds contrast and brightness levels aren’t overdriven and work in tandem to preserve detail in dark and light elements onscreen. The applied filtering and cinematography have an effect on perceived resolution however images onscreen appear lucid and sharp. Close ups reveal lots of fine detail in the faces, hair and clothing worn by the cast members. Long range shots aren’t resolved quite as well but appear dimensionally satisfying. This is an excellent high definition presentation that is revealing of the high production elements used in the film.

I think this is a well-designed lossless audio presentation that plays well to the film’s thematic tone. It effectively uses the entire sound field to elicit reaction to sounds emanating from differing vantage points and off screen cues. The soundtrack’s recorded elements are enhanced by its rich clarity, and punchy dynamics that resonate through the room with tangible authority. Dialogue through the center channel is crystal clear and maintains a position of prominence within the front soundstage. The rear channels contain a mixture of spatial ambience as well as directional panning cues that effectively correlate with the events transpiring onscreen. This surround mix capably handles the subtle intricacies thrown at by this excellent soundtrack as it augments the elements of fright in this creepy film.

Bonus Features:
  • Audio commentary with director Scott Derrickson
  • (HD) Illuminating evil – 13 minute featurette
  • (HD) Deliver us from demons – 8 minute featurette
  • (HD) The two sergeants – 8 minute featurette
  • (HD) The demon detective – 9 minute featurette on Ralph Sarchie
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Inspired by real life former NYPD Sergeant Ralph Sarchie’s book “Beware the night” Deliver us from evil is a middling horror thriller that starts out well but fails to take the potential in its main character and concept to new places. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition audio/video and a fair supplemental package that includes background on the production and interviews with the cast/crew and Ralph Sarchie. Deliver us from evil is probably worth a rental especially on a rainy dark night when there isn’t much else available.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 16
#3 ·
When this first came out it looked better than Occulus and a lot more creepy. I saw Occulus and actually enjoyed it while this looks kind of cheesy to me now. It's really hard to pull off Catholicism based mythology without coming off as cheesy. And I'm afraid this will fall into the cheesy category.

And is it just me or do a lot of foreign actors seem to do New York accents when playing Americans?

#7 ·
I'm with Ralph on this as far as the movie's weakness's. Yes it did have potential, and started out interesting, including
that it starts in Iraq, much like the Exorcist, though the connection to that country is direct in this case
,but quickly disintegrated by the last act. Still it might hold a thrill or two to some. YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.