AVS Forum banner

John Wick (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Tags
frontpage
20K views 242 replies 97 participants last post by  SuperFist 
#1 · (Edited)

Check out our review of this action thriller about an ex-hitman who comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: LionsGate - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Willem Dafoe, Michael Nyqvist, Alfie Allen, Adrienne Palicki, Dean Winters, Ian McShane, John Leguizamo, Bridget Moynahan
Directed by: Chad Stahelski
Music by: Tyler Bates
Written by: Derek Kolstad
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 3, 2015

"Don’t set him off…!"

My Take:

When sadistic young thugs senselessly attack John Wick – a brilliantly lethal ex-assassin – they have no idea that they’ve just awakened the boogeyman. With New York City as his bullet-riddled playground, Wick embarks on a merciless rampage, hunting down his adversaries with the skill and ruthlessness that made him an underworld legend.

Keanu Reeves has managed to keep his career moving and for the most part in a positive direction. I like him and own many of his films, especially those in the action/thriller genre. I never thought of him as much of a leading man/tough guy until “Speed” although “Point Break” certainly was a precursor to that. I have to admit that the trailers for John Wick didn’t leave me impressed enough to take it in at the theater so I opted to wait for the opportunity to review it on Blu-ray.

I did hear positive things about it from a few that saw it however sitting down to watch I kept my expectations in check. My wife who is not a fan of the genre opted to watch with me so off we went. Let’s start with the obvious, any fan of the action genre should have no trouble predicting how a film like John Wick will play out, and I didn’t. The screenplay doesn’t dig very deep, providing a surface level storyline that ticks all the right boxes in support of the thematic plot points. It opens with the end and plays back the events leading up to that point before finishing with the closing.

Predictable? Yes it is. Fun to watch? You bet. John Wick may be formulaic in tone but there is a freshness to it that draws from its text which exudes a slick, stylish essence which at times has the feel of a graphic novel. With NY City serving as its backdrop the depiction of its underworld and over the top characterizations blended with the “boogeyman” urban legend appeal of John Wick works quite well.

The action, especially the fight choreography and attention to detail used in the gunfight exchanges, is top notch and engaging. The use of visual effects is kept to a minimum in favor of excellent stunt work which adds to the appeal. I like the direction which keeps focus on point without overemphasizing the elements of action/drama. There are probably one or two characters that could have been omitted and seemed frivolous. If I had one nit to pick with the script it’s the final exchange which almost seemed as though screenwriter Derek Kolstad tossed together because he couldn’t come up with anything better. It certainly wasn’t supported by the events that led up to it but it didn’t taint the film.

John Wick turned out to be better than expected and left the door open for more to come from a character who may have just breathed new life into the career of Keanu Reeves. Oh, my wife sat through it and commented that it “wasn’t bad” until the very end (not the sequence I referred to but just after) which she found “convenient”. Coming from her I would consider “wasn’t bad” high praise…

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence throughout, language, and brief drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 86

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

(For details on the new rating system for Dolby Atmos please refer to my article Dolby Atmos has come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews)

John Wick comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 6.6 Mbps.

This film’s elements aren’t lent to overly vibrant colors and high gloss video quality. Images tend to lean toward darker chromatic elements and teal splashed grading that provide the look that the filmmakers strive for to drive the story’s elements. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is quite good and revealing of subtle details within dark backgrounds and low lighting sequences which gave those scenes better visual depth. Stable contrast and black levels allow scenes containing mixed content to appear dynamic with punchy dark highlights. Detail is rendered quite well with crisp textures and definitive resolution that brings forth subtle nuance within images onscreen. Colors are limited to darker tones with occasional splashes of vivid hues which stand out nicely against the film’s dark visual aesthetic.

The 7.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack doesn’t disappoint and sounds terrific. This is an active audio presentation that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is quite good as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated. Sound effects traverse the room during the large fight sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and clarity. This is an aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its potent dynamics. The result is that all points of contact seem to resonate with tactile low bass impact. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting low frequency energy. Dialogue has refining presence with clear vocal character and excellent room penetration. This is an entertaining audio presentation that compliments the film while making for an excellent home theater experience.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the less aggressive variety especially during the film’s first two acts. Its use of audio objects placed above is limited to atmospherics such as falling rain and musical enhancement. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. During the third act the use of discrete placed objects is ramped up during the action as a chase sequence places you inside the colliding vehicles. There is a helicopter flyover, flying glass and whizzing bullets that pan the soundstage both above and at ear level that sound great. While this mix doesn’t make constant use of discretely placed audio objects from above, I enjoyed the effectiveness of the added dimension during the early parts of the film and thought that overall it made for a solid Dolby Atmos presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Don’t F*#% with John Wick – 15 minute featurette
  • (HD) Calling in the cavalry – 12 minute featurette
  • (HD) Destiny of a collective – 6 minute featurette
  • (HD) Assassin’s Code – 5 minute featurette
  • (HD) Red Circle – 6 minute featurette
  • (HD) NYC Noir – 6 minute featurette
  • * Exclusive *Filmmaker Audio Commentary
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

John Wick doesn’t reinvent the genre wheel but capitalizes on the entertainment factor with an entertaining blend of stylized action and well executed production elements that give it a fresh appeal. It comes to Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video quality and rewarding lossless surround sound that includes a Dolby Atmos mix and 7.1 TrueHD core that compliments the film’s elements quite nicely. Add its decent supplemental package and John Wick deserves serious consideration for a place in your Blu-ray collection. Pass the popcorn!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 21
#2 ·
another Blind buy!!

thanks Ralph!! glad an actual good movie and not just mindless fun has graced us with atmos :)

#6 ·
Yeap. One of the best action movies of the year. Had some good laughs in it too, even if it was a serious movie. I hope they make a 2nd.

#5 ·
Thank you for the great review Ralph. I am always excited to see comments like “fresh” when encountering a new action movie. Unfortunately, new ideas don’t always translate to revenue for the movie studios so we find ourselves drowning in reboots, sequels and prequels. I very much look forward to checking out John Wick, especially after your terrific review.

I am also extremely please to see this released in Atmos. My only caveat is that being a Lionsgate release, rental disks will probably omit anything but standard 5.1. Then again, this disk may have enough goods to warrant a purchase. :)

#10 ·
Great review Ralph, this movie goes on my Netflix queue right away!

I've got one question for you regarding the different ratings that you gave for the Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtracks. You rated the latter higher than the former but if all the hype about Atmos is true, then it is supposed to make the listening experience better. So intuitively I would have expected the Atmos soundtrack to get the higher rating. I'm obviously missing something so I wonder whether you can comment on this apparent discrepancy. This is one of the first reviews of yours that I've seen that compares these two types of soundtracks, so I'm just trying to educate myself!

Thanks again for a great review.

Cal68

#11 · (Edited)
Nice review sir! I was already considering purchasing it, but now with your review and confirmation of an Atmos mix, I'm in for day one purchase.

Did you notice in the screenshot John Wick appears to be wearing a turtleneck, but the Blu-Ray cover he has on a tie? Or maybe it's just so dark you cannot see the tie, hmmm.

Also, does anyone know if the VUDU digital version has an Atmos mix or strictly Dolby Digital / +?

#13 ·
Great review, Ralph! I have had my eye on this one for a while and will definitely purchase it. My first Atmos Blu Ray!

Reactions: Ralph Potts
#29 ·
I watched this movie in the theaters and really like it. It will be a blind buy for me.
Hopefully, when I re-installed my HT in DC I will enjoy it at its full glory with a dolby atmos setup.

#31 ·
LOVED this movie. My son and I saw this at Alamo Drafthouse in Kansas City. It was a "live" screening, in the sense that after the credits, the screen cut to the Archlight in Hollywood, where Keanu, both directors, writer and producer were on stage for a live Q&A. They took questions from the moderator and via twitter (from all participating theaters).

Yes, they are thinking of a sequel....or what the writer suggested was a prequel. Remember the line about killing X men with a pencil...the writer said he has some great ideas for the origin of John Wick. That would be pretty cool.

The other comments of interest was the fact the director has been Keanu's stunt double for years and knows what he is capable of as stunt man, martial artist and term they used "gun-fu" artist too. So many of the stunts were done by Keanu himself, hence the fact the action scenes were longer cuts vs quick jump cuts to hide the fact the actor isn't actual doing the fight or stunt work. In fact, Keanu is so good, they didn't choreograph some of the action sequences. They would come in and take look at the set they were working in and come up with ideas on the spot, take about ten minutes to work through them and start shooting the action scene or fight.

We really enjoyed the movie and loved the Q&A. Well worth a rental, but this is a must buy for our house. We'll have a group of the boys from the office over for a pizza and beer showing.

Thanks for the review Ralph.

Ron

#33 ·
Great review Ralph and I've read other great reviews online. Heck I bought Ninja Turtlesbecause it had an Atmos track...so I'll certainly be buying this one.

#35 · (Edited)
Great review, Ralph. If there are a few points I would disagree on, they would be that I loved the choice for the ending and I would rate the audio with a 100 score. Not only is this movie exceptionally entertaining, but it's soundtrack is a veritable audio feast! Dynamics and bass extension are off the hook. I suspect the Dolby Atmos crowd is going to be very pleased with the mix. John Wick doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it will have you walking away with a new found appreciation for it. This was going to be a day 1 buy for me, but now I'm holding out for the just announced Asian steelbook!

#41 ·
Now I know which is going to be the first Dolby Atmos BD I'm going to own. :D

Thanks for the illustrative (spoiler-free) review and analysis!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.