AVS Forum banner

Predestination (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Tags
frontpage
5K views 64 replies 40 participants last post by  RedLefty 
#1 ·

Check out our review of this mind-bending sci-fi thriller that follows a time-traveling Temporal Agent on his final assignment, wherein he must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Noah Taylor, Sarah Snook
Written & Directed by: The Spierig Brothers based on the short story “All you zombies” by Robert A. Heinlein
Music by: Peter Spierig
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 10, 2015

"To save the future he must protect the past"

My Take:

Based on the short story "All You Zombies" by Robert A. Heinlein, Predestination chronicles the life of a Temporal Agent (Ethan Hawke) sent on an intricate series of time-travel journeys designed to ensure the continuation of his law enforcement career. Now, on his final assignment, the Agent must recruit his younger self while pursuing the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time.

Predestination is a clever sci-fi experience that takes a lesser and better approach built upon a semi-mind bending storyline that shifts, reveals, shifts/reveals again before uncorking its final twist. The clues are there but not necessarily obvious as the film truly isn’t meant to be a mystery. Derived as more of an atmospheric sci-fi drama/thriller the pacing can be a bit uneven but the level of intrigue supersedes any narrative gaps appearing up front as the answers/payoff comes later. There is an engaging sense of style to both the production elements and screenplay that is enhanced by the solid performances by Hawke and most notably Sarah Snook who carries the film singlehandedly.

Trippy, interesting, and abounding in rich thematic context, Perdestination is a surprisingly good film. It never overplays its hand while peeling back the layers of its gimmick free, sci-fi time travel plot that engages at nearly every turn. I won’t give away any details other than to say, it’s not what you think!

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, some sexuality, nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Predestination comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This is a great looking video presentation that has a clean, filmic appearance that falls just shy of the definitive delineation offered by the best high definition available on Blu-ray Disc. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. Brightly lit segments are punchy with crisp dynamic whites and appreciable texture. Colors aren’t overly engaging as the palette is limited to sepia tones and drab secondary hues that don’t offer much to catch the eye. Rendering is excellent though and the balance is kept in proper focus which mates well with the films overall visual perspective. Fleshtones are tonally divergent and appear lifelike in depiction. Blacks are rich/dynamic and shadow detail is quite good which reveals plenty of visible delineation in dark backgrounds and low lighting. I didn’t detect any deleterious artifacts or other video related anomalies.

The is a solid DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack that features crystal clear dialogue, powerful dynamics and a subtly aggressive and involving surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds that created a realistic and occasionally immersive listening environment. This worked hand in hand with film’s music, and thematic elements to build tension and help drive the story. The potency of small arms fire as well as the low frequency burst associated with the time travel “jumps” hits hard and sounds awesome. Be sure to turn this one up a few notches.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Bloopers – 2 minutes
  • (HD) A journey through time – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) All you zombies: Bringing Predestination to life (10 part documentary):
    1. Introduction
    2. Casting
    3. Pre-production
    4. Photography – weeks 1 - 6
    5. Post-Production

Final Thoughts:

Based on the short story "All You Zombies" by Robert A. Heinlein, Predestination is a trippy, interesting and thematically rich sci-fi film that makes for a compelling viewing experience. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, rewarding lossless sound quality and a complimentary supplemental package that takes an in-depth look behind the scenes at the film’s production. Predestination is a must see for those that enjoy a film that thinks outside of the box.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 17
#4 ·
As always, Thanks Ralph. I thought about importing this from Australia, but decided not to spend the cash when I saw a Feb release date here in the states.

The trailer looks awesome, your review has got me interested in definite blind buy. For those who want to check it out as a rental, redbox will be carrying this title on the release date.

Ron

#21 ·
Glad you enjoyed it Ralph, I took a chance on a Blind buy with this one and hope I like it just as much.
You're on the roll with the four dot ratings Ralph, gotta check this one out as well. Hope it's better than the Nightcrawler. ;)
Greetings,

I hope that you guys enjoy this one. Be sure to post back after you've seen it.. :)

Regards,

#8 ·
UV digital copy?

Ralph,

Do you know if the BD copy includes a UV digital copy? I prefer to buy the BD for the obvious A/V quality differences, and this movie is on VUDU as UV-capable... but there isn't anything on the BD cover indicating that a UV digital copy is included. I like to add my movies to my UV-collection so all the TV's around the house can view the movie in less critical viewing, without the need for BD players everywhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

#9 ·
Ralph,

Do you know if the BD copy includes a UV digital copy? I prefer to buy the BD for the obvious A/V quality differences, and this movie is on VUDU as UV-capable... but there isn't anything on the BD cover indicating that a UV digital copy is included. I like to add my movies to my UV-collection so all the TV's around the house can view the movie in less critical viewing, without the need for BD players everywhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Greetings,

It doesn't include a UV copy (at least there is no indication of one).

Regards,

#22 ·
Thank you brother Ralph,great review! This one flew under the radar for me as I don't go to movies any more.
If you ever take a Maui vacation I would love to have you over for a movie and a meal! I so enjoy your reviews!
Aloha!!!!,JB
Greetings,

Thanks so much for the gracious invitation olinda cat. I may take you up on it... ;)

Regards,

#16 ·
I recently saw this.

Completely unknown until I spotted a trailer, I was surprised at how good it was.

I think I'll pick this one up on Blu Ray.

#18 ·
Absolutely amazing performance. Blew me away!!!

#26 ·
Once again the trailer is misleading quite a bit, this is not a fast paced time travel flick with lots of action so if that's what you expecting you might be disappointed. No cliched dystopian backdrop either that plagues today's Sci/fi films in many cases, though it does kind of use an "alternative universe" as there is no connection to actual historical events.Anyway this is one of those films that tries to mess with your head, as it slowly peels off the layers. Special mention to Sarah Snook she really carry this movie, even though she's not the "star" of it. Hawke is good as well, and so is Taylor, but the real star still was the story and the way it was told. I'm glad I saw this. Thanks Ralph for the recommendation on this.

Reactions: Djoel
#32 ·
After the first minutes the movie seemed to be a Looper clone which is not the case. It is a little story which involves timetravel. I had to read to story online after i saw the movie because i did not fully understood what was going on. And even afer that i have some problem understanding its logic.

John is the cause of his own birth and has to travel back in time and have sex with himself (Jane, who grows up as a woman, turns out to be a hermaphrodite, becomes a man after a seks change operation and after a her/his face gets severely burned she gets the face, and voice, of John) ) from the past, giving birth to a child who travels back in time and grows up to become them. The result is a causality loop which takes the ‘chicken or egg’ dilemma to a whole new level. It is important to also realize that a temporal causality loop exists separate from ordinary space-time, and while time repeats itself within the closed loop, for those people outside the predestination paradox time continues in a normal manner.:confused:

The story is about a snake that bites his own tale. It is about a temporal agent who goes back in time to solve problems. But somehowe he is trapped within a closed loop in time.
http://www.astronomytrek.com/predestination-2014-explained/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.