AVS Forum banner

Horrible Bosses 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

803 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Ralph Potts 
#1 ·

Check out our review of this sequel to 2011’s “Horrible Bosses". Nick, Dale and Kurt decide to become their own bosses by launching a business. After a slick investor deceives them, they hatch a misguided plan to get their company back.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 108/116 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Aniston, Chris Pine, Christoph Waltz, Kevin Spacey
Directed by: Sean Anders
Music by: Christopher Lennertz
Written by: Sean Anders & John Morris
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 24, 2015

"New crime, same tools…"

My Take:

Fed up with answering to higher-ups, Nick (Bateman), Dale (Day) and Kurt (Sudeikis) decide to become their own bosses by launching their own business with the invention of The Shower Buddy. Looking to find a quick and easy means of distribution they turn to a wealthy investor who makes easy work of deceiving them in his own favor. Outplayed and desperate, and with no legal recourse, the three would-be entrepreneurs hatch a misguided plan to kidnap the investor’s adult son and ransom him to regain control of their company.

My reaction to “Horrible Bosses” would be best described as tepid so when Horrible Bosses 2 was announced I wasn’t overjoyed however the trailer did give me hope. The addition of Chris Pine, Christoph Waltz and Jamie Foxx certainly didn’t hurt. I went into the review with low expectations opting to let me fondness for the cast take precedence. As it turns out I had a pretty good time and would say that overall Horrible Bosses 2 was a bit more fun than its predecessor. The dialogue, buffoonery and interaction between the three leads, is at times, laugh out loud ridiculous. The crass situational humor is typically over the top but chuckle worthy.

I am not so certain that it was necessary to bring Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Spacey back. Each is given a moment to take center stage but really feels more like an add on rather than a natural part of the storyline. Pine and Waltz are pretty spot on while Foxx’s contribution feels more tossed like Aniston/Spacey, tossed in. As you might expect Horrible Bosses 2 falls deeply into the stupid funny motif but succumbing to its nonsensical, formulaic wiles makes for a fairly entertaining madcap comedy. My guess would be that if you enjoyed “Horrible Bosses” than Horrible Bosses 2 will work for you also. As for me and my wife, we had an enjoyable evening with it, warts and all.

Warner has included both the theatrical and extended cut which adds an additional eight minutes to the original runtime.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong crude sexual content and language throughout.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Horrible Bosses 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

High definition detail is notable as images are firmly resolved, with defining sharpness and two dimensional depth. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation tonal warmth and vibrant textures. This is especially apparent during the sequences shot in the various Las Vegas venues featured in the film. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements.

The lossless soundtrack doesn’t consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is conveyed with little fanfare. However there are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but for a comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn’t leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:
  • Theatrical and Extended versions of the film
  • (HD) Endless laughter guaranteed! – 17 minute feeaturette
  • (HD) Let the sexual healing begin – 2 minute faux infomercial
  • (HD) Who invented the Shower Buddy feature
  • (HD) Nick Kurt Dale INC: Employee Testimonials – 2 minutes
  • (HD) It’s The Shower Buddy – Infomercial
  • (HD) High Speed Crash Course – 3 minute production featurette
  • (HD) Off the cuff: One liners you didn’t see (13 snippets)
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Horrible Bosses 2 is the follow up to 2011’s “Horrible Bosses” and proves to be every bit as silly while improving upon the former’s chuckle factor. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring solid technical merits mated with a solid supplemental package that is worth checking out for fans. Horrible Bosses 2 succeeds on the strength of its cast and an acceptable script which more often than not is funny enough to keep you chuckling along. Give a rent on Blu-ray when everyone is over for a few beers.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 15
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.