AVS Forum banner

Birdman (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Tags
frontpage
7K views 125 replies 52 participants last post by  gwsat 
#1 · (Edited)

Check out our review of this unusual, entertaining and award-winning drama/comedy about a washed-up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, who now battles his ego while attempting to recover his family, his career and himself in the days leading up to the opening of a Broadway play.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 119 minutes
Genre: Drama/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Naomi Watts, Emma Stone, Amy Ryan, Andrea Riseborough, Zach Galifianakis
Directed by: Alejandro G. Inarritu
Music by: Antonio Sanchez
Written by: Alejandro G. Inarritu, Nicholas Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris Jr., Armando Bo
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 17, 2015

"The unexpected virtue of ignorance"

My Take:

Directed, written and produced by Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birdman tells the story of Riggan Thomson (Michael Keaton) a washed-up Hollywood actor famous for playing the superhero Birdman in blockbuster movies decades earlier. Riggan is tormented by the voice of and presence of Birdman, who often criticizes him. In addition Riggan he sees himself performing feats of levitation and telekinesis. Riggan hopes to reinvigorate his career by writing, directing, and starring in a Broadway adaptation of Raymond Carver's short story "What we talk about when we talk about love". The play is produced by Riggan's best friend and lawyer Jake (Zach Galifianakis), and also stars Riggan's girlfriend Laura (Andrea Riseborough) and first-time Broadway actress Lesley (Naomi Watts). Riggan's daughter Sam (Emma Stone), a recovering addict, serves as his assistant. Things quickly unravel when Riggan adds Mike (Edward Norton) a well-regarded and unpredictable method actor to the cast.

Birdman is a tough film to digest let alone summarize. Most definitely a character driven affair that is at its heart, a dark comedy that utilizes a rather unusual narrative style. I think this both benefits and impinges upon the film’s context which eschews romance and melodrama in favor of an interpretive, surrealistic yarn that proves intriguing and potentially frustrating. Be that as it may the reality blended with fiction perspective works as you’re taken on a multifaceted journey of crisis and transformation as Riggan leads you down the rabbit hole supported by a cache of characters that each has an integral part to play.

The farcical nature of the proceedings are enhanced by the slick one take flow and superlative cinematography all of which is underpinned by the use a less than traditional music score which consists of only jazz drumming. There is no denying that Birdman feels conceptually original. This is enhanced by the amazing performances by the ensemble cast, especially Michael Keaton in the titles role. I can’t say that I found the film’s ending to be wholly gratifying especially in light of the questions and sketchy answers raised throughout however I believe that is exactly what was intended. Birdman isn’t my favorite of the Oscar nominees for Best Picture, however there is no denying its worth as a creative gem.

The film has enamored critics and audiences alike with its technical achievements and captivating performances from an all-star ensemble cast, which include Zach Galifianakis, Edward Norton, Andrea Riseborough, Amy Ryan, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts, as well as breathtaking cinematography from Academy Award-winner Emmanuel Lubezki. I believe that a repeat viewing, if only to glean more from the wonderful performances, is in order and will bear fruit. I look forward to it….

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language throughout, some sexual content, and brief violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Birdman comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

This is a high bitrate encode that looks solid throughout. Detail is exemplary as images look clean, sharp, three dimensional and lifelike. I never felt that video was lacking in terms of depth or the perception of visible detail within the parameters of the structure of objects seen onscreen. Colors were reproduced with balanced tonality and deeply saturated and eye catching primaries. Fleshtones appeared natural with complexional variation and subtle texture that varied among the differing skin types of the cast members. Blacks were a solid shade of deep black and exhibited excellent dynamic range. Images were pristinely rendered and appeared free of compression related artifacts.

This film relies heavily on its soundtrack to help convey the story’s elements the DTS-HD Master Audio sound mix handles it with aplomb. This is a crystal clear encoding that renders excellent reproduction of the soundtrack’s recording which augments the presence of low level off camera cues/sounds as well as punctuating those that are meant to be in your face. Antonio Sanchez’s eclectic drum score sounds terrific. The limited action is coupled with sharply mixed low frequency effects that resonate with palpable authority. Dialogue is appreciably textured with discernible tonal character and excellent room penetration. The surrounds are appropriately engaged to heighten the experience. I love the film’s use of near field sounds and panning sweeps which are accurately rendered with respect to the events transpiring onscreen. Additionally there is plenty of atmospheric ambience and directionality that provide a noteworthy sense of envelopment. I found this to be an entertaining audio presentation that accents the film.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Birdman: All-access – 33 minute behind the scenes look
  • (HD) *Exclusive* A conversation with Michael Keaton and Alejandro G. Inarritu – 14 minutes
  • [/b](HD)[/b] Gallery: Chivo’s on-set photos
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

From visionary director/co-wroter Alejandro G. Inarritu, Birdman is a captivating and conceptually refreshing film that challenges audiences to step into its interpretive world. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, a terrific DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound track and a fair supplemental offering that includes insights from the filmmakers/cast as well as a glimpse behind the scenes. Birdman has enamored critics and audiences alike and is most definitely a must see film. Taking it for a spin on Blu-ray only makes the experience all the better.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7702 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 16
#3 ·
I just watched this last night. I'd have to agree it was definitely original. It would get my vote for best editing, best cinematography and best actor (Michael Keaton) at tonight's Oscar's. Best film? Probably not.

Edit: It would be fun to do some kind of Oscar pool here at AVS with prize giveaways! (maybe next year?)

#7 ·
I saw Birdman in the Theater and really liked it, 8 Stars out of 10. Like Ralph I was somewhat put off by its, what I will call for lack of a better word, weirdness. Also like Ralph, I want to see it again. I have a hunch that the film contains some good stuff I overlooked the first time. Anyway, Birdman is a unique motion picture experience, which no movie buff should miss.

Reactions: audiofan1
#8 ·
lovely film. I hope it wins best picture.

The sound is great. Really makes noticable but judicial use of surround sound.

#10 · (Edited)
I love your reviews
I watched it and wasn't that thrilled about it I continued watching it but OMG. I just couldn't get into it I just did not like that drumming....it. was original to say the least....
The imitation game and the Theory of everything, Grand Budapest hotel (fun movie) were way better as far as nominated films go IMHO.

#11 ·
Birdman best picture congratulations. Sorry still wasn't impressed but what do I know LOL

#12 ·
I'm very glad that 'Birdman' won, and big time too, because it was the most entertaining flick this year. ...And that drummer was just simply marvelous.
Batman is Birdman, and what a great performance it was by all, not just by Michael.

This flick was a lot of fun to enter in and get along for the ride. ...And that, it's what it's all about.

Congrats Birdman, and the entire crew, plus that music that I loved so much; the drummer. ...Very well recorded too ♪

#13 ·
This was one of those movies that I just did not get! I liked Michael Keaton's acting for the most part, and the drumming was great. The ending was intriguing and we discussed it after the movie, but that was about it. I've seen most of the other pictures that were nominated for the best picture Oscar and I liked all of them more than Birdman. As I said, this is one guy who just did not get it!

Cal68

#14 ·
I watched Birdman and I liked it a bunch. I think I will have to sit down with it one more time and watch it. Feel like there are thing I may have missed the first time around. And the drumming, like everyone else I like that a lot.

Don't know if I would say the movie is worth the top Oscar, but entertaining none the less.

#15 ·
I agree with the 4/5 rating for the movie. It was pretty good but not as good as the hype led me to believe. I can't believe this won best picture. Oh wait, yes I can because the Academy usually awards an undeserving film best picture. I've so far seen only one of the other nominees (Grand Budapest Hotel) and it was without hesitation a superior movie to me as were a handful of other movies I watched which got snubbed for a nomination.

#16 ·
I agree with the 4/5 rating for the movie. It was pretty good but not as good as the hype led me to believe. I can't believe this won best picture. Oh wait, yes I can because the Academy usually awards an undeserving film best picture.
Yeah, I always wonder how much various stages of politics and other factors play in it, especially at this award level. Either way, I've not seen this film yet so can't really comment on it, but it's out for delivery, so I'll likely see it before the week is out.

Thanks for the review of Birdman on blu-ray, Ralph! :cool:

#17 · (Edited)
Looks like I won't be seeing Birdman on BD because Redbox, in another of it frequent examples of cluelessness, only has it on DVD. Makes perfect sense to fail to order the Best Picture Oscar winner on BD, right? Yuk. Oh well, at least I got to see it in the theater.

#19 · (Edited)
A lot of people on here are home theater enthusiasts..and that's about it. They know how to pick out some gear and talk about it, but they have no idea what a great film is and what it represents.

This is one of the best and most original films I've ever seen. The directing, acting, writing, cinematography and everything else was phenomenal. This movie is basically Keaton's career in real life. Antonio Sanchez provided an absolutely incredible score as well. That drumming is tension and its supposed to mimic what Thomson is feeling/hearing in his head.

This film follows a man's emotions, aspirations, a chance to prove himself. The camera takes us into Thomson's mind and we experience his emotions as if we were there. It explores relationships, self-confidence, generation, and loss to name a few themes. This film takes a giant risk and it absolutely succeeded.

I'm not saying that "The Theory Of Everything" or "The Imitation Game" are bad films by any means, but we know what we're going to get with these types of films. Good performances mostly, a score filled with string instruments, etc. (obviously not ALL biopics fit these categories). Look at "Foxcatcher" as an example. Great film.

I understand that some movies aren't for everyone. I get that, but just open your mind a little more and try and see what's being done with a film like "Birdman."

#23 ·
I liked Birdman a great deal (although it's probably not everyone's cup of tea) but of the nominated films that I saw, I thought that Whiplash, The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game were better. I suspect that a lot of Birdman's appeal was that it seemed to mirror Michael Keaton's career in some ways. He was excellent but he was almost playing himself in a way. Another movie that wasn't even nominated and I felt was superior to Birdman was Gone Girl, a terrific crime thriller with an amazing, career making performance by Rosemund Pike. When Birdman was announced you could tell that the acclaim wasn't universal. I'm sure that many in the audience were pulling for and were sure that Boyhood would get the nod.

And Master Audio, I did understand everything that Birdman was and was trying to do. I just happened to like the other films more.
Greetings,

Thanks for sharing guys. You both make excellent points.. ;)

Regards,

#20 · (Edited)
I liked Birdman a great deal (although it's probably not everyone's cup of tea) but of the nominated films that I saw, I thought that Whiplash, The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game were better. I suspect that a lot of Birdman's appeal was that it seemed to mirror Michael Keaton's career in some ways. He was excellent but he was almost playing himself in a way. Another movie that wasn't even nominated and I felt was superior to Birdman was Gone Girl, a terrific crime thriller with an amazing, career making performance by Rosemund Pike. When Birdman was announced you could tell that the acclaim wasn't universal. I'm sure that many in the audience were pulling for and were sure that Boyhood would get the nod.

And Master Audio, I did understand everything that Birdman was and was trying to do. I just happened to like the other films more.

#25 ·
Like you, I liked Birdman a lot but liked several other films more, including but not limited to The Imitation Game, The Grand Budapest Hotel,and Gone Girl, which to the Academy's shame did not receive a Beat Picture nomination. It's very important that they be politically correct, don't you see? Yuk! I think Birdman won because of its artistry, originality, and remarkable performances. The performances, of course, were helped by the film's Oscar winning screenplay.

#21 ·
Ralph, this is a definite for my NF queue. I just get the feeling it is one of those movies you have to be in the 'right mood' to watch and hopefully, I will be. After your review, I am damn curious to watch it now. Looks like my NF queue will be filling up with the named movies (other than Budapest Hotel which I saw and thoroughly enjoyed).

#31 ·
When I ranked the best picture nominees this year I had this a distant 8th and gave it a 3/10 on IMDB. I recognize the creative presentation and the excellent acting but the film utterly failed to connect with me. From about 1/4 of the way in I couldn't wait for it to end. I just did not care about those characters, what they were doing, or why they were doing it. Obviously, this is only my opinion. I'm happy for those that got something meaningful out of this or just like it for whatever reason, but I'm not one of them.

For some context, my personal top 4 (among films actually nominated) this year were:

4) Selma
3) American Sniper
2) Boyhood
1) Whiplash

I have various reasons for ranking them like that but this thread is probably not the best place to share them =)

#40 ·
I agree that undertaking a starring role on Broadway would be a daunting task. The very idea of doing eight shows a week for God knows how long makes my blood run cold. It's hard work, to say the least. The folks who do it don't have to prove their love of the theater to me.

Angela Lansbury is my all time Broadway hero. She will be 90 this year and as recently as 2012 appeared in a revival of Gore Vidal's The Best Man. Her Broadway career, assuming that it is finally over, spanned more than 50 years. She has won five Tony Awards, the latest in 2009 when she was in her mid 80s.

Lansbury starred in revival of Gypsy in the '70 and won yet another Tony. I got to see her in OKC with the rest of the original Broadway cast because the Gypsy's producers did the previews in a national touring company. It was so early in the show's run, the light cues were off but there was nothing wrong with Lansbury. Her performance was Broadway ready.

Speaking of Broadway, and in the interest of reintroducing some topicality to the thread, I have a special fondness for the Saint James theater, where most of Birdman was filmed. In the early '80s my wife and I had front row seats there for Barnum and saw Jim Dale in his Tony winning performance as P.T. Barnum. Glenn Close played his wife. The show became and remained my wife's all time favorite Broadway experience.

#45 ·
I thought it was ok to watch and maybe another viewing would help but overall not a Best Picture or a great film at all in my humble opinion. It was very hard to get into from the get go and when you start to get it then it veers off again. Don`t even get me started about the dumb ending. :confused:

#47 ·
I love so much this flick that I've already watched it twice. ...It's the inside and above his head; the internal emotions expressed by the drummer that get me the most. The drummer plays, Michael (Birdman, ex-Batman) performs in unison. ...Fantastically awesome. ...A Must Have in your BR collection.
Don't pass a good intelligent/imaginative/magnificent/marvelous thing in your life by lettting it flying by.

'Birdman' is the real deal, in New York city.

#49 ·
Just ordered the Birdman BD from Amazon. Am still not sure whether I liked or loved the film but it was unbelievably intriguing. In the final analysis of whether to buy the BD, my Saint James Theater connection, which I explained in Post 40, moved me to do it. Looking forward to seeing the film again and, I hope, more times after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.