Check out our review of the TV series drama about pioneers of the science of human sexuality whose research touched off the sexual revolution. In Season 2, Dr. William Masters and Virginia Johnson struggle to get their work
back on track while taking their relationship to a much more intimate place; Libby flounders in a loveless marriage and turns to volunteering.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2014
MPAA Rating: TV-MA
Feature running time: 699 minutes
Genre: TV/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Michael Sheen, Lizzy Caplan, Annaleigh Ashford, Caitlin Fitzgerald, Teddy Sears , Julianne Nicholson, Beau Bridges, Jocko Sims, Keke Palmer, Betsy Brandt, Allison Janney, Greg Grunberg, Courtney B. Vance, Danny Huston,
Directed by: Various
Music by:
Written by:Various
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 5, 2015
"Their work is their passion"
My Take:

Having been dismissed by Maternity Hospital, Dr. William Masters (Michael Sheen) needs a place where he and Virginia Johnson (Lizzy Caplan) can resume their work. But thanks to their study’s controversial topic – sex – they are forced out of two more hospitals before deciding to open their own clinic. With the seeds of the sexual revolution being sown and the simmering civil rights movement exploding around them, the intimate relationship they started under the guise of their research unravels as the result of Masters’ sudden impotence. With the prospect of treating sexual dysfunction becoming increasingly important to their patients and themselves, at home
Masters confronts his wife’s growing disaffection and the unexpected return of his estranged brother, while Johnson faces a crisis of her own when the publicity surrounding their work places the custody of her two children in doubt.

Based on the book by Thomas Maier, Masters of sex is a Showtime TV Series drama about the pioneers of the science of human sexuality whose research touched off the sexual revolution. Prior to requesting this series for review I hadn’t seen the show but thought that it looked interesting especially seeing as it’s based on the real-life pioneers Dr. William Masters and Virginia Johnson. The names of Masters and Johnson are familiar to me as I recall hearing it while growing up but honestly couldn’t specifically tell you why.

The series follows their beginnings in 1957 with season one sticking more or less to the facts while season two diverges into a mix of fact/fiction that incorporates various subplots and characters that revolve around the factual events surrounding the exploits of Masters and Johnson. Season two picks up where season one left off (there is a recap for each episode which provided a snapshot of season one’s events) and jumps right into the continuing storylines, with the primary focus on the work of Dr. Masters and the relationship he shares with Virginia. Separate and together their lives and work seems to be in a constant state of flux with the only truly stable element being their unusual affinity for each other and their shared passion for their work.

The writing is excellent as the series incorporates a solid cache of supporting characters and subplots that are wonderfully integrated. Amidst the show’s thematic underpinnings are relevant elements that deal
with the subjects of racism, equality, homosexuality, sexual abuse, alcoholism, infidelity and the how the perceptions of such things were perceived during the time period. The subject matter is aptly portrayed via a sexually explicit context that rarely comes across as ostentatious but instead serves to underscore the innate nature of the show’s narrative. The dialogue, interpersonal relationship drama/melodrama and historical significance have a genuine quality that successfully blends elements of levity, romance and the relevant themes associated with the work performed by Masters and Johnson. The cast is made up of a terrific ensemble of regulars and guests that add to the show’s appeal.

I watched season two with my wife and we were instantly hooked on Masters of sex. It’s a well-crafted and compelling TV drama that has an original essence that rises to the top. I look forward to seeing what season three has to offer. Season two’s 12 episodes are spread over four BD-50 Blu-ray discs and comes housed in a standard sized “chubby” amaray case .

Here is the season two episode list:
  1. Parallax
  2. Kyrie Eleison
  3. Fight
  4. Dirty Jobs
  5. Giants
  6. Blackbird
  7. Asterion
  8. Mirror, Mirror
  9. Story of My Life
  10. Below the Belt
  11. One for the Money, Two for the Show
  12. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material, adult content
, graphic language and nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE= 92-100/EXCELLENT= 83-91/GOOD= 74-82/AVERAGE= 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE= under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media
/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):
Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:
Masters of Sex Season Two comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This is a top notch high definition video
rendering that features well resolved images, defining sharpness and two dimensional depth that appear faithful to the show’s original elements. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation, tonal warmth and vibrant textures. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements. I saw no signs of video related anomalies or artifacts.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack features crystal clear dialogue, robust dynamics and a subtle, yet enriching surround sound mix. I was pleased with its use of spatial dimension and directional cues to create an apropos and occasionally immersive sound field. This worked hand in hand with show’s music, and accentuated the show’s thematic elements. I thought it sounded quite good.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD)“History of sex” Featurette – An exploration of the time period shift from the ‘50s to the ‘60s, including the introduction of Alcoholics Anonymous, diet pills and the start of the Civil Rights movement
  • (HD) Deleted Scenes
  • (HD) “The Men of Sex: Actors’ Roundtable” – A cast roundtable featuring the men on what it means to be a “man” on this show, including Michael Sheen, Teddy Sears , Beau Bridges, Jocko Sims & Kevin Christy.
  • (HD) “The Women of Sex” – A featurette exploring the show’s powerful team of women, both behind the scenes and in front of the cam
  • Digital HD Copy
Final Thoughts:

Based on the book by Thomas Maier, Masters of sex is a Showtime TV Series drama about the pioneers of the science of human sexuality whose research touched off the sexual revolution. Season two picks up where season one leaves off and features excellent writing, spot on direction and a marvelous ensemble cast that support the show’s engaging themes. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring resplendent high definition video, crisp lossless sound and a fair supplemental package that features lots of insights from the cast/crew. I thoroughly enjoyed Masters of sex season two and highly recommend it for genre fans. Check your local listing for season three’s premiere which airs on Showtime in July.

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package