AVS Forum banner

The Marine 4: Moving Target (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review Last Post

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  darthray 
#1 ·

Check out our review of The Marine 4: Moving Target, the fourth installment in the WWE action film series.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Twentieth Century Fox - 2015
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Mike "The Miz" Mizanin, Melissa Roxburgh, Josh Blacker, Summer Rea
Directed by: William Kaufman
Music by: Jeff Tymoschuk
Written by: Allen McEllroy
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 21st, 2015

"There is no greater force than an American hero"

My Take:

Is the WWE the new Cannon films? With its foray into movies, they have built a little franchise with The Marine series. I have yet to see one, this being my first.

The Marine 4: Moving Target showed they have deep pockets and are not afraid to fund many explosions and squibs. But one wonders what would happen if only they threw a few bucks into a screenwriter to come in and add a wee bit of story and character development...then maybe they could become the 200's Cannon Films. (Man I do miss Cannon Films!)

Whoa...did I just whine about "story and character development" in a WWE movie? Oops! Ok lets get real. Does it have pretty much non-stop balls-to-the-wall action? Check. Does it have a WWE superstar in the films lead? Check. Does it have a WWE diva with the best cleavage money can buy? Check. In this regards The Marine 4: Moving Target should garner a 5 star review ;) So there you have it, target demographic.

Plot-wise it's a paint by the numbers action flick about Marine Jake Carter (Mike "The Miz" Mizanin) who is assigned to protect a "high-value package," a beautiful whistleblower (Melissa Roxburgh) trying to expose a corrupt army defense contractor. -- Action fans looking for a dose of brainless popcorn insanity will dig it, movie buffs wont.

Parental Guide:
Strong violence throught

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Marine 4: Moving Target comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1.78:1 1080p AVC video encoded at 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

The Marine 4: Moving Target is what Blu-ray is about--with ultimately rendered fine details, an almost three dimensional look, solid black levels and stable contrast. I could not find any compression artifacting of really anything to have any gripe with. Colors were rich and natural with flesh tones that looked right on the money. It losless audio track is a winner with plenty of deep, clear and fast bass attacks, as well as a rocking and dynamic soundtrack. Dialogue seemed fine as did its mix of surround elements. A wee bit of refinement and this baby would have been reference.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) 3 Featurettes
  • Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Marine 4: Moving Target is a action flick. No more, no less. If you liked the other entries, I assume this will satisfy your caving for more. Its A/V presentation is stellar and made the lack of story less of a detriment.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Falcon Screens Horizon 138" 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen
Da-Lite Pro Imager Projector Screen Masking System
Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo A51 & A21 7x250
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad Gold Monitors
Triad Silver Surrounds x4
Triad Bronze Subwoofers x4
Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens
AudioQuest Wires

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 3D 1080p Plasma
Anthem MRX-310-AV Receiver
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
Triad Bronze Subwoofer

See less See more
1 15
#3 ·
Thanks for the review, Lee! :cool:

I do enjoy heavy action movies, so based on your audio/video scores I'll be picking this up the first time a really good price comes along.

#5 ·
This is only indirectly related, but Amazon currently has The Marine 1, 2, and 3, on blu-ray in a 3-pack for $8.99 and not having seen them either, I've ordered it so that I can be more up to speed when The Marine 4 arrives.

Thanks again for the review, Lee.

Reactions: Lee Weber
#9 ·
Just finished the third film from "The Marine" movies after watching the first two films earlier in the week. They aren't great movies by any means, but they were enough fun and had enough high paced action to make them worth the $3 each that I paid for them by purchasing the triple pack described above. Now I'm all primed and ready for number four! Thanks again, Lee! :cool:

#12 ·
fans looking for a dose of brainless popcorn insanity will dig it, movie buffs wont.

The Marine 4: Moving Target is what Blu-ray is about--with ultimately rendered fine details, an almost three dimensional look, solid black levels and stable contrast. I could not find any compression artifacting of really anything to have any gripe with. Colors were rich and natural with flesh tones that looked right on the money. It losless audio track is a winner with plenty of deep, clear and fast bass attacks, as well as a rocking and dynamic soundtrack. Dialogue seemed fine as did its mix of surround elements. A wee bit of refinement and this baby would have been reference.

Thank You for posting your impression and time to do this review:)

Look like a buy to me:D
Sometime B movie are the best to pass and enjoy yourself for a little while.
Looking forward to it.
Should I bother checking the first 3 first or can it be watch as a stand alone?

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.