AVS Forum banner

Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

9K views 89 replies 57 participants last post by  darthray 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Check out our review of this entertaining and stylish action film from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment that looks and sounds terrific on Blu-ray. A super-secret organization recruits an unrefined but promising street kid into the agency’s ultra-competitive training program just as a dire global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 129 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Colin Firth, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Caine, Mark Strong, Taron Egerton, Sofia Boutella
Directed by: Matthew Vaughn
Music by: Henry Jackman & Matthew Margeson
Written by:Jane Goldman & Matthew Vaughn
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 9, 2015

"Are you ready to become a true gentlemen?"

My Take:

Based on the comic book "The Secret Service", created by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar, Kingsman: The Secret Service follows the recruitment and training of a potential secret agent, Gary "Eggsy" Unwin, into a secret spy organization known only as The Kingsman. While Eggsy tackles the trials of membership along with a group of other young potentials a wealthy eco-terrorist named Richmond Valentine has devised an evil scheme to deal with the world’s climate changes and overpopulation “problem” all at the same time. It will be up to the Kingsman and their latest addition to thwart Valentine’s plans before it’s too late.

Kingsman: The Secret Service is a fusion of satire, bloodletting action and cleverly integrated hokum that makes for a stylish, genre bending and mindlessly entertaining film. Director and co-writer Matthew Vaughn is no stranger to refreshingly offbeat takes that push the envelope just far enough to evoke our imaginative playfulness without over extension. The script isn’t all that deep but includes plenty of playful references, purposeful throwbacks and a passable cache of characters that work well within the intended thematic tone.

The action and choreography is lots of fun to watch and comes coupled with what some may find to be an over-abundance of gratuitous violence. I didn’t have any problem with it. The production elements and stunt work are simply excellent which by themselves make for an enriching diversion. At just over two hours the film runs just a hair too long trying to sustain the story but I really didn’t care as I was having a pretty good time. Kingsman: The Secret Service isn’t destined or classic status but it’s a solid popcorn flick that should scratch the itch of genre fans on movie night.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of strong violence, language and some sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Kingsman: The Secret Service comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.1 Mbps.

This is a sparkling video presentation that delivers exquisite high level detail and rewarding color reproduction that looks gorgeous in high definition. The video has incredible depth and dimension that is rarely limited by the camera’s perspective. The level of resolution present produces imagery that in many cases has a near infinite visual acuity that draws out the finest details in close ups while enhancing the delineation and textural nuance within objects and backgrounds. Wide angle shots of the geographic locations reveal the varied and rough texture in the surfaces made of stone and wood while the beautifully framed shots of the landscapes look terrific.

Flesh tones exhibit vibrant texture with natural color and slightly warm complexions. Blacks exhibit exemplary dynamic range and appear deep and rich without compromise. Shadow detail is impressive and readily conveys strong dimensionality during the scenes shot in darkened areas and uneven light. Contrast and brightness work in tandem so that dark scenes exhibit good dynamic range and bright scenes are vivid without loss of detail. I saw no signs of video related anomalies or extraneous noise. This is an impressive high definition presentation that looked marvelous on my big screen.

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack presented here is an impressive one that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. This is an engaging and dynamically energized surround mix that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, and frequent use of rhythmically charged bass which bass lovers are sure to appreciate. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel. It’s located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies within the soundstage. This is a complex sound design that is loaded with various sound effects, spatial cues, music, and dialogue. Each is clearly represented with enriching clarity, detail and appropriate sound field placement.

This is a superlative audio/video presentation that elevated the enjoyment of this action film. Those who like to drive their systems at reference levels will appreciate its transient low frequency peaks, extended dynamic range and high level clarity. I enjoyed the high definition video presentation which features crisp resolution, deep blacks and exquisite rendering that look terrific on my large screen. Kudos to 20th Century Fox on a job well done.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Panel to screen: The education of a 21st century super-spy – 10 minute featurette
  • (HD) Heroes and rogues – 23 minute featurette
  • (HD) Style all his own – 10 minute featurette
  • (HD) Tools of the trade – 15 minute featurette
  • (HD) Breathtakingly brutal – 17 minute featurette
  • (HD) Culture clash: The comic book origins of The Secret Service -15 minute featurette
  • (HD) Photo Galleries
  • (HD) Theatrical trailer
  • Digital HD copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the comic book "The Secret Service", created by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar, Kingsman: The Secret Service is a fusion of satire, bloodletting action and cleverly integrated hokum that makes for a stylish, genre bending and mindlessly entertaining film. It comes to Blu-ray featuring reference quality high definition video and room filling DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio surround sound, mated with a fair supplemental package that is worth exploring if you enjoyed the film. Kingsman: The Secret Service makes for excellent popcorn entertainment especially when combined with a top notch home theater presentation on Blu-ray. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
1 17
#41 ·
Pretty entertaining movie, good special effects, fights, sounds. A great popcorn movie.

Some things I did not like:

1. Too long. Should have been about 90-100 minutes instead of 120+ minutes. The training scenes were unneccessary and dragged on way too long.

2. Movie trailer was misleading. The previews made it look like a young James Bond movie. Which was right until the 2nd half of the movie. Pretty sure a ton of parents jaws dropped when the Church scene happened.

3. Samuel Jackson character sucked.

#42 ·
I liked the film and found plenty of substance amongst the violence and absurdly comical story line. Colin was at his very British best and Sam was well, interesting ... :)

Rented it on VuDu (HDX) and will probably buy the bluray when it hits the

#45 ·
I totally loved this movie no disappointment here. Thanks Ralph for your great reviews.

Reactions: Ralph Potts
#47 ·
Love Matthew Vaughn's movies, both as a Director and Producer. The music certainly speaks to me as a fellow Brit and I actually bought Give It Up by KC & The Sunshine Band after watching the movie.

#48 ·
Sooooo, glad I bought this, it was just too much fun, not only will I be watching it again soon, this is going to be like Guardians and a few others in that once it comes to one of the movie channels and I see it in the guide I'll absolutely not be able to stop myself from watching it.

#49 ·
Unfortunately, by the time I had seen this at the theater I had heard too many positive reviews, comments, etc. and my expectations weren't met. Not a bad movie but I would have been better off seeing this with absolutely no expectations prior. I will say however that the trailer didn't do much to excite me, especially Samuel Jackson's character.

#50 · (Edited)
Sure it's a popcorn flick but there is a lot of social commentary between the lines if you pay attention. The wife and I found the film funny and interesting with a pitch perfect performance from Colin Firth. It was a Vudu rental but is a definite buy for me.
Thanks for the review Ralph, as always you are my goto movie review source. :)

#53 ·
KINGSMAN is now available on M-GO in UHD HDR!!!

unfortunately, there is a bug right now thats blocking MGO from syncing with the samsung UHD video pack and nothing can downloaded from MGO until it gets fixed for the tizen tvs to be compatable. the 2014 tvs without the sek3500 upgrade(that gave them tizen) are still working 100% with MGO, but those tvs are unable to do the HDR.

so again..we wait.

#54 ·
Ralph, based on your review I opted to go ahead and give it a preview run (streaming) before considering a purchase.

In short - It isn't a perfect film by any means but its a damn fun movie and in some ways, a breath of fresh air as it makes no bones about paying homage to past films and spy genres and yet does its own thing, with its own style and agreeable dialogue. I will add this one to my collection and thanks for opting to write about this movie.

Btw, I admit I was growing weary of S. Jackson being in a bit too many films but he was quite entertaining in his just over the top performance that worked quite well for the character. I just wonder how many takes in some of the scenes he had to do due to 'cracking up' from the combo of dialogue and affected speech.

#55 ·
Reactions: darthray
#59 ·
Wife and I watched this last night and had a blast with it... feel sorry for folks that can't be entertained by something like this.

If you don't have it yet right now it's a GREAT Amazon blu-ray deal for $12.49!

http://www.amazon.com/Kingsman-Secr...5&sr=1-2&keywords=kingsman+the+secret+service

I am with you on that:)
A movie should be just that, a couple of hours of entertainment, some are masterpiece and some pure popcorn entertainment to park your brain at the door and nothing more:)

Ray

#58 ·
My stepson saw it in the theater and loved it. I bought it and found it to be a fun popcorn movie. Slightly cheeky, slightly vulgar but well acted and overall fairly enjoyable as long as you didn't take it too seriously.

#60 ·
I honestly didn't have much interest in this one based on the trailer, and then when I saw Ralph give it a 3.5 I felt my impression of the trailer was probably justified. But then I saw the movie and frickin loved it!!!!!

What a ride!!! This is the first time in a very long time where I was looking at the clock in a good way. I knew the running time, but I was having so much fun that I kept looking to see how much time was left because I didn't want it to end. It's been quite a while since I had this much fun with a film.

Can't wait for the next one!

#71 ·
Thanks for the great review, Ralph!

This blu-ray package was delivered yesterday and I ended up watching it last night. The movie was a fun ride all the way, and I enjoyed pretty much everything about it, so I'll undoubtedly be watching it again very soon. :cool:

Reactions: Ralph Potts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.