Check out our review of the fourth instalment in the Mad Max film franchise. Looking and sounding spectacular on Blu-ray , its post-apocalyptic story is set in Australia’s stark desert wasteland where humanity is broken, and almost everyone is crazed fighting for the necessities of life. Within this world exists two fleeing rebels who may have what it takes to bring order to the madness. There's Max, a man of action and a man of few words, who seeks peace of mind following the loss of his wife and child in the aftermath of the chaos. And Furiosa, a woman of action and a woman who believes her path to survival may be achieved if she can make it across the desert back to her childhood homeland.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/3D Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2015
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 120 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Keays-Byrne, Rosie Huntington-Whitley, Riley Keough, Zoe Kravitz, Abbey Lee, Courtney Eaton
Directed by: George Miller
Music by: Junkie XL
Written by:George Miller, Brendan McCarthy, Nico Lathouris
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 1, 2015
"Hope and redemption…to the Max!"

amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0";
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "vs-avs-4kblu-ray-20";
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual";
amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart";
amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon";
amzn_assoc_region = "US";
amzn_assoc_title = "My Amazon Picks";
amzn_assoc_linkid = "e2174f6c938d117252a91814a2f36665";
amzn_assoc_design = "enhanced_links";
amzn_assoc_asins = "B01BHKO34U";

My Take:

Haunted by his turbulent past, Mad Max believes the best way to survive is to wander alone. Nevertheless, he becomes swept up with a group fleeing across the Wasteland in a War Rig driven by an elite Imperator, Furiosa. They are escaping a Citadel tyrannized by the Immortan Joe, from whom something irreplaceable has been taken. Enraged, the Warlord marshals all his gangs and pursues the rebels ruthlessly in the high-octane Road War that follows.

I am a fan of the Mad Max film series although Mad Max beyond Thunderdome leaves a bit to be desired. I saw The Road Warrior in the theater and was instantly a fan. I didn’t see Mad Max until later on home video and really enjoyed it. The post-apocalyptic/dystopian themed action film was new to me and I loved the gritty edge and fervent pacing of the Road Warrior. The idea of this future based shadowy anti-hero with a transcendent, “he who walks alone” persona was just plain cool and Mel Gibson’s take on the characters solidified it. When I heard that George Miller was co-writing and directing Mad Max: Fury Road I was very interested but when I saw that Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were onboard as the lead characters I had to see it.

I went opening weekend with my son and we saw it in 3D. Since the character of Max is established so well as the series’ protagonist, as is the world he inhabits, there was little call for a lengthy setup. The film jumps right in tossing you into the fray. The plot, which was conceived in graphic form via storyboards, revolves around two large set pieces, a chase and a race. Along the way come the elements of the thematic construct that connect you with the world and character base of Fury Road. While this isn’t deep storytelling there is an underpinning richness to the proceedings that works on an imaginative and visceral level. Mad Max: Fury Road is a kinetic and frenetic film experience that is sure to feed the appetites of action film junkies.

The film features spectacular production elements, hair raising stunts and a spot on director’s touch. Hardy and Theron are simply marvelous. I enjoyed the film when I saw it in the theater and even more during this second viewing. Mad Max: Fury Road is the ultimate popcorn flick and is among my favorite films of the year.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of violence throughout, and for disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE= 92-100/EXCELLENT= 83-91/GOOD= 74-82/AVERAGE= 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE= under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
3D Presentation: 94

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 100

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Mad Max: Fury Road 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 5.6 Mbps.

This film wasn’t shot natively in 3D but was converted in post-production. I saw it in the 3D at the theater and wondered how the film’s effects and CG based elements would look at home. I found the 3D presentation on Blu-ray to be more engaging that what I recall seeing at the theater. I was very pleased to see that the reproduction of the digital effects etc. translates as well here as it does in the 2D presentation. Presented in its original aspect of 2.40:1 detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity with objects and people within the frame appearing noticeably delineated and sharp. Depth of field is excellent as there is a natural sense dimension with regard to foreground/background spacing and movement. The cinematography utilizes near field camera perspectives that enhance proportional correlation. There are a plethora of sequences, usually associated with the elements of action that provide an in your face sense of dimension as things come at you, float or splatter beyond the screen’s borders. A film like this has the potential to make definitive use of the 3D platform and I enjoyed its implementation here as it made the experience more enjoyable. I didn’t notice any overt signs of ghosting/crosstalk. Compared to the 2D presentation I found this to be the more visually engaging as adding excellent three dimensional depth to the equation makes for a gratifying high definition experience that fans of the format will appreciate.

Having seen Mad Max: Fury Road in the theater I had high hopes for its soundtrack in the home environment and I wasn’t disappointed. This lossless 7.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is demonstration quality and sounds terrific. This recording has wide dynamic range and boasts superlative clarity and high level detail that adds an enriching element. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it reaches far into the room. It’s located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies within the soundstage. Front channel separation and imaging is spot on. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be readily definable. The mix makes effective and aggressive use of the surround channels especially when the action kicks in. The listening becomes submerged in a rotating web of sound that combines sound effects and musical accompaniment.

This is a dynamically charged sound mix that frequently utilizes the subwoofer to provide viscerally potent impact. The audio’s low frequency effects are applied authoritatively to underscore the bombastic and aggressive aspects of the presentation and it does so quite effectively. Its palpable presence is never in question as it contains refined bass quality that is appreciably superior and room energizing (bass heads will love it!). Listening to opening sequence, beginning with Max’s commentary, several ultra-deep bass sweeps, and the “voices in his head”, provides an example of what this soundtrack has in store. It sounded so good I played it back several times. From there prepare to be treated to a spectacular listening experience as this is a sophisticated sound design that is loaded with various sound effects, spatial cues, timber rattling low frequency effects, music, and dialogue. Each is clearly represented with enriching clarity, detail and appropriate sound field placement. I had a blast and enjoyed this audio presentation more at home than in the theater.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects and music accompaniment. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen in an involving and sometime visceral fashion. The opening sequence features Max’s running monologue and a series of audio cues in the form of the voices that Max is hearing in his head. His voice holds sway over the entire listening area while the voices in his head emanate from differing point in the soundfied. The effect is outstanding and sounds terrific. The extended chase and race sequences during the first act and third acts contain a host of swirling effects, explosions, nearfield pans, weapon fire and ambience that rotate around the soundstage, shifting overhead, passing by at ear level and coming directly at the listening position. Everything comes together in a resplendent blend of room traversing and well balanced sound that shows what this format is capable of. I consider this Dolby Atmos mix to be the best that I have heard so far.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Mad Max: Fury Road comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps.

This is stylized video presentation that makes use of darker color schemes and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers strive for to drive the story’s components. Its predominantly sepia toned aesthetic is broken up by splashes of vivid primary colors, crimson, and warm golden accents. Bold use of contrast and rich blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with punchy whites and dark dynamic highlights. Shadow delineation is strong and revealing of discernible detail visible in darkened backgrounds and low level wide angle shots. Resolution is excellent, particularly in brightly lit sequences, as images are characterized by definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. I saw no signs of artifacts or extraneous noise as the image has a whistle clean aesthetic that looked terrific on my big screen.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Mad Max: Fury Road 3D Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Mad Max: Fury Road 2D Blu-ray (plus bonus material)
  • (HD) Maximum Fury: Filming Fury Road – 28 minute featurette
  • (HD) Mad Max: Fury of four wheels – 22 minute featurette
  • (HD) The Road warriors: Max and Furiosa – 11 minute featurette
  • (HD) The tools of the wasteland – 14 minute featurette
  • (HD) The five wives: So shiny, so chrome – 11 minute featurette
  • (HD) Fury Road: Crash & Smash – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) 3 Deleted scenes
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy
Final Thoughts:

Mad Max: Fury Road is the fourth installment in the Mad Max film franchise and is an excellent addition that compliments the series. It comes to Blu-ray in this 3D Blu-ray Combo pack from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring reference quality high definition video, skin tingling lossless surround sound, an entertaining and complimentary 3D rendering and a decent supplemental package that looks behind the scenes at the production. Home theater enthusiasts that are set up for Dolby Atmos are going to revel in this terrific mix that literally places you in the middle of the action. Mad Max: Fury Road is popcorn entertainment at its finest and this Blu-ray offering is a must have plain and simple.
[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8[/embed]
Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package