Spy Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
  • 1 Post By rboster
  • 1 Post By pkeegan
  • 2 Post By nickbuol
post #1 of 6 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Spy Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this entertaining spoof about a desk-bound CIA analyst that volunteers to go undercover to infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer, and prevent diabolical global disaster.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2015
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 120 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Jude Law, Jason Statham, Allison Janey, Miranda Hart, Rose Byrne, Bobby Cannavale
Written & Directed by: Paul Feig
Music by: Theodore Shapiro
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 29, 2015

"One of the guys. One of the spies"

My Take:

Susan Cooper is an unassuming, deskbound CIA analyst, and the unsung hero behind the Agency's most dangerous missions. But when her partner falls off the grid and another top agent is compromised, she volunteers to go deep undercover to infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer, and prevent a global crisis.

I am always up for a good spoof, especially those that poke fun of the espionage genre, and went into Spy with hopeful expectations. I like Melissa McCarthy's brand of slapstick and physical humor. Pairing her with writer/director Paul Feig has paid past dividends and such is the case here. The screenplay brims with witty banter, purposefully crass innuendo and light action blended with situational gags that make for an entertaining comedy.

While Melissa is clearly the centerpiece the ensemble cast each gets a moment to contribute to the cleverly crafted comedic plot and chuckle inducing interaction among the various characters. If I had a nit to pick I would say that the two hour runtime exceeds the limit for a film like this. In addition to McCarthy I had a ball watching Jude Law, Allison Janey, Bobby Cannavale, Rose Bryne and Jason Statham delivering the good here.

Is Spy destined to be a classic? No, but its light, fun and ostentatiously infused with pitch perfect satire that pokes fun at its target while taking advantage of a spot on ensemble cast.

Both the theatrical version and 10 minute longer unrated cut are included. The bonus features include more than two hours of never-before-seen footage, fans of the film will be able to join the fun on set as the cast cracks up while doing Feig’s bidding, learn just how handsy the world of espionage can get for McCarthy, and see just how all those bats made it into the CIA Headquarters and onto Susan’s desserts! There is a filmmaker audio commentary, 15 classified alternate scenes and three redacted scenes, featuring Jason Statham as you’ve never seen him and outrageous performances by the rest of the cast, including Miranda Hart, Allison Janney, Bobby Cannavale, Peter Serafinowicz, and 50 Cent.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language throughout, violence, and some sexual content including brief graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Spy comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.

This is a great looking new release title from Sony. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. Bright exterior segments are punchy with crisp dynamic whites and appreciable texture. Colors are vibrant with eye catching primaries and natural rendering that looked great in high definition. Fleshtones are tonally divergent and appear lifelike in depiction. Blacks are respectable and shadow detail is revealing of appreciable levels of delineation in dark backgrounds and low lighting. I didn’t detect any deleterious artifacts or other video related anomalies.

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA soundtrack is on par with the video and sounds full bodied, articulated and dynamically gratifying. Excellent tonal balance and high level detail allow pans across soundstage appear seamless. Bass reproduction is taut and on occasion exhibits a robust low end. The mix makes frequent use of the surrounds to reproduce the discrete and ambient sounds contained within the soundtrack. I enjoyed the blend between the track's dynamic range and enveloping presence which resulted in an involving and ultimately entertaining surround sound presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • Theatrical and Unrated Cut of Spy
  • (HD) 3 Redacted Scenes
  • (HD) 15 Classified Alternate Scenes
  • (HD) Top Secret Gag Reel
  • (HD) Extra Top Secret Behind-the-Scenes Gag Reel
  • (HD) Director of Intelligence Feig Makes the Cast Do His Bidding
  • (HD) Susan and Her Men
  • (HD) Super Villain Rayna Can’t Keep it Together
  • (HD) Super Vermin
  • (HD) The Many Deaths of Anton
  • (HD) The Trouble With Covers
  • (HD) The Great Rick Ford
  • (HD) For Your Eyes Only: Jokes-A-Plenty
  • (HD) The Handsy World of Spies
  • (HD) Speaking is an Art Form
  • (HD) Super Villains of the Animal World
  • (HD) How Spy Was Made – 8 Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
  • (HD) Gallery
  • Filmmaker audio commentary with Jessie Henderson, John Vecchio, Paul Feig, Robert
    Yeoman, Walter Garcia
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Spy is an entertaining parody that manages to strike all the right chords thanks to a great cast, solid writing and apt direction. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video and a bloated but worthwhile supplemental package that fans are sure to enjoy. If you typically enjoy Melissa McCarthy's shtick then Spy is a must see on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Thanks for the review Ralph. I was going to buy this the other day but I think I might rent first. The trailer shows some funny bits but don't know if it's consistent throughout the film.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 265
We loved this movie. I have a copy coming in...now just need to get my projector back from the shop. thanks Ralph for another great review.

Ralph Potts likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ralph's review is right on as usual. Thanks Ralph. I got to see this film at the local Alamo Drafthouse. The Alamo doesn't do standard upcoming trailers, instead it plays media clips associated for the film. In this case there was an interview with an actual "cat lady". An other clip featured Jason Statham in a 80's type dance routine filmed in Europe from maybe 10 to 15 years ago. Other clips featured old spy routines. Sunday I saw "The Martian" ( a great movie) there. Clips included footage of Robinson Caruso on Mars ( my brother's favorite movie) and one of a group of astronauts on the moon being attacked by a monster with a hilarious ending.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old Today, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 314
This is one of those "under-rated" movies of the year. Not saying that it is amazing, but it was pretty funny.

I really don't care for Melissa McCarthy's obnoxious and rude humor, so I really didn't want to see this movie, but my wife did. I found it to be entertaining throughout. Jason Statham's character is great in that it pokes fun at pretty much every character that he has ever played in movies. The downfall of this movie is the promotional materials. The trailers make it look like a "stupid" comedy, and the posters and promotional images make it look like some stupid flick as well. It doesn't show that Melissa McCarthy's character is actually really smart, does her job well, and even did well in "spy school." Instead they make her look like a buffoon because someone, somewhere, thinks that is what people want.
Ralph Potts and Tiki Steve like this.
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 07:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Both the girlfriend and I really liked this movie.
She very rarely stays awake through a whole movie, this kept her awake and laughing the whole way through it.
Nickbuol (above poster) had it right in his review, the trailer was fairly inaccurate as to how the movie really was.
Tho not a big fan of Melissa McCarthy, she was good in this but it was Jason Statham and Raad Rawi who really stole the show!!

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
Sponsored Links
Reply Official AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews