Ralph Potts reviews this Disney fantasy adventure about a teen bursting with scientific curiosity and a former boy-genius inventor, bound by a shared destiny, that embark on a mission to unearth the secrets of a place somewhere in time and space where nothing seems impossible.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Disney - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 130 minutes
Genre: Sci-fi/Action Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.20:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: George Clooney, Britt Robertson, Raffey Cassidy, Hugh Laurie, Tim McGraw, Keegan Michael Key
Directed by: Brad Bird
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by:Damon Lindelof & Brad Bird
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 13, 2015
"Imagine a place where nothing is impossible"
My Take:

Dreamers Wanted…Disney invites you to an incredible world of epic imagination where anything is possible. Buckle your seat belt, as the director of The Incredibles takes your family on an action-packed thrill ride.

Join former boy genius Frank (George Clooney), optimistic, science-minded teen Casey (Britt Robertson), mysterious Athena (Raffey Cassidy) and the brilliant David Nix (Hugh Laurie) in a world of pure Disney imagination. Tomorrowland transports you on an inspiring and magical journey of wonder and adventure to a place where if you can dream it, you can do it.

Despite being intrigued by the teaser trailer for Tomorrowland I skipped going to see it in the theater. In talking to people that ventured out to see it they seemed to be split, with some liking it while other didn't care for it. I went into viewing it with reserved expectations and came away with a lukewarm reaction. I liked the inspirational concept and appreciated its imaginative elements/visionary scope, and thoughtful execution.

Unfortunately its narrative fails to keep up, lacking the character base and necessary supporting subplot (s) to effectively connect you with the story's innate elements of drama while bombarding you with a few with too many focus robbing sci-fi intangibles. I saw excellent potential in the cast but other than Britt Robertson, George Clooney and Rafffey Cassidy, the likes of Kathryn Hahn, Hugh Laurie, Judy Greer (look closely if you even want to see her), Tim McGraw, Keegan Michael Key and Pierce Grogan are sorely underused. Speaking of Raffey Cassidy, I enjoyed every minute she was onscreen, and felt that she upstaged both Clooney and Robertson.

I came away feeling a bit conflicted about how to rate Tomorrowland. As mentioned there are things I really liked about it, but conversely, it felt as though it couldn't quite bring everything together. I think that it warrants another viewing but for now I will say that I enjoyed more for the total sum of its part than as a wholly rewarding film experience.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of sci-fi action violence and peril, thematic elements and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE= 92-100/EXCELLENT= 83-91/GOOD= 74-82/AVERAGE= 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE= under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Tomorrowland comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 Mbps.

This film looks superb on Blu-ray and features glossy high definition video quality that exhibit high level detail, razor sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional depiction. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives whites without whitewashing detail. Blacks are gradational and deep which helps them pop during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a pristine and reference quality presentation that looks great.

The DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio soundtrack is technically solid and sounds terrific. This is an articulated and commanding presentation that will reward those with systems capable of thoroughly reproducing its elements. This is not an overtly aggressive presentation but it definitively produces powerful dynamics and deep bass transients that underscore the action with aplomb. This is an engaging and purposeful sound design that transforms the room into a three dimensional soundstage, creating an immersive web of sound that encapsulates the sweet spot with its plethora of sounds/ effects that seem to emanate from every direction during the films active moments.

Pinpoint imaging draws out both large and small sounds and by allowing their directional correlation (based upon the onscreen events) to be definable within the room’s acoustic boundaries. Michael Giacchino's music score helps set the stage with its perfect blend of evocative instrumentation and rousing orchestration. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. I found nothing to complain about in this rewarding and entertaining home theater ride that mates perfectly with the video presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Remembering the future: A personal journey through Tomorrowland with Brad Bird – 7 minutes
  • (HD) Casting Tomorrowland – 7 minute featurette
  • (HD) A great big beautiful scoring session – 6 minute featurette
  • (HD) The world of tomorrow science hour – Hosted by Futurologist David Nix – 5 minute feature
  • (HD) Animated Short: "The origins of Plus Ultra" – 3 minutes
  • (HD) Brad Bird's production diaries (2 segments totaling 4 minutes)
  • (HD) Blast from the past – faux commercial
  • (HD) 6 deleted scenes with filmmaker introductions
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy
  • Disney Movies Anywhere
Final Thoughts:

Tomorrowland is broad in scope and conceptual vision but suffers from a diffused script that fails to make the most of its talented cast. It comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring top notch high definition audio/video mated with a middling supplemental package. Imperfect or not there is merit to be found in Tomorrowland that makes it worth checking out and therefore deserving of a spot in your rental queue. Fans can feel free to pick it up on Blu-ray as it looks and sounds spectacular.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package