AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews - General Discussion Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #511 of 518 Old 12-07-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks for taking the time to post this suggestion. Unfortunately having the term Blu-ray Review in the title, while seemingly redundant for forum purposes, is necessary to enable those doing an internet search to more easily find it. Hence the practice will remain in place. Thanks anyway!

Regards,
I agree. I often search for reviews on AVS through Google. For example, I type the following into Google if I am looking for Godzilla's review on AVS: "godzilla review avs".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 518 Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Just a suggestion: The number of sticky threads in this forum is approaching critical mass. Already have to scroll down to find a recent post.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #513 of 518 Old 12-07-2015, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Just a suggestion: The number of sticky threads in this forum is approaching critical mass. Already have to scroll down to find a recent post.
Greetings,

You're right! Okay, I did a little house cleaning.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #514 of 518 Old 01-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
hi Ralph! question for bluray reviews.
recently I happen to watch the movie "Blind Side" and the last 30 minutes on commercial TV cut about/at least 20 minutes of the movie.
I went to Amazon to buy it so I would not experience that again. then I run into a road block.
there were 7 different versions/or price points from 6.95 to $41. three had a date of release the other 4 did not.
since Amazone did not have a description of what each version was I for one could not make a choice. do they
do this so every one will just use a video streaming service.
I have seen this many and more on other bluray disc.
you might start to add this info to your reviews.
it is too bad versions like the theatrical, directors and unrated original are your choice on the same disc.
post #515 of 518 Old 03-05-2016, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know if The Eagles Hell Freezes Over concert will ever come out on Blu-Ray? I love this concert on DVD but now
I have all HDMI from Oppp-95 player to Marantz proc. to Panasonic smart TV and this DVD video looks really bad playing it through my Oppo-95 now.
Thanks, Dave
post #516 of 518 Old 03-05-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
I doubt it. It was shot on video and won't translate well to Blu-ray (at least that's what I read at some point over the last 10 years).
davewc likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #517 of 518 Old 07-13-2016, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this the place for me to share with u guys the disgust I feel because the industry is still putting out DVDs? C'mon time to abandon this world wide and up the anthem for bd,bd3d and uhdbd, and then also ditch the first two to get ready to stick at udbd and uhdbd3d ( when they figure out how to do 3d without glasses). Anyone feels the same??
post #518 of 518 Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsony1 View Post
Is this the place for me to share with u guys the disgust I feel because the industry is still putting out DVDs? C'mon time to abandon this world wide and up the anthem for bd,bd3d and uhdbd, and then also ditch the first two to get ready to stick at udbd and uhdbd3d ( when they figure out how to do 3d without glasses). Anyone feels the same??
As soon as you start giving away enough money to everyone else world wide so we can all buy the new toys.

You sound like a believer in Steve Jobs' doctrine of "forcing the future," scorning any obligation to maintain compatibility with even his own customers' existing software and peripherals - and he refused to move beyond DVD to support Blu-ray on Macs.

That aside, not everyone wants - or is able - to buy a new format player, a new display, and new copies of all their favorite disks every few years.

You're free to do so, but there's no need to force everyone else to. I love my Blu-ray player driving a 1080p projector to a 130" diagonal image, but I don't demand that my friends ditch their DVD players and older TVs and get new equipment - I'd rather they come over to enjoy my setup! And I'd be disgusted if you were able to stop the studios from releasing anything other than UHDBD - I can't afford a new player and projector, and don't feel the need for them either.

By the way, the expression you were reaching for is "Up the ante" - which is quite appropriate, since it refers to increasing the stakes in gambling. Betamax or HD-DVD anyone?
Franin likes this.

Last edited by Philnick; 07-13-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pinocchio Se 2 Blu Ray Dvd , Australia Blu Ray , Cadillac Records Blu Ray , French Connection 2 Blu Ray , The Passion Of The Christ Definitive Edition Blu Ray , Raging Bull Blu Ray , Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 5 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 7 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 6 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page