Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #751 of 759 Old 09-25-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post
I remember using the back arrow and it went to the beginning. I'll try again.

It may depend on where in the menu you are.

I do not have a disc in front of me and it has been a while since I used this disc.

Try the Menu Button as well...not the Home Menu Button.

Also, try all arrow keys in all directions.

If that doe snot work, let me know which menu you are in and I will try it myself to see what works.

I do believe you have to go to the menu with all the Audio or Video Tools on it to go to choose the next tool in the menu.

Let me now and I will open a copy and check it out for you.

Thank you.

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 759 Old 10-04-2016, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycomo View Post
I'd like to know why the Blu-ray version has been discontinued?

I see Amazon still sells the regular 10$ dvd version. Even though it's not Blu-ray, it will deliver the same calibrated results, yes? Even on newer 4K tvs, yes?
This was a best seller for Disney consistently placing in the top 10 titles in their back catalog and often placing in the Top 5. It was also the #1 slot on Amazon in Special Interest on a regular basis and always in the top 5 or 10 in that category. However, there was an end date and a limited quantity manufactured in my agreement with Disney.

I am considering a 4K disc but since these cost at least a small fortune to produce. The problem is, there are not enough 4K Players or interest parties to support the investment. We have to sell a few hundred thousand discs to break even.

In addition, considering Disney WOW took over Two (2) years of full time, very hard work to produce, I am not sure I am ready to take that on again. Not yet anyway.

The biggest obstacle for me is that most people do not understand, nor do they appreciate, the incredible amount of time, money and effort that goes in to producing a disc of this quality. This is especially true when Disney is a partner. Disney protects their brand diligently, as they should and as do I, so the checks, due diligence and standards are very strict indeed. We have to get everything reviewed and approved by multiple department heads every step of the way.

Also, the armchair critics who are not really familiar with the technical aspects and details and sling random comments with no facts or thought behind them make this endeavor less desirable for me to take on. I have been a member if AVS for years and stopped posting due to all misinformation being promoted by passionate members who truly believe they know what they are talking about, but often do not. I cringe when I say this because while it is true, but I will get flaming posts due to this comment. Of course, this is not true of all members, just the angry trolls.

I have produced over Fourteen (14) Calibration Discs to date and they keep getting better every time. I try my best to create calibration discs that will satisfy a broad audience. I do listen to the audience on a variety of Forums and take their comments in to consideration. Yes, angry trolls included... It is almost impossible to satisfy everyone but I really do try.

Once I see enough of a market for it, I will produce a killer 4K disc. Maybe someone can start a Poll that states how many people will but a 4K disc. Something like this:

Would you buy a 4K Calibration Disc that is backward compatible with current HD Standards and if so which of these versions would you most likely purchase.

* Yes, a simple disc for Consumers for a lower cost - ($39.95 MSRP)

* Yes, a more advanced disc for Consumers, Home Theater Enthusiasts for a moderate cost - ($59.95)

* Yes, a highly advanced disc for Consumers, Home Theater Enthusiasts and Professional Calibrators for a higher cost - ($79.95)

* No, I would not be interested in nor would I purchase a 4K Calibration Disc

If I think there is enough interest, I will produce a new 4K disc.

Hopefully, someone can post this poll.
steve1106 likes this.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)

Last edited by RBFilms; 10-09-2016 at 12:08 PM.
post #753 of 759 Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Rich. The WOW disc provided me with a very close to profession calibration for 1/20 the cost. While I don't have a 4K TV yet, when I purchase one, the very next purchase would be a 4K WOW disc if it existed. Knowing what a pro calibration cost, I would spring for the $80 version.
post #754 of 759 Old 10-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post
This was a best seller for Disney consistently placing in the top 10 titles in their back catalog and often placing in the Top 5. It was also the #1 slot on Amazon in Special Interest on a regular basis and always in the top 5 or 10 in that category. However, there was an end date and a limited quantity manufactured in my agreement with Disney.

I am considering a 4K disc but since these cost at least a small fortune to produce. The problem is, there are not enough 4K Players or interest parties to support the investment. We have to sell a few hundred thousand discs to break even.

In addition, considering Disney WOW took over Two (2) years of full time, very hard work to produce, I am not sure I am ready to take that on again. Not yet anyway.

The biggest obstacle for me is that most people do not understand, nor do they appreciate, the incredible amount of time, money and effort that goes in to producing a disc of this quality. This is especially true when Disney is a partner. Disney protects their brand diligently, as they should and as do I, so the checks, due diligence and standards are very strict indeed. We have to get everything reviewed and approved by multiple department heads every step of the way.

Also, the armchair critics who are not really familiar with the technical aspects and details and sling random comments with no facts or thought behind them make this endeavor less desirable for me to take on. I have been a member if AVS for years and stopped posting due to all misinformation being promoted by passionate members who truly believe they know what they are talking about, but often do not. I cringe when I say this because while it is true, but I will get flaming posts due to this comment. Of course, this is not true of all members, just the angry trolls.

I have produced over Fourteen (14) Calibration Discs to date and they keep getting better every time. I try my best to create calibration discs that will satisfy a broad audience. I do listen to the audience on a variety of Forums and take their comments in to consideration. Yes, angry trolls included... It is almost impossible to satisfy everyone but I really do try.

Once I see enough of a market for it, I will produce a killer 4K disc. Maybe someone can start a Poll that states how many people will but a 4K disc. Something like this:

Would you buy a 4K Calibration Disc that is backward compatible with current HD Standards and if so which of these versions would you most likely purchase.

* Yes, a simple disc for Consumers for a lower cost - ($39.95 MSRP)

* Yes, a more advanced disc for Consumers, Home Theater Enthusiasts for a moderate cost - ($59.95)

* Yes, a highly advanced disc for Consumers, Home Theater Enthusiasts and Professional Calibrators for a higher cost - ($79.95)

* No, I would not be interest din nor would I purchase a 4K Calibration Disc

If I think there is enough interest, I will produce a new 4K disc.

Hopefully, someone can post this poll.
Whoa! So it was a limited run disc. I'm lucky to have a authentic copy then. Thanks again.

Hopefully, in a few years, a 4K market will be established for you to produce another WOW disc.
post #755 of 759 Old 10-04-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Rich. The WOW disc provided me with a very close to profession calibration for 1/20 the cost. While I don't have a 4K TV yet, when I purchase one, the very next purchase would be a 4K WOW disc if it existed. Knowing what a pro calibration cost, I would spring for the $80 version.

That is the version I have planned out on paper, so that is good to hear.

Thanks for the input!

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #756 of 759 Old 10-04-2016, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have recently invested in a 4k TV and would purchase a 4k version of the WoW calibration disc(s) if one ever became available. Is there a possibility to calibrate HDR as well?

To add: I'd be in for either the $59.95 or $79.95 depending on amount of content and reviews.
Sucks for me that I lost the actual calibration disc but still have everything else of the bluray version.

Last edited by limitz; 10-04-2016 at 02:44 PM.
post #757 of 759 Old 10-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Richard, Id like to say its great that you still post here. Im a fan of the WOW disc and found it quite useful in my HT. I havent jumped in the market for 4k yet, waiting for another couple years to see what DV and HDR10 do to each other. Maybe at that point in time you'll have the disc out, Id for one would like to see it, as I voted that way. Here's the poll, lets see where it ends up, theres no time limit on it. I copied and pasted so any errors are on you

Jeff

Would you buy a 4K disc for calibration
post #758 of 759 Old 10-09-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you.

I had no idea how to post a poll...still don't.

You are correct, I did notice a typo in the text in the last line.

It is on me...

Maybe you can be fi it for the promise of a free copy if I ever produce one.

Just remind me when and if it releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Richard, Id like to say its great that you still post here. Im a fan of the WOW disc and found it quite useful in my HT. I havent jumped in the market for 4k yet, waiting for another couple years to see what DV and HDR10 do to each other. Maybe at that point in time you'll have the disc out, Id for one would like to see it, as I voted that way. Here's the poll, lets see where it ends up, theres no time limit on it. I copied and pasted so any errors are on you

Jeff

Would you buy a 4K disc for calibration

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #759 of 759 Old 10-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 357
LOl no worries. Just FYI, when you make a new thread before you submit, scroll to bottom of page and it will ask if you want to start a poll, number of questons etc. Click the box and hit submit, it will then redirect to a page to do the poll before its posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread