Skyline (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I saw Skyline when it was first released and it was bad but I didn't think it was that bad. My biggest complaint was "oh no, not the apartment again ". I liked some of the effects at the time but the PQ and SQ were really bad at the theater, so I'll give it another shot for a buck fifty at Redbox! .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3998
I buy very, very few BDs but get a bunch of them via my BB subscription. I got the Skyline BD as an in store exchange for a returned mail order disc from my neighborhood BB.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #33 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
OK, I rented this and failing to read Ralph's review first I watched with good entertainment value in the technicals even though the story was kind of worn out. Usually, when a story is worn out you can look forward to how this writer ends a story of what seems to be an impossible situation. How amazed I was when this movie just stopped and the credits rolled. I hope this isn't a new style of writing where the story just stops, almost in mid sentence.

So, hey! It's a BD so lets check the extra features for some alternate ending. None? I guess the writer just ran out of steam or budget to finish the story.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752

post #34 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post
Hummm,,, I guess Im nut's, for its popcorn entertainment and special effects value I liked the movie and plan on buying the BD.

Cheers
Davyo
Back in the day we used to call a movie like this "Demo" material. You can sell at lot home theater gear with a movie like Skyline.
post #35 of 49 Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, no masterpiece here but the women are really hot and the surround sound is really good! I liked the ending, nothing wrong with it, better than, say, 'Battle for LA

R
post #36 of 49 Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

Ok, no masterpiece here but the women are really hot and the surround sound is really good! I liked the ending, nothing wrong with it, better than, say, 'Battle for LA

R

As I said before,,, I liked SkyLine,,, and your right on both points, its no masterpiece,,, and dare I say,,, I liked SkyLine more than Battle LA.

For fun mindless entertainment and some cool effects SkyLine works for me.

Cheers
Davyo
post #37 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I liked it a little more the second time as I had a much better picture and way better sound. I've seen better and worse, but I think this a good little popcorn/Saturday night flick.
post #38 of 49 Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I checked it out tonight. I think the advantage of seeing a film after everyone else is that you know where to set expectations. That being said, it held my attention and I would have to say that I enjoyed it enough to not regret the rental. Not sure I have any idea what was going on there at the end, but it looked cool lol.
post #39 of 49 Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I checked it out tonight. I think the advantage of seeing a film after everyone else is that you know where to set expectations. That being said, it held my attention and I would have to say that I enjoyed it enough to not regret the rental. Not sure I have any idea what was going on there at the end, but it looked cool lol.

That's exactly what I thought. It just goes to show that we HT nerds will usually forgive a film's dramatic weaknesses if it looks and sounds as great as Skyline did.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #40 of 49 Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

That's exactly what I thought. It just goes to show that we HT nerds will usually forgive a film's dramatic weaknesses if it looks and sounds as great as Skyline did.

Greetings,

There is definitely some truth in what you say gwsat. I kept my review copy..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #41 of 49 Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

There is definitely some truth in what you say gwsat. I kept my review copy..

I hear you. Another example of how much great sound can do for a film is Unstoppable. In many ways it is a forgettable film but it has such a wonderful soundtrack, I may buy the BD if Amazon ever offers it at a great price.

post #42 of 49 Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

lol, so true. And on top of that, they would REALLY have to screw it up for me hate a film that involves aliens.
post #43 of 49 Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I liked the show. What kept my attention was the idea that, they were happy. Then the aliens made trouble and this is where the film was horrible.

What I mean is when the aliens make trouble you can tell the actors are acting. And it's not the actors fault, it's poor execution that separates farce from horror and the aliens danger scenes fell into farce and never made it to horror.

But those scenes weren't the main portion of the film, the film was made up of a lot of personal thought and people standing and staring at horror. Like staring at a accident or trouble, you don't need to say anything, and that is what the people in this film do a lot of, they watch the crazy aliens. That made the film watchable for me.

The end of the film was pretty good at giving the horror vibe, the last chance at escaping the aliens and the conclusion of the film.
This film isn't a alien sci fi, it's a comedy that shows true glimpses of pain and horror and terror in bit and pieces of the film, but overall it's a comedy.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #44 of 49 Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, it finally hit Redbox, so I rented it!

Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. It was entertaining and if the movie would have just ended after:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the remaining two were "sucked up," it would've been pretty good. Like the aliens just came down and conquered -- which is what would most likely happen if aliens came to earth and were violent. But no, they had to include the "feel good" nonsense. Aliens came to earth. Aliens won. The end.

The acting wasn't that bad to me, but I guess I just don't notice it unless it's real bad.
post #45 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Liked: 10
based on the original movie reviews I passed on it.

And I am passing on the Bluray-DVD as well.

When its in the $6 Walmart bin...maybe.
post #46 of 49 Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post

based on the original movie reviews I passed on it.

And I am passing on the Bluray-DVD as well.

When its in the $6 Walmart bin...maybe.

I agree $6 or less is what this movie is worth.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #47 of 49 Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I just saw this movie last night on Netflix, and I've got to admit, it was not as bad as folks made it out to be. In fact, I rather enjoyed it. Looks like the end is set up to for a sequel.
post #48 of 49 Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Skyline belonged on the Syfy channel, Battle:Los Angeles belonged on the big screen.

I would need some serious $$ to finish viewing Skyline. It became just the second rental I've ever returned without being able to stomach it 'til the end!B:LA lacked serious character development and had some cheesiness but Skyline was an afternoon soap opera with cheap CG thrown in!
post #49 of 49 Old 07-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The problem with Skyline is the last 20mins. I'm sorry but that crap ruined anything good or decent that may have come before it....

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Skyline Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page