Haywire (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australie occidentale
Posts: 21,008
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Looking forward to watch this tonight it looks like it has a good cast behind it.

_________________________

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I was also disappointed and agree with about all the criticism. Also some of the fight and running scenes looked very stage, forced and unnatural. Also disliked the soft color filtering. One scene would be orange, then next blue, the next green.......
William is offline  
post #33 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australie occidentale
Posts: 21,008
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I was also disappointed and agree with about all the criticism. Also some of the fight and running scenes looked very stage, forced and unnatural

I agree 100%.

_________________________

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
 
post #34 of 41 Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 19,375
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3996
I come to this thread very, very, late but can't resist commenting anyway. First, I agree with Ralph one-hundred percent that Haywire is a decent action thriller that has replay value. I proved this to myself because I saw the film in the theater and liked it. Just today, I watched it again on a BD that I had checked out from the public library and liked it even more. Gina Carano is a beautiful girl and a gifted athlete. Although she can't act much, the director Steven Soderbergh gets high marks for setting Carano's scenes up so that no untoward demands were made on her limited acting skills. Although the story is less than clear and very dark (some might say ugly) I got a real kick out of it. The many scenes featuring Carano's remarkable athletic ability were a joy to watch. Getting to see the film for the second time was a lot of fun. This time, I actually knew what was going on.

I agree with Ralph's assessment of the PQ and AQ, too. Although the film is not demonstration quality in either area, it looks and sounds excellent. Highly recommended! 8 Stars out of 10.
Ralph Potts likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is online now  
post #35 of 41 Old 11-24-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 12,354
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I come to this thread very, very, late but can't resist commenting anyway. First, I agree with Ralph one-hundred percent that Haywire is a decent action thriller that has replay value. I proved this to myself because I saw the film in the theater and liked it. Just today, I watched it again on a BD that I had checked out from the public library and liked it even more. Gina Carano is a beautiful girl and a gifted athlete. Although she can't act much, the director Steven Soderbergh gets high marks for setting Carano's scenes up so that no untoward demands were made on her limited acting skills. Although the story is less than clear and very dark (some might say ugly) I got a real kick out of it. The many scenes featuring Carano's remarkable athletic ability were a joy to watch. Getting to see the film for the second time was a lot of fun. This time, I actually knew what was going on.

I agree with Ralph's assessment of the PQ and AQ, too. Although the film is not demonstration quality in either area, it looks and sounds excellent. Highly recommended! 8 Stars out of 10.

Greetings,

Better late than never gwsat. wink.gif

I always appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks... smile.gif


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #36 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Taranteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Vudu'd this last night having (somewhat) high hopes for it (the trailer looked really cool, I thought).

I realize I was tired, but a movie such as this doesn't normally put me to sleep. It didn't, but almost. And, then again, Soderbergh has always been hit-or-miss for me, so not really that surprised.

Maybe it was the infamous audio issues from LionsGate rental editions, but I was taken aback by how poorly the so-called "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1" came through. I'll take Ralph's word on his assessment of the Blu-ray lossless codec as he is always right, at least in my book, but I suspect people complaining on this thread also suffered from some (extremely) lossy sound representation via a rental. Once again, shame on you, LionsGate! Up until now, Vudu rentals had sounded really, really good on my HT system, and they're always lossy Dolby Digital.

As a movie, I was also taken aback by the actual stars' lack of starpower. Be it a directorial decision for the sake of Carano's credibility or something, but how can a supporting cast like this feel so....meh? Apart from Fassbender and (maybe) that Lancer kid, the rest felt utterly underused (and most likely way overpaid).

Back to Gina, well, what's not to like, especially once she does "wear the dress." I have to agree it was great watching her (and her fighting). She saves the movie--to a degree, that is. Despite her, Haywire is rather quite unmemorable IMHO.

It was great to have her in Fast & Furious 6 so we may be seeing more of her (mmmm...more of her!) in the near future... biggrin.gif
Taranteacher is offline  
post #37 of 41 Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Vudu'd this last night having (somewhat) high hopes for it (the trailer looked really cool, I thought).

Back to Gina, well, what's not to like, especially once she does "wear the dress." I have to agree it was great watching her (and her fighting). She saves the movie--to a degree, that is. Despite her, Haywire is rather quite unmemorable IMHO.

It was great to have her in Fast & Furious 6 so we may be seeing more of her (mmmm...more of her!) in the near future... biggrin.gif

You'll actually see "less" of her since she had some of her curves surgically reduced since making Haywire. frown.gif
adpayne is offline  
post #38 of 41 Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Taranteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

You'll actually see "less" of her since she had some of her curves surgically reduced since making Haywire. frown.gif

Woah! Not sure I would've wanted to know that! eek.gif
Taranteacher is offline  
post #39 of 41 Old 06-13-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,673
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Found this bluray in my collection stack and realized I had never watched it. Went in blind (with the wife) and found it a very entertaining film. We liked it more than Ralph and apparently more than most others here. I agree that Gina Carano carried the film with her charisma and athleticism. In this age of CG dominated films the nauseatingly cut action/fight sequences it (like John Wick) was much more entertaining and realistically done. I amazed the Gina Carano has not been utilized again as that on screen charisma of hers combined with her MMA skills makes her a truly unique talent. BTW, I am not a fan of MMA and had no idea who she was prior to the film.

I thought the sound and video were very good (sound 9 video 7) and overall a fun action movie with the best female action lead I have ever seen and my wife summed it up with this comment in saying how fun it was "to see an attractive woman who really could kick most men's a$$". If you haven't seen it I suggest you check it out and watch the special features too.
Ralph Potts and nickinhb like this.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
RMK! is offline  
post #40 of 41 Old 06-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Member
 
Brad Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I DEFINITELY agree with you RMK! This was a quality action flick. It's a thinking mans action movie which is probably why most people didn't like it. It requires some actual thought to understand and appreciate its merit.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Brad Levine is offline  
post #41 of 41 Old 06-14-2015, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 12,354
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Found this bluray in my collection stack and realized I had never watched it. Went in blind (with the wife) and found it a very entertaining film. We liked it more than Ralph and apparently more than most others here. I agree that Gina Carano carried the film with her charisma and athleticism. In this age of CG dominated films the nauseatingly cut action/fight sequences it (like John Wick) was much more entertaining and realistically done. I amazed the Gina Carano has not been utilized again as that on screen charisma of hers combined with her MMA skills makes her a truly unique talent. BTW, I am not a fan of MMA and had no idea who she was prior to the film.

I thought the sound and video were very good (sound 9 video 7) and overall a fun action movie with the best female action lead I have ever seen and my wife summed it up with this comment in saying how fun it was "to see an attractive woman who really could kick most men's a$$". If you haven't seen it I suggest you check it out and watch the special features too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Levine View Post
I DEFINITELY agree with you RMK! This was a quality action flick. It's a thinking mans action movie which is probably why most people didn't like it. It requires some actual thought to understand and appreciate its merit.
Greetings,

Great stuff guys! Thanks for posting your impressions..


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Ralph Potts is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Haywire Blu Ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off