William: > timescapes
That looks like "the exception that proves the rule"
The rule being, and let me say it more precisely,
"mass market home 4K will never happen".
The TimeScapes 4K is primarily sold on SD and HD media, i.e., not 4K.
They had to down-sample it for 2560 x 1440p and 2880 x 1620 monitors, which are not TV monitors, and also not 4K.
The full 4K version is only available as a 31GB MP3 on a $100 USB stick or a $300 HDD, which is not surprising given that there's no 4K media format yet.
Of course, to play the 4K, you need a 4K display or projector ($8K and up), and a processor of unspecified high capability that can unpack and stream that MP3 through an HDMI 1.4 high-end video card like an AMD 7000 series (and not all HDMI 1.4 devices can do 4K).
Can a 4K physical medium be done? Sure
Can the cost of 4K hardware be driven down to sane levels? Sure
Is there enough market potential for 4K to show up at Target? No,
and it appears that BD has already peaked there, and shelf space for it is now shrinking.One site
has data showing that BD revenue growth has already flat-lined, and the market penetration is slowing and may not exceed 30%. You won't get the remaining 70% to jump to 4K when they won't even move to HD. I suspect the 3D numbers are even more sobering. The tech can be done. There's just not enough market pull to get it into a RedBox near you.