Blu-ray Reviews that are on deck - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

Old 10-12-2016, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 3065
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post
Greetings Ralph, I'm looking forward to your Tarzan review as well.

I did have a question / request for you. Have you ever done a comparison of a UHD versus a stream version (ie. VuDu?) I don't see any DV equipment on your list, but wasn't sure if you had access to any. Or maybe an HDR comparison.

In my amateur opinion, Lucy in DV looks great, and I just sampled Tarzan which looks great as well.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this question or if has been asked and/or answered already.

Thanks.
Greetings,

I haven't done any comparisons and am not currently set up for Dolby Vision. I understand that it does in fact look amazing though. We'll see going forward.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Where is Independence Day?

I just received (Oct. 2016) my copy of "Independence Day Resurgence" from my Amazon preorder.
I wanted to see what you thought of the movie - but I can't find a review here. Maybe I missed it. I looked at the movie-review database too, and I don't see the original Independence Day listed either (under listings for "I").
Just curious now - did AVS review either of these movies?

Bummer - it sounds like a loser https://www.wired.com/2016/06/indepe...rgence-review/

Watched the movie, after posting here - it was not as bad as the reviewer (wired.com) above wrote. Actually I liked it.

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 10-24-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
I just received (Oct. 2016) my copy of "Independence Day Resurgence" from my Amazon preorder.
I wanted to see what you thought of the movie - but I can't find a review here. Maybe I missed it. I looked at the movie-review database too, and I don't see the original Independence Day listed either (under listings for "I").

Bummer - it sounds like a loser https://www.wired.com/2016/06/indepe...rgence-review/
Greetings,

Unfortunately 20th Century Fox rarely ships review product to arrive prior to street date. ID Resurgence was no different and arrived yesterday. I hope to post my review tomorrow.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater

Old 10-23-2016, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Undecided, The Movie

This Netflix Mockumentary is worthy of a watch and a Ralph Potts review ...
Ralph Potts likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Old 11-21-2016, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Hello Ralph,

Is there a review coming up for Alice Through the Looking Glass? I tried doing a search but came up empty.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Hello Ralph,

Is there a review coming up for Alice Through the Looking Glass? I tried doing a search but came up empty.

Thanks!
Greetings,

So sorry discone, but I don't have coverage plans for Alice.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 11-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

So sorry discone, but I don't have coverage plans for Alice.

Regards,
Ok. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Hey Ralph , whats coming up for next month, and are you covering Hell or High Water or In a Valley of Violence?
Old 11-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Old 12-03-2016, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Hell or High Water

We watched this excellent film directed by David Mackenzie stars Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine and Ben Foster. Great story and performances by virtually every cast member ("What don't you want?", you have to see the film to get that quote). I think Hell or High Water is the best film I've seen in 2016 and I hope you get a chance to review this one Ralph.
Gorilla Killa likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Here are the titles I have in hand, with the exception of The Magnificent Seven, which is scheduled to arrive early in the week:

My apologies for not getting to this one sooner. Been busy and the Thanksgiving Holiday didn't help.

Regards,
RMK! likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 12-06-2016, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

This one arrived yesterday.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 12-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ralph/Lee
You might want to do a review of Hunt for the Widerpeople. Its out on Blu-Ray now. Sam Neil (of Jurassic Park) says no one will remember him but will remember the Kid. Great Indie film from New Zealand.
Lee Weber likes this.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Hello Ralph,

Thanks!
I have a review, don't bother. Big fan of Mia Wasikowska but sadly, a lousy movie.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Old 01-13-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Here is what I am currently working on:

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 01-13-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

Watched the movie, after posting here - it was not as bad as the reviewer (wired.com) above wrote. Actually I liked it.
This film was roundly criticized for its weak rehashing of the original Independence Day and in my opinion, deservedly so. Many hole plots, some weak and obvious CGI along with the good CGI as well. Never the less, the Blue Ray deserves its accolades for the excellent quality of the discs video and audio which could easily be used as a demo disc to show off the quality of your own home theater set up.

VIDEO QUALITY....
Independence Day Resurgence displays some of the finest video quality you will find anywhere. Colors are true and bright with color correction doing nothing to take away of the imaging. Skin tones are very natural and contrast is excellent throughout the film. Small details such as hair and skin pores are easily seen and are not blurred into mushiness. While several 'previews' ,which add up to nothing more than advertisements for other movies and take up room on the disc's limited room causing for greater compression of the film you are paying for, the video quality remains superb. Average bit rate appeared to be 30 Mbps which is not very high but better than those with those low 20 rates.

AUDIO QUALITY....
While there is no Atmos 7.1 format on this disc, the lossless DTS HD MA 7.1 codec is utilized to its full potential. Not only is the audio totally immersive, the audio engineers use the surround channels for a lot more than simply spreading the musical score around. There is a ton of discreet audio foley fx spread across and around the different sound stages. These fx come from all directions so you are in the battles from all angles. Your LFE channel will also get a great workout throughout the film's many action sequences. 10 stars on the audio for sure.

EXTRAS....
Aside from the completely unnecessary ads for Blu Ray and other movies, the disc has several decent extras. The bloopers, which I usually enjoy when they are included, are not the funniest and are often redundant. They are all shown with the blue screen in the rear as almost all the CGI was done with blue screen rather than green screen. You are also provided with the typical directors commentary which I never listen to. Additionally, there is a typical 'making of' documentary. One extra, 'It's Early, ABQ" is a hilarious spoof that is not to be missed and a wonderful addition. Still another extra is entitled 'The War of 1996' which could have been a part of the film serving as a prologue but would have made the theatrical release far too long. Never the less, it takes on the appearance of a news report going back to the original Independence Day. There is also a concept art gallery which I didn't look at and the Standard Def disc.

The UV download process for this Fox movie is horrible. The redemption code has far too many letters and numbers that could be interpreted as something else. I tried every possible alternative for S that could be a 5 and B that could be an 8, G that could be a 6 but I still cannot have the code verified. There is no way to contact customer support other than by email which I have sent. I have no idea how long it may take for them to get back to me on my inability to redeem the download and there is no phone number to call on their website. A real pain in the butt and inconvenience. So far, I have heard nothing back.

The movie deserves the negative reviews it received on many levels, however if you can get past the holes in the storyline it remained an enjoyable evening with popcorn at hand. The real value of the film on blue ray is the excellent transfer for both the audio and video.

Steve Douglas
McIntosh 8207
Anthem AVM-60
Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole
Panasonic ZT 65 and OPPO 103 Blu-ray deck
Velodyne Sub
Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

These have arrived:

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 02-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

This arrived and I am working on it now...Amy Adams and Isla Fischer = and extra *

Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post
This arrived and I am working on it now...Amy Adams and Isla Fischer = and extra *

Greetings,

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

Regards,
Steve544 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 02-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

Regards,
It was unique indeed. Just finished it. Hope it to be up by end of today!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I think your criticism (or at least the tone) is kind of unwarranted, JVoth. This is a forum that caters to the extreme for home theater enthusiasts, but it also caters to those who are casual enthusiasts as well.

Not everyone on the forums has 4K/HDR, Atmos/DTS-X capable systems. While we have Ralph who caters reviews to the latest and greatest, it is actually nice to have someone who doesn't have extreme, bleeding-edge equipment doing reviews.

I'd venture to say that the vast majority of the people on this website don't have a fully cutting-edge system, so maybe Lee's reviews are MORE valid and applicable to most of the people frequenting the forums.

This is only assuming that Lee hasn't actually finished updating all his theater...
kwok lau likes this.

LG OLED65C6P / Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo BDP-103 / PS4 Pro
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
Old 02-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Aetherhole, You said exactly what I want to say. I fully agree with you. I dare to say that most o the posters and viewers of this website do NOT have 4K / hdr and the latest surround sound equipment similar to what Ralph has. Therefore, when the movie review by Ralph reach rating of 90 or above, that movie should be PERFECT for most "casual" viewers whose AV equipment would just be 1080K, 3d capable and the latest surround of non-Atmos/DTS-X capable system. 99 percent of the current movie reviews are done by Ralph, which is good for all viewers. However, I encourage Lee to post more his reviews as well. The "Casual" love to see his opinion for sure.
Lee in reading - I support you , because your AV equipment does not cheap stuff. Most of the posters and viewers do NOT even have what you have.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Lee,
Not trying to be a jerk, but this is a forum for guys that go to the near extreme with movies. Did you ever finish your room? Several people asked and you just stopped responding. How can you review movies for this site if you don't have a proper theater to watch/listen? You're build thread is in your signature for crying out loud. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but c'mon. How can we trust your reviews?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
I think your criticism (or at least the tone) is kind of unwarranted, JVoth. This is a forum that caters to the extreme for home theater enthusiasts, but it also caters to those who are casual enthusiasts as well.

Not everyone on the forums has 4K/HDR, Atmos/DTS-X capable systems. While we have Ralph who caters reviews to the latest and greatest, it is actually nice to have someone who doesn't have extreme, bleeding-edge equipment doing reviews.

I'd venture to say that the vast majority of the people on this website don't have a fully cutting-edge system, so maybe Lee's reviews are MORE valid and applicable to most of the people frequenting the forums.

This is only assuming that Lee hasn't actually finished updating all his theater...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwok lau View Post
Aetherhole, You said exactly what I want to say. I fully agree with you. I dare to say that most o the posters and viewers of this website do NOT have 4K / hdr and the latest surround sound equipment similar to what Ralph has. Therefore, when the movie review by Ralph reach rating of 90 or above, that movie should be PERFECT for most "casual" viewers whose AV equipment would just be 1080K, 3d capable and the latest surround of non-Atmos/DTS-X capable system. 99 percent of the current movie reviews are done by Ralph, which is good for all viewers. However, I encourage Lee to post more his reviews as well. The "Casual" love to see his opinion for sure.
Lee in reading - I support you , because your AV equipment does not cheap stuff. Most of the posters and viewers do NOT even have what you have.
Greetings,

I texted Lee and brought this discussion to his attention. I suppose he will respond when he has a moment but I wanted to chime in. I am assuming that no one has bothered to look at Lee's Reference Review system listed at the end of his reviews (Nocturnal Animals being the most recent). His equipment list speaks for itself.

I do appreciate the support by those that spoke up as I believe the original comment by JVoth was a bit inflammatory. Trying to stay on top of the advances in technology isn't easy or cheap. We do the best that we can to provide the community with reviews that will hopefully enable them to make informed buying decisions.

Again, I am sure that Lee will follow up when he gets the chance. Thanks as always for everyone's support.

Regards,
kwok lau and jsgrise like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Lee,
Not trying to be a jerk, but this is a forum for guys that go to the near extreme with movies. Did you ever finish your room? Several people asked and you just stopped responding. How can you review movies for this site if you don't have a proper theater to watch/listen? You're build thread is in your signature for crying out loud. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but c'mon. How can we trust your reviews?
No worries, you didn't have to try to be a jerk

Like Ralph said above, did you read my reference review system at the bottom of the review(s)??

Here it is below for you to see if you didn't.

"Reference Review System:

Sony VPL-VW665 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
Falcon Screens Horizon 138" 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen
Da-Lite Pro Imager Projector Screen Masking System
Yamaha CX-A5100 AV Processor - Calibrated by Jeff Meier @ Accucal
ATI AT4000 Signature Series Amplifiers 11x200 Watts
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Next Level Acoustics- CI-IWHD Monitors x3 (LCR)
Next Level Acoustics- CI-IW55 x4 (Surrounds)
Next Level Acoustics- CI-IC44A x4 (Atmos)
Next Level Acoustics- CI-HV15 Sub
AudioQuest Wires

Sony 75XBR940D 75" 4K Ultra High Definition HDR LED
Anthem MRX-520-AV Receiver
Next Level Acoustics- Fusion Cinema Trio
Next Level Acoustics- CI-IWSUR6.1
Next Level Acoustics- CI-HV10 Sub"

As you can see, it certainly is a step above what most reviewers are using.
Sorry I stopped updating my theater build thread, it didn't get much action while I was building so it became out of sight out of mind.
kwok lau, Aetherhole and jsgrise like this.

Last edited by Lee Weber; 02-20-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post
No worries, you didn't have to try to be a jerk

Like Ralph said above, did you read my reference review system at the bottom of the review(s)??

Here it is below for you to see if you didn't.

"Reference Review System:

Sony VPL-VW665 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
Falcon Screens Horizon 138" 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen
Da-Lite Pro Imager Projector Screen Masking System
Yamaha CX-A5100 AV Processor - Calibrated by Jeff Meier @ Accucal
ATI AT4000 Signature Series Amplifiers 11x200 Watts
Next Level Acoustics- CI-IWHD Monitors x3 (LCR)
Next Level Acoustics- CI-IW55 x4 (Surrounds)
Next Level Acoustics- CI-IC44A x4 (Atmos)
Next Level Acoustics- CI-HV15 Sub
AudioQuest Wires

Sony 75XBR940D 75" 4K Ultra High Definition HDR LED
Anthem MRX-520-AV Receiver
Next Level Acoustics- Fusion Cinema Trio
Next Level Acoustics- CI-IWSUR6.1
Next Level Acoustics- CI-HV10 Sub"

As you can see, it certainly is a step above what most reviewers are using.
Sorry I stopped updating my theater build thread, it didn't get much action while I was building so it became out of sight out of mind.
Personally, having been a professional reviewer for the last 25+ years, largely writing reviews, articles and tutorials related to film and editing gear and software, but not quite as expert as Ralph Potts in this area, I find his reviews of Blu Rays and UHD (which I do not have) to be exactly what I look for in a review. He writes clear and concise evaluations of a disc's video and audio quality covering all bases within those two areas. No one, including Ralph, can have only the very finest of gear and while his gear might be superior to yours, I am sure that there are many whose gear is heads and tails above his. So what? Did you want the review based upon what he saw from a 4x3 monitor and 1950 Fisher speakers?

A little appreciation for his hard and honest work is needed.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Steve Douglas
McIntosh 8207
Anthem AVM-60
Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole
Panasonic ZT 65 and OPPO 103 Blu-ray deck
Velodyne Sub
Old 02-21-2017, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Personally, having been a professional reviewer for the last 25+ years, largely writing reviews, articles and tutorials related to film and editing gear and software, but not quite as expert as Ralph Potts in this area, I find his reviews of Blu Rays and UHD (which I do not have) to be exactly what I look for in a review. He writes clear and concise evaluations of a disc's video and audio quality covering all bases within those two areas. No one, including Ralph, can have only the very finest of gear and while his gear might be superior to yours, I am sure that there are many whose gear is heads and tails above his. So what? Did you want the review based upon what he saw from a 4x3 monitor and 1950 Fisher speakers?

A little appreciation for his hard and honest work is needed.
Greetings,

Thanks so much Steve. It's always nice to hear that your work is appreciated.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 03-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Looking forward for Man Down, looks like it went under the radar.

Dedicated HT | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere Walls RECEIVER: Marantz SR-7010 SUBWOOFERS: DUAL 18" Dayton RSS460HO Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Will there be a blu-ray UHD review of Planet Earth II?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
<<. , Blu Ray Movies , Down The Shore Blu Ray , Jack Reacher Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Rise Of The Guardians Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Smashed Blu Ray , The Guilt Trip Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , This Is 40 Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Veep The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Wreck It Ralph Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Zero Dark Thirty Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy
Gear in this thread