Furious 7 (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #31 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Pure entertainment at its best, BTW great review as always.

The Fast 8 coming in 2017. (8th in series).
Please tell me it isn't so. They could have stopped at one.
Jacob305 and Kini62 like this.

DEN Atmos Samsung UN65KS8000 Roku Ultra Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 UHD audio. Polk Audio OWM3 Speakers / top middle on Ceiling / 300MGB Spectrum / Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player / 26 UHD Blu-Rays Living Room Atmos Samsung PN60E8000+SEK2000 / Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ 300MGB Spectrum / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers, MICCA M-8S FH on wall /TM in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs. BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 using tv speakers for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Definite buy for me on this
post #33 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1shark View Post
Worst dts hd soundtrack I have ever heard, watch Mad Max and you will understand the difference between an excellent soundtrack to an anemic soundtrack.
You are 100% freaking correct. me and my mother watched Mad Max: Fury Road then watched Fast 5 and fast 7 the went back to fast 5 and she was laughing at how weak the fast and furious mixes were, she was literally laughing out loud when i pointed out whats the point of having a sub with these movies we literally couldn't tell if it was on or off. we were talking about how in Mad Max: Fury Road you can feel the cars and the engine and just the weight of the movie it made it freaking exciting. Mad Max: Fury Road is a prime example of how a mix should make you feel.
Jacob305 and WontonNoodle like this.

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts Heavy Cinematic | Heavy Electronic|

post #34 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
You are 100% freaking correct. me and my mother watched Mad Max: Fury Road then watched Fast 5 and fast 7 the went back to fast 5 and she was laughing at how weak the fast and furious mixes were, she was literally laughing out loud when i pointed out whats the point of having a sub with these movies we literally couldn't tell if it was on or off. we were talking about how in Mad Max: Fury Road you can feel the cars and the engine and just the weight of the movie it made it freaking exciting. Mad Max: Fury Road is a prime example of how a mix should make you feel.
Well, I guess I'm in for a treat with Mad Max then (just picked it up today), because I thought Fast Five sounded pretty damned awesome. Plenty of bass from what I recall. As far as surround effects go, try the race scenes in 2 Fast 2 Furious - you can actually feel the cars whipping by the surrounds. I will definitely be picking up Fast 7 as well, so I'll chime in at that time and see what all the fuss is about WRT Mad Max vs. Fast 7.
post #35 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Top candidate for first movie viewed when my 7.4.4 Atmos theater is finally completed.
post #36 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Agreed, a terrible terrible mix. One of the worst I've heard. The US disc must have a new or different mix.
post #37 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Movie was way over the top, probably the 5th best movie of the franchise.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #38 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Ralph, I will listen to it on September 15...two weeks from now...and I will tell...just the way it is...for me.

But usually you're right on when it comes to Audio and Video...meaning that I agree with your eyes and ears...most of the times/
And when I don't I still do; it's just that some minutiae criteria can vary between our disposition on a certain day...but rarely...generally.

Also, for him to say that "it's the worst dts hd soundtrack" ...well...how worst could that be really?

* It's all fun, and I'll share my own opinion on the audio in roughly two weeks time.
Should be very interesting, because now I've read your score of 96, with the details, and I've read his. ...Looking even more forward to it now, ...audio wise.

<<EDIT>> Important note regarding the Audio (soundtrack) ... read next post below ... we might be into something here.
♦ Ralph's review is for the US version...and that, is very important to be all on the same track/soundtrack here...and hopefully the Canadian audio mix is the same as the USA one.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-02-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Edit & typo
post #39 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 10:38 PM

Lightbulb F7 - Blu-ray from different world's regions...needs further investigation...Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonNoodle View Post
Agreed, a terrible terrible mix. One of the worst I've heard. The US disc must have a new or different mix.
So your Blu-ray copy is not from the USA? ...From where then? That's important...because what if indeed it is a different audio mix?

* The earliest Blu-ray release for this BR title was on July 29th, 2015 ... in another region of the world (Spain).
Then more BR releases in other parts of the world in August...Italy, Holland, etc.

So yeah, very good chance that there are various audio mixes...with some very highly rated (audio)...like this version from the USA, reviewed by Ralph (and also highly rated over @ bluray.com...again, the USA version...with 5 out of 5).

<<>> "Worst dts hd soundtrack" - "terrible mix" ...some' doesn't sound quite right here...and I suspect it's because of different audio mixes from different parts of the world. So this is very important to specify the region when there is a huge difference of opinion like this...on the audio.

Is your version from Australia (August 27)?

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-16-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added up, because it requires investigation...need to do more research too on the internet regarding F7 for the Blu-ray.
post #40 of 108 Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 522
In regards to the mix, I saw Fast 7 at an IMAX and it was one of the harshest sounding mixes I've heard in a long time. The action scenes were so over-bearing with the highs that I could have worn ear plugs, and I like my movies LOUD. Both me and my friend felt that there wasn't much to be had in the dynamic range area, as everything was just in your face with very little nuance.

Based on Ralph's score, I'm wondering if a new mix has been created. I don't know if I'll pick this up on release or wait for a sale, but I'd be interested to read other people's impressions.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #41 of 108 Old 09-02-2015, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
So your Blu-ray copy is not from the USA? ...From where then? That's important...because what if indeed it is a different audio mix?

* The earliest Blu-ray release for this BR title was on July 29th, 2015 ... in another region of the world (Spain).
Then more BR releases in other parts of the world in August...Italy, Holland, etc.
Yep,
This release from Aug 12
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fast-a...lu-ray/136785/

Although there is no reason to mix or mastering the audio differently, since some of us have experienced something completely different in regards to Ralph review, there may be a various audio mastering across the world ( I doubt it's a different mix ).
post #42 of 108 Old 09-02-2015, 11:28 AM

That, is very possible...as it happens many times in different parts of the world (I read several forums from different countries)...or if it is the same audio mix...it could also certainly happen once in a while the vast gap in people's preference.

But! In this case right here, with 'Furious 7', regarding the audio...it is a large gap indeed.
And the best way to know for sure if the audio mix is the same from different parts of the world, is for someone to have all those versions from all over, and compare them in his own rig.
Or @ least couple of them...say the one from USA and the one from Czech Republic.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-16-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo
post #43 of 108 Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Its amazing what the latest digital technology can accomplish -- Paul Walker's two brothers (non-actors) were brought in to finish many scenes -- yes, some scenes seem a little disjointed but considering the circumstances someone did a great job pulling this stuff together.

Hats off to the studio, the director and the actors for the new ending -- the old ending that was to promote the next F & F movie was switched out. A class act on everyone's part.

These aren't my favourite movies (F & F) by any means but this last one has the classiest ending I've seen in any movie.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 09-03-2015 at 09:32 AM.
post #44 of 108 Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Audio

i also have the euro version. And The bass is way overblown in all the scenes....

I also have the 6 others Furious movies. And the bass in these movies are not what i will call bass heavy.....maby bass light for the first four movies. I run my system with a 3db boost on the subs ( JBL sam3 LCR and 2 x JBL S1S 18" ) And the system have a very lean/dry sound . So it is not a sonic issue from my system.

Mad max sound awesome on mys system. Mutch lesser bass vs Furious 7

Peter
Denmark
post #45 of 108 Old 09-03-2015, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.las View Post
i also have the euro version. And The bass is way overblown in all the scenes....

I also have the 6 others Furious movies. And the bass in these movies are not what i will call bass heavy.....maby bass light for the first four movies. I run my system with a 3db boost on the subs ( JBL sam3 LCR and 2 x JBL S1S 18" ) And the system have a very lean/dry sound . So it is not a sonic issue from my system.

Mad max sound awesome on mys system. Mutch lesser bass vs Furious 7

Greetings,

Thanks for offering your impressions. Your comments aren't consistent with those reporting anemic dynamics and weak bass. That's interesting..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #46 of 108 Old 09-05-2015, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

My advice would be to listen for yourself Bob. Far be it from me to tell someone that their opinion is wrong especially when I know nothing about their listening environment or experience. If he says that it's the worst DTS-HD MA track he has heard I will take his word for it. I obviously didn't have that experience...

Regards,
Nor did I Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #47 of 108 Old 09-05-2015, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I missed this in the cinema so can't wait to get this on br
post #48 of 108 Old 09-06-2015, 07:38 PM

Liked: 1
Loved this movie...It was a little over the top but the sound was very good.
post #49 of 108 Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Please tell me it isn't so. They could have stopped at one.
Oh it's so alright and you're right they could have stopped after the first. Though they wouldn't have made the billions they have now, would they? :P

The success of this film pretty much guarantees an 8th; Vin Diesel has already been quoted as saying, "7 was for Paul, 8 is from Paul" or something to that effect.

But yeah, personally I watched enough of this garbage now myself though. I only went to see 7 in theatres 'cause of the farewell Walker aspect. But it was unbelievably ridiculous. I remember back when the first one came out I thought it was "cool" and even had to go as far as to special order the DVD because I was living in a small town at the time and DVDs weren't even popular back then and TF&F wasn't even that popular a film. To think I "anxiously waited" to get that DVD hahaha. Though granted, at the time, the DTS track on it was pretty awesome.

Anyway the only other films in the series I ever saw in theatre was the 4th and then this one. The series is terrible, let's face it. The first movie was somewhat novel though it was essentially like Point Break on wheels, and today it's a cheese fest; the 2nd and 3rd--ugh. And then from the 5th onwards it just because ridiculousness all the way up to ridiculousness on steroids, which is what this movie is. I won't be going to see the inevitable 8th film, that's for sure.

Clearly though, enough people "like" it for it to have grossed what it did. My sister was a PW fan so I got her the 1-6 box set last Christmas. While I don't plan on buying this movie, I'd imagine she might get it, to add it to the "collection".

Anyway I'm guessing these discussions on AVS are more geared towards the A/V aspects of the release and not the more subjective quality of the film itself. So I'll just leave it at that.
post #50 of 108 Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron_On_Bass View Post
Loved this movie...It was a little over the top but the sound was very good.
"A little over the top"?

Spoiler!
post #51 of 108 Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 460
The entire series is a lot more than just "a little over the top." A lot of it borderlines or completely crosses the line of absurdness.

Spoiler!

Still I love the series because it is a whole, whole lot of fun!!!

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #52 of 108 Old 09-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
"A little over the top"?

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
The entire series is a lot more than just "a little over the top." A lot of it borderlines or completely crosses the line of absurdness.

Spoiler!

Still I love the series because it is a whole, whole lot of fun!!!

Well i guess you haven't seen Mad Max yet......That's extremely over the top....lol
post #53 of 108 Old 09-10-2015, 06:03 PM

I'd say Mad Max is more down-to-earth. ...That's real dust too...and yes I saw it...have the 3D Blu.

* Fast & Furious ... I got them all too, on Blu...and this over-the-top number 7 will join the rest...next Tuesday...you bet.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-10-2015 at 06:07 PM.
post #54 of 108 Old 09-10-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I'd say Mad Max is more down-to-earth. ...That's real dust too...and yes I saw it...have the 3D Blu.

* Fast & Furious ... I got them all too, on Blu...and this over-the-top number 7 will join the rest...next Tuesday...you bet.
post #55 of 108 Old 09-10-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron_On_Bass View Post
post #56 of 108 Old 09-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks Ralph. I did not watch this in theaters. Just watched it at home in Blu Ray Quality. Good entertainment.

Cheers
post #57 of 108 Old 09-14-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2778 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Anyone know what content is added to the Walmart exclusive release?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Furious-7-...creen/44433504
post #58 of 108 Old 09-14-2015, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 370
ordered the blu ray today!
post #59 of 108 Old 09-15-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2778 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Anyone know what content is added to the Walmart exclusive release?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Furious-7-...creen/44433504
I bought the “Exclusive” version from Walmart today for $2 more than the regular version they had next to it. From the packing it appears that they are identical discs with the exact same content. Did anyone find out what the difference is?
post #60 of 108 Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Not all movies need to be smart with award winning acting to be enjoyable. Sometimes I just want to throw on a movie and watch some sweet action scenes.

Furious 7 is just FUN, plain and simple. Loved it in the theaters and can't wait to watch it again at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page