Furious 7 (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #1 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 3600
Furious 7 (Blu-ray) Official AVS Forum Review

See Ralph Potts' review of the seventh installment in the global blockbuster franchise that delivers the biggest adrenaline rush yet.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG-13/NR
Feature running time: 138/140 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Tyrese Gibson, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Chris Bridges, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Djimon Hounsu, Kurt Russell, Nathalie Emmanuel
Directed by: James Wan
Music by: Brian Tyler
Written by: Chris Morgan
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 15, 2015

"One crew. One final ride…"

My Take:

I would like to begin my comments by expressing my sorrow at the untimely death of Paul Walker who has been not only a large component in this film franchise but has appeared in many films. Seeing him here reminded me what a charming and charismatic presence he had onscreen.

Targeted by a cold-blooded black-ops assassin with a score to settle (Jason Statham), their only hope is to get behind the wheel again and secure an ingenious prototype tracking device. Facing their greatest threat yet in places as far away as Abu Dhabi and as familiar as the Los Angeles streets they call home, the crew must come together once again as a team, and as a family, to protect their own.

I haven’t be a devout fan when it comes to the Fast & Furious films. I haven’t seen them all but have definitely enjoyed those that I have. Furious 7 is essentially no different and is an adrenaline rush that grabs on early and doesn’t let go. Chris Morgan’s script revolves around two plot points, one involving revenge against Dom and company by the brother of Owen Shaw and the other involving securing a computer hacker with a connection to a sought after prototype of a global tracking device known as God’s Eye”. There is little here that we haven’t seen from a conceptual standpoint but I didn’t have a problem with it. The truth is that we really don’t watch this film franchise seeking well rounded narratives with deep meaning, we are in it for the high octane action and brother, there is plenty to go around. There are several big ticket set pieces fueled by superb driving, frenetic pacing, high flying stunt work (literally) and the requisite number of muscle cars that up the ante. Yes, it’s insanely over the top and a little campy, but who cares!?

The returning members of the core cast clearly share close bonds and that comes through onscreen. The new faces, in my man Jason Statham and Nathalie Emmanuel, compliment the proceedings quite nicely, although Kurt Russell, a personal favorite, wasn’t a good fit. Furious 7 also takes the time to bid a touching farewell to Paul Walker, an integral member of the Fast family.

Delivering exactly what it promises Furious 7 is an unabashedly entertaining and bittersweet thrill ride that ratchet’s up the adrenaline and is just plain fun to watch.

Universal has included both the theatrical, which I watched during my evaluation, as well as a 2 minute longer, extended edition. I feel comfortable saying that fans probably can’t go wrong either way.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for prolonged sequences of frenetic violence, action and mayhem, suggestive content and brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Furious 7 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts image quality that is indicative of a newer release film. Resolution is generally strong as images have crisp definition and lucid clarity. Objects onscreen appear dimensionally strong with exquisite rendering that discloses subtle minutia captured by the camera’s lens during close ups. The level of sharpness fluctuates some however this is attributable the extensive CGI used and it doesn’t adversely affect the quality of the video. The color palette isn’t particularly extensive as grays and other neutral colors are heavily utilized.

Primary colors come in various shades that when coupled along with sequences containing bright/dynamic highlights gives images enriching tonal warmth. Fleshtones are naturally rendered with warm accents that give them lifelike tonality. Blacks are inky and noise free with discernibly deep gradations that enhance the films many dark sequences. The deep shadows, multi-staged grays, delineated colors, and inky blacks looked terrific on my large screen. I didn’t see any overt signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise.

This 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is aggressive and features an active surround mix that has extended dynamic range that positively renders the bombastic nature of the elements in the recording. The action based sequences transform the listening area into a three dimensional sound field filled via immersive surround activity that mates perfectly with the events unfolding onscreen. Low frequency effects produce deep resonating bass that rumbles with tactile authority that occasionally pressurizes the room. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity that imparts just the slightest hint of sibilance in the upper registers. This is a wonderfully involving and dynamically rewarding sound design that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation and rhythmically charged bass extension. My advice is to crank this one up, sit back and enjoy.

Bonus Features:
  • *Exclusive*(HD) Extended and Theatrical versions of Furious 7
  • *Exclusive*(HD) 4 deleted scenes
  • *Exclusive*(HD) The cars of Furious – 10 minute featurette
  • *Exclusive*(HD) Flying cars – 5 minute featurette
  • *Exclusive*(HD) Tower jumps – 7 minute featurette
  • *Exclusive*(HD) Inside the fight – A look inside the fierce hand-to-hand fights in the film - 4 segments
  • *Exclusive*(HD) Talking fast - 31 minute feature hosted by director James Wan
  • *Exclusive*(HD) “See you again” music videi
  • (HD) Back to the starting line – 12 minute featurette
  • (HD) Race Wars: Furious 7 – 6 minute featurette
  • (HD) Snatch and grab – 7 minute featurette
  • (HD) Making of Fast & Furious Supercharged Ride – 8 minutes
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Furious 7 successfully adds another entertaining layer to this popular franchise that continues to prove that in some cases more is better. The untimely and tragic death of star Paul Walker was a terrible loss for his family and the series. The Fast & Furious franchise stands as a testament to his legacy and provides fans with a great way to remember him. Furious 7 comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring a terrific audio/video presentation that is highlighted by a reference quality DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. The supplemental package is equally deserving of praise and provides a great look behind the scenes at the film’s production. If you’re a genre fan this one deserves a place in your Blu-ray collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 09-01-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3517
Another great review! And day one blind buy for me as usual
post #3 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Great Review, Pre-Ordered, cannot wait!

post #4 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Great review, day one purchase.
post #5 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Pure entertainment at its best, BTW great review as always.

The Fast 8 coming in 2017. (8th in series).

Oppo Beta Group
post #6 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I really enjoyed the film but it was certainly a bittersweet experience. I felt as though Paul Walker's character was made secondary to the relationship with Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson's characters. I'm wonering if that's due to rewrites after his untimely passing to lay the groundwork for future installments or if it was intended to be like that.

post #7 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 342
On my list to buy for sure, sadly I will never forget my first day living in LA, is the same day Paul Walker passed away, and he was one of these few celebs I was hoping to one day run into.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #8 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1555
Really? Saw this in the theater- nothing better was playing at the time. Had a hard time staying awake. Beyond ridiculous, horrendous "acting" from Diesel and Rodriguez, just an awful movie even given its premise.

Johnson and Statham were the only things that made the movie even remotely watchable. I'd rather watch all four Transformer movies back to back than watch this again but.......

I'm sure my kids will want to see this so maybe the second time through with plenty of beer will make it better.
yadfgp likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #9 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Another great review! And day one blind buy for me
philmike21 likes this.
post #10 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 513
I will take your advice Ralph....I will crank and enjoy. Can't wait for release.
philmike21 likes this.

Nabs17
post #11 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm so shocked that there has been SEVEN of these movies. Awful movies with awful actors.
post #12 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 05:04 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk
That was a nice touch Ralph.
januza, philmike21, P007 and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Thanks Ralph. Great review. I like this movie. Why extended version has red colour in your picture but Amazon has only blue colour text , is it the same one ? Thx

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00VMNK...CzL&ref=plSrch
post #14 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Thanks Ralph. Great review. I like this movie.
Why extended version has red color in your picture but Amazon has only blue color text, is it the same one? Thx

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00VMNK...CzL&ref=plSrch
Yes it is the same Roudan; both include the extended edition...two cuts of the film. The extended one is only couple minutes more.
...Only different front picture covers (banner color)...that's all.
Roudan likes this.
post #15 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
I'm so shocked that there has been SEVEN of these movies. Awful movies with awful actors.
...because people like them? I have many academy award winning movies in my collection. They are gathering dust while I throw in my collection of Fast and the Furious movies time and time again. Why? Because they're fun to watch. No the acting isn't great. Yes, the plot is often full of holes. But...there is plenty of action, awesome cars and gorgeous women. They are an audio visual feast. Grab some popcorn, lighten up and enjoy the show!
post #16 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Watched it a few days ago... Very hard to watch the ending.. damn sad...
philmike21 likes this.
post #17 of 108 Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
One of my favorite franchises it has a very nostalgic feel for me especially the first one. not all of the are perfect but for most of us have been following these actors since their first film and respect them for being very straight forward and respectable and most definitely the most loved, real and respected family in movie history on and off the set.

my collection i have all steelbook cant wait to collect #7

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts Heavy Cinematic | Heavy Electronic|
post #18 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Great film saw it last week. Definitely one to have in the collection.

Frank

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #19 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thank you for the review Ralph.

Going by the high score for audio, I presume it is a different mix than the earlier released Region B Blu Ray.
post #20 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorik View Post
Thank you for the review Ralph.

Going by the high score for audio, I presume it is a different mix than the earlier released Region B Blu Ray.

How is it a different mix ?

Frank

post #21 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
How is it a different mix ?

Frank
Boomy bass along with overcrowded and harsh mix (especially during the action sequences) on the earlier released (July 29) Spanish BD (with English 7.1).

I don't know if it was a different mix or I received a bad blu ray.
post #22 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorik View Post
Boomy bass along with overcrowded and harsh mix (especially during the action sequences) on the earlier released (July 29) Spanish BD (with English 7.1).

I don't know if it was a different mix or I received a bad blu ray.

I have an Australian Copy region B didn't have issue. Nice tight LFE it was really good. Didn't find it a harsh mix.

Frank

post #23 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well i was always a fan of car movies and Fast & Furious series became one of my favorites. For Furious 7 was no different. It was very fun to watch and also i think they made an amazing job for Paul Walker's cgi face. I didnt notice any fake cgi of Paul Walker's face. I keep saying to myself where they used his brother where is fake Paul. No cant see. The movie was very fun and awesome car action as the previous movies but i think Statham should have more screen time. Maybe they use him more in next movies. The action was very good but dont expect any realizm.

When a movie doesn't have any element of sci-fi/fantasy i expect them more realistic. But furious 7 is not. There are a lot scenes werent realistic. Vin Diesel character must have some super power now he can lift cars (for this scene the rock will more convincing) and he could walk from a wrecked car which fall from mountain. If they avoid those silly scenes i think the upcoming movies more good.
post #24 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Really? Saw this in the theater- nothing better was playing at the time. Had a hard time staying awake. Beyond ridiculous, horrendous "acting" from Diesel and Rodriguez, just an awful movie even given its premise.

Johnson and Statham were the only things that made the movie even remotely watchable. I'd rather watch all four Transformer movies back to back than watch this again but.......

I'm sure my kids will want to see this so maybe the second time through with plenty of beer will make it better.
Agreed, this movie is difficult to watch in 1 sitting. I have to pause 3 or 4 times in order to complete it!
post #25 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Ditto
post #26 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

It's too bad you didn't like it. As for beer...I've found there isn't much that won't be better when there's plenty of beer.
Kini62 likes this.
post #27 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Worst dts hd soundtrack I have ever heard, watch Mad Max and you will understand the difference between an excellent soundtrack to an anemic soundtrack.
lgans316, WontonNoodle and MrGrey like this.
post #28 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM

Arrow Furious 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1shark View Post
Worst dts hd soundtrack I have ever heard, watch Mad Max and you will understand the difference between an excellent soundtrack to an anemic soundtrack.
But read what Ralph said about that dts audio soundtrack...and he gave it a 96 score.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-16-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
post #29 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
But read what Ralph said about that dts audio soundtrack...and he gave it a 96 score.
Well, there seems to be disagreement between us..
bargervais and WontonNoodle like this.
post #30 of 108 Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 3600
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Quote:
Well, there seems to be disagreement between us..
Greetings,

My advice would be to listen for yourself Bob. Far be it from me to tell someone that their opinion is wrong especially when I know nothing about their listening environment or experience. If he says that it's the worst DTS-HD MA track he has heard I will take his word for it. I obviously didn't have that experience...

Regards,
Cal68 and bargervais like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags