Everest 3D Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #31 of 80 Old 01-08-2016, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Great review Ralph! I saw this on in 3D in theaters while visiting Hawaii for work and absolutely loved it! One of my favorites of the year, and that was unexpected as the trailers didn't do much for me. Really looking forward to checking this one out at home, especially with the Atmos soundtrack!
Greetings,

Awesome Kris! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it once you've seen it at home.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 Old 01-08-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

FYI - I ran a set of monopole's in place of the QS8's as an experiment after setting up Atmos and found that I much preferred the sound reproduction of the QS8s. Depending on the room/placement everyone's mileage may vary.

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. Goes to show how each room and user preference varies. I loved my QS8's and hope that the switch to monopole isn't going to detract from the experience I've come to love.

On an on track note. I wasn't too interested in this movie until your review. Like someone else mentioned; with a 100/100/96, how can you not add this to your collection (I hate to admit it but I've watched some pretty bad flicks for the sound alone).
Ralph Potts likes this.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #33 of 80 Old 01-10-2016, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio 5.1

When I check the amazon product information and the official web bag everestmovie.com page it seems to be a 5.1. Is there a version that has 7.1?

post #34 of 80 Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance_60031 View Post
When I check the amazon product information and the official web bag everestmovie.com page it seems to be a 5.1. Is there a version that has 7.1?
The link you posted leads to http://www.uphe.com/movies/everest which shows the blu ray to contain Atmos, so not sure where you are seeing 5.1 for blu ray.
post #35 of 80 Old 01-11-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 572
As always, great review Ralph. I'm thinking that this one will be a Redbox title for me. I'm pleased it's Universal so I at least know that I will get Atmos with it. This is the kind of movie where I have high expectations for Atmos. While I haven't seen yet, the very description of the movie suggests that there is going to be a lot in the way of ambient noise (largely weather related) that I think ultimately will be the real way that Atmos sucks you into the film.
Ralph Potts likes this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #36 of 80 Old 01-11-2016, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
As always, great review Ralph. I'm thinking that this one will be a Redbox title for me. I'm pleased it's Universal so I at least know that I will get Atmos with it. This is the kind of movie where I have high expectations for Atmos. While I haven't seen yet, the very description of the movie suggests that there is going to be a lot in the way of ambient noise (largely weather related) that I think ultimately will be the real way that Atmos sucks you into the film.
Greetings,

Great! I hope you enjoy it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #37 of 80 Old 01-12-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorik View Post
The link you posted leads to http://www.uphe.com/movies/everest which shows the blu ray to contain Atmos, so not sure where you are seeing 5.1 for blu ray.
Right under the Atmos.
It indicates Dolby 5.1.

post #38 of 80 Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ended seeing a decent deal for the 3D version and ordering. Couldn't resist some 3D Atmos goodness.
post #39 of 80 Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great review, look forward to watching this in 3D with Atmos!
post #40 of 80 Old 01-16-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Would anybody like to comment on the IMAX "LieMAX" debacle? Hard to fathom we all pay extra money for IMAX In most theaters when in fact most IMAX theaters are just impostors(for example, I go to the UA Westbury, in Westbury NY (Long Island to be specific and that screen digitally stretches the image to fit the IMAX screen. It's not real IMAX, hence the mocking LIEMAX, reference). Any Thoughts/rants/contemplations/and/or confabulations anyone? Yes/no
post #41 of 80 Old 01-18-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Picked this one up today will be watching tomorrow night. Thanks for the review!!

Frank

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #42 of 80 Old 01-18-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Wasn't considering this until this review. How can I resist a 100 audio, 100 video(2d) and a 96 Atmos score. I can't.
couldn't agree more mine will be here tomorrow can't wait and thanks again Ralph for another great Review.

DEN Atmos Samsung UN65KS8000 Roku Ultra Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 UHD audio. Polk Audio OWM3 Speakers / top middle on Ceiling / 300MGB Spectrum / Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player / 26 UHD Blu-Rays Living Room Atmos Samsung PN60E8000+SEK2000 / Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ 300MGB Spectrum / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers, MICCA M-8S FH on wall /TM in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs. BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 using tv speakers for now
post #43 of 80 Old 01-20-2016, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Ralph, watched it last night. Wow sounding amazing. My room was filled with windstorm snowstorm thunderstorm helicopter . I have 19 atmos disc . I personally think this is the best atmos. Thanks for great review.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #44 of 80 Old 01-20-2016, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Watched the 3D version yesterday with Atmos.. Has to be one of the most aggressive Atmos tracks I have experienced so far. The bass was pretty intense as well. Overall a great demo worthy movie.
Ralph Potts likes this.

My home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 10 Sealed UXL-18, 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
post #45 of 80 Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Ralph, watched it last night. Wow sounding amazing. My room was filled with windstorm snowstorm thunderstorm helicopter . I have 19 atmos disc . I personally think this is the best atmos. Thanks for great review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
Watched the 3D version yesterday with Atmos.. Has to be one of the most aggressive Atmos tracks I have experienced so far. The bass was pretty intense as well. Overall a great demo worthy movie.
Greetings,

Great to hear you enjoyed this guys! Thanks for posting your impressions.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #46 of 80 Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Great review Ralph!
I watched this movie last night and agreed with your ratings.
In terms of the story, I didn't had that much information on the 1996 tragedy. Hats off to the people that like that hobby, but it is not my cup of tea. After watching the movie, my wife now appreciates more that I have my HT as a hobby rather than to try other crazy things.
The 3D was nicely done. However, the sound is fantastic. There is plenty of demo worthy material.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection
JVC DLA-X750R (calibrated with calman 5 and c6 hdr meter), ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system,B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Oppo UDP 203 player, Roku Ultra and Harmony Elite remote.
post #47 of 80 Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
Great review Ralph!
I watched this movie last night and agreed with your ratings.
In terms of the story, I didn't had that much information on the 1996 tragedy. Hats off to the people that like that hobby, but it is not my cup of tea. After watching the movie, my wife now appreciates more that I have my HT as a hobby rather than to try other crazy things.
The 3D was nicely done. However, the sound is fantastic. There is plenty of demo worthy material.
Greetings,

Excellent Chris! Glad you enjoyed it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #48 of 80 Old 01-21-2016, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Watched this last night, alone. Will watch again with the whole family. This is a great movie to watch with friends and family, a movie that needs to be discussed. The bluray is superb. First must buy of this year. I've had atmos since the start, and dare I say this is the best use of atmos yet. It feels like you are in the blizzard and on the mountain. And the picture is amazing.
ImaStar, Ralph Potts and Toe like this.

For those about to rock we salute you!
post #49 of 80 Old 01-21-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Fantastic film, I really enjoyed this one. The audio and pq was amazing. Thank you for your review.

Frank
ImaStar, Ralph Potts and Toe like this.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #50 of 80 Old 01-21-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Found the 3D PQ on this a bit on the dark side, especially compared to the 2D.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #51 of 80 Old 01-21-2016, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
I watched Everest - 3D couple nights ago...what an incredible true tragedy on the mountain!

The film's values were quite high; the actors not really the best for those elements though...IMHO.
The blizzard was wild all over my living room with the windows ratting and the wine glasses dancing.
The 3D effects were pretty good...helped of course by those kind of scenery...mountains and bright white illuminated snow.

Highly rated by our reviewer; and very hard to disagree from his perspective. It's a polished picture for sure and sound wise too.
I wished the story more dramatic tough, as if I was more involved with the actors...a more interactive affair.

Overall worth the climb.
post #52 of 80 Old 01-23-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 264
"...I couldn’t help but feel a slight preference for the 3D version as based on the source material it just draws you deeper into the story...."

The above quotes are from Ralph Potts' review and I cannot agree more. The best way to appreciate this movie is in 3D. Great movie, great review and great ratings.
post #53 of 80 Old 01-23-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This may be the best Atmos movie I've heard with the possible exception of Mad Max. Technically the movie was very impressive. Beyond that it was a great film, my wife and I really enjoyed it.
post #54 of 80 Old 01-24-2016, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Fully agree that this is a touchy movie of a true story. Just do not understand why these people let their family at home and went for such a dangerous mountain climbing.
Many people are working desperately to live in S.E. Asia (China, India, Vietnam, Thai, Indonesia, Philippines), South America and Africa. But most of the maintain climbers are American and European. Mostly that they are too rich in their life and would kill themselves earlier by taking the most risky game. It is senseless to me.
leadliner likes this.
post #55 of 80 Old 01-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwok lau View Post
Fully agree that this is a touchy movie of a true story. Just do not understand why these people let their family at home and went for such a dangerous mountain climbing.
Many people are working desperately to live in S.E. Asia (China, India, Vietnam, Thai, Indonesia, Philippines), South America and Africa. But most of the maintain climbers are American and European. Mostly that they are too rich in their life and would kill themselves earlier by taking the most risky game. It is senseless to me.
It's a business, with congested highways of human chains on the highest mountains. ...The debris accumulate, trash of oxygen bottles, scrapped metal, human bodies exposed to the elements (cold, snow, winds, ...); there are no trash cans and no trucks driving by to take care of them. Even the human bodies can't have their normal burials as we do down here @ lower levels. It's ok though, they are frozen on the mountains...some of them, others buried under ice and snow, and never to be found.

Money, ego pushes many to ascent, and ultimately descent to their own destiny...death. The mountains become tourist attractions, documentaries, ...the same trails are used by everyone, and that's why we have major human jams that become catastrophic, because time on the mountains, when you try to reach the highest peak, is of vital importance. ...And quick changes on the weather.

'Everest' in (((3D))) is more than a film with pretty pictures, actors, sounds from all around...it's a eye-opening reality of today's gathering of multitude of people inundating and paralyzing the trails to a still stand. You cannot climb anymore with freedom like it used to be in the fifties. You have to predict the human chain gangs of rich people who pay others to help them reach the top...death. Some pay up to $100,000 for this!

Sixty years ago, and before, you didn't have that mentality to that extreme...the challenge wasn't blocked by human chain gangs...you could still climb without being blocked in front of you.

♦ There are many great documentaries about Everest, K2, Meru, etc., and they explore/reveal in much more details the intricacies/emotions/human and natural tragedies than the film 'Everest' here does. The film is good, it incites to search and discover more on the goals and determination of people from all over the world, including the ones who would risk their life, their families, everything in the world that they have and don't have to reach the summit.
It's a very strong ambition, a determination that no one can stop or change in some people. ...It's part of human nature.

'Everest' in 3D is good, but not as good as many good documentaries with real-life action climbing. ...Risks and all.
'The Martian' in 3D, technically wise, is better. ...From my own eyes.
G-Rex and kwok lau like this.
post #56 of 80 Old 01-24-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
time on the mountains, when you try to reach the highest peak, is of vital importance. ...And quick changes on the weather.

'Everest' in (((3D))) is more than a film with pretty pictures, actors, sounds from all around...it's a eye-opening reality of today's gathering of multitude of people inundating and paralyzing the trails to a still stand. You cannot climb anymore with freedom like it used to be in the fifties. You have to predict the human chain gangs of rich people who pay others to help them reach the top...death. Some pay up to $100,000 for this!

Sixty years ago, and before, you didn't have that mentality to that extreme...the challenge wasn't blocked by human chain gangs...you could still climb without being blocked in front of you.
Can we do something about roadway traffic first?
post #57 of 80 Old 01-24-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
Can we do something about roadway traffic first?
Yes, it's up to the mountain patrols with the climbers and guides to organize themselves. Right now there is no prevention of human traffic jams.

It's like back east, with the blizzard and snow; people are warned to stay home and not to be on the roads and highways. And yet they ignore the warnings and get trapped for more than 24 hours in 50-mile long traffic stall. People are dead too...more than twenty so far.

'Everest' is no different today with all the climbers.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-24-2016 at 01:20 PM.
post #58 of 80 Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Really enjoyed this movie. The movie had a stark realness to it due to the understated performances of the actors which actually elevated the movie. They felt like real people and not actors trying to play real people by amping up the roles with hollywood stereotypes. It didn't feel like it was glamorized too much to create false drama that is usually the case with films that are "based" on true stories. From what I read, the movie is pretty accurate to what really happened. By not putting some false event to create some unneeded conflict, it made the movie much more effective. I found the tension and suspense here much more effective than something like the Martian which had a crisis every 10 minutes and a solution 10 seconds later which robbed it of any tension.

And wow what a picture. It may be the best looking BR film I have ever seen. The colors just popped and images razor sharp and the landscape only enhanced it even more. This is the beauty queen of BR's. People watching this with me would not believe me when I said I didn't buy a new 4K TV and this wasn't a 4K disc. In fact I don't think I've seen a 4K picture this good because the only things available with 4K are compressed Netflix shows and those pale in comparison to the image in this movie. The sound was enveloping as well. Must own for anyone who likes these type of adventure movies simply for the picture and sound alone.
post #59 of 80 Old 01-29-2016, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
Really enjoyed this movie. The movie had a stark realness to it due to the understated performances of the actors which actually elevated the movie. They felt like real people and not actors trying to play real people by amping up the roles with hollywood stereotypes. It didn't feel like it was glamorized too much to create false drama that is usually the case with films that are "based" on true stories. From what I read, the movie is pretty accurate to what really happened. By not putting some false event to create some unneeded conflict, it made the movie much more effective. I found the tension and suspense here much more effective than something like the Martian which had a crisis every 10 minutes and a solution 10 seconds later which robbed it of any tension.

And wow what a picture. It may be the best looking BR film I have ever seen. The colors just popped and images razor sharp and the landscape only enhanced it even more. This is the beauty queen of BR's. People watching this with me would not believe me when I said I didn't buy a new 4K TV and this wasn't a 4K disc. In fact I don't think I've seen a 4K picture this good because the only things available with 4K are compressed Netflix shows and those pale in comparison to the image in this movie. The sound was enveloping as well. Must own for anyone who likes these type of adventure movies simply for the picture and sound alone.
Greetings,

Great stuff Dan. Thanks for posting your thoughts/impressions.

Regards,
Yosemite Dan likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #60 of 80 Old 01-29-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Watched this movie this week and really, really enjoyed it. To echo what Yosemite Dan said, I think the fact that they didn’t try to dramatize things that didn’t happen in the actual story, added to the realism that I felt in the film. It is a little bit slower to start getting really intense, but it did not feel like it dragged at all. I also was really amazed and wondered how they actually filmed it, whether or not it was on Everest or not. Watching the extras I surprised to see just how much was actually filmed in a studio because I remember watching those sequences and really felt that they were there on the mountain. They did a fantastic job blending different locations and even CG together to make it really feel like it was Everest.

I started watching it again with the director’s commentary, so I will probably be finishing that this weekend sometime.
Ralph Potts and Yosemite Dan like this.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dolby atmos ~ 96 , dolby truehd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page