The Martian Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #91 of 118 Old 01-23-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 389
As I posted earlier, we hated "Gravity" and I wouldn't have finished it if my wife hadn't urged me to continue since I had bought the blu-ray. Not that she liked it but she doesn't like to waste money, so we had to finish it.

Now with "The Martian", I rented it OnDemand ($6) and immediately after the rental, I was ready to buy the blu-ray. Sure parts were slow, but I/we enjoyed the movie.

We all just see things differently. I often watch a critically praised movie and think WTH (heck) while enjoying universally panned movies. I watch "Independence Day" several times a year. I have the "Battleship" blu-ray and have seen it multiple times while barely making it through "American Sniper". I hated the remake of "Dances with Wolves" in the form of "Avatar" in 3D at the movies. Since then I have watched it multiple times at home and enjoyed it. I didn't care for "Guardians of the Galaxy" during my first 3D viewing ($25 blu-ray) but now I watch it all the time (today free on a premium channet during the snow storm).

Critic Leonard Maltin said it best when re-reviewing "The Christmas Story". He basically said he didn't know why he gave such a negative review years earlier when the movie was in theaters. Maybe he was having a bad day or maybe someone was talking or maybe something was happening in his life was all he could come up with 20 years later while admitting he was wrong and it was a great movie.

Maybe we were having a bad day when we watched "Gravity".

I have found two things that impact my feelings about movies. First, a bad free movie is more likely to be "okay" while a bad/okay movie in which I wasted money on is just "bad". I enjoyed "Pixels" for a buck fifty and would've hated it at twenty. Second, everything is better in my home theater (16x9 169 inches) than any commercial theater experience or just watching it on an average sized TV.

Oops. I should have added a third for today. Everything is better when the weather is bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jansnow.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1203849  
mtbdudex likes this.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It must be heightened expectations or I'm getting crusty in my old age but after watching yesterday I thought The Martian was rather dull. I never really felt that Damon was in mortal danger. Whenever a life threatening problem occurred, it was conveniently solved in the very next scene. No food? I'll just grow potatoes even though it was never done before on Mars because I'm a botonist even though I'm not sure what he did that your average gardner couldn't have done. Can't send a probe? The Chinese will save the day. Having trouble taking off from Mars? We'll just operate it remotely. People criticize Gravity for sketchy science but this this movie had it in spades.

I felt more engaged with movies like Apollo 13 where the tension was much more evident and you felt the danger they faced and the circumstances felt dire even though it was factual and they really didn;t add much creative liberty. In this movie Mars looked like a decent place to hang out. Problems seemed forced so they could introduce sketchy solutions to move the plot along. I read somewhere that experts thought the science of this movie was accurate but I find that hard to believe. That boomerang thing seemed rather dubious scientifically speaking. Not to mention everybody seemed to be breaking orders at NASA. And the cutesy soundtrack didn't help. Trying to emulate Guardians of the Galaxy with 70's music might not be the best idea for this type of movie where you are trying to portray the hero as being marooned in an hopeless situation but I guess they needed to win best comedy at the Golden Globes.

And I know it's supposed to be a feel good story but to spend that much time and resources to save one person seemed ridiculous especially when the Chinese got involved. I don't know if that part is in the book but that part felt tacked on to make the movie appeal more to the Asian market. I know they're saving Matt Damon but he's not that good of an actor to waste all that money on. We still got his buddy Ben Affleck.

And why was there gravity on some parts of the ship and not others? They kinda got away with it in Intersteller by saying it was created with centrifugal force but it wouldn't have applied here since it looked like half the ship had gravity and half didn't. It would be nice to have a ship in the near future that looked more realistic and not like the bridge from Star Trek.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 01-24-2016 at 08:21 AM.
post #93 of 118 Old 01-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 77
This movie has a lot of arguments on how easy the survivor can grow potato for food and saved from Mars. And yet, the 3D image quality and super sound are what to enjoy from this movie. Adding Chinese actors and the idea of NASA used Chinese (People of the Republic China - PRC, not Taiwan) to assist saving operation is a wise decision. The Big Movie producers aware that PRC is a huge market to sell their movie by adding Chinese actors in their movie. This is not the first movie doing this.
For example..........Gravity, Transformers, Jurassic World etc.
This is a wise decision to share the money spent by millions of movie goers in China. who like to see their favorite Chinese actor(s) in the movie.

post #94 of 118 Old 01-24-2016, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I enjoyed the movie. Just watched it yesterday and it was a good time. And guys, you are aware that there is actual source material for this movie and it was a book, right? There was some artistic license taken, but the Chinese actually being a part of the solution was not one of them.

Denon X4200W, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Front Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RP-280FA Surround/Atmos (x2), RP-140SA Atmos (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D, Sony UBP-X800, Synology NAS
LG OLED65C6P
post #95 of 118 Old 01-25-2016, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
I enjoyed the movie. Just watched it yesterday and it was a good time. And guys, you are aware that there is actual source material for this movie and it was a book, right? There was some artistic license taken, but the Chinese actually being a part of the solution was not one of them.
Do you have a link...from where we can download that book? ...Then we can compare how accurate is that book. ;-)
post #96 of 118 Old 01-25-2016, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
I always thought this movie was never about space but really about a woman coming to grips with her child's death that uses space as the setting in her mind.
Same here. The container is space, but the story has little to do with space.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #97 of 118 Old 01-25-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Bought this 1 week ago and finally watched Saturday night.
Wow, what a great-great movie!
Totally engaged my whole family (kids 9/11/13), the 140 minutes went by so fast.
Anyone on the fence-post of buying this, just buy it and you will watch it repeated viewings.
(missed it like you Ralph in the commercial cinema)

So many quotes that are classics, a few of my favorites
Spoiler!

The Engineer in me loved the message at the end, as well as other facebook friends who independently said same
Spoiler!

I need to watch this again to absorb more of it..
CosmoNut and KJSteward like this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 01-25-2016 at 09:22 AM.
post #98 of 118 Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Bought this 1 week ago and finally watched Saturday night.
Wow, what a great-great movie!
If you liked the movie that much, you'll adore the book!

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #99 of 118 Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I guess that part bothering you depends on how you interpret the movie because many consider Gravity to be Bullock's dream or hallucination of her trying to move on with her life after her child's death (which I tend to agree). The end of the movie symbolizes her finding the strength to save herself and continue her life despite the tragedy that occurred.

Some parts that defy space logic (like Clooney's death and the Chinese space station being literally around the corner from where they got stranded) doesn't really matter because Clooney's death is a symbolic death. Clooney symbolizes her child as he is attached to her like an ambilical cord and his death after detaching that cord is symbolic of her losing her child and now she has to come to grips with going forward with her life. Clooney saying "you're gonna be OK" right before he drifts away is a way of saying that, despite his letting go of the cord (ie"her child's death), you can move on with your life and save yourself and don't give up. I thought Clooney later coming back to that capsule that was clearly shown as a hallucination confirmed that everything is occurring within Bullock's mind and overcoming her grief.

I always thought this movie was never about space but really about a woman coming to grips with her child's death that uses space as the setting in her mind.
That's a fascinating way to look at the movie! Somehow, I've never heard of that way of thinking about the movie Gravity. Very interesting. I enjoyed the movie and now will look at it differently if I get around to watching it again. Thanks for this explanation. I learned something new today...
post #100 of 118 Old 01-27-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Martian Blu-ray Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
If you liked the movie that much, you'll adore the book!

I'm waiting for my local library digital copy to be available then I'll read it.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

Last edited by mtbdudex; 01-27-2016 at 06:26 PM.
post #101 of 118 Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Sat down and watched this last night, thought it was very enjoyable.

The video transfer did seem a bit dark to my eyes with not a lot of "pop" in the image. Perhaps that was just a result of the color palette that was used. Clarity and depth of the image were both excellent, though.
post #102 of 118 Old 01-29-2016, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Read the book and bought and watched the 3d BluRay.

The book was great, and the film did a pretty good job with staying true, but there's only so much you can do in a 140 min time frame. I think the book and film compliment each other. This is almost never the case

I thought the film was visually gorgeous, and the sound top notch. They used the 3d in a pretty subtle manner, which is good. You want to be immersed but not hammered by the 3d effect.

I don't often re watch movies I buy, but I've watched this twice in a couple of weeks.

Highly recommended !
post #103 of 118 Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Bought it and watched yesterday... loved it. The humor that Damon used in the movie had me laughing out loud multiple times. I thought this was very realistic to how an actual astronaut on a trip to Mars would respond. I remember seeing a documentary about NASA selecting the actual people for the trip that is going to happen in our life time. All of the different personality traits required to actually be selected for this trip. He stayed calm, for the most part, after every set back, because if he didnt start trying to work the problem, hed be dead.

As far as gravity on the ship, in the scenes I watched, only part of the ship was spinning, thus only that pat of the ship would have had gravity. Obviously, this is also speculation as to they even do this, but fro what I have seen, that is the leading choice for dealing with gravity in space as of now.

I loved the growing of food on the planet, and although Im not thinking it would work as described, we will be trying that in the future. Remember that Earth did not have a livable atmosphere long ago. So essentially the fantasy is to speed up the process on Mars and create an earth like atmosphere in the future.So why not!!

There was a couple of scenes that I was clinching my fists with excitement in this movie. The sound effects were AMAZING, and this was the real first test for my system with multiple subs as I just added a second sub last week. This movie had great low frequencies that shook the couch and everything else in the room, which is exactly what you would expect to happen if a rocket was firing near you.

I thought Damon did an outstanding job, as always, which isnt an easy task when you are alone for much of it.

I watched this by myself, but hope to watch it again next weekend when the wife returns from working in Memphis. LOVED this movie.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #104 of 118 Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Ralph is spot on with his reviews once again. Audio and video were perfect. You would think we would get use to the PQ of blurays, but somehow they continue to look better. I think that's the benefit of high resolution cameras these days. So much more detail is captured at source then downscaled to bluray. One of the most crisp blurays i've seen. I wonder how much better the 4KBD is going to look.

Anybody noticed the high treble? It wasn't bothersome, it sounded very good actually.
Ralph Potts likes this.

home theater addict
post #105 of 118 Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
It must be heightened expectations or I'm getting crusty in my old age but after watching yesterday I thought The Martian was rather dull.
Both accounts may be true. But, seriously, bad science and all, this movie is best enjoyed in 3D as well as listening to a good home theater system. The sound is probably 50% of the enjoyment in this movie.
post #106 of 118 Old 02-04-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Both accounts may be true. But, seriously, bad science and all, this movie is best enjoyed in 3D as well as listening to a good home theater system. The sound is probably 50% of the enjoyment in this movie.
I'll have to take your word on the 3D, but 50% enjoyment of the movie resting with the sound, sounds about right as a base minimum to expect of any movie -- falls below that...I don't know, would have to be one hell of a movie to slog it out.............BTW, have not watched for a second time yet -- becoming something of a common practice before making a more definitive comment, but can't get better in my way of thinking, along the lines of one hell of a movie, than anything by Ridley Scott, but then again, you know the audio is going to be killer, so no worries anyway...
post #107 of 118 Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Unlike Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation where the score was always coming in ahead of the action - the score in The Martian is in step with what is happening on screen and enhances the emotional flow that propels us along for the ride .
post #108 of 118 Old 02-14-2016, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Martian Blu-ray Review

Finished the book, saw the movie first, it was a great read.

I'm snow skiing with my 2 boys weekend, they were in the pool and I totally zoned out into the book. Distracted dad time.

Will watch movie again soon.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #109 of 118 Old 02-14-2016, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinEric View Post
Sat down and watched this last night, thought it was very enjoyable.

The video transfer did seem a bit dark to my eyes with not a lot of "pop" in the image. Perhaps that was just a result of the color palette that was used. Clarity and depth of the image were both excellent, though.
<<not a lot of "pop" in the image>>

Not much 'pop' on Mars...
post #110 of 118 Old 02-19-2016, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Watched this the other night fantastic film which will have replay value at home

Frank

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #111 of 118 Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't wait to watch this, the 4K reviews look so good!

TV - Vizio M60-C3
Receiver - Denon AVR-S710W
Speakers - Monoprice 10565
Blu-ray - Xbox One S
post #112 of 118 Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Yeah, when do we get the official 4k reviews? Be nice to see how it compares...
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #113 of 118 Old 02-28-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Ralph: This is an automatic buy. My son just let me borrow his Netflix copy which was not 3D. The sound and clarity was excellent. I was tempted to brushoff some of that Martian dust after the storm from my clothes.. A step above most space movies. Can't wait to see this in 3D soon..(maybe tomorrow).
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #114 of 118 Old 02-28-2016, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Yeah, when do we get the official 4k reviews? Be nice to see how it compares...
Greetings,

Soon. I am working on it..

Regards,
dnoonie likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #115 of 118 Old 02-28-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Should I prep for a 4K table entry? Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Soon. I am working on it..

Regards,
post #116 of 118 Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Of course, now Ralph will be bugged about the 3D and 4K releases now... Can have good 3D and lousy 4K or good 4K and lousy 3D. Time to remind your sources that you want to review both now.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #117 of 118 Old 02-29-2016, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
Should I prep for a 4K table entry? Seriously.
Bill, I would say absolutely. I am in the process of putting an article together as well as decide how the rating system for UHD will be implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Of course, now Ralph will be bugged about the 3D and 4K releases now... Can have good 3D and lousy 4K or good 4K and lousy 3D. Time to remind your sources that you want to review both now.
Already done...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #118 of 118 Old 06-14-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I finally saw this yesterday while waiting on delivery of a Sony 65" 4K tv. First movie played on my new Atmos receiver. Disappointed that this movie did not have Atmos but alas the DTS MASTER AUDIO 7.1 soundtrack did not disappoint. The video was excellent it made me feel I was on Mars with Damon. I saw this via my 1080P projector on 100" screen. I watched the 2D presentation even though I own the 3D combo pack. My next upgrade is to purchase this movie on UHD I bet it looks amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page