59Likes

post #1 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 3294
The Martian Blu-ray Review

From legendary director Ridley Scott comes a gripping tale of human strength and the will to survive, in this engaging thriller based upon the novel by Andy Weir.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2015
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 141 minutes
Genre: Drama/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Jeff Daniels, Season Bean, Kristen Wiig, Michael Pena, Kate Mara, Chiwetel Ejofor, Sebastian Stan, Aksel Hennie
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Music by: Harry Gregson-Williams
Written by:Drew Goddard
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 12, 2016

"Bring Him Home"

My Take:

During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney (Matt Damon) is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive. Millions of miles away, NASA and a team of international scientists work tirelessly to bring “the Martian” home, while his crewmates concurrently plot a daring, if not impossible rescue mission. As these stories of incredible bravery unfold, the world comes together to root for Watney’s safe return.

Based on a best-selling novel, helmed by master director Ridley Scott, and featuring a terrific ensemble cast, headed by star Matt Damon [i]The Martian[i] is all that I hoped it would be. Despite the fervor it caused during its theatrical run I didn't take it in at the theater. I have to say that I regret that as this film was made for the theatrical experience. I haven't read the novel but my wife did and she both liked the movie and felt it was a faithful adaptation.

As I watched I reveled in the superbly drawn character of Mark Watney as we are given a fly on the perspective into his struggle for survival. His ingenuity is quite intriguing while his humor serves as a coping device, enabling him to stave off hopelessness and keep his mind from fixating on the dire circumstances. As the storyline progresses his penchant to remain upbeat and optimistic is vital to the proceedings. The narrative shifts between Mark and the people at home on Earth, now trying to find a way to safely bring him home while coping with the various obstacles and red tape they encounter. The last piece to the puzzle are the members of his crew who after learning of his survival, are faced with a monumental decision.

At 141 minutes I had an initial concern about pacing but that wasn't a problem as I found myself engaged throughout the film. There's a layer peeling aspect to the narrative but the various elements never lose synch as the balance between drama, adventure, levity and suspense are thematically supported. Matt Damon gives a commanding performance but is capably supported by a star studded cast that includes Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels, Michael Peña, Kate Mara, Sean Bean, Sebastian Stan, Aksel Hennie, Donald Glover, Mackenzie Davis, and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Martian. While it's not the first film to feature a person marooned and facing seemingly insurmountable odds, there's a depth and freshness to it that strikes a marvelous and rewarding balance. Kudos to director Ridley Scott, the cast and crew for bringing Andy Weir's novel to the big screen with such exuberance.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some strong language, thematic material/image, and brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Martian comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.

This is a reference quality video presentation that looks superb. Images are visually arresting and have a rich dynamic quality that highlights its near flawless rendering of detail. The video has a three dimensional and razor sharp clarity that never left me wanting. The visual design is pure Ridley Scott as it features a limited color scheme that is aesthetically perfect for the subject matter. The majority of the film boasts deep shades of gray, blue, sepia, white and black. These colors are not vivid in tonality but their depiction is stark and fully appreciable onscreen. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the habitat and the open exterior expanse on Mars look stunning. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. This is a sophisticated visual design that uses more CGI than real imagery. The end result is a superlative video presentation that truly evokes the emotion of the film.

I had high expectations for this soundtrack at home and 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio presentation didn’t disappoint. I was treated to an impeccably detailed, dynamic, and rewarding surround sound experience. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose is definable yet never overstated. The mix makes effective and where appropriate active use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during panning sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and punch. This is an entertaining mix that utilizes the subwoofer to accentuate its dynamic range. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, resonating low frequency detail. Dialog has excellent presence with clear, defining vocal character and noteworthy room penetration. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with terrific soundtrack. The Martian on Blu-ray is an end to end home theater experience that compliments the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Signal Acquired: Writing and Direction – 9 minute featurette
  • (HD) Occupy Mars: Casting and Costumes – 14 minute featurette
  • (HD) Gag Reel – 7 minutes
  • (HD) Production Gallery
  • (HD) Ares III: Refocused – 17 minute faux documentary that takes a deeper look at the true story behind Mark Watney's rescue
  • (HD) 5 Faux Promotional shorts surrounding the Mars mission (s) and people involved:
    1. Ares III: Farewell – 4 minutes
    2. The Right Stuff – 3 minutes
    3. Ares: Our Greatest Adventure – 3 minutes
    4. Leave Your Mark – 1 minute
    5. Bring Him Home – 1 minute
  • (HD) Theatrical Trailer
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the bestselling novel by Andy Weir and helmed by director Ridley Scott, The Martian is a compelling, engrossing and thoroughly entertaining film that is complimented by an excellent cast and apt direction. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring sparkling high definition video, reference quality 7.1 channel lossless sound and a fan friendly assortment of supplements. I thoroughly enjoyed The Martian and highly recommend it on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 01-13-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Great review. I really enjoyed this. I did not read the book but I was engaged the entire movie. It looks like this will also be a 4k release
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ma...lu-ray/147430/
Now all we need are a choice of players and we will be good to go .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I really wanted to catch this gem of a comedy (wink wink) in the theaters. It's good to read that the blu ray release will at least offer excellent picture and sound. I wouldn't really expect anything less from a Ridley Scott film though. Thanks for the review Ralph! So glad to hear Scott returned to form with this one.

post #4 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I think someone might have already posted this somewhere, but it is worth mentioning again.

The cost of saving Matt Damon in movies... I have all of those previous movies on the list, so it made perfect sense to pre-order The Martian. I should finally get it today. Hopefully, it is better than Mission to Mars. Only thing I remember on that one was the guy that played in Sliders playing with M&Ms.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/more-900-...144006190.html
Woobieizer likes this.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).

PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.

Last edited by jevans64; 01-12-2016 at 08:58 AM.
post #5 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
I think someone might have already posted this somewhere, but it is worth mentioning again.

The cost of saving Matt Damon in movies... I have all of those previous movies on the list, so it made perfect sense to pre-order The Martian. I should finally get it today. Hopefully, it is better than Mission to Mars. Only thing I remember on that one was the guy that played in Sliders playing with M&Ms.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/more-900-...144006190.html
That's a funny list. Interstellar was on that list, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Matt Damon was in that movie was he? I know you didn't create that list (obviously) but just thought I would point that out, as the cost would be quite a bit cheaper without the spaceship valued at $90 billion from Intertellar on there haha. Thanks for the post!
post #6 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

^correction, the ship was valued at $500 billion, my mistake
post #7 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
That's a funny list. Interstellar was on that list, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Matt Damon was in that movie was he? I know you didn't create that list (obviously) but just thought I would point that out, as the cost would be quite a bit cheaper without the spaceship valued at $90 billion from Intertellar on there haha. Thanks for the post!
Matt was in the movie ( one of the three remaining explorers they were going to ) and he was very ungrateful at being chosen. It was Matt vs. Matt on the ice planet. LOL I think folks miss him being in it because he wore a space suit the whole time.

Spoiler!

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.

Last edited by jevans64; 01-12-2016 at 09:29 AM.
post #8 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Interstellar was on that list, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Matt Damon was in that movie was he?
That is a good question, isn't it? ;-)

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #9 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 285
So did you not get to review the 3D version, Ralph? I'd be interested in what you thought of it, since it was natively shot in 3D.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #10 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Cant wait to see this one Ralph, thanks for review. I always liked SyFi movies, 2001, Gravity, etc. It did pretty good with the Globe awards winning best motion picture in musical or comedy and best actor in same category..Don't understand the comedy part of that category..

post #11 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Noticed at BB the 4k Blu-Ray is still listed as preorder. I was hoping it would be released at same time as others. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to materialize.
post #12 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
So did you not get to review the 3D version, Ralph? I'd be interested in what you thought of it, since it was natively shot in 3D.
I ordered the 3D version and the mail just got delivered with it. I usually order a movie like this in 3D anyway as there isn't much price difference and watch the 3D version in the main system (only one with 3D capability) and then I usually watch the 2D version within a couple of days on a back-up system (and eventually on the main system). If I get to it, I may watch it later. The Walk, which Ralph also reviewed, was really great in 3D.
markmathers likes this.
post #13 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I pre-ordered the 3D version as well. That is standard practice for me when a 3D version is available. $25 from Amazon ( 3D BD, 2D BD, and DC ) and due by 8PM today. I won't get around to actually watching it until the weekend though.

Last edited by jevans64; 01-12-2016 at 09:39 AM.
post #14 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Cant wait to see this one Ralph, thanks for review. I always liked SyFi movies, 2001, Gravity, etc. It did pretty good with the Globe awards winning best motion picture in musical or comedy and best actor in same category..Don't understand the comedy part of that category..
No one understands the Golden Globes
taxman48 likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #15 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
Matt was in the movie ( one of the three remaining explorers they were going to ) and he was very ungrateful at being chosen. It was Matt vs. Matt on the ice planet. LOL I think folks miss him being in it because he wore a space suit the whole time.

Spoiler!

Oooohhh yes you're absolutely right. My fault. Yea I definitely remember now. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
post #16 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also curious about the 3D version of this one. If I buy, it will be that version.
post #17 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Matt Damon was in the movie Interstellar .
wyattroa likes this.
post #18 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Great review Ralph and I just picked this up from Best Buy today...during lunch. Glad to see a 5 star DSU rating.....looking forward to that.

Nabs17
post #19 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
Greetings,

I requested the 3D version but the studio sent the standard one. I will probably pick up the 3D version as I want to experience it that way as well.

Regards,
CosmoNut and DGilberts like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #20 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I loved the book, and enjoyed the movie. I only wish the widely-speculated extended version of the film was released on blu-ray.
post #21 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I also loved the book, and while I did enjoy the movie... the movie REALLY bypassed 95% of what made the book great, which was Walt using his intelligence to think through all of the end-of-life situations he faced. In the movie the problems either didn't exist, or basically just got magically fixed/completed on their own when he woke up.

I pre-ordered the 3D bluray which should be waiting at home for me when I get home. I haven't yet seen it in 3D so I'm excited to see it. The production quality was outstanding on the 2D version I saw in the theaters.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #22 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I requested the 3D version but the studio sent the standard one. I will probably pick up the 3D version as I want to experience it that way as well.

Regards,
I went to both Target and Walmart for the 3D version, and to my surprise, neither had it. What are their buyers thinking?
post #23 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks for the great review, Ralph!

My copy (3D version) arrived this morning and I plan to watch it later today.

Will report back after seeing it in 3D, then in 2D.

oz
post #24 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Really good flick and review. I will need to pick up the 3D version and give it a go.

My 86 year old mom was out for XMAS out of state and I don't think we have seen a movie at the theaters together in 25 years. We had a blast seeing this one together and it really is a great flick in more ways than just explosions etc.

Very well done movie..

Rick
post #25 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 9896 Post(s)
Liked: 8561
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post
Noticed at BB the 4k Blu-Ray is still listed as preorder. I was hoping it would be released at same time as others. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to materialize.

Being released in 4k HDR on March 1st. currently available through download in 4k HDR via MGO.
post #26 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 899
I read the book and saw the movie... Enjoyable, slow paced but my main complaints was Matt Damon being cast. He just didn't represent Mark Watney the way to book did.. he was just too flip! I found it slogged and didn't have the pace of the book which was mjuch better but, I thought after I finished (knowing a movie was being made) that it'd be a tough scrreen play to make exciting. And it wasn't that exciting.... Lastly, as Watney can only ration
Spoiler!

Damon just seemed to call the performance in...

I'm glad the sound track was highly rated as the sound at the theater was dull and lacked any sort of depth.. and little bass. I'll likely watch it again as my kids did not see it...

Nice review!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #27 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 539
What video score are you going to give the 4K version, Ralph? 150? Haha.

HDR and wider color space better wow me cause blurays on my kuro still look good!
Ralph Potts likes this.

home theater addict
post #28 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Read the book ages ago, and saw it in the theatre, so I am eager awaiting the chance to watch it... I don't recall huge amounts of pop out, but it was more reserved use of 3D than in your face.

It is a very faithful representation of the book - just things were cut out because it would make for a loooong movie. Very few movies follow the book as closely as The Martian does.

Good to know the Blu-Ray transfer is excellent. I will be getting the UHD version even though it will be a little while before I get all my ducks in a row to enjoy it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #29 of 118 Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 PM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
Will be picking this up on Blu Ray

Frank
Ralph Potts likes this.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #30 of 118 Old 01-13-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 996
@Ralph Potts : Thanks for the review! I've been anxiously awaiting this one's release to BR.
It appears the LFE rating is botched up somehow. Can you take a look at that? This is what shows on my computer and phone:
[img]http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699[/img[
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
dts-hd 7.1