Passengers Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #1 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Passengers Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews this sci-fi adventure, starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt, that tells the story about two space passengers aboard a colonization vessel, that are awakened when their spaceship malfunctions.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2016
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 116 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Thriller/Romance

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible), French, Portuguese, Thai, English, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Chinese, French, Indonesian/Bahasa, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai
Starring: Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Sheen, Laurence Fishburne
Directed by: Morten Tyldum
Music by: Thomas Newman
Written by: Jon Spaihts
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: March 14, 2017

"Every Moment Counts"

My Take:

Passengers is a sci-fi adventure, set in the future, that tells the story of Jim and Aurora, two very different people, that are among the 5,000 passengers, who decided to board the Avalon spaceship for a 120-year journey that offers them the opportunity to wake up in a new century, on a new planet. The trip takes a deadly turn when their sleep hibernation pods mysteriously wake them 90 years before they reach their destination. As they try to unravel the mystery behind the malfunction, they discover that the ship itself is in grave danger. With the lives of sleeping passengers and crew, at stake, only Jim and Aurora can save them all.

The teaser trailers that I saw for Passengers piqued my interest, but only from a sci-fi/Chris Pratt/Jennifer Lawrence perspective. I checked out a few reviews and opted to wait for it to come to home video. It wasn’t received very well, so I went into viewing it with low expectations. Honestly, I didn’t mind it at all. Conceptually speaking, it’s not very imaginative, and the development of the narrative is rather poor, in that, it has ample room to raise interesting questions from which to build, but never really goes there. Instead it opts for a weak sci-fi story built around a romantic subplot. Be that as it may, I liked the two characters, especially Chris Pratt’s “Jim Preston”, and found the film’s production design and visuals effects to be marvelous.

No, it’s not going to be at the top of anyone’s list as a cinematic work, but there’s enough chemistry, levity, cheesy romance, and well placed tension, to make for a decent popcorn movie that spared no expense on its production elements, and doesn’t strive to be more than it is. I watched Passengers with my wife and daughter, and we all found it fairly entertaining.

This Blu-ray Combo Pack contains the Ultra HD, 3D, and 2D Blu-ray versions of the film. This review will cover the Ultra HD version. The 2D/3D release will be covered in a separate review.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexuality, nudity, and action/peril.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Passengers comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos (TrueHD 7.1 compatible) sound that has an average bitrate of 2.7 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD, Passengers was derived from a 6.5K source, and rendered from a 4K DI. With the limited exposure to Ultra HD sourced from 4K Digital Intermediates we are left to judge based upon what we have seen thus far.

This is an excellent Ultra HD presentation that looks great on my large screen. This is a sci-fi story, set in the future, that features elements that make use of rich color, boldly applied contrast, and a distinctive visual aesthetic. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the UHD image appears noticeably sharper and vivid when compared to the 1080p version. Primary colors such red, and blue, are pleasingly rich, while whites and grays appear gradational and vibrant. Fleshtones are wonderfully lifelike and consistent throughout the presentation. Looking at the shots of outer space and the exterior hull of the Avalon, the added dimension in blacks and shadows is immediately noticeable. The rendering of detail is noteworthy as the finest minutia in physical features, clothing, or the variety of textures seen on the ships interiors are reproduced with stark realism. The benefits of high dynamic range and wide color gamut are on display as well, as primary colors have an added dimension that makes them eye catching.

Shot digitally, this rendering makes the most of its original elements, which are excellent. Looking at the 1080p version, which is solid in its own right, the difference is noticeable, but not what I would describe as night and day. That being said, there is no question about which of the two makes for the most engaging viewing experience.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of sounds placed above is a mix of atmospherics and discrete effects. This is done well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. Over the course of the film there are various sequences (such as the loss of gravity malfunction) where environmental sounds, music cues and discrete objects are mixed to differing locations in the sound field, adding a head turning element to the viewing experience.

The large set piece in the finale, involving the reactor meltdown, is lots of fun as flying debris, atmospherics, and near field objects rotate, and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. As an aside, I noticed that low frequency affects had a bit more weight to them, when compared to the DTS-HD 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray. Overall, I enjoyed this immersive sound mix, and think that it complimented the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Passengers Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Passengers 3D Blu-ray
    Disc 3: Passengers Blu-ray
  • (HD) 6 Deleted Scenes
  • (HD) Space on Screen: The Visual Effects of Passengers – 7 minute featurette
  • (HD) Outtakes from the Set – 4 minutes
  • (HD) Casting the Passengers – 10 minute featurette
  • (HD) Creating the Avalon – 9 minute featurette
  • (HD) On Set with Chris Pratt – 4 minutes
  • (HD) Book Your Passage – Faux Ad for the Homestead Company
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Passengers is a formulaic sci-fi adventure drama that suffers from an underdeveloped story, but musters enough entertainment value, including solid performances and top notch production elements, to keep interest from waning. It comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray in this Combo Pack from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment that features excellent Ultra HD video, engaging lossless surround sound, including a solid Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a middling but worthwhile supplemental set. Passengers is easily worth the price of a rental, especially on Ultra HD Blu-ray. Give it a spin!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I watched this at the theater and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would going in. I just purchased a 4K OLED a month or so ago and I purchased the combo pack since it was a good price for a 4K disc AND 3D disc and figured it would get a good transfer, and thankfully it is. I watched the first 10 minutes of the 4K and 3D disc last night and it looks and sounds great.
ImaStar and Ralph Potts like this.

Denon X4200W, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Front Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RP-280FA Surround/Atmos (x2), RP-140SA Atmos (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D, Sony UBP-X800, Synology NAS
LG OLED65C6P
post #3 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1535
I knew you didn't forget about this movie! Thanks Ralph!!

Do you ever give a 4K movie a higher "replay value" than a standard blu-ray? I find I sometimes watch movies a second or third time simply because the audio and video quality (pacific rim is a good example).

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 03-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.

post #4 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I knew you didn't forget about this movie! Thanks Ralph!!

Do you ever give a 4K movie a higher "replay value" than a standard blu-ray? I find I sometimes watch movies a second or third time simply because the audio and video quality (pacific rim is a good example).
Greetings,

I factor that in, but probably wouldn't base a higher replay value rating on that solely.

Regards,
Mattopotamus and King Richard like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Thanks Ralph. I was refreshing the websites few times today to see if you have this review coming. Film 3stars and 2.5 replay value plus low RT score . I will pass on this one .
post #6 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10166 Post(s)
Liked: 9140
Watched this today in 4k HDR on my ks9800. Picture was awesome. Sharp and colorful. Really liked the movie too. Lots of replay factor for me. Recommended.
post #7 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3996
The only reason I even saw Passengers was that I could buy the UHD HDR Atmos version from the Kaleidescape store and download it to my Strato. So far, Kscape hasn't been able to get many UHD HDR Atmos versions of new releases. In the end, I was glad I bought this one because I ended up loving it, its somewhat predictable story notwithstanding.

It's hard to go wrong with two stars who have the talent and charm of Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. Both were wonderful in the movie. As Ralph noted, both the video and Atmos audio were reference quality. I was deeply impressed with how the interior spaces of the giant spaceship were depicted and even more impressed with the exterior shots, There is a lot of great stuff to see and hear. I liked it all well enough to watch the film a second time. Highly recommended, 8 Stars out of 10.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #8 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Interesting to note that this UHD release is on a 66GB disc, but only about 55GB in size. I wouldn't call it "bit starved", but I wouldn't say there's a lot of fine detail in the images either. I agree with Ralph its only slightly better than the BD, but the HDR/WCG rescues it. 1st half of this film just drags on and on and on.

Oh, and never trust a bartender.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #9 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
I was intrigue by this one when I saw the previews.

Now it is, a must buy, again
Will look for-it on my next days off.

Thanks for another great and detail review Ralph

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 68 Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1911
I usually wait for your reviews Ralph, but took a a chance on a blind buy on this 4K/UHD on Tuesday.
Totally impressed on first viewing on the 65" OLED with a few lamps on in the room

I'm a Sci-Fi nut and the deep space scenes and the detailed exterior pans of the ship gave a great sense of scale even on the small screen,
But Really looking forward to a repeat on the weekend on the JVC X750/120" Screen.
... at nearly 4X the size I expect to be very impressed with the room blacked out.

The Bass was extremely well done, the Bass-heads in the Sub Woofer section gave it two thumbs up,
which was one of the reasons I was willing to take a chance on this one.

I wasn't expecting great things based on a few trailers I saw as far as the story goes,
So was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed both the story and the performances by the actors.

Replay Value ranks a little higher for me.
I've only got about 50 4K/UHD's, but this one is definitely in my top 10.

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Drop Down Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Oppo UPD-203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS-5000R x2
post #11 of 68 Old 03-16-2017, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Thanks for review Ralph I will give it a rent first.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #12 of 68 Old 03-16-2017, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Interesting to note that this UHD release is on a 66GB disc, but only about 55GB in size. I wouldn't call it "bit starved", but I wouldn't say there's a lot of fine detail in the images either. I agree with Ralph its only slightly better than the BD, but the HDR/WCG rescues it. 1st half of this film just drags on and on and on.

Oh, and never trust a bartender.
Did we read the same review?

Ralph gave the UHD a 96 video score. This is one of the best 4K BDs I've seen. The other reviews available mirror Ralph's grades as well.
post #13 of 68 Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
Did we read the same review?

Ralph gave the UHD a 96 video score. This is one of the best 4K BDs I've seen. The other reviews available mirror Ralph's grades as well.
Ralph's UHD image scores do not relate to the 1080 BD, its not a comparison. Here's what Ralph says:
Quote:
Looking at the 1080p version, which is solid in its own right, the difference is noticeable, but not what I would describe as night and day.
I agreed with this. If you don't agree that's fine.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 68 Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 660
UHD with Atmos and BD with DTS-HD 5.1.. Why do the studios still insist on castrating the BD releases?
ImaStar and Frank714 like this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Pioneer KRP-600a, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #15 of 68 Old 03-16-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I planned see this movie on theater but missed it because i didn't have time. But i had a chance see the movie on pay tv. It more like romantic movie with science fiction elements but I enjoyed it more than I thought. The chemistry between Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt was wonderful and the movie was entertaining and fun. There was a lot of comedy scenes too.
Ralph Potts and King Richard like this.
post #16 of 68 Old 03-16-2017, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 728
I was actually quite surprised with this movie as it got so much negative press. I saw the BD version and it had almost perfect video and very good sound and I actually liked the movie very much and it will have great replay value for me. The fact the Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt are amongst my favoritt actors also helped. The Director is also from my country, but that did not influence my feelings for this movie. I think its biggest flaw was it was very predictable.

I will give the movie 8/10, picture 9/10 and sound 8/10.
King Richard likes this.
post #17 of 68 Old 03-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Thanks Ralph for the excellent review. I watched the 3D version and it does look excellent in 3D but shame on Sony for not providing Atmos on the 3D disc. I am planning to wait for a little while then watch the UHD version with Atmos.
King Richard likes this.

My home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 10 Sealed UXL-18, 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
post #18 of 68 Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
UHD with Atmos and BD with DTS-HD 5.1.. Why do the studios still insist on castrating the BD releases?
Pure speculation, but I suppose it's to push us to buy the UHD versions.

It's obvious, although that doesn't mean that it's true, I admit.
Mattopotamus likes this.
post #19 of 68 Old 03-17-2017, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I rented and watched the UHD last night (my projector isn't 4k UHD, but I have Atmos). I really loved the picture and sound.

Not sure the replay value, though. The story wasn't as lame/predictable as some reviews led me to believe, but it was very straight forward. The ending felt very abrupt and rushed. Like the last 5 minutes/epilogue piece. I enjoyed the movie, but might wait until it drops in price to pick it up.

I liked Gravity in Atmos more if only because it had more action. Overall, though, it was easily worth the rental and time to watch. I happy I saw it.
dnoonie likes this.

Last edited by HarpNinja; 03-17-2017 at 05:40 AM.
post #20 of 68 Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Pure speculation, but I suppose it's to push us to buy the UHD versions.

It's obvious, although that doesn't mean that it's true, I admit.
I think that is a pretty fair assumption. I would do that if I was the one making decisions.
post #21 of 68 Old 03-17-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Went with friends to see this one at the theater and we all enjoyed it. Looking forward to firing it up tonight (date night )

Great review as usual Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB12 Plus (x2)
Denon X4300H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
OPPO UDP-203 / PS4 Pro
Sony XBR75X940C
GIK Acoustics (Tri-Trap / 244 / Monster)
post #22 of 68 Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Went with friends to see this one at the theater and we all enjoyed it. Looking forward to firing it up tonight (date night )

Great review as usual Ralph
Greetings,

Thanks! Be sure to post back with your thoughts afterward..

Regards,
ray0414 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 68 Old 03-18-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Review spot-on Ralph! Watched the 4K version last night via my SonyX930D & Oppo 203, & simply blown away by the colors and overall graphics. Now this is what UHD is all about! Thanks!
Ralph Potts and ray0414 like this.
post #24 of 68 Old 03-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Ralph, between this one and Sing , which UHD is better bin terms of PQ and AQ? Thx
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #25 of 68 Old 03-18-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Watched this on Thursday and thought the PQ was amazing.
Ralph Potts and ray0414 like this.
post #26 of 68 Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Ralph, between this one and Sing , which UHD is better bin terms of PQ and AQ? Thx
Greetings,

They are both top notch. Seeing as one is animation and one is live action, they are different. I would say, get them both..

Regards,
Roudan likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #27 of 68 Old 03-18-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 360
My wife and I just watched this on 4K sitting on our soft sofa with the dogs laying beside us.

First: Ralph a great review. Thanks.

From everything I have read, it seemed to me that the video and audio were going to be fantastic. I agree 100%.

And the movie itself was going to be a 2-2.5 out of 5 BUT I really enjoyed it. Definitely going to re-watch and give it a 4 out of 5.

Ralph Potts, G-Rex, slimm and 3 others like this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung UN78JS9500,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #28 of 68 Old 03-18-2017, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Gave it a go and I enjoyed it. Not sure why people hated it - sure the transitions between acts was a bit abrupt, but you could see the third act build up and turn into a rather enjoyable film. The ending felt a bit rushed (what did they end up doing between saving the ship and their passing?) but a film I certainly don't regret buying.
G-Rex, slimm and darthray like this.
post #29 of 68 Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
My wife and I just watched this on 4K sitting on our soft sofa with the dogs laying beside us.

First: Ralph a great review. Thanks.

From everything I have read, it seemed to me that the video and audio were going to be fantastic. I agree 100%.

And the movie itself was going to be a 2-2.5 out of 5 BUT I really enjoyed it. Definitely going to re-watch and give it a 4 out of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Gave it a go and I enjoyed it. Not sure why people hated it - sure the transitions between acts was a bit abrupt, but you could see the third act build up and turn into a rather enjoyable film. The ending felt a bit rushed (what did they end up doing between saving the ship and their passing?) but a film I certainly don't regret buying.

Thanks guys, to re inforce my self to purchase this on

Ray
post #30 of 68 Old 03-20-2017, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 76
We had seen this in the theater, so the wife and I liked the movie. Viewing the 4K version at home was way better. I thought the picture was very good, but the sound was fantastic. This is probably one of the best Atmos' mix I have heard.
When the gravity in the ship was restored and the pool water was crashing back down, I expected to get wet. Find the person who mixed the soundtrack and give him a raise.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page