Alien: Covenant Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #1 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 3534
Alien: Covenant Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Visionary Director Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created, in this new chapter in his groundbreaking Alien franchise.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2017
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 122 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Horror

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, Michael Fassbender, Danny McBride, Demian Bichir
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Music by: Jed Kurzel
Written by: John Logan, Dante Harper
Region Code: A

Release Date: August 15, 2017

"Run…"

My Take:

The crew of the colony ship Covenant, bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world. When they uncover a threat beyond their imagination, they must attempt a harrowing escape.

I am most definitely a fan of the Alien film franchise and have been since seeing the first film in the theater in 1979. Since then, Ridley Scott’s vision of terror in space has remained alive and well over the years via a series of films, some very good, others not so much, but have been fun to watch nonetheless. Alien: Covenant picks up 10 years after the events that closed out Prometheus, following a colonization mission to a part of the galaxy that require a seven plus year journey. After an unfortunate incident the crew must be awakened in order to make repairs to the vessel, in order to safeguard the mission and the 2000 colonists that remain in hyper sleep aboard. Things take a downward turn when they intercept what sounds like a transmission of a human voice coming from nearby planet that has living conditions the are close to, if not closer, to Earth’s than the planet they were traveling to.

This is of course where the screams, bloodshed, and in this case, elements of mystery, unfold to reveal the types of horror we have seen from the Alien film franchise. Alien: Covenant has threads that connect to past films, with a direct link to Prometheus. I didn’t find that aspect of it to be all that interesting. It wound up being the central focus of the narrative, which made the events that transpire later, less effective. I liked the hybrid Alien creatures, although there was one that could have used a bit more fleshing out, seeming to have more of a background than the others. The action/horror was what you’d expect, but I would have preferred a bit more suspense to go along with it. I liked Katherine Waterston in the role of the strong heroine, and Michael Fassbender was typically solid and credible. The remainder of the cast didn’t leave an impression, but with the exception of Danny McBride (miscast in my opinion), didn’t detract in any way.

Alien: Covenant adds another layer to the Alien film series. It’s not among its better installments, but strikes enough chords to send a few chills down the spine. It would be fair to say that I found it entertaining.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi violence, bloody images, language and some sexuality/nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness:
  • Entertainment factor:

Ultra HD Blu-ray has finally been released and eager enthusiasts are ready and willing to see what it has to offer. For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Alien: Covenant comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

For its presentation in Ultra HD, Alien: Covenant was rendered from digital sources and finished on a 2K DI. The film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind and that comes through in both its 1080p and Ultra HD presentations. This isn't a colorful film however its palate of sepia tones and variants of blue/red benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing noticeably warmer and pleasing to the eye. Resolution gets a slight boost although the differences between the UHD and 1080p renderings are closer than I would have liked. Close-ups tend to be better refined with resolvable texture on surfaces and physical features being a bit easier to detect.

There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. Once things kick off, beginning with the critical event in chapter two, followed later by the first alien encounter on the planet, there is excellent use of HDR where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant, and alternatively, low level sequences had excellent depth of field and emboldened contrast. The scene where Daniels and Tennessee face off against the Alien in the finale puts everything together nicely, featuring deep, detailed blacks, offset by vivid, natural looking highlights. Viewing Alien: Covenant in Ultra HD wasn't a significantly different viewing experience from its 1080p counterpart, however I found it to be an appreciable improvement that elevated the source material.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects and music. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. During the first act, there are several instances where the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field. Beginning with the critical incident in chapter 2 followed by the lander atmosphere entry, there are a host of sounds that utilize the overhead channels, creating a wonderfully immersive, and involving listening experience. While these sequences sound very good in the standard mix, they are taken to the next level in the Amos mix, providing an idea of what the presentation has in store.

This continues with the film’s action based sequences, such as the lander rescue, that convey the breadth/expanse of the soundstage as the track bristles with enveloping ambience and discretely placed effects. Overall, I would say that viewing Alien: Covenant in Ultra HD with the Dolby Atmos mix definitely heightened the experience of watching the film.

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:

Alien: Covenant comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.

This film has an intentionally dark and reserved chromatic visual style that doesn’t lend itself to vibrant colors and glossy video quality. There are instances where brighter colors/elements are utilized and the boldly applied contrast allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images lean toward darker imagery that provides the thematic look intended to drive the story’s components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is excellent overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is a solid high definition presentation that looked great on my large screen.

This lossless soundtrack is excellent and features wide dynamic range, superlative clarity and high-level detail. Dialog is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it is located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundstage. Front and rear channel imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable.

The music score, coupled with the integration of discrete and atmospheric surround sound effects, plays an intricate role in this active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The atmospheric effects associated with the various environments featured in the story sound engagingly real. Low frequency effects are applied authoritatively and underscore the audio presentation with aplomb. Its palpable presence is never in question as it renders refined bass quality that kicks nicely and extends deep enough to engage the room.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1 Alien: Covenant Ultra HD Blu-ray
    Disc 2: Alien: Covenant Blu-ray
    • Deleted and Extended Scenes
    o Prologue (Extended)
    o Walter in Greenhouse
    o Oram and Daniels (Extended)
    o Walter Visits Daniels
    o Daniels Bedroom Flashback
    o Jacob's Funeral (Extended)
    o Ledwards Fall
    o Crossing the Plaza (Extended)
    o Daniels Thanks Walter
    o Rosenthal Prayer
    o Walter Reports Back
    o Stairs to Eggroom (Extended)
    • USCSS Covenant
    o Meet Walter
    o Phobos
    o The Last Supper
    • SECTOR 87 - PLANET 4
    o The Crossing
    o Advent
    o David’s Illustrations – Image Gallery
    • Master Class: Ridley Scott - Documentary on the making of Alien: Covenant
    • Director Commentary by Ridley Scott
    • Production Gallery
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Alien: Covenant is the latest installment in the Alien Film Franchise, and while it brings nothing new to the table, it musters up enough horror, story and production value to make for a fairly entertaining entry. It comes to Blu-ray in the Ultra HD Combo Pack from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring rewarding Ultra HD video, excellent high definition video/audio quality, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a fan friendly supplemental package. Alien: Covenant doesn’t have the chops to stand beside the best we’ve seen from the franchise, but, as I fan, I found it enjoyable. It’s certainly worth checking out on Ultra HD/Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS SB-13 Ultra (Piano Gloss finish)
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
darthray, gbaby, RMK! and 2 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 159
haven't seen this. I guess I was one of the few who didn't mind Prometheus at all, how would everyone rate Covenant to Prometheus ?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
haven't seen this. I guess I was one of the few who didn't mind Prometheus at all, how would everyone rate Covenant to Prometheus ?
Greetings,

Prometheus is better in my opinion.

Regards,
G-Rex, RonAlam and dnoonie like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater

post #4 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Promethius is a barely tolerable actioner. This film has a way to go to reach that bar.

I think it deserves a better score for UHD video, also thought the audio was quite good.

That said:
<rant>
What is it that compels Hollywood writers to make characters act like morons? These are supposed to be professional astronauts and the like. Yet at the first sign of trouble they scream and run around like idiots, ignore every known protocol for quarantine and safety, and generally put the entire mission at risk for no good reason.
Nobody ever goes anywhere with backup, they're always alone. Nobody can really be this stupid. </rant>

This was another one that was sold on eBay while it was still warm. Dumb, dumb, dumb writing.
post #5 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1874
Hi Ralph

I found myself as with most of the Alien series with more questions than answers Don't get me wrong as it's one of the elements I like that keeps the franchise going. I did find the events that unfolded in the tie to Prometheus fascinating and the noted performances you mentioned are spot on. The video had some excellent use of HDR and I'll give it some credit to being used well, great blacks and at times great image depth . On the audio side of things it can rest firmly in the reference category for superb clarity ,dynamic range and pulsing deep infrasonic's

I liked it!

Thanks for the review

Jeff
Ralph Potts and GunmetalR56 like this.
post #6 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked: 3843
great review Ralph! definitely a fun thrill ride and great visuals / reference ATMOS audio to show to guests. Can't wait to see what happens in next movie, hopefully a clean lead into the 1979 movie.

I'm guessing you're having a tough time separating Danny McBride from his land of the lost performance? Me too!
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.
post #7 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Promethius is a barely tolerable actioner. This film has a way to go to reach that bar.

I think it deserves a better score for UHD video, also thought the audio was quite good.

That said:
<rant>
What is it that compels Hollywood writers to make characters act like morons? These are supposed to be professional astronauts and the like. Yet at the first sign of trouble they scream and run around like idiots, ignore every known protocol for quarantine and safety, and generally put the entire mission at risk for no good reason.
Nobody ever goes anywhere with backup, they're always alone. Nobody can really be this stupid. </rant>

This was another one that was sold on eBay while it was still warm. Dumb, dumb, dumb writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Hi Ralph

I found myself as with most of the Alien series with more questions than answers Don't get me wrong as it's one of the elements I like that keeps the franchise going. I did find the events that unfolded in the tie to Prometheus fascinating and the noted performances you mentioned are spot on. The video had some excellent use of HDR and I'll give it some credit to being used well, great blacks and at times great image depth . On the audio side of things it can rest firmly in the reference category for superb clarity ,dynamic range and pulsing deep infrasonic's

I liked it!

Thanks for the review

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
great review Ralph! definitely a fun thrill ride and great visuals / reference ATMOS audio to show to guests. Can't wait to see what happens in next movie, hopefully a clean lead into the 1979 movie.

I'm guessing you're having a tough time separating Danny McBride from his land of the lost performance? Me too!

Greetings,

Thanks rdgrimes, Jason, and Jeff, for chiming in with your thoughts on the quality of the presentation and film. It's always great to hear the opinions of well respected members of the forum community.

Regards,
zombie10k and audiofan1 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I only get to the theaters about once a year and this movie was one I made the trip to see. It's entertaining and gave me more of Prometheus which I appreciated because I really enjoyed that film. I also didn't know certain plot points going in (which helped) as I didn't watch any trailers beforehand, I never watch trailers to movies I know I'm going to see. Recommended!
audiofan1 likes this.

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV UF
Sources: Oppo 103 / Chromecast / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT
post #9 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked: 3843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
I only get to the theaters about once a year and this movie was one I made the trip to see. It's entertaining and gave me more of Prometheus which I appreciated because I really enjoyed that film. I also didn't know certain plot points going in (which helped) as I didn't watch any trailers beforehand, I never watch trailers to movies I know I'm going to see. Recommended!
I think Convenant helped answer some of the open questions about Prometheus and went back for a follow up 3D viewing after. I now appreciate Prometheus more and the overall story of the creators + the excellent development of Walter & David.

Spoiler!
post #10 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I think Convenant helped answer some of the open questions about Prometheus and went back for a follow up 3D viewing after. I now appreciate Prometheus more and the overall story of the creators + the excellent development of Walter & David.

Spoiler!
If someone watches Prometheus and Covenant and isn't sold on Fassbender as an android, I don't know what to tell them? His eerily lifelike and robotic qualities all being displayed at once are enough reason to watch both movies. If you haven't seen the David commercial from the Prometheus blu-ray, go watch it as it is super creepy...it's awesome! Just looked, the David commercial is on youtube.

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV UF
Sources: Oppo 103 / Chromecast / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT

Last edited by Draden1; 08-18-2017 at 01:03 PM.
post #11 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

I felt Prometheus was the better film. With Prometheus, I wasn't sure what to expect where Covenant felt like a paint by numbers affair.
Lee Weber likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB12 Plus (x2)
Denon X4300H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
OPPO UDP-203 / PS4 Pro
Sony XBR75X940C
GIK Acoustics (Tri-Trap / 244 / Monster)
post #12 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I bought this UHD for my husband as he has been wanting to see this. We usually gift the Blu-Ray from the combo pack to a family friend. But it appears I will be loosing a lot of the special features by doing this. I don't understand why they can't put the special features on the UHD disc as well. We will probably watch this movie sometime this weekend. We watched "Prometheus" when it first came out I don't remember it and we don't own it. Will we still get this movie?
post #13 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Thanks for the review! And for other folks takes.

I like the suspense and mystery of the Alien movies and that it's not just a bunch of blood and guts, but yes some have not been all that good a movie. I like the first 2 the best and Prometheus was one of the best.

I think I'll hold off on purchasing this till the price drops and see it as a rental.

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated.
post #14 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

That said:
<rant>

Well, obviously the Alien franchise has been discriminatory against colonists for quite some time
post #15 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
I bought this UHD for my husband as he has been wanting to see this. We usually gift the Blu-Ray from the combo pack to a family friend. But it appears I will be loosing a lot of the special features by doing this. I don't understand why they can't put the special features on the UHD disc as well. We will probably watch this movie sometime this weekend. We watched "Prometheus" when it first came out I don't remember it and we don't own it. Will we still get this movie?
Greetings,

No worries, you'll get it.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 251
As disappointing as Covenant was overall I had to have it for my collection. Loved the Atmos track and the pulsing LFE had me grinning the whole time! Definitely enjoyed it more at home on UHD than in the theater.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB12 Plus (x2)
Denon X4300H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
OPPO UDP-203 / PS4 Pro
Sony XBR75X940C
GIK Acoustics (Tri-Trap / 244 / Monster)
post #17 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Watched this last night and enjoyed it more than I expected. Though, it wasn't the alien elements that I enjoyed--it was David. Fassbender and the writing behind his character was fascinating, I thought.

I watched the blu-ray version with the DTS mix, with the Neural:x upmixer, and I did not find myself missing atmos at all. One of the most impressive upmixes I've heard. The voice of mother was directly overhead.
post #18 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Well, obviously the Alien franchise has been discriminatory against colonists for quite some time
And Avatar? Might not just be the Alien franchise, maybe Hollywood is trying to tell us colonization of other planets is bad?

Cheers,

OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated.
post #19 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1874
QUOTE=zombie10k;54655192]I think Convenant helped answer some of the open questions about Prometheus and went back for a follow up 3D viewing after. I now appreciate Prometheus more and the overall story of the creators + the excellent development of Walter & David.
Spoiler!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah especially
Spoiler!
A lot of answers in subtle ways was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
If someone watches Prometheus and Covenant and isn't sold on Fassbender as an android, I don't know what to tell them? His eerily lifelike and robotic qualities all being displayed at once are enough reason to watch both movies. If you haven't seen the David commercial from the Prometheus blu-ray, go watch it as it is super creepy...it's awesome! Just looked, the David commercial is on youtube.
A superb performance indeed and his overall performance in both movies played homage and helped summarize all of have play the similar role before Bishop etc... Some were good and some could be considered mad or evil ! Brilliant performance
post #20 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Thanks for the review Ralph! Is there a 3d release as well or just BR/UHD?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #21 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
I felt Prometheus was the better film. With Prometheus, I wasn't sure what to expect where Covenant felt like a paint by numbers affair.
Yes, very different films. By design. PROMETHEUS is an incredibly dense, intricately layered allegory representing the ascension of man's (or "a man's") soul to the afterlife. Along the way are woven in symbolism and references to the Christian model for this journey, the resurrection of Christ, but all of it takes place in the mind-blowingly intriguing facade of a sci-fi flick.

Shaw is both the seeking human everyman protagonist, and the representation of man's striving toward a faith-based reliance. Holloway ( -- can be read literally as the "hollow way") is man's exaltation of his own ingenuity, roughly veneration and pursuit of science. They are the bonded dual facets of the human psyche in their quest of origins and meaning.

The Engineers represent a fusion of false prophets -- both formal Religion and Science. When relentlessly pursued back to their essence for ultimate spiritual revelation, these avenues yield no answers -- the Engineer is mute when queried, and recoils at being exposed -- the betrayal is laid bare -- attainment of heaven seems suddenly remote.

Ruination of "the mission," i.e., mortal death, is imminent, but Faith (Shaw) finds redemption by reestablishing an alliance with the mind/conciousness/logical thought (David) -- Shaw (Faith) literally packs up the thinking head (after her entombment in the cavern created by the vessel rolling on top of her -- as in the manner of Christ before his resurrection), and this "soul" -- bonded Faith (Shaw) and Consciousness (The David head) -- ascend toward the true genesis point -- the film ends. Of course that is absolutely just the merest overview of an incredibly rich film.

Unfortunately, such nuance seemed to be lost on the cinema-going public, thus we get COVENANT, a far far less ambitious effort, which nevertheless, it can't be forgotten, bears the genius imprint of Ridley Scott, and can be appreciated as a much more straightforward creature feature, with considerably pared back objectives....
adpayne, Spidacat and roxiedog13 like this.

Last edited by Emaych; 08-18-2017 at 05:46 PM.
post #22 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
My guess is extra features are on BD for a few reasons, first is likely the UHD did does not have enough room and since there is zero value in mastering the extra features in UHD they put it on the BD which has far more space on it.

LG 65C7P
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #23 of 62 Old 08-18-2017, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph! Is there a 3d release as well or just BR/UHD?
Greetings,

No 3D on this one Todd... sorry buddy.

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 62 Old 08-19-2017, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 51
This was god awful . . .
post #25 of 62 Old 08-19-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
If you like Prometheus, you will like this. I personally enjoyed both films, and the audio/video alone makes it worthy of a rewatch. Excellent use of HDR
post #26 of 62 Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 521
We just watched a double feature of Prometheus and Alien: Covenant last night coincidentally. UHD from an Oppo on a Kevin Miller-calibrated Samsung 88KS9810. 88" of FALD glory. And 7.1 channels of Thiel + Theta glory.

We'd seen Prometheus previously, while it was our first time with Alien: Covenant.

I really love the first half (2/3?) of Prometheus. Any film that seeks the answer to the age old question of Where Did We Come From? is okay by me. As usual though, the destination is never as good as the journey. For my part, I *did* enjoy the ties from Prometheus to A:C, and in fact we watched the first 20 minutes of Alien immediately just to continue the narrative even though I gather there will be one (two?) more films to get from A:C to Alien. And you know what? The thread is stronger than I would've remembered otherwise.

My biggest problem with A:C is that it felt more like a conscious effort to create a thread than it did an organic story. Like oh so many prequels these days, because they have to ultimately arrive at a certain point, they feel somewhat constrained to me.

Anyway, still enjoyed the evening!
Ralph Potts, audiofan1 and dnoonie like this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #27 of 62 Old 08-19-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Not what I expected but I enjoyed it very much all the same.

I thought the story line was quite good once I grasped this not going to be two hours of Aliens destroying humans non-stop. Now that I have digested it a day I think I liked it much more than I thought I did last night.

I only did a Comcast rental but the visuals are incredible on my OLED. Any of you with OLED are sure to be happy. I really try not to focus on the picture so much when watching but this looked too good to ignore.

Saying that, I will buy the UHD and see if it improves further and to improve the sound I am sure with Atmos.

It is a movie you can watch more than once in my opinion and the visuals like the early on space scenes looked inky black and rich. This movie loves OLED for those with these displays (not that it doesn't look great on projector or LCD I'm sure)

Perhaps the Alien encounter scenes were a little too quick and done. I didn't feel the encounters were as intense as movies past but a really enjoyable couple of hours none the less.

Rick
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 08-19-2017 at 10:57 AM.
post #28 of 62 Old 08-19-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Thanks Ralph

For another excellent review with your thought about the movie, and all that is related to Sound and Picture.
Another great rating for the Atmos sound

Hopefully my new Marantz AV7702mkII, come back soon from repair (buzzing noise from the rear ceiling speaker, right out of the box).
So I can finally enjoy this new sound format, because I start to have a lot movies sitting on the back burner waiting to be watch for the first time

Ray
audiofan1 likes this.
post #29 of 62 Old 08-20-2017, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Yeah I think Ridley wanted to make a more linear straightforward horror sci-fi much like the original Alien was, the numerous homages were all too obvious though which further reduced any hope for a truly great installment. However after the disaster that Prometheus was, this was easy to swallow since it aimed much lower than it's predecessor. However since it's failure to generate revenue we might never see the ending of were Scott was headed if anywhere. Shame.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #30 of 62 Old 08-20-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yeah I think Ridley wanted to make a more linear straightforward horror sci-fi much like the original Alien was, the numerous homages were all too obvious though which further reduced any hope for a truly great installment. However after the disaster that Prometheus was, this was easy to swallow since it aimed much lower than it's predecessor. However since it's failure to generate revenue we might never see the ending of were Scott was headed if anywhere. Shame.
Did you mean "numerous homages" [present in ALIEN: COVENANT] to the original ALIEN movie? Somewhat confusing usage because "homage" might more naturally apply to one director referencing another in a reverential manner, whereas in this case, Ridley Scott was the primary creative force in both movies.

So if we are talking about "connective tissue" between the two movies, yes, there was that. Whether it was "all too" obvious, makes it sound as if it was intended to be subtle, but failed on that point. No, the touchstone references to ALIEN in the present work, even including lifted passages of the original score, were intended to be noticed and provide continuity into the time frame of the original ALIEN, which familiarized viewers with images and circumstances only now being addressed with these later prequel installments, PROMETHEUS and ALIEN: COVENANT.

This is where Scott is headed, and will come full circle with at least one more entry in the ALIEN: COVENANT canon, already in pre-production, if I'm not mistaken. And of course I guess I would expect even closer matching of the next one to the original ALIEN movie which resonated so well through recent cinematic history that it sustains decades of exploration of the concepts.

Another thing: yes, maybe things are "easier to swallow" when they are less ambitious/challenging. In my view that does not make them more admirable, or even attention-worthy, in fact almost always less so, inasmuch as they don't aspire to greatness. Much as a world class runner failing to break the world record by tenths of a second might compare to your next door neighbor claiming he can run to the corner if you give him five minutes to do so -- the latter might easily succeed, but the point would be?.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page