The CG Family Theater begins! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Welcome to the CG Family Theater construction thread!

I thought I'd go ahead and post some other work we're doing on this new theater to give everyone an opportunity to see how this theater is coming along.

Some background on this build.

My neighbor was having his basement finished by the builder who did his house and was starting in less than a week. The builder had some ideas for the space, but the neighbor (I'll call him CG) wanted to ensure the room performed and just didn't look pretty. A friend of CG's told him to go do some research on AVS and he stumbled across my thread. As he looking at the name and some of the photos, he realized we were neighbors and lived one street over, although we didn't know each other. He then registered with AVS and PMed me to see if he could check out the theater and get some insight since his builders were starting in a few days.

The night he came over we spent about 4 hours talking about construction, equipment and viewing demos. He had already spoke to one theater builder who was too expensive. I told him that Jason (jikkjack) and I would be happy to work with him and his builder to help build out the room. He was scheduled to speak to another audio/video installer that Saturday and I armed him with a bunch of questions to ask him to see what he knew. I guess this thread wouldn't be in the works if it had gone in that direction.

About the unfinished room.

The room itself is already pretty isolated because it is directly underneath a single car garage. The rough dimensions are about 12.5' x 23' x 12'. All four walls are poured concrete with an opening for a double door (now framed for a 4' double door). The ceiling has steel I-beams and metal to hold the concrete poured for the garage slab. There are only two other openings besides the door, each being about 12"x18" located near the ceiling for ductwork/wires to go through.

From a concrete room to a finished theater.

What CG wanted was a room that would look great and perform. Acoustic treatments were a must, isolation was not critical due to the location and the characteristics of the room. He wanted a more contemporary look and didn't want to lose a lot of width putting in large columns. He wanted to hide the speakers, have a stage and a riser (builder wanted to put in a double riser for a third row). Seating would likely be a combination of a sofa and theater loungers. He wanted a rack, but wasn't sure where it would go. He had no preferences on equipment, but sure liked how my room sounded. He wanted all the remotes integrated into a universal remote with light control. He'd likely go with something like a Panny AX200 and possibly upgrade at some point later.

Next steps.

After seeing the room and discussing options with the neighbor, the first thing I did was put together some conceptual construction and electrical drawings for discussion points for the builder and project manager to go through. I wanted to make sure they started out on the right foot. I would go through the drawings that Monday they would start construction.

Pictures coming up shortly!

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Bud

Thats pretty awesome helping out you will have to have CG pop in here and introduce himself

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #3 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Bud,

Is that a 12 foot ceiling you quoted?
post #4 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Bud

Thats pretty awesome helping out you will have to have CG pop in here and introduce himself

I'm sure he'll jump in here at some point. Just to be clear, he is going to pay for our time for installs. We did the prewiring for him, the screen wall and the acoustic treatments for far (we tapped Bryan for the acoustic treatment plans). We still have to install the fabric track, do the fabric install and all the equipment install and hookups. To be fair though, all the up front designs, discussions, following up with the project manager, inspections, etc, I'm doing without charging or anything ... just trying to be a good neighbor and friend. We're also trying to point him the best prices on things and getting some discounts through our contacts where ever we access to do so.

We did not do the framing, electrical, drywall/mud, stage, riser, trim work or build the columns. The builder did that based on the neighbors/our recommendations. What we tried to do was ensure the gotchas were covered - correct LV done, conduit, stage filled with sand and not fixed to the walls, solid core door used, stage filled with insulation, Carlon adjustable boxes used, etc. It's moving very fast. We met on February 14 and we're almost ready for fabric and equipment.

Bud
post #5 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Bud,

Is that a 12 foot ceiling you quoted?

Yes, but it was framed down below the I beams and then filled with R-30 per Bryan's recommendation. It's about 10 feet now, the height under the soffit around the room is at 9 feet.

Bud
post #6 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I'd figured I'd start with some shots of the the raw room to give you an idea of what the space is like.

This is the view of the front wall.

Looking out through the double door, which is about 6 feet off the front concrete wall.

Shot from the front wall looking back through the door. Notice the I beam for the ceiling and one of the two openings for duct work.

Side wall and back wall (right side). You can see the ceiling here.

Back wall (exciting, huh?).

Left wall looking towards front screen wall.

Bud
post #7 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
You're an addict Bud. You don't want to move to PA by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

It's moving very fast. We met on February 14 and we're almost ready for fabric and equipment.

Wow.
post #8 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dave,

Yes, I miss the construction side of things. I'm treating this as it were my own theater and being pretty anal about it.

It helps when you have all these construction crews doing the work though and a project manager dealing with the day to day stuff.

Bud
post #9 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Very nice Bud, we should all have neighbors like yourself...
post #10 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 AM

Liked: 10
Very nice Bud, and congrats to CG (whoever you are) for joining the HT world.

As the dimensions are very similar to my theater, I am definitely interested to what is done with the room.

_________
Mark
post #11 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is one of the conceptual drawings I did to discuss with the project manager doing the work.

The drawing is not quite to scale and the placements of speakers and columns are a little off, but you get the idea. There are a few things to note here, the screen wall is 24" off the finished front wall. The screen will be 106" and the screen wall will sit on a decoupled stage that is 12" high at the highest part. The front viewing position will be just under 11' and the second viewing position will be at about 19'.

The riser will also be 12" with on step on the side built into the riser itself. it will include a single step light. A 9 foot deep 12" riser leaves about 8 feet under the soffit and under the projector. I did use the riser calculator, but plugged in the numbers to actually find the screen height, versus the riser height.

Framing was standard using 2x4 construction. A 12" x 18" soffit was included on the sides and the back walls. A wider soffit was included on the front wall to compensate for the area behind the screen wall. Small columns were included and are framed out the width of a 2x4 due to width constraints of the room. Later a decision was made to put sconces on the columns. The columns will be relatively simple, wrapped in birch and stained.

The projector will be mount at about 12' and will likely be a AX200, although based on the screen size and throw distance, a AE2000 will work nicely as well. It'll be hung on a pole from the ceiling. The support framing for it was done early on.

Due to the small width, we ended up going with in wall surrounds. These will be covered with GOM fabric. The fabric will be installed via Fabricmate track.

The rack will not be in the room, it will be housed under the stairs behind the bar he is putting in. Electrical conduit will be run to the rack, the initial cabling was run outside the conduit.

Bud
post #12 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So this was a second conceptual diagram I put together for the electrical plan. Again, this was just a discussion point. For example, we ended up adding sconces later.

A few things here to point out. We wanted to do integrated scene control, similar to what I have. By this I mean, controlling scenes by remote and being able to trigger a scene when you hit play and pause on a remote. We've included sconces, 4" cans in the soffits, step light, rope light, stage lights and a keypad for scene control. You can see where the projector will be and how the conduit will run. We won't be tying in the projector outlet into the rack for filtering, we'll use some sort of sort protection at the outlet.

On scenes, the original plan was to go down the Insteon route. He's already bought all the switches. Due to the limitations of the Insteon ControlLinc module (needs to be connected to a PC for triggers), we'll end up using these dimmers in X10 mode. That means an IR543 and a X10 ControlLinc. Almost the identical setup as I have for scene control.

A couple of other notes, there will be a switch on the outside of the theater that we'll setup to trigger a scene for the theater upon entering. The rope light was originally going to be tied to an outlet in the soffit, but will be hard wired instead. Outlets were included in the riser and extras on the back wall for power recline. All wall outlets and switches had Carlon adjustable boxes installed.

We ran all our cables/wire through one cutout in the concrete wall and instructed the electrician to run all his wiring through the other. For the most part, he complied, I think on wire ended up going through the wrong hole. He did forget a few outlets (riser and on the back wall), but other than that, good as gold.

Bud
post #13 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Looking good Bud. I will be following along with this theater's construction progress.

post #14 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah and don't forget to subscribe to this thread, wouldn't want you to miss anything.

Bud
post #15 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are a few shots of the framing. A few notes, since the whole room is concrete and there is a garage above and room that needs to be isolated immediately around it, isolation was not a real issue in this build. The room is sort of a room within a room (framed room inside a concrete room) since the ceiling framing ins attached to the wall framing and does not carry on floor above it. I'm not sure it really qualifies as a room within a room technically, but you get the point. While the framers were at it, they just did the soffit and riser before drywall. Obviously is you're trying to isolate the room, you would not do this.

Looking back at the right side of the riser. Notice the bump outs framed for columns.

Back wall above riser.

Front wall with wiring for LCR channels, CAT5E for IR and RG6 in two locations for sub.

Bud
post #16 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is some rack framing shots. he went with a Slim 5-21 rack which will be built in under the stairs.

The first is a side shot of where the rack will go under the stairs. The second is a straight on shot. There will be a half door under the rack to get access to the area under the stairs, which will include a sump pump and the the backs of some built in appliances he is putting in for the bar. This was the only good location for the rack outside the theater. Notice the conduit.

Back of the rack. We also ran wiring for in ceiling speakers for the bar and living area and HDMI/component/Cat5e to another living TV area so a cable box could be house in the rack as well.

Here is an example of what the 5-21 will look like with some equipment in it. This is not the equipment list per se, just an example of how space could be utilized.

Will post more pictures later.

Bud
post #17 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No specific shots of anything electrical. Here are a few more shots of insulation. The room was stuffed tight.

Ceiling insulation and looking back.

Good shot of the step side of the riser and three double gang boxes for the various lights. Also you can see the return ended up in the column (only place it could go and I had to push for the return). More pictures of that later.

Bud
post #18 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Drywall is complete! You can see the bump outs for the coumns. Doesn't take up too much real estate and a good place for sconces.

Around the riser area.

Side wall on step side.

Closer look at the column.

Screen wall area (guys are planning out the stage).

Bud
post #19 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As mentioned before, the guys built the 12" stage and were instructed to fill it with sand. 42 bags later the stage was done. I was gunning for the double step Sandman look, but we ended up with a nice compromise. The stage is decoupled from the side and back walls by a 1/4" all around. Only one layer of 3/4" plywood was used, so it needs to lip for the carpet needs to be beefed up.

The screen wall Jason and I built and it also is decouple from the sides and on the top plate we used foam tape and a few nails into the soffit. The screen is in hand and is a Carada 106" Criterion series 1.78 screen to accommodate mostly movies, HDTV and maybe a Wii in the future. The front of the screen wall is 24" from the back drywall.

A shot of the stage.

Screen wall unpainted and painted.

Bud
post #20 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The trim guys got done pretty quickly. You can start to see how the room is taking shape, with the birch columns wrapped around the drywall columns and the size of crown and base moldings. The crown is 5+ inches and the base molding is actually 6" that was pieced together with 1x6 pine and a cap molding. They had to accommodate the acoustic treatments we're putting in by furring out the side walls 1" before putting the base molding on and do the same one the back wall 2" for OC703.

Crown and columns on back wall behind riser.

Side wall and back wall corner. Good shot of the base molding. You'll notice the edge of the riser is flat, the flooring guys will be installing a bullnose edge that will be stained to match the columns and trim.

Opposite side of riser by step. You can see a small band going around the column, this is to hide the seam between two sections in the column. The underneath of the soffit from the floor is 9 feet, so they had to seam it. On the riser side, they also included the band to give it a consistent look.

Looking at the screenwall.

Shot by the step. Here you can see the return. It'll be painted black and will hopefully blend in with the dark espresso stain planned for the columns and trim. If you look close, the band on the column is out an inch to accommodate the 1" fabricmate track we're going to install (still waiting for it to arrive, it was suppose to be here last Friday).

Bud
post #21 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As I mentioned, we worked with Bryan to treat the room. It required 2" OC703 bass traps, 6" OC703 on the ceiling behind the screen wall, 4" on the front wall for the first two feet and 2" PC703 on the rest of the front wall and side walls behind the screen.

For the side walls, we were going to use 1" Linacoustic, but our supplier of OC703 would have had to get it elsewhere and recommended CertainTeed Ductgard which has almost the same absorption coefficients as Linacoustic and comes in 1" as well. We confirmed that it was OK with Bryan and went for it. We also need to do faced 2" OC703 on the back wall. In order to do this though, we had to fur out the area around the columns 1" before adding the 1" track to make it 2" total.

Since we didn't have the track, we just did the furring piece using 5/4" x 4" corner board from HD (the stuff people seem to not be able to find). I bought a bunch and ripped it in half the weekend before. I also cut the OC703 for the corner treatments the weekend before.

17" x 17" x 24" triangles for the corners.

Jason finished up the 6" on the ceiling and the left corner. He used 3M 77 spray adhesive in the corners and twine to hold the corner in place.

Working on the right side.

Finished front wall and first reflection points.

Bud
post #22 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned above, we had to fur out the back wall in order to accommodate the 2" faced OC703.

Shots with furring strips. You'll notice pictures on the walls. When we prewired, I took measurements of where the speaker wire was and wrote on the studs with a sharpie a reference point to measure from and the actual measurements. These pictures are for each of the individual speaker locations so I could cut holes for the inwalls.

Here is one of measurement photos closeups to give you an idea what it looks like

Bud
post #23 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the finished back wall with 2" faced OC703 in place and the cut outs for the Sonance Symphony S622Ts. They're only about 4 feet apart, which is a little narrow, but we had to deal with the column constraints and should be fine. I think Sonance recommends in their instructions between 3 and 6 feet apart.

Side walls, although we need to add another foot of the CertainTeed on the side walls to make them 5 feet. We had to double check with Bryan today about that.

Bud
post #24 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's where it is at this point. Painters should be in this week to paint the ceiling and soffits flat black. The dark espresso stain will also be applied to all the trim in the room. He and his wife are leaning towards a medium green Anchorage GOM (no too different than mine) which will look great with the black GOM screen wall, black ceiling and dark stain.

We're waiting on the track, but hope to have that in the next day or so. We're hoping to install the 1" fabric track on Thursday if we get it. After that we'll wait for the carpet to be installed before installing the fabric and hanging the screen. Once we have the screen hung, we'll get good measurements for panels for the screen wall and build the shelves for the front channels.

Bud
post #25 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Bud

CG here with a quick introduction. Yes, it is good to have a neighbor like Bud! I felt a little bit like an on-line stalker, but the pictures of his backyard and the name of his theater made me think that he just might live the cul-de-sac over from me. It was certainly an interesting way to meet my neighbor.

What you all have known for a long time, I leaned quickly: Bud a great guy and he knows his stuff (as does Jason). As Bud mentioned, I was less than a week away from my builder starting the basement when I found this place. I spent 2 or 3 VERY late nights trying to educate myself so that I could give some counsel to my builder regarding screen walls, stages, risers, necessary insulation requirements, sound isolation v. sound treatments, etc., etc.... The more I read, the more I realized that I was in WAY OVER MY HEAD.

Bud was very gracious to invite me over so quickly and spend time with me going over things - further letting me know just how over my head I was. Had Bud and Jason not had the time to meet with me and my builder, providing counsel and expertise, I was strongly considering putting that room on hold for later build-out. I did not want the room to just look nice, which the builder would have accomplished, I wanted it to perform. We'll have to see how the aesthetics turn out, but having heard Bud's theater I feel confident that it will perform exceptionally well.

Thanks to Bud and Jason!!! ... and thanks to this site for providing a forum via which I met a great neighbor!!!
post #26 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey, glad you came and checked out your thread! I hope I summed up everything accurately.

Feel free to jump in here anytime and ask questions as well, after all it's your space. Many of the folks here are helpful and knowledgeable about this stuff. They also have good ideas in case you're looking for an opinion or a different perspective.

Bud
post #27 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:

I summed up everything accurately.

Bud

I am pretty certain that accuracy and thoroughness are both synonymous with Bud

Quote:

Feel free to jump in here anytime and ask questions as well, after all it's your space. Many of the folks here are help and knowledgeable about this stuff. They also have good ideas in case you're looking for an opinion or a different perspective.

Bud

I really wish that I had found this place 4 months ago. Unfortunately, I don't know that I have time to make a whole lot of changes. Thank goodness I feel comfortable with where things are headed.

I spent the afternoon up in Dalton looking at carpet patterns. I will scan in some images of the carpet I'm looking at and put together a quick color board with the fabric and finish. I'll be heading to Sherwin Williams in the a.m. to finalize the finish selection (columns, bar, cabinetry).

Thanks!

Chad
post #28 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds good. I called Larry tonight and got some runaround on the "Where's the track" question, but he said it shipped and would email me the specifics. As I told you the other day, "I just won't go away".

Bud
post #29 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM

I have to have a 3rd post so that I can post links to possible sconces. Consider this post #3
post #30 of 189 Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM

Here are a couple of sconces I'm considering:

Option 1

Option 2
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page