Das Kino - completed on the cheap - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The theater (or Das Kino) is complete except for some finish around the PJ mount. It cost me about $3500 in materials and took 3 weeks to complete. The material costs include the cost to build some closets on the other side of the wall that the built-ins are located on. It also includes the purchase of 2 Berkline 090 recliners and 2 off brand recliners. I got a steal of a deal on them because they were slightly used, only $675 for all 4. I already had the screen, PJ, speakers and equipment. I also had the couch that is pictured. So obviously these costs are not included in the build out cost noted above.

To start I have to go back to when I built the house 8 years ago. The house is one floor on a slab. I divided the house into 3 sections with the bedrooms on one side and the TV room/my office on the other side. I insulated most of the interior walls and put doors between the 3 sections. I can watch a movie at any volume and you can here it outside but not in the bedrooms.

The side of the house with the "big TV" room has a large hall that goes the length of the TV room from the outside side entrance door to the door to the kitchen. The hall is 7 feet wide and has the washer and dryer.

Now to the theater design. The room is about 14'x21'. The door to the theater was located near the kitchen. However, the screen was already mounted on the far outside wall and to make the built-ins work I decided to move the door to the front of the room. I also needed the full width of the room to fit the chairs on a riser. This combination of factors meant that it was better to move the door then to move the screen. Moving the door also allowed me to build larger closets in the hall. Of coarse to do that I had to remove the hall kitchen door and replace it with a smaller one.

Once that was done I made the built-ins for the equipment, DVDs and for the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I built a 12" riser that is 7' long. The room had 2 windows in it. I covered one with sheetrock and blacked out the other one to have a completely light controlled room. I didn't remove the window so that the outside look would stay the same.

For paint I decided that shades of gray would be best because gray doesn't have any effect on the colors on the screen, no color cast from reflecting light. The room got a black ceiling and front wall, 2 different grays on the other 3 walls separated by a light gray for the chair rail. To add a little color we went with a dark maroon for the curtains. I put up crown molding mounted down from the ceiling and laid red LED rope light in it. The floor got a commercial grade gray carpet with speckles in it. We picked it because we thought it would hold up better to spilled foods and drink. It also came in a 15' wide version so that there would be no seams.

The PJ platform is home made. I wanted to maximize the brightness but to do that it had to be placed rather low in the walkway for the back seats. Any closer and I would not have been able to fill the screen. On the back wall the brightness would have been reduced from 30fl to 22fl. At the height that it is I am already loosing some of the advantages of the HP screen so any higher would have meant that I would have lost all of the extra gain that the HP gives. At this placement I can run my PJ at a level that greatly increases the bulb life and still have a nice bright picture.

On to the equipment.
Epson 720 - Upgraded to an Epson 8100. A nice improvement
Upgraded again to an Epson 6500UB. All I can say is, WOW!!!
Denon AVR-887 - Upgraded to a Pioneer Elite SC-25 (VERY nice) because the Denon died just 2 months out of warranty.
PS3 original 20gb - PS3 slim now after original PS3 died
A2 HD-DVD
Directv - removed, never looked good because of the compression that directv signals have
133" High Power screen
front and center speakers ED A6-5T5 - Upgraded these to larger speakers. Picked up some old ones cheap.
surround Polk FXi3
rear in-wall speakers (forgot what brand )
sub ED A2-300

I also have a computer with 2 HD cards and BTV for recording OTA HD. In the same computer there is an AccessDTV card for playback and live HD.

Netflix is actually watchable with this size using the PS3.

Added connections to my SC-25 to connect my son's Macbook to the receiver to play iTunes bought video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #3 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are some shots of the screen under different lighting conditions. The camera settings are the same on all 3 shots. I really like that we can have some lights on and it doesn't affect the picture.

No lights on:

Back lights are dimmed about half.

Back lights are on full.
post #4 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I removed the ceiling fan that was in the room and installed 4 can lights. I chose the can lights over wall lights (seem to be a favorite here) for 2 reasons. First they were easier to install. Secondly, and most importantly, they have much less affect on the picture then the wall lights. We can have some lights on and still have a great picture. I've got the back 2 lights on a dimmer, the front 2 on another dimmer and the LED lights on a 3rd dimmer. All are controlled by a remote.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Concession area is under construction although there are construction delays Information and pictures to follow.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ausgezeichnet.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
post #7 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 738
great color scheme. I feel right at home:
post #8 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I was gonna say, man, the color scheme looks familiar......

Looks very comfy.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I wanted to use a shade of gray but the wife wanted a yellow and red mixed in with the black ceiling and black front wall. After several "discussions" with her I found your thread. I hadn't thought about installing chair rail to do a two tone wall before seeing yours. After seeing yours my wife was OK with the grays.

That's how we ended up with the chair rail and 2 different grays on the other 3 walls.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like a great space. I really like the crown molding with the rope lighting. The colors are nice too.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Very nice Greg. Love the color and the seating. Johnathan

I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

See my Den to HT conversion thread !
post #12 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 05:10 PM

I like it. How far down from the ceiling is the crown molding.
I like that idea and it seems as though it would be fairly easy.
Any pointers shold I decide to try it?

Thanks,
Scott
post #13 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathan View Post

Very nice Greg. Love the color and the seating. Johnathan

The furniture is a mismatch of items that turned out to look pretty good together. As it turns out the couch and both types of recliners all have a different feel when you sit on them. Some have found the cheap no-name recliners more comfortable then the Berklines and the couch has them both beat.

Can't beat the price we paid for them. All were used but in like new condition. The couch was $400 and the chairs $675 for a total of only $1075.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

I like it. How far down from the ceiling is the crown molding.
I like that idea and it seems as though it would be fairly easy.
Any pointers shold I decide to try it?

Thanks,
Scott

It is the standard size crown molding something like 2 5/8" or something like that. I then found some stock that was 1/2" by 3/4". I placed the stock against the wall about 5" down from the ceiling so that it was sticking out from the wall 1/2". While attaching the stock to the wall I was careful to place it where it would look right. Putting it on strictly using a level or by strictly following the contor of the ceiling just would not look right since no ceiling is perfectly straight.

I then painted the wall above the stock black to match the ceiling. Next came the crown moulding which I attached to the stock on the wall. This gives more room for the rope light to sit inside the crown. It also leaves a squared off bottom to the crown. To fix this I installed a small piece of trim under the crown to make it appear as one piece.

Take a close look at the picture and you can see that it is 2 pieces.

Now installing the rope light involves a trade-off. To simply drop the rope into the crown results in un-even lighting but allows for easy change out should it ever need to be changed. The other alternative is to attach the rope to the wall after installing the stock but before the crown. This will result in a more even lighting (if you are careful to ensure that all the LEDs are facing up) but makes it impossible to change it out easily down the road. It also increases the chances of damaging the rope while installing the crown. I chose to just drop it in place and deal with a little unevenness. After it was in place I could make some adjustments but couldn't fix it completely.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Thanks Greg.
So looking at the pic above I see:

------------------Stock(the slightly lighter black in the pic)
------------------These two
------------------lines equal crown molding
-----------------Quater inch round to finish the crown.

Does the crown stick out?
Why do you need to attatch the crown to the stock as opposed directly to the sheeetrock?

Thanks for you help as I'm not super handy!!!

Scott
post #16 of 21 Old 03-26-2008, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My answers are in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Thanks Greg.
So looking at the pic above I see:

------------------Stock(the slightly lighter black in the pic)
That's the wall that you see not the stock. The stock is only 1/2" wide and 3/4" tall. The stock is hidden behind the base of the crown.
------------------These two
------------------lines equal crown molding
-----------------Quater inch round to finish the crown.
I don't know that quarter round would look good. Get something with a little more design to it then just simple quarter round.

Does the crown stick out?
Yes.
Why do you need to attatch the crown to the stock as opposed directly to the sheetrock?
You could attach it to the wall but that won't give you much room for the rope. The stock is simple to hold the crown away from the wall to increase the amount of space for the rope.

Thanks for you help as I'm not super handy!!!

Scott

Read through this thread. Look at the attached doc in post #18.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My receiver died just about 2 months out of warranty. I thought Denon was suppose to be better then that. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I was forced to look for another receiver and while researching it I came across the Pioneer Elite SC-25. I thought it was going to be way out of my price range but I stumbled across an un-advertised sale at BB. It was marked down to just 3 figures !!! Couldn't pass up such a great deal.

Well I got it home and set it up, which was extremely easy, and this thing blows away the Denon I had. Either the Denon was defective all along and finally died or this SC-25 is far superior (or both). There is no comparison between the two. I hope that this Elite lasts longer then the Denon did.
post #18 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Nice!

One Suggestion. Move the sub to the side of the couch (or anywhere else) if possible. You are getting a significant reflection from the center channel of that sub that will upset dialog intelligibility and pans.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #19 of 21 Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Nice!

One Suggestion. Move the sub to the side of the couch (or anywhere else) if possible. You are getting a significant reflection from the center channel of that sub that will upset dialog intelligibility and pans.

Thanks for the tip. I've actually got a line next to the couch for a sub connection.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Man, I love that color scheme, great room!
post #21 of 21 Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

It's beautiful.
I've been racking my brain for a color scheme with a WAF that would be ok... I think this just topped my list.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page