AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Well, well, well.

Still need to wear protection, though (ALWAYS a good thing...wink wink nudge nudge).

You might have mentioned that say 10 weeks ago. Yes, ladies and germs, I have a whole new distraction/motivation to finish the basement...

That's right... a nursery....

Apparently one kid (make that a six year old) was not enough.

He shoots... He scores!!!!

Yes I have not posted lately but I have had other things on my mind... and a nauseated wife.

Tried to have a second kid for a few years but kind of threw in towel a few years ago...but never really put a reliable goalie in place to stop the little swimmers... and one found its mark.

Now I have to get my basement done pronto so I can start converting the spare bedroom upstairs to a nursery. She wants to replace the carpet with wood, paint... blah, blah, blah...

Six days without a post on this thread... What is going on. I turn my back for a life changing event (to put in mildly) and sure enough you slackers are out golfing, mowing, playing with the kiddies... Should we put this whole thread on hold while you panzies sit in the shade on your clearance lawn furiture drinking lipton with artificial sweetner telling your neighbors about the HT that will be (or more likely not be) someday.

"Psssst..." that was the sound of another can of HT woop A$$ that I just opened up and you best get ready for your fair share... Motivation...Oh, I got me some. How bout you???

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 - The year of the Shed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3644 Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Congrats !!! All the best to you and your family, great news....

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #543 of 3644 Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I set one up for a friend no problem. No need to change timing or anything and all the commands work. Have you tried deleting it and reinstalling as a device once again?

I am pretty sure I have a cpl times, but all do it again toniught and see what I get... Stupid remotes...

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE

post #544 of 3644 Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
At least we know what RP was doing while he was MIA. I'm sure it was torture. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. One week reprieve. Then suck it up and get back to work!

Congratulations!

Given the overall lack of progress by just about everyone else, there better be some more stories like RP's in the near fututre or there WILL be some serious being made fun of.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #545 of 3644 Old 06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Had my younger brother over for dinner last night with his girl, so I didn't get second coat of primer till today. Rec room starting to really take shape. Going on vaca tomorrow to D.C. when I get back it will be time to dricore the rest of the basement WOOHOO!!!

Things should move a lot faster now.

post #546 of 3644 Old 06-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

RP... that one moment of weakness will cost you dearly my friend

I am such a NOOB at A/V..

post #547 of 3644 Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
So apparently I've been failing my sacred duties as the prime Loganatee and haven't been posting my progress here...

Well big boy, inspection is happening tomorrow and then it's drywall time. And given that I'll likely be using your drywall lift, you can be rest assured not to finish before me. ppfffttt!

Michael

post #548 of 3644 Old 06-25-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Going on vaca tomorrow to D.C. when I get back it will be time to dricore the rest of the basement WOOHOO!!!

Enjoy the city. You'll be joining us just as the weather gets muggy and oppressive. And don't mind the locals (like me) who get bitchy when the tourist stand on the wrong side of the escalators and call our Metro a subway...

Michael

post #549 of 3644 Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

So apparently I've been failing my sacred duties as the prime Loganatee and haven't been posting my progress here...

Well big boy, inspection is happening tomorrow and then it's drywall time. And given that I'll likely be using your drywall lift, you can be rest assured not to finish before me. ppfffttt!

*YOU* are the Prime one?

All Hail Cathan! King of the Slow Ones! Ruler of the Turtles and Slugs!

Does the Loganator allow you to dispense witisizms and beratings too?

Gotta get back to my regular duties!

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #550 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Enjoy the city. You'll be joining us just as the weather gets muggy and oppressive. And don't mind the locals like me you get bitchy when the tourist stand on the wrong side of the escalators and call our Metro a subway...

I guess D.C. folks and Boston folks have similar attitudes . We'll get along fine. I'll remember to call it the metro, yes we do call it the subway here. Looking at the forecast in D.C. it's saying muggy and rainy, bummer

post #551 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess D.C. folks and Boston folks have similar attitudes . We'll get along fine. I'll remember to call it the metro, yes we do call it the subway here. Looking at the forecast in D.C. it's saying muggy and rainy, bummer

You'll be fine. heck, you may get lucky and not see any locals. I hear they all hide during tourist season ;-)

Enjoy the trip. An afternoon walk through Arlington and an evening walk from the Lincoln Memoroal to the Jefferson Memorial through the FDR memorial is wonderful. If you start about 1 hour before dark and return after dark, you'll see the beauty of the FDR at night.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #552 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 AM

Oman,

If you have time in your schedule and have any interest in seeing a non downtown sight, try the Udvar Hazy center over by Dulles Airport. Its the Air and Space annex for the smithsonian. They have, among other things, the shuttle Enterprise, an SR-71, and a whole history of flight/space travel. Its pretty cool if you have any interest in that type of stuff.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #553 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cathan, carboranadum -

You boys just fight amongst yourselves. Don't work on your builds or anything, just go ahead and fight amongst yourselves. Remember, no blood, no tears.

oman321 -

Too bad I'll be out of town this weekend, or we could maybe hook up for a quick meet 'n greet. Have fun here in DC. The thing about the summer weather here is to EXPECT a thundershower every day between about 5 & 7. Especially when it's above 90. They usually blow through in about 20 minutes or so. Just enough to wet everything down and make the humidity worse. Have fun!

Tom Logan

post #554 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, looking foward to the trip. Gonna see as much as we can.

Would've been nice Tom, pretty full agenda this time around anyhow. Maybe next time around.

I'm off to the airport, have a great weekend everyone. I'll be checking in if I have a chance so keep procastinating and disputing, uhhhh I mean working and building ya that's what I meant.

post #555 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cathan, carboranadum -

You boys just fight amongst yourselves. Don't work on your builds or anything, just go ahead and fight amongst yourselves. Remember, no blood, no tears.

Fighting? Whao says we're fighting? I really did wonder who the number one Loganator was. Michael's making solid progress, and I'm glad to see it's someone who reallyhas a chance of lapping you. I suspect he'll be the first to trip up the Loganator.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #556 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe the cynic in me misunderstood. MAYBE. But a little pot stirring (that's the nice word for it) never hurts MY chance to finish first.

Tom Logan

post #557 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe the cynic in me misunderstood. MAYBE. But a little pot stirring (that's the nice word for it) never hurts MY chance to finish first.

sheeeshh. As if.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #558 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I might as well let Tom know that I passed all of my inspections. That should give me a nice momentum boost.

I also told the inspector to keep a critical eye open for any theater builds in the Sterling area these next few months. I mentioned that I heard that some guy up there spends more time running his mouth then using sound construction methods.

Sabotage is allowed, no?

Michael

post #559 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent. The whole plan is coming together!

Follow my build here:
post #560 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HEY! I'M supposed to be doing the jokes here. You guys better watch yourselves or I'll call in RPhdrew off maternity leave and him open up one of those big 'ol tall boy cans of whoop theater on your butts.

Tom Logan

post #561 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HEY! I'M supposed to be doing the jokes here. You guys better watch yourselves or I'll call in RPhdrew off maternity leave and him open up one of those big 'ol tall boy cans of whoop theater on your butts.

..those were jokes? You really think RPhdrew is on your side? He could be a double agent sent by Control to thwart your KAOS butt.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #562 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

He could be a double-double-agent sent by KAOS to Control to thwart KAOS.

Then I'll just have to call my trusted minion Craw! (NOT Craw, you idiot.....CRAW!)

Hymie...kill the light.

Could be two smokers and THREE nonsmokers. Ahhh, but could be two smokers and FOUR nonsmokers...or two smokers and FIVE.....

Tom Logan

post #563 of 3644 Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

RPhdrew off maternity leave.

ROFL

Quote:

him open up one of those big 'ol tall boy cans of whoop theater on your butts.

Too late... Already OPEN!!!!

booo haaaaa haaaaaa

Yes, though I did just bring a crib upstairs...I am taking a weeks vacation. One more shift... tomorrow... then 10 glorious days OFF. Yes, I will be spending a little time around some water and a friend's brand new ski boat... HOWEVER...that can is open and your cup will runth over...

No more diddling around. No more Mr nice guy... (who am I kidding, right dough boy!!!)

The stain will stain, the riser will rise, the lights will light, and the bar will intoxicate.

This is agent "consider-it-done" and my tape recorder just self destructed.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #564 of 3644 Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

As we approach the closure of the first quarter of the Loganator Challenge, it is now time to summarize the status of each of our builds. This will allow the audit firm to properly account for the status of the challenge.

We will start with the first eleven recipients of the Logan Challenge. Ten of the first eleven are endeavoring to buid home theaters, while BritInVA accepted the challenge for proposed work to refit his master bedroom ceiling and the construction of a screened in porch (his theater is awesomely complete).

We are tracking the top eleven as our firm specializes in using all eleven of our fingers. This is not to diminish the good work being done by those challengers further down on the list. We are simply unable to to muster up the courage to remove our shoe (singular) to use the additional 4 digits present. This is a family-friendly thread, so we'll be unable to discuss using our additional single digit counting device.

So without further adoo, we present the list of the original eleven:

Cathan - 04/02/08 (The PRIME ONE!)
BigMouthinDC - 04/02/08 (Self Accepted Challenger)
BritInVA - 04/02/08 (Master bed ceiling and screened porch)
BFauska - 04/02/08
Funston - 04/03/08
carboranadum - 04/03/08
oman321 - 04/03/08
cheapmonkey - 04/03/08
rmcveigh - 4/03/08
fcaico - 4/04/08
mtbdudex AND his 3 kids- 04/04/08

Now, to properly report status, we ask that respondents utilize one of the phases listed below as an indicator of the phase that they are currently in. In addition, please list the most recent milestone completed (again, please choose from the list provided). Give a date that this milestone was reached. A narrative of the plans that you have may be included, as can an unrealistic estimate for date of completion.

Phases:
In planning
Framing
Subsystem (specify subsystem - electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.)
Insulating
Drywalling
Trimming
Flooring
Finishing
Procrastinating
Done

Milestones:
Wild Ass Ideas Formed
Plan Completed
Permits Pulled
Asked Significant Other for Permission
Framing Complete
Electrical Complete
Plumbing Complete
HVAC Complete
Inspections Complete (specify system inspected)
ReInspections Complete
Insulation Complete
Drywall Complete
Budget Blown
Stage Complete
Riser Complete
Trim Complete
Flooring Installed
Final Inspections Completed
Significant Other Satisfied (with the construction work, you prevert)
Remote Programmed

You may also include a hilarious budget estimate should you choose to humor the firm. Witty retorts, exhaltations of falsehoods, and mother comments are desired, but not required.

Thank you for the time.

Carboranadum, Biggy, and Some Dude Named Craig.

Follow my build here:
post #565 of 3644 Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well my projects don't really fit the phases / milestones.

The screened porch is currently on hold - we decided in current housing market was not worth it. May revisit but for now we are going to concentrate on indoor projects.

The Master bedroom ceiling will not get started until Sept as will mean us moving into guest room so need to wait until the guest season is over.

Not that I'm sitting around idle......I did complete the deck project (stripped to wood, added an arbor and re-stained) and had a leaking window that had to be fixed. Summer projects will likely be building some custom desks/storage in basement for kids computers and other crap......and I might start tearing down some of the garage ceiling to fix some insulation issues (master bed getting too hot or too cold).

=====================================

index on 1st post

post #566 of 3644 Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Let's see progress since the challenge.

Replaced SD DVD player with the newer Oppo 983, but still sitting on the sidelines deciding about which Blu machine to get. Maybe a PS3 and some driving games.

Hung first of two back-lit poster fames, need to make the other.

Ordered a new HDMI matrix switcher that will hopefully correct some handshake HDCP issues.

Charged up my un-programed remote.

Ordered and received all 10 bar stools.

Used George's check to get a 47 inch LCD for the beach condo, Hung it and hooked up old Oppo 971.

Set 20 year old 17 inch sharp TV missing on/off button (it was hot wired in the on) on the curb in front of condo. It was gone in 20 minutes.

Watched about 40 movies.

Vacuumed the dust in my theater a couple of times, wiped off the chairs with leather cleaner/conditioner.

Been doing a total rehab of the first floor half bath.

Laughed at Tom's feeble attempts at catching up. I think some of you will finish before Tom passes all his close-in inspections. Today he is probably outside waving his metal clubs in the air, challenging the thunder gods to strike his foursome.

PROJECTS:

post #567 of 3644 Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Cathan - 04/02/08 (The PRIME ONE!)
BigMouthinDC - 04/02/08 (Self Accepted Challenger)

Is this a Revisionist approach to history? Check Tom's original post#1.

PROJECTS:

post #568 of 3644 Old 06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Is this a Revisionist approach to history? Check Tom's original post#1.

No, it was an oversight on my part. I believed Cathan when he said he was the prime one...I even read the first few posts to make sure that I had it right. In the end, I messed up. The Logan Challenge was indeed a small skirmish between you and Tom. It's been blown way out of proportion, but that will give Tom something to keep himself busy with while we are working on our theaters.

We need to tell Michael that he's not the PRIME one...

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #569 of 3644 Old 06-29-2008, 11:49 PM

Considering that some of my milestones were to actually buy the house and move in I don't think I'm doing too bad. And depending on how the "planning" phase plays out I could be at milestone "Done" (you know, if I just decided that as soon as it was watchable everything else was tweaking.)

Phase: Planning

Milestone(s): Purchased house, moved in, cleaned up basement (moving mess and shabby carpet remnant), hung screen, placed speakers, hung PJ, hooked up equipment, re-purposed remote out of HT setup and into living room, watched The Matrix, watched some more movies.

I should be a cheating bastard and call this version 1.0 and be finished until building 2.0 when several other projects get completed, but I don't think that would be cool at all. Instead I'll admit that the fully functional system is actually a HUGE hurdle to the completion of the actual room that I see in my head. Oh, well, at least it's a fun hurdle to watch. I do have some dark paint to make the temporary set-up even more tolerable, but that will only move me further from the end goal when I put it on the walls.

My whiny excuse for the expected loooooonnnnnnnnngggggg term nature of this project is that since we just bought the house and it's over 60 years old we have many projects to do in the already finished portions of the house and many of those rely on the basement continuing to be unfinished (actually some would be better if the basement was even less finished, ie. remove drywall from ceiling to access old knob and tube wiring and replace with Romex.) AND I need to remove a chimney that runs right through the middle of the house and is not hooked to anything any more.

I love NEW technology, it makes the stuff I can afford even cheaper.
post #570 of 3644 Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm back fella's, good to see I haven't missed much. Had a great time in D.C. Beautiful City, Beautiful People. Suprisingly enough, I got to enjoy some time in the river with my sister's friends, who have a jetski and boat. The museums were very good, the Holocaust museum was bone chilling. Lots of walking around though, very tired from the trip.

Getting back at it tomorrow.

As far as phases and milestones, it was a huge milestone getting the walls in the rec. room primed on 6/25. Happy to be moving on to the dricore tomorrow, once this phase is complete I'll be moving on to finishing/framing the screenwall/proscenium and start to do my cloth frames for the room. Good things are coming.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page